chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
If they do bring Remake and Rebirth to switch, it better not be on cloud...

Didn't they do that with KH on switch and that pissed off a lot of people?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Correct me if I'm wrong, but do we know if Part 3 of FF7R will be a PS5/6 only title at launch? Cause I would assume that some deals like that would have been made and are still active even before this shift.

We know nothing about that game at all.

Though I hope no one is getting their hopes up for it to be multiplatform at launch, as there could already be a contract in place with Sony for that.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's some good news!
Hopefully they'll finally have some real sales on PC too - it's laughable that FFVII Remake is still at 80 Euros and goes on sale for like 40 or so.

Also stuff like Nier 1 remake - always more expensive than Automata and less successful.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Did they already have their earnings call? I would be surprised if no shareholders asked them to address Rebirth sales at all.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Speaking on FF7 Remake project, the exclusivity deal with Sony was probably needed at the time for the project to take off safely. It's probably a mutual benefit deal for Sony and SE at the time.

And I reckon the Sony money + sales of Remake (7m+ ?) probably reached expectation for them to continue and make Rebirth as big of a game as it is.

But for sure it hurts the sales of Rebirth when it's only available on PS5 (and losing PS4), it seems the exclusivity period was shortened so hopefully it'll launch on PC soon. I do wonder if they'd renegotiate with Sony re: exclusivity for the last game.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
First step, stop calling mobile games "SD games". They are HD now.

Keep in mind Yan suffered devaluation recently. It's 15% weaker than a year ago. Their operating income should increase accordingly. The fact that there is no increase suggests some of their games must have missed sales target.

They're SD as in smart devices, not standard definition. I was puzzled by the term until I saw it stating that it's referring to Smart Devices/PC Browser.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do we know if Part 3 of FF7R will be a PS5/6 only title at launch? Cause I would assume that some deals like that would have been made and are still active even before this shift.

Would not expect them to go PS6. Probably end of gen release. Then they'll upscale/remaster to re-release the games on the PS6 again.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
If they do bring Remake and Rebirth to switch, it better not be on cloud...

Didn't they do that with KH on switch and that pissed off a lot of people?

People were upset about the KH series being on cloud because they could run on Switch natively. There were already 30fps HD remasters on PS3.

Remake and (especially) Rebirth are not possible on the original Switch. Making them cloud titles would be the only possible option. Switch 2 is obviously another story.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think people vastly overestimate the amount of money SE got out of these deals.
There are people who actually believe that Sony paid for the developpement of Rebirth in exchange of a mere 3 months of exclusivity.
We're talking about a +100 million dollars title.
Considering how careful they can be with 1st party titles money and budget, they didn't pay that much money for a temporary exclusivity deal.

Especially not for 3 months. I would be very surprised if the amount was higher then 10 million.
Capcom got $5m from Sony for VR and demo timed exclusivity for RE8. I'd guess in the $30m+ range probably (including marketing spend).

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
is switch 2 really that powerful? doesn't really follow switch 2 rumour
It's more powerful than base PS4 at least, so anything last gen is a given. Rebirth didn't exactly light the world on fire in the graphics department so I don't think it's off the table either. The game size is a bigger problem than performance at this point.

They're SD as in smart devices, not standard definition. I was puzzled by the term until I saw it stating that it's referring to Smart Devices/PC Browser.
I see SE maintain their reputation in creating confusing terms. Next you gonna tell me HD stands for "hard drive" as that's where those games are installed.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
The problem is really beyond the exclusivity deals, and more of the fact that their tech and dev pipeline is not built at all to handle multiplatform development. If it were, PC ports of FF would be ready the moment those deals ended, yet there's no FF16 yet and FF7 Rebirth is probably a year away, despite only having a 3 month window.

This is something their competitors in Japan have all figured out across Bandai Namco, Capcom, Sega, so Square is the last holdout.

Yep. Gonna be really hard to balance game content and polish with day one multiplatform on multiple platforms, but it's the most sound way forward.

Good luck to them.

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
Then Rebirth with how open the zones are with the geometry level and basically no loading, I don't even think any ps4 game can do that. Plus, with the 3rd game coming out essentially being even bigger. I guess we'll see but I feel you'd have to do a lot more than just lower the resolution and add DLSS. Then again, the switch 2 isn't out yet so we'll see.
There was a recent leak that seemed to indicate it'll use UFS 3.1 storage, which is essentially diet NVMe (like 10-30% slower, but much much faster than a PS4 hard drive or a SATA SSD). I think it'll manage.

bitcloudrzr

Banned
May 31, 2018
- Will they drop their stupid pricing ? (80€ for a game in the standard edition is insane).
jFO3XhP.mp4

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
People were upset about the KH series being on cloud because they could run on Switch natively. There were already 30fps HD remasters on PS3.

Remake and (especially) Rebirth are not possible on the original Switch. Making them cloud titles would be the only possible option. Switch 2 is obviously another story.

If that's the case, then making Remake and Rebirth on cloud on switch 2 would be the most asinine decision they could make.

