belairjeff

J->E Localization
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took them long enough to realize that the exclusivity deals are limiting their IP's potential.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope start releasing day 1 on PC! We've seen so many JRPG franchises find a solid audience on Steam, it's insane they've never given their games a fighting chance there yet.

can't find it in the attached file; only one reference to Rebirth

and the target was 360,000 for revenue and 55m for OI. Small miss on revenue massive miss on the OI

Isn't the miss largely due to their massive write-off they did a few weeks ago though? IIRC that was ~22 billion yen which is how much they were off for their earnings estimate.

Or is that only coming into play next year?

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
DQ XII and KH IV are gonna be multi I guess.

They would need to pay way too much for SE to skip Switch as well. It was easier when it was only Xbox in the console space.

DQ already was multiplat with 11, it came out on PS4 and DS. Effectively different versions of the games but still released on both day 1. So all they need to do is throw in PC and there already there. Maybe Xbox if MS is willing to write a check

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I like their business plan title lol
The Group has formulated a new medium-term business plan (covering the fiscal year ending March 31, 2025 through the fiscal year ending March 31, 2027) entitled "Square Enix Reboots and Awakens – 3-years of Foundation-Laying for Long-term Growth –."

Parts about smart devices games (or SD games as they call it)

In addition, the Group will strive to increase its success rate in SD games by launching a carefully curated selection of titles. It will additionally explore ways to leverage its rich library of IP.

In addition, it will also devise a platform strategy for SD titles that includes not only iOS and Android, but also the possibility of PC launches.

So hopefully more Ever Crisis (released on Steam) and less The First Soldier (which was smart devices only).

The part about the business landscape is also interesting

As a result of digitization and other technological advances, consumer game content is increasingly sold via downloads rather than physical packages. Monetization methods such as free-to-play, microtransactions, and subscriptions have also given rise to a greater diversity of business models outside the confines of traditional one-off sales. As such, the consumer game market continues to grow. New releases tend to be met with either marked success or marked failure as players throng to a handful of major titles. In the market for games for smart devices, increasingly sophisticated smartphones are making customers demand even richer gaming experiences and enabling greater diversity in game design and business models. Content scale is also mounting as smartphone games traverse the globe and multiple types of devices, enabling continued growth in the size of the market. Meanwhile, a familiar list of titles continues to dominate the upper end of the smart device game rankings in Japan, and the entrance of Asian players into the Japanese market has intensified competition, reducing the odds of new titles succeeding.
So they are probably referring to games like Genshin Impact, raising the bar on mobile gaming.

And how difficult it is to release a new game that can break into the market because people stick to the same games.

And this part about overseas studios.
Rebuild overseas business divisions from the ground up

The Group has begun optimizing costs at its European and American offices via structural reforms. It will also promote intra-Group collaboration in Japan and abroad and strengthen the functions of its London development site. For example, the Group intends to work to strengthen the close collaboration between its divisions in Japan (creative studios and publishing) and to enable greater mobility of talent between them and the Group's publishing functions overseas.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Considering SE's history of losing big money during the mid-2010s, its hard to blame them in taking safer moneyhat deals. Im glad this means SE is no longer reliant on these deals and can now take risks with their IPs. Now, hopefully they fix their PC ports.

Fair point, but that Squeenix continued doing so several years after the likes of Capcom and Sega begun reaping the benefits of leaving timed exclusivity behind just strikes me as needlessly reckless and a completely unnecessary self-own that they're only now cognizant of due to the PS5 exclusivity of FF16 and FF7 Rebirth backfiring somewhat.

But, hey, better late than never!

Last edited:

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
This probably means more for Nintendo systems than those already getting their software, even if late.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Good, this recent period of console exclusivity to PS5 for certain titles was so short sighted and clearly not tenable in the current market conditions. The more users that get to play these games the better.

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
Is the monkey paw that EGS will claim whatever it can on PC? They still have KH in a chokehold. Or am I mistaken, and that this means no more of that as well?

Jibberhack

Oct 30, 2017
We've definitely been here before. It's a lesson that they seemingly have to learn every couple generations. Hope it sticks this time.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Even some random guy on the street could have told them the exclusivity of Rebirth was a bad idea. Skipping PC sales, no Xbox (debatable if that's even worth it) for a year...Sony's amount probably doesn't cover it, and now the Switch 2 is most likely going to be a good candidate for new Square Games, they would be crazy not to focus on multiplatform.
For the love of all that is holy they better not make it Epic Exclusive on PC either.

