May 22, 2023
Florida
Finally

Edit: Hope they are hard at work for XVI and Remake/Rebirth ports already.
Will it then be ok to admit that XVI is a good game?
All of this makes sense in a business sense, unless of course Sony co develops or puts money in or something. On the other hand I would have to think that if Sony believes that Microsoft will be kind of taking less of a hardware focused road now then it makes no real sense for them to put too much money into locking multiple titles down.
That being said I am pretty sure Square has said this before too.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
It's been ages… i'm afraid they're not going to get short term results… not even mid term…

Yeah this is a fear I kind of have. Will they be smart enough to realize they need to build momentum and a fan base on other platforms?

Most of their fanbase is on Playstation in the West. They will need to actually commit to other platforms to get people invested into their brands again.

squall12

Sep 11, 2018
se need to know for xbox games need to be on gamepass if not wont get much sales hopefully microsoft would give them good cash for it.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
There's always a "but" isn't there? I think that having a very tightly connected series of 3 games across 7 (?) years may have doomed them from the start with the broader casual market.

There's not always a "but".
You don't fix a mess at the last moment by saying "Hey ! Remember these 2 games we didn't bother releasing/marketing to you and just dumped ? Here's the 3rd game. buy pls !"
You have to build a userbase, which doesn't happen overnight. You have to build trust, with quality releases, so that people are more eager to follow. Had these steps been done with Remake, Rebirth might have been the breakthrough title and Part 3 too.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
If Final Fantasy VII Remake isn't a Switch 2 launch title, they've already fucked up. Pull out all the stops to get it there immediately.

That would sell well imo at say $40 USD.

Then release Rebirth later in the year.

When the Switch 2 rumors started there were also rumors that Remake would be a launch title. Not sure how credible those rumors are though.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I'll believe it when I'll see FF7: Remake & Rebirth on Xbox + the third installment being full multiplatform on D1.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Switch 2 and PC day one is absolutely mandatory.

Xbox is whatever, even though I would be buying their games there as a primarily Xbox player.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is a fear I kind of have. Will they be smart enough to realize they need to build momentum and a fan base on other platforms?

Most of their fanbase is on Playstation in the West. They will need to actually commit to other platforms to get people invested into their brands again.

They already have a fanbase on both PlayStation and Nintendo. PC is their biggest hurdle and where they really need to focus most of their efforts

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
se need to know for xbox games need to be on gamepass if not wont get much sales hopefully microsoft would give them good cash for it.

I could see them going the Yakuza route and putting Remake and then later Rebirth on Game Pass. Basically their only hope of getting any sales for part 3 on Xbox if that's a possibility.

They already have a fanbase on both PlayStation and Nintendo. PC is their biggest hurdle and where they really need to focus most of their efforts

Yeah I'm not worried about them finding a market on Nintendo. DQXII on Nintendo Switch 2 day 1 will do gangbusters.

Agreed their biggest growth potential and uphill climb is on PC. Releasing their AAA games there day 1 with half decent ports would also probably help drive interest in their back catalog too.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
User warned: Inappropriate joke
Welcome to modern times

Vanillaware is the last one

Kamitani on the prospect of porting to PC

1RUd.gif

idiotmode

Jul 30, 2022
Yeah idk why people think multiplatform approach would be with an hidden asterisk for one platform. There's no secret beef between SE and Microsoft, if you watched that NA Fanfest clip you'd cringe enough to know that much is obvious.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Good question. Adding to that, should we expect previously exclusive titles, namely FF7R 1/2, to be available on Switch/Xbox as well?
They could renegotiate (or make new versions again) if they want to.
Would be kinda wild if they really signed contracts that forbids them to ever release them on other console platforms. Doubt it honestly.

