Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Well, part of the charm of the Final Fantasy franchise is that literaly *anything* can be a Final Fantasy game as long as it's a fantasy setting (no matter if medieval, high fantasy, urban, cyber/steampunk...) and most of the usual tropes (creatures, crystals, invocations, etc.) are in there. I'd imagine there's a metric fuckton of prototypes throughout the years that are being sold internally as FF and end up being something completely different and the other way around.
Maaan I miss My Life as a King so much, they could do so much more with a sequel.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like if they didnt focus their most financially risky projects to just one platform (PS5) they would be in a much better place.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like if they didnt focus their most financially risky projects to just one platform (PS5) they would be in a much better place.

The last 3,4 years were Square's best years. They're not doing badly and are not in a bad place. Even with this loss, they'll probably still be making a profit this year. This is them cutting necessary losses and taking painful steps to improve their use of resources.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
The last 3,4 years were Square's best years. They're not doing badly and are not in a bad place. Even with this loss, they'll probably still be making a profit this year. This is them cutting necessary losses and taking painful steps to improve their use of resources.
We won't ever know this but I'd be interested to see what they cut and with what reason, meaning where did they divert that money/staff to and what outcome did that have. Like did some AAA games come out faster than they would have. Were they able to make more big budget games in a smaller time span. I'd also like to get an idea of a game they aren't going to develop any longer that got cancelled.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
We won't ever know this but I'd be interested to see what they cut and with what reason, meaning where did they divert that money/staff to and what outcome did that have. Like did some AAA games come out faster than they would have. Were they able to make more big budget games in a smaller time span. I'd also like to get an idea of a game they aren't going to develop any longer that got cancelled.

It'll be but we probably won't know, and even if the information comes out eventually it'll be many years from now.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Capcom only means quality is your favorite franchise is lucky to be the ones to be alive. If it isnt capcom means nothing
Couldn't this be said about any studio that stopped making games for any franchise we like. And wouldn't I just be lectured about how those games weren't selling high enough and how no one is obligated to make the games I want.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Man, this bums me out. Squarenix are such a classic publisher. It's a bummer that they seem to be canceling so many projects, and also a bummer that FF VII Rebirth doesn't seem to have done particularly amazing so far, it's odd considering how incredible the reviews were.

It feels like Square is in a tough position. Thier tentpole games are these massive, expensive AAA behemoths, and thier audience seems to be shrinking. I'm sure the delay of the new Dragon Quest isn't helping either, but it still feels like their biggest recent failure is their strict exclusivity deals with Sony. Maybe that made the games better in the end, which is great, but it feels strange that Final Fantasy isn't getting way better sales and more hype when it knocks it out of the park so confidently. Hopefully these changes also mean we at least get day and date PC ports of their FF and other big games, and more than anything. hopefully they right the ship.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
final fantasy as a series is hardly a rpg now a days though. At least compared to depth of other RPG's

So that bums me out too.

Gonna pile on this heap. Go play Rebirth or at the very least go look up some build videos on YouTube. The party customization and RPG mechanics are very deep with tons of potential for breaking the game open in a number of ways.

Gonna go out on a limb and say it has the most in depth RPG mechanics and customizability for an FF game since XII by a good margin.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
So IIRC this is the new structure of SE right now, correct me if I'm wrong.

CBU1 -> Creative Studio 1:
- Department leader is Naoki Hamaguchi, director of FF7 Rebirth. The previous head of the department when it was formerly known as Creative Business Unit 1 was Kitase.

CBU2 (?)
- Not sure any information has come out about them yet, other than the director of the DQ franchise being transferred over to leading the mobile department?

CBU 3 -> Creative Studio 3:
- Naoki Yoshida remains the studio head. No known changes besides the studio name, if any.

CBU4 (?)
- Not sure any information has come out about them yet, other than the director of the DQ franchise being transferred over here?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

- Department leader is Naoki Hamaguchi, director of FF7 Rebirth. The previous head of the department when it was formerly known as Creative Business Unit 1 was Kitase.

CBU2 (?)
- Not sure any information has come out about them yet, other than the director of the DQ franchise being transferred over to leading the mobile department?

- Naoki Yoshida remains the studio head. No known changes besides the studio name, if any.

CBU4 (?)
- Not sure any information has come out about them yet, other than the director of the DQ franchise being transferred over here?
Kitase must be fully focused on his role as FF brand manager now I assume.

What's interesting is they made Hamaguchi head of not just the Remake team but also technically the Osaka KH team.

I hope we get news on what CS3 is working on for the financial report.

icecream

Oct 27, 2017
So going by the franchises that had a release within the last 7 years, is this the common assessment to make?

ZuwRydd.png
Why is this list missing franchises?

Nier? Drakengard? Chrono?

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
I mean, yes. That's what people don't understand (cause, reading, hard), the company makes bank. Even with that 22 billion yen loss, they'll still make bank, actually they haven't (yet) announced they were revising downwards their forecast (50 billion yen net profit.)

idiotmode

Jul 30, 2022
Kitase must be fully focused on his role as FF brand manager now I assume.

What's interesting is they made Hamaguchi head of not just the Remake team but also technically the Osaka KH team.

I hope we get news on what CS3 is working on for the financial report.
I doubt we'll get any updates on what Creative Studio (feels weird to say after like 4 years of CBU) 3 are working on for at least another year or 2, and that's assuming it was already in some manor of pre-production before the launch of XVI. Seeing as it's apparently the most unchanged studio by this so far (we'll see how that changes soon obviously), I expect it'll just be them using XVI's tech on their coming title like Kujiraoka alluded to earlier this month since that was apparently post the restructuring happening.

Guess what I mean is that I would be surprised if instead of like a Nintendo Switch 2 direct (maybe?) or Square Enix Presents or Playstation Showcase they announced a new AAA in an investor's call would be a bold marketing move. I mean obviously we know they're working on something they've brought it up like 4 or 5 times now in the DLC and pre DLC interviews but it seems a bit early to hear much about it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
So going by the franchises that had a release within the last 7 years, is this the common assessment to make?

ZuwRydd.png
Just to note, Taito is sort of it's own thing on the side and it's unlikely this restructure is impacting them directly.

It feels like we're in the middle of a turnaround. The last two were great. I hope they don't kill it now.
I think SO will continue but maybe not with tri-Ace developing.

CBU2 (?)

CBU4 (?)
Midori made mention of "Creative Studio 2" as being a thing when she talked about DQXII being moved entirely under Saito.