Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Apparently the "Neo Switch" is in the same ballpark as an RTX 2050 (not a typo, it's a laptop only GPU.) That's not super promising, but in the end we should have the answer from other publishers before Square, like Capcom or Activision (thinking about Monster Hunter Wilds and CoD.) We'll see about compromises or if titles will be scaled down in the future because of (thanks to?) the new Switch.

If big publishers put their biggest, most demanding, games day one on the new Switch, PlayStation is deader than dead in Japan.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much you know about multi-platform game development…..

We've arrived back at FF13 on 360 😂

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
I remember pointing out that it was clear square was pivoting to a multiplatform strategy with their recent moves and getting a lot of cheeky answers. Great news, though.

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
I guess I'm just looking at it from a more skeptical standpoint because you rarely get AAA multiplatform games day and date with a 1:1 performance profiles. I'm sure they'll figure out a system on how to do it, but I don't expect it to be smooth right out the gate. Then of course we don't even know what they really plan to do with each franchise yet or where it's being ported to.
That's a weird strawman. Nobody expect multiplatform games to run the same on each platform. You always get higher framerate on this platform or cleaner image on that one. The vast majority of people would take a mediocre port on their preferred platform over not getting the game at all.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
That's a weird strawman. Nobody expect multiplatform games to run the same on each platform. You always get higher framerate on this platform or cleaner image on that one. The vast majority of people would take a mediocre port on their preferred platform over not getting the game at all.
Let me rephrase. Not the same performance profiles but I mean performance in general. You may get a decent port on a PS5 but it's terrible on PC or maybe it's the other way around. There's plenty of examples of this and these are ports that come out later. Day and date with multiple platforms CAN work but recently ports don't always get the love they need.

I don't think it's rocket science or anything but clearly developers need to take their time when porting to multiple platforms in general, needless to say that goes double for day and date titles.

I just think square in particular will have to go throw growing pains before they get it down as it's just way more to take on. Necessary in these circumstances of course and if the ports are good then it's a win win for everyone.

Last edited:

Megustaelmate

Sep 4, 2022
Ok, ill believe it when i see it. Pc ports need to come day and date for them to be successful and on steam.

We need ff16, rebirth and for kingdom hearts collection to come to steam

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
Let me rephrase. Not the same performance profiles but I mean performance in general. You may get a decent port on a PS5 but it's terrible on PC or maybe it's the other way around. There's plenty of examples of this and these are ports that come out later. Day and date with multiple platforms CAN work but time recently has shown other wise.
Jedi Survivor ran like shit on PC, still does, and it sold a ton. Elden Ring still has stutter. People complain about bad ports, but most of them will buy them anyway. Ask anyone if they want a bad port, or a potentially good port one year later, or even no port at all, they'd take the bad port without hesitation. And let's not pretend SE can make good port with more time in the oven. PC players had to wait a year for FF7 Remake, and it was still a bad port. They might as well release that shit day and date so that mod creators can work something out early.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Jedi Survivor ran like shit on PC, still does, and it sold a ton. Elden Ring still has stutter. People complain about bad ports, but most of them will buy them anyway. Ask anyone if they want a bad port, or a potentially good port one year later, or even no port at all, they'd take the bad port without hesitation. And let's not pretend SE can make good port with more time in the oven. PC players had to wait a year for FF7 Remake, and it was still a bad port. They might as well release that shit day and date so that mod creators can work something out early.
Ahahah I mean hey I agree with everything you said to keep it real but it's still a problem that I personally wouldn't want to deal with and we as consumers shouldn't since we're paying. Square definitely can't pull a Jedi Survivor or Cyberpunk though and get away with it, atleast not with the franchises they have currently.

Renmazuo

Dec 26, 2019
For HD titles, the Group will aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy that includes Nintendo platforms, PlayStation, Xbox, and PCs.
Don't see how you read this and think Nintendo is going to be relegated to "lesser" B tier games, which wouldn't be any different at all from what they were doing before. It's very obvious what they mean.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
interesting that they didn't talk about blockchain/nft/web3 etc anymore, made me suspicious most of their "content abandonment losses" was related to that project

It just was buzzwords thrown around to appease investors. Nothing rly indicated SE invested a heavy amount into it. Now they will probably shift that language to AI if they mention it.

Most of the losses are cancelled projects (as in games) from what we know.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I think the biggest hurdle for SQEX in bringing Final Fantasy games to PC, Xbox and Nintendo platforms is that there are too many that have missed the platforms and so a lot of work to build/rebuild the fanbase.