I might consider double dipping if they do put it on the switch 2, but if it's on cloud? Zero chance.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
is switch 2 really that powerful? doesn't really follow switch 2 rumour

Based on the chip I've heard speculation in the ballpark of base PS4 in handheld and PS4 Pro or slightly better while docked. With more and faster RAM (12GB), and around standard SSD performance.

It can certainly run Remake, while Rebirth can probably run with big cutbacks.

Jul 24, 2018
Nintendo's hardware is always several steps behind how's that gonna work. I imagine multiplatform development is gonna take more work, I remember back in the day when Wii releases of HD games resulted in completely different games from the Xbox and PlayStation counterpart.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Based on the chip I've heard speculation in the ballpark of base PS4 in handheld and PS4 Pro or slightly better while docked. With more and faster RAM (12GB), and around standard SSD performance.

It can certainly run Remake, while Rebirth can probably run with big cutbacks.

Maybe every texture will look like the worst rock textures when running undocked.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing graphics won't be as ambitious going forward. All good, they tried for a while now and we have quite a few games that will look good on future consoles (not just PS5 Pro) through BC.

I don't think you have anything to worry about here. The talk is that Switch 2 is at about PS4 Pro level so if games continue to look at around FF7 Remake level on Switch 2 (which looked fucking fantastic on PS4 Pro) and scale up to Integrade level on PC and PS5 (which looked fucking fantastic on PS5) then we're all sweet.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
SE finally opening their baby eyes. I hope they are smart about this and go step by step and not rush into this. Put time and effort into each title's quality instead of throwing them to the market like their AA efforts that failed in the past.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If Final Fantasy VII Remake isn't a Switch 2 launch title, they've already fucked up. Pull out all the stops to get it there immediately.

That would sell well imo at say $40 USD.

Then release Rebirth later in the year.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Man, gotta respect this Kiryu dude and his team, they definitely feel like they have a vision, let's hope they succeed.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe it's taken them this long that even Atlus went on the multi-platform train before them.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you have anything to worry about here. The talk is that Switch 2 is at about PS4 Pro level so if games continue to look at around FF7 Remake level on Switch 2 (which looked fucking fantastic on PS4 Pro) and scale up to Integrade level on PC and PS5 (which looked fucking fantastic on PS5) then we're all sweet.

I would consider this an absolute win. SE has some amazing artists so pushing for cohesive design that runs well on modern hardware without breaking the bank is the way forward for their AAA games imo.

I am perfectly happy playing games that look like Intergrade for another 8+ years if it keeps costs down and lets them focus on creating content rich games like Rebirth.

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
Can they start with a XIII trilogy port please, I need to complete my FF infinity stone collection on my PS5

Zoator

Oct 27, 2017
This is great to hear. PlayStation and PC should be the absolute minimum for their AAA releases moving forward. Switch 2 is probably necessary to really improve sales in the Japanese market (assuming current trends extend into the Switch 2's lifespan), although obviously those ports will be compromised due to hardware limitations. Xbox would be nice, although I'm honestly not sure what they can expect from sales there at this point.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
About damn time really, and they have way too many titles to go around too. Now how about that Harvestella PS5 port so I can earn trophies for it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I would consider this an absolute win. SE has some amazing artists so pushing for cohesive design that runs well on modern hardware without breaking the bank is the way forward for their AAA games imo.

I am perfectly happy playing games that look like Intergrade for another 8+ years if it keeps costs down and lets them focus on creating content rich games like Rebirth.

Big time.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
"the Group will strive to maximize the acquisition of new users when launching a title"

Good, seems like they are gonna focus they marketing efforts more, this should work well together with their shift to less but better games (which will now be marketed to a broader audience).

They mention catalogue titles, so I wouldn't be surprised if, for example, Switch 2 gets XIII trilogy and XV on top XVI and VIIR. Hell, maybe even XIV.

Rooting for you SE!

Genuinely think if they could get the online infrastructure working well in Switch 2, XIV could be a pretty big deal. That's a huge potential for them to get subscribers with younger audiences and in Japan. If I were Square and that looks at all technically feasible, I would probably prioritize it over XVI/7R for Switch 2.

Am I dreaming, are we back to acting as if Nintendo doesn't have 3rd Party support?

what-year-is-it-robin-williams.jpg

Switch has third party, but Switch 2 genuinely seems poised to lock in something like perma-cross gen, with most games being made with Switch 2 in mind and PS5/Xbox just getting higher res/framerate versions with maybe a few effects like ray-tracing added. That said, for porting games that were made as PS5 exclusives, I'll believe it when I see it. XVI could already fall to pretty low internal resolutions on PS5, that resolution is going to get loooow on a Switch 2. We'll have to see if they can keep it high enough for DLSS to make up the difference.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I am very excited for "Fun"
literally had this typed and thought "i'll check the thread in case someone already did it"

But seriously I love how games as a function of play are so fundamentally at odds with corporate speak that there is no reasonable way to talk about Fun as a selling point due to how nebulous it can be.

beebop

May 30, 2023
I wonder if this is part of the reason MS lost interest in having their own Japan-based dev.