Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know the switch 2 specs but if there was a problem in getting these games running on there I don't think it would relate too much for downscaling graphics. Any game that is targeting PC generally is made to be quite scalable usually.
The problem I would imagine would relate more to how the games handle loading and managing of data to achieve their seamless worlds.
As long as the switch 2 doesn't create some gigantic engineering bottleneck on that front yes I don't think companies would skip it outside of upholding old deals.

But if they do skip the it like how certain games already skip the switch right now you should assume it's cause of technical hurdles.
That said of course you could always sell it through that streaming thing that occasionally happens for some switch games. Although I feel like that hasn't been a very popular way to experience games on there.

I do find it strange that people just do assume things are gonna be on switch 2 and I gotta imagine some people just maybe know the technical details to make those statements? Otherwise I find it's kinda jumping way ahead to assume that.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
If Capcom who was smaller than SE when they did the overhaul of their company than SE is now. Day and date ports shouldn't be impossible I'm surprised people are pushing against it so hard.

Yes, but it didn't happen overnight. Capcom started with multiplatform strategies as early as PS360 era. It took another turn in the PS4/XBOne era when Steam became a more relevant platform and Capcom was set on making high quality titles.
If you are to look at the start of their efforts, that'd be with RE7 and RE Engine, back in 2017. And they've seen growth from a game to another.
They're just starting to see the benefits since 2-3 years ago.

As for people pushing against it, I think there's a part of platform warring. It is indeed curious to see people rather claiming their favorite franchise is dead or there's nothing they can do even before trying to actually releasing it everywhere.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Have you played the game? It's massive and it took 3 years to make. If it was multiplatform for it to be the same it would require more time and budget. I believe that quote based on what we got in such short time for AAA. Whether it makes financial sense is different.
But would that budget and time not be worth it? Rebirth doesnt seem to exactly be setting charts on fire, going by the murmerings of sales posts it sounds like a day 1 PC port could well have helped things out. Plus day 1 releases, good ports, and just supporting more platforms well can grow the series. Like Capcom and Sega are doing. Its in SE's best interests to do that, which is why day and date ports seem smarter than keeping things locked to just the one platform with a smaller reach.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XIV about to save Square Enix as always, haha. This past FY has been really bad for them.
I'm sure they can't wait to release Dawntrail.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
But would that budget and time not be worth it? Rebirth doesnt seem to exactly be setting charts on fire, going by the murmerings of sales posts it sounds like a day 1 PC port could well have helped things out. Plus day 1 releases, good ports, and just supporting more platforms well can grow the series. Like Capcom and Sega are doing. Its in SE's best interests to do that, which is why day and date ports seem smarter than keeping things locked to just the one platform with a smaller reach.
Sure I agree with that but if some believe this game would be the same and release at the same time on multiple platforms that's just not true.

I see a lot using Capcom as an example but then remember how MH World was handled?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It was just a deal. Deals expire. Give it just a little bit longer. But this strategic shift means they are less likely to sign deals like this in the future.

giphy.gif

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Indeed. Especially considering Switch has enjoyed a significant amount of SE exclusives in the last decade, but everyone seems so caught up in talking about a handful of AAA titles. I sure hope this isn't a one way kind of thing. It absolutely should apply to all of their games.
This has already shifted, SE only had one Switch exclusive this FY (DQM3) and that at least came to PC a few months later. Compare that to their 3 PS exclusives this FY (FFXVI, FF7 Rebirth, Foamstars) none of which are on PC yet.

People are focused on AAA PS exclusivity because that's the only exclusivity they've maintained for the entire year and looked to be going forward.

edit: DQM3 didn't come to PC yet, I mixed it up with the PC port of Treasures, sorry!

Last edited:

joyboy

Jan 1, 2023
Aggressive multiplatform strategy with HD games. I remember when I'm a hero too kept saying "expect more sony exclusives, they won't stop". I'm glad that cnoversation is done.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
I would be kinda sad if next mainline ff come to switch tbh, thats just mean they will sacrifice over the top graphical fidelity which is the signature of mainline ff series since the ps1 one

how about not taking sony deal but release it multiplat without switch like capcom did?
They want the games to sell more, Xbox won't really help.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Sure I agree with that but if some believe this game would be the same and release at the same time on multiple platforms that's just not true.

I see a lot using Capcom as an example but then remember how MH World was handled?

Way better actually.
They've been upfront that it was coming to PC, that it'll take longer because they want to do it in house and learn.
Was it perfect ? Far from it, considering the PC release happened later and wasn't synced when it comes to content. But they reduced the gap (MH World release 7 months later on PC, Iceborne did 4 months later).
And it seems like Wilds will be day and date.
They didn't hide it. They didn't dump it a random tuesday saying "hey, the game releases tomorrow".
They actually tried to make a competent PC version, with some issues, but with a lot of extra bells and good controls.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I didn't play the game. I know it is massive. There are a lot of massive games. It took 3 years to make also because it's built on a lot of things from Remake, which helped a lot
This game is probably one of the biggest games in the last decade from a content/design perspective. I always thought about it because Remake by comparison was like an alpha version compared to the full release (Rebirth). Obviously Remake helped fundamentally with ideas but even then that doesn't quite say it. I'd say Rebirth as a second game Is far more impressive in scope/systems changes/content than games like GoWR, SM2 or any second title in a series. I honestly don't understand how they did it even in 4 years but keeping 70% of your team plus developing for one console most have helped to some degree.