OP
OP
orzkare

orzkare

Apr 9, 2020
Japan
can't find it in the attached file; only one reference to Rebirth
and the target was 360,000 for revenue and 55m for OI. Small miss on revenue massive miss on the OI
😭😭😭😭😭

The operating income is almost in line with the plan, excluding content disposal loss(22.1b yen).

www.resetera.com

Square Enix have recorded a "content disposal" loss of ¥22.1B ($140.9m) as a result of "various changes in the environment surrounding the group." News

https://twitter.com/MauroNL3/status/1785192844258336778 https://gamebiz.jp/news/385383

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Switch 2 will absolutely handle Rebirth and 16. I dont know why anyone would even be concerned about this. There's gonna be some cutbacks, 60 fps mode will not be present , but the games will run and look fine. Rebirth runs on UE4, a certain wizard game on the same engine can run on Switch 1 with some segmenting.

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
Can someone explain what optimizing development footprint means because it sounds like layoffs to my ignorant ears.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Yes the Switch 2 can handle both games. Its on modern architecture, has plenty of RAM, and can lower settings and resolution in tandem with DLSS to run those games. It likely won't have 60fps performance modes but it should be an even better state than something like The Witcher 3 on Switch.
I know it definitely can handle Remake and probably 16 but even on the PS5 those Summon battles/cutscenes are far from stable but those can probably just take res drop and be ok. Then Rebirth with how open the zones are with the geometry level and basically no loading, I don't even think any ps4 game can do that. Plus, with the 3rd game coming out essentially being even bigger. I guess we'll see but I feel you'd have to do a lot more than just lower the resolution and add DLSS. Then again, the switch 2 isn't out yet so we'll see.

They will probably just exclude the Switch 2 for games that aren't viable, or it will be late ports to put extra work in. It'll probably be like day 1 PS, PC, Xbox and then Switch 2 only if possible
This is more in line with what I'm thinking, otherwise I feel they'd have to design all their games with the switch 2 in mind which would affect the games ambition to a specific level if we assumed Rebirth is just the path forward. Like Xbox, PC and PS5 day one I can see. Like I posted above though maybe I'm not giving the Switch 2 enough credit as nobody has seen what it can even do yet.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Screenshot_2024-05-13-08-53-09-433_com.google.android.apps.docs-edit.jpg

reksveks

May 17, 2022
The operating income is almost in line with the plan, excluding content disposal loss(22.1b yen).

www.resetera.com

Square Enix have recorded a "content disposal" loss of ¥22.1B ($140.9m) as a result of "various changes in the environment surrounding the group." News

https://twitter.com/MauroNL3/status/1785192844258336778 https://gamebiz.jp/news/385383
Its not

View: https://imgur.com/a/oefbYr8

Loss on disposal of content is an extraordinary cost and isn't including when calculating OI

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Even some random guy on the street could have told them the exclusivity of Rebirth was a bad idea. Skipping PC sales, no Xbox (debatable if that's even worth it) for a year...Sony's amount probably doesn't cover it, and now the Switch 2 is most likely going to be a good candidate for new Square Games, they would be crazy not to focus on multiplatform.
For the love of all that is holy they better not make it Epic Exclusive on PC either.

I think people vastly overestimate the amount of money SE got out of these deals.
There are people who actually believe that Sony paid for the developpement of Rebirth in exchange of a mere 3 months of exclusivity.
We're talking about a +100 million dollars title.
Considering how careful they can be with 1st party titles money and budget, they didn't pay that much money for a temporary exclusivity deal.

Especially not for 3 months. I would be very surprised if the amount was higher then 10 million.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is really beyond the exclusivity deals, and more of the fact that their tech and dev pipeline is not built at all to handle multiplatform development. If it were, PC ports of FF would be ready the moment those deals ended, yet there's no FF16 yet and FF7 Rebirth is probably a year away, despite only having a 3 month window.

This is something their competitors in Japan have all figured out across Bandai Namco, Capcom, Sega, so Square is the last holdout.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
This is a freaking celebration y'all.

youtu.be

Kool & The Gang - Celebration

REMASTERED IN HD!Official Music Video for Celebration performed by Kool & The Gang. Stream Kool & The Gang: https://lnk.to/YY8v1Follow Kool & The GangInstagr...

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
So part vii 3 since a few months back they said the whole trilogy has the same deal with ps, that will be the last exclusive and 17 whenever that is will be multi? hopefully

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
I like their business plan title lol

Parts about smart devices games (or SD games as they call it)

So hopefully more Ever Crisis (released on Steam) and less The First Soldier (which was smart devices only).

The part about the business landscape is also interesting

So they are probably referring to games like Genshin Impact, raising the bar on mobile gaming.

And how difficult it is to release a new game that can break into the market because people stick to the same games.

And this part about overseas studios.
First step, stop calling mobile games "SD games". They are HD now.

www.resetera.com

Keep in mind Yan suffered devaluation recently. It's 15% weaker than a year ago. Their operating income should increase accordingly. The fact that there is no increase suggests some of their games must have missed sales target.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Not losing the boat with the Switch 2 is gonna be good at least. Took a while but it's gonna be worth it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but do we know if Part 3 of FF7R will be a PS5/6 only title at launch? Cause I would assume that some deals like that would have been made and are still active even before this shift.