Nixius

Feb 20, 2024
Does this mean their big AAA titles will be developed with the next Switch in mind or this is only for smaller stuff?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom also got like 6-7 million for MH Rise timed exclusivity.
That was more likely in the ~15m range I think? Capcom gave a bunch of options to Nintendo at different figures and they ended up picking to delay the announcement of a PC version 6 months after the Switch one plus the release 9 months after going off the timing. I gave up on figuring out the actual amount ages ago as I couldn't see the docs firsthand (and it's also likely they inked that deal before MHW blew up imo).

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I could see them going the Yakuza route and putting Remake and then later Rebirth on Game Pass. Basically their only hope of getting any sales for part 3 on Xbox if that's a possibility.

Yeah I'm not worried about them finding a market on Nintendo. DQXII on Nintendo Switch 2 day 1 will do gangbusters.

Agreed their biggest growth potential and uphill climb is on PC. Releasing their AAA games there day 1 with half decent ports would also probably help drive interest in their back catalog too.

Yeah they've always been one of the biggest 3rd party support for Nintendo systems so I'm def not worried there. PC..hoo boy lol At this point Day 1 is a dream, they need to sort out their ports. I think XVI will be a good test. They need to nail it

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this was painfully obvious that they should have been doing this already. Glad they are finally going to do it. When you have Sega, Capcom, and others growing their games because of day 1 PC releases, why not do it as well?

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Does this mean their big AAA titles will be developed with the next Switch in mind or this is only for smaller stuff?
I personally think It won't in the sense of releasing on it day 1 because realistically that would just take way more development time for Nintendo specific hardware but down the line sure. Porting the Major titles to PC/XBOX would probably just be much quicker right out the gate.

Last edited:

Sambo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
With the Switch 2 being more powerful than a PS4, I can see them going all in on porting everything over to it.

Re-Tails

Aug 16, 2020
Would be kinda wild if they really signed contracts that forbids them to ever release them on other console platforms. Doubt it honestly.
Same! But... this is Square Enix we're talking about. It's probably not forever, but likely 10-20 years if we're thinking back to the leaks and reports from the MS/Acti acquisition.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Looking forward to earlier PC ports. I ultimately slept on FFXVI and Rebirth due to no PC versions.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Well that's a good plan. But Square, especially recently, has a gigantic inconsistency problem when it comes to platforms. I'll quote my post from another thread below, as a refresher. (It's over a year old but still mostly holds up. Octopath II is at least finally getting an Xbox port, even if the release date is just a nebulous "sometime this year maybe, we dunno lol")

• The Pixel remasters of FF I-VI only being on mobile and Steam
    • Bonus points for console versions finally popping up a year+ later, but without Xbox (even though the games were done in Unity and could be ported with minimal hassle/cost)
  • FFVII Remake ending its exclusivity on PS4 by releasing on PC...except only on Epic for a year
  • Chrono Trigger port releasing on mobile/PC only. Receives several unexpected QoL updates over the years (21:9 mode! Tons of save slots!) but still adamantly refuses to go to other platforms
  • Dragon Quest I-III releasing on mobile and Switch only
  • Octopath Traveler releasing on one new platform each year (Switch in 2018, PC in 2019, Stadia[?!?] in 2020, XB1 in 2021), and inexplicably never on PS4
    • Meanwhile, Octopath Traveler II releases simultaneously on all platforms except Xbox in Feb 2023. So much for the people who played the original on XB, I guess?
  • Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon remaster exclusive to PS4 and Switch
  • Secret of Mana 3D remake releasing on PS4 and Steam but NOT Switch
  • FF Crystal Chronicles remaster going to PS4, Switch, and even mobile, but skipping both PC and XB
  • Chocobo GP exclusive to Switch (and with a weird mobile-esque monetization scheme...but, nope, not on mobile)
  • The mainline Kingdom Hearts finally releasing on Switch...except they're infamously cloud-only, even 1.5+2.5
    • Also the series finally comes to PC, but it remains an Epic exclusive even after over a year
      • Don't get me started on the pricing, either
  • Dragon Quest Builders gets released on PS4, then on Switch two years later; no versions for XB or PC. Builders 2, meanwhile, is released on all platforms
  • The Last Remnant gets pulled from Steam four years ago, in preparation for the announcement of the remastered version which will undoubtedly replace it. The remaster is then announced...for PS4. Then it comes to Switch half a year later...and then mobile half a year after that. It's been 5 years, 8 months, and the remaster has still yet to make its way to PC
And yeah, I know, video games are a business, etc. etc., but it's still really bad how inconsistent Square is with platform releases even within the same IP. If you play on one platform only (or even primarily), it must be an enormous pain to be a fan of virtually any Square series, because who knows whether the next game will be out on your platform of choice?