Best to use the Yakuza / Persona approach to PC and Xbox as a case study of what worked. Overall still a tough battle where the first port or two won't perform strongly given that they are late, will be full-priced(?) and out of the general consumer mindshare.
The only mainline FF's missing on Switch are 11, 13-16, and the 7 remakes (not counting 15 pocket). It really isn't as bad as you're making it out. Falcom's extremely niche franchises Trails (where all the games connect narratively fyi) and Ys both started with their 8th games on Switch being done by other studios, and they've done so well on Switch that Falcom's now doing multiplatform Switch in house for day 1 releases. If it can work for Falcom who put no effort into getting the backlogs on Switch, it'll work for SE who already has most of the backlog ported.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
Yeah, I think people see late port not doing as well on other platforms as a sign of a lack of interest, but I think it's actually because late ports sell less than day one (less marketing, hype died down etc).

Most if not all the big moment games where everyone is talking about it they're always launching in more than 1 platform at launch and it always includes at least a console + PC but if they're doing all that work might as well just go everywhere. This exclusive, not exclusive cycle is just killing the games for them imo and I don't see many 3rd party publisher exclusives going forward.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Till to some years ago the cost of converting a game to a different platform could have amounted to a good percentage of the development budget itself.

Today the cost of developing the game is so much higher that converting it to a different platform affects so much less the overall budget that even small indie teams easily manage multi-platform releases with ease.

This to say that it makes NO SENSE to not go full-multiplatform in 2024 if target platforms have even a slighly relevant user base.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
SE makes multiple big ass RPGs unlike Capcom, will be interesting to see how it'll work out for them after Kitase made this comment.

"This would not have been possible if "Rebirth" was planned as a multiplatform project, said Final Fantasy franchise producer Yoshinori Kitase. Its development exclusively for the PlayStation 5 made it easier for the team to focus on building a world with diverse geography, indoor and outdoor areas populated with activities, characters friendly and hostile, all seamlessly represented with no "loading screen" interruptions. Developing games for multiple platforms, by contrast, usually creates more work that focuses on porting rather than iterating on a game's design."​
"Had it not been on a single platform, the world map would not be seamless, and game design may have had to regress significantly," Kitase told The Washington Post in an interview​

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
Good. Very late but at least they seem to be willing to shift now. I don't know if 3 years will be enough though. They missed the multi platform gravy train massively and are now only seeing the dust on the heels of Capcom and the likes. It's still baffling to me how bad they missed the mark (not in terms of game quality but with their business decisions).

Dragon Quest, their strongest Japanese franchise still hasn't managed to put out a new mainline game on the biggest platform Japan has ever seen and now it's almost too late. How does this even happen.

They released 2 new entries in their most valuable franchise in one year and it didn't help their financials at all. Imagine any other company doing that.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
SE makes multiple big ass RPGs unlike Capcom, will be interesting to see how it'll work out for them after Kitase made this comment.

"This would not have been possible if "Rebirth" was planned as a multiplatform project, said Final Fantasy franchise producer Yoshinori Kitase. Its development exclusively for the PlayStation 5 made it easier for the team to focus on building a world with diverse geography, indoor and outdoor areas populated with activities, characters friendly and hostile, all seamlessly represented with no "loading screen" interruptions. Developing games for multiple platforms, by contrast, usually creates more work that focuses on porting rather than iterating on a game's design."​

That's called marketing.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
If Final Fantasy VII Remake isn't a Switch 2 launch title, they've already fucked up. Pull out all the stops to get it there immediately.

That would sell well imo at say $40 USD.

Then release Rebirth later in the year.

There's a good chance Sony has console exclusivity locked down for the whole trilogy based on the fact that Remake still isn't on Xbox. Obviously no one knows for sure, but they were probably sold as a package deal. I doubt we'll see the Remake trilogy on any MS or Nintendo console until the third game is out

JhOnNY_HD

Dec 13, 2020
This conversation is stupid.

SE is only ignoring xbox and timed PC every SE game capable of running on switch is there.

If switch 2 can run remake will have a port.

beebop

May 30, 2023

"This would not have been possible if "Rebirth" was planned as a multiplatform project, said Final Fantasy franchise producer Yoshinori Kitase. Its development exclusively for the PlayStation 5 made it easier for the team to focus on building a world with diverse geography, indoor and outdoor areas populated with activities, characters friendly and hostile, all seamlessly represented with no "loading screen" interruptions. Developing games for multiple platforms, by contrast, usually creates more work that focuses on porting rather than iterating on a game's design."
"Had it not been on a single platform, the world map would not be seamless, and game design may have had to regress significantly," Kitase told The Washington Post in an interview​
I'd take such comments with a grain of salt. That "it's easier to focus" is a positive spin on moneyhatting as old as time.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Took them a long while indeed, looking at their results their profit (edit : not even profit but revenue which paint a bleaker picture) barely increased from previous year, while their operating losses doubled, in a year where they release 2 big Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