I just don't think we'll be getting games this ambitious in 4 years from them again assuming it's being released on multiple systems. Which I don't have an issue with because it deserves to be played by more people and if it helps their bottom dollar to make more I'm all for it.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Square hasn't put in the effort to even try and support Xbox correctly. They have to build trust with Xbox players again, it's going to take time.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Part III will be hugely scaled down anyway. Budget is probably going to be much smaller than Rebirth's, and now you need to account for multiplatform and underpowered hardware.

Oh well.

Hope not :(
Hoping the downgrade won't be too bad for Switch 2 with Remake/Rebirth/R3, at least I hope just decreasing the resolution (and maybe fps?) is most of what needs to be done. Guess it depends and hope R3 isn't dictated too much by Switch 2's specs, or they at least push each platform how it should be.

Jun 10, 2018
How is putting a game on more platforms not gonna help?
That's actually what Aleh is defending, considering they were responding to a user who stated they wanted the Switch's successor excluded from Square's multiplatform strategy.

Aleh is saying Square including Switch 2 is a ploy to get more software sales, more than what they would get from XBox in comparison.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
Good. Now maybe, just maybe, Square will develop on Nintendo hardware where it's not the "port down" version and it's developed solely on it, then "improved" on Xbox/Playstation.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
This new CEO is putting in work. Whether or not it pans out well, let's see.

Always happy when more gamers get to enjoy more games.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I do find it strange that people just do assume things are gonna be on switch 2 and I gotta imagine some people just maybe know the technical details to make those statements? Otherwise I find it's kinda jumping way ahead to assume that.

It's not that crazy of an assumption. Seems just as safe of an assumption as SE releasing things on Steam. If they are serious about multiplatform that's how they gotta show it. Those are the main two glaring platforms they have been neglecting this whole gen.

Ignoring the Switch sucessor when the Switch has done so well *and* has the lion's share of JP sales would make zero sense. If it's true that it has comparable power to a PS4/Pro (current fav rumors if you look at the usual suspect threads and sources) then that's more than enough to work with. Remake part 1 was on the PS4 after all.

They have a lot of ground to make up and I think they are finally willing to admit it, XIV revenue isn't going to save them forever and has been staring them in the face for a decade now on how multiplaform releases are a good thing.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Part III will be hugely scaled down anyway. Budget is probably going to be much smaller than Rebirth's, and now you need to account for multiplatform and underpowered hardware.

Oh well.
Unlikely. The game has been in development for a while and whatever money Sony was giving them they already got. I wouldn't expect a port of the 3rd until after it's already out. No way they got a deal with Sony for Remake and Rebirth but not 3.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah there was no real reason for them to continue their Sony deals when dev costs are so high.
The Sony moneyhatting wasn't worth it

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024

You guys are overreacting. The just said a few weeks ago that they want to focus on their core IPs. I doubt part 3 will be impacted much as they would shoot themselves in the foot and squander all the future sales potential the trilogy might have if they cheap out on the last part or cancel (lol) it. Part 3 is in full production at this point. Much of the world and systems are already established.

Of course I am not expert but if they want their games to sell better they need to broaded their audience (which they plan on doing) and not lessen the quality of their games. It has only been recent that SE is releasing awesome titles again, they just need to get to their target audience.

Hope I am not wrong here but we'll see.

Part 3 likely will still be a PS exclusive so they gotta try to get more people into Remake and Rebirth and come out with a P3 part as soon as the exclusivity window allows it.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Unlikely. The game has been in development for a while and whatever money Sony was giving them they already got. I wouldn't expect a port of the 3rd until after it's already out. No way they got a deal with Sony for Remake and Rebirth but not 3.
I don't think the deal is working out for both parties to be honest. Things can change.

By the way, considering Capcom is the model, then they literally need to scale down their games. No way in hell Capcom would release a game like Rebirth. Way too expensive. It's not a bad thing per se, Capcom games rely on great gameplay loops.

Last edited:

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I don't think the deal is working out for both parties to be honest. Things can change.
Even if Sony pulled out last minute which I don't know how since this game has been in development already for probably over a year, square isn't going to all of sudden just downgrade this title and somehow cut back. This project is all in or all out for them. Not to mention square isn't dead broke, if Sony somehow backed out they'd just have to fund whatever needs to be done. Again I doubt it's an issue.

Maybe, I don't know. They haven't put everything on Xbox obviously, it feels like they put some things out to test sales and then it became quiet again, which suggests to me what they released didn't sell well enough, so at this point, I just question if there's a big enough audience for these types of games on Xbox now.
I honestly don't think there is on Xbox exclusively, but the combined effort for PC/Xbox should net you a few million more. Unfortunately I've never seen a square title or FF for that matter release on Steam day and date so I have no idea what kind of revenue that even has.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Square hasn't put in the effort to even try and support Xbox correctly. They have to build trust with Xbox players again, it's going to take time.

Maybe, I don't know. They haven't put everything on Xbox obviously, it feels like they put some things out to test sales and then it became quiet again, which suggests to me what they released didn't sell well enough, so at this point, I just question if there's a big enough audience for these types of games on Xbox now.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
What a shocker given how Rebirth performed. PS can't carry you I this day and age.