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
Because perhaps the point of the question was missed, allow me to clarify.
Would it be worth the cost of porting IF the title would be on Gamepass day one.
That entirely depends on how much MS pay for the GP release. And since this is paid upfront instead of sales where SE need to make estimation, I believe SE will make a deal that is worth the cost.

Vargas

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they go all out and there are no exclusives deal made for anyone. If the system can run it well then the game should be ported should be their mindset.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
I guess Sony is losing interest of acquiring or paying boatloads of money for timed exclusives.
I think this has more to do with the sales of FF16 and especially FF7Rebirth, rather than Sony's willingness to buy timed exclusivity. They will still pursue such deals, especially if the Switch 2 turns out to be a third-party powerhouse.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Curious to know what this will do for development time. Rebirth being 4 years was obviously the exception and not the rule with a few important factors being for one platform and keeping 70% of the team on board. With 3 coming we know their aiming for the same development time which I'm sure they'll hit assuming they aren't going to try and do any porting for a day and date release (which they might). I wonder how this affects other unreleased titles.

What are the chances of day 1 gamepass deals for SE AAAs? 🤔
Hard to know in recent news but they aren't abandoning game pass so if they pay square enough, I don't see why not. Although I don't know if Microsoft would benefit much from that as its challenging for Square to even sell on their home platform. At least not right away, the brand needs more time with the platform to really know.

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Curious to know what this will do for development time. Rebirth being 4 years was obviously the exception and not the rule with a few important factors being for one platform and keeping 70% of the team on board. With 3 coming we know their aiming for the same development time which I'm sure they'll hit assuming they aren't going to try and do any porting for a day and date release (which they might). I wonder how this affects other unreleased titles.

Hard to know in recent news but they aren't abandoning game pass so if they pay square enough, I don't see why not. Although I don't know if they would benefit much from that. At least not right away.

I feel like people are overestimating the task to port a game or to work on multiple platform.
You don't redevelop the game each time for each version and if anything, you can have another team do it, letting the main team effectively working on one platform.

St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
Oh wow this is huge, glad I've waited, SE AAA on switch 2 will be huge:).
Switch 2 library will be on a completely new level wow
FF back to Nintendo is nice to see:)

Zep

Jul 12, 2021
If SE is following the "multiplat" strategy of Sega, etc., then they wouldn't give away their biggest AAA titles to Gamepass day one.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like PS+ and GP will fall under their back catalogue expansions I think. No way they do day 1 AAA stuff, they are actually trying to make profit.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
If SE is following the "multiplat" strategy of Sega, etc., then they wouldn't give away their biggest AAA titles to Gamepass day one.
Sega did though? FF7 (for example) would be a late port to Xbox which is exactly what Sega used Game Pass for, and they also just launched Persona 3 Reload on Game Pass (which might as well be a new mainline entry).

Zep

Jul 12, 2021
Sega did though? FF7 (for example) would be a late port to Xbox which is exactly what Sega used Game Pass for, and they also just launched Persona 3 Reload on Game Pass (which might as well be a new mainline entry).
Not any of their mainline releases. You didn't see Infinite wealth, you won't see Persona 6 or a mainline monster hunter. But sure, I don't see why Remake or Rebirth wouldn't be in GP day one, as they will be much older titles by the time they hit Xbox.