"This would not have been possible if "Rebirth" was planned as a multiplatform project, said Final Fantasy franchise producer Yoshinori Kitase. Its development exclusively for the PlayStation 5 made it easier for the team to focus on building a world with diverse geography, indoor and outdoor areas populated with activities, characters friendly and hostile, all seamlessly represented with no "loading screen" interruptions. Developing games for multiple platforms, by contrast, usually creates more work that focuses on porting rather than iterating on a game's design."
What makes it even harder to make games is if the publisher won't green light them if they don't have a multiplatform strategy in mind to ensure they meet sales expectations. 16 and 7 rebirth both must have under performed enough for SE to be making this multiplatform shift a big focus.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
It's not happening, but if they could release Rebirth as soon as possible on PC (meanin, I dunno, announced and shadowdropped at SGF or something like that) that would make that very short three months window worthwhile. Right now you're just giving Sony free windows of exclusivity.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I still don't see how they will make the math work out for FFVII-3 tbh, given how poorly Rebirth did. They're going to have to be really aggressive with it, day 1 on many systems.

But it seems impossible to me, I don't know. Rebirth is great but it sucks at onboarding a new player, unlike something like Mass Effect 2 did. You only make that problem harder next time

jungius

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Sep 5, 2021
I would be kinda sad if next mainline ff come to switch tbh, thats just mean they will sacrifice over the top graphical fidelity which is the signature of mainline ff series since the ps1 one

how about not taking sony deal but release it multiplat without switch like capcom did?

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
It's called PR talk yes.
The world being open has nothing to do with the game being exclusive or multiplatform, especially when main platforms are all very similar in term of capabilities.
Have you played the game? It's massive and it took 3 years to make. If it was multiplatform for it to be the same it would require more time and budget. I believe that quote based on what we got in such short time for AAA. Whether it makes financial sense is different.

Jan 11, 2018
Good.
Would be real nice if their Switch exclusives also went multiplatform.

Indeed. Especially considering Switch has enjoyed a significant amount of SE exclusives in the last decade, but everyone seems so caught up in talking about a handful of AAA titles. I sure hope this isn't a one way kind of thing. It absolutely should apply to all of their games.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Technically we don't know any platform at this point for Part 3.
Yeah we don't but since it's already been in development and they've already mentioned because of previous work on Rebirth the time needed for this one will realistically be 4 years like Rebirth it's probably 100% a PS5 UE4 title. I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the last titles though like Remake was before the new console.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Have you played the game? It's massive and it took 3 years to make. If it was multiplatform for it to be the same it would require more time and budget. I believe that quote based on what we got in such short tim for AAA. Whether it makes financial sense is different.

I didn't play the game. I know it is massive. There are a lot of massive games. It took 3 years to make also because it's built on a lot of things from Remake, which helped a lot. Does it mean adding more platforms wouldn't have meant more work. Of course not. Does it mean it wasn't doable ? Of course not.
Yes, it would've meant more budget to add platforms, but the ROI on ports vastly cover it. As for more time, it all comes down to how you organize your project: Is it done by another team ? Same team ? Then you hire people for these SKUs or you outsource it to a team with the knowledge for it.

idiotmode

Jul 30, 2022
I would be kinda sad if next mainline ff come to switch tbh, thats just mean they will sacrifice over the top graphical fidelity which is the signature of mainline ff series since the ps1 one

how about not taking sony deal but release it multiplat without switch like capcom did?
They could just downscale the port for Switch 2. If the leaks are true it won't be anywhere near as hard as making ports for the current Switch.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Part III will be hugely scaled down anyway. Budget is probably going to be much smaller than Rebirth's, and now you need to account for multiplatform and underpowered hardware.

Oh well.

idiotmode

Jul 30, 2022
I didn't play the game. I know it is massive. There are a lot of massive games. It took 3 years to make also because it's built on a lot of things from Remake, which helped a lot. Does it mean adding more platforms wouldn't have meant more work. Of course not. Does it mean it wasn't doable ? Of course not.
Yes, it would've meant more budget to add platforms, but the ROI on ports vastly cover it. As for more time, it all comes down to how you organize your project: Is it done by another team ? Same team ? Then you hire people for these SKUs or you outsource it to a team with the knowledge for it.
If Capcom who was smaller than SE when they did the overhaul of their company than SE is now. Day and date ports shouldn't be impossible I'm surprised people are pushing against it so hard.