Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
They've said that the 2D-HD games cost more than people think. And there are polygons in the games🤣

And Nintendo had timed exclusivity with many of them. So with S-E backing off said deals and also cutting back on number of projects, I wonder if 2D-HD is dead outside the occasional Asano game.

Oct 25, 2017
SEGA has timed-exclusive switch games. CAPCOM has MH Story and RISE. KOEITECMO has Rise of Ronin.
Sometimes I feel like y'all just be wanting to argue for the kicks lol u know what they mean.

Sega's biggest properties and AAA games are all on all platforms(sonic,persona,yakuza) than they obviously have their pc centric titles and smaller titles are disbursed

Capcom(resident evil, monster hunter has a switch version for the fanbase(which btw also came to everything eventually and than the higher fidelity one I guess u can call it), megaman, new ip's exoprimal and kunitsu all multi platform

Square is the only one making their biggest franchise exclusive it's so bad ppl think kh4 might be(after making the effort to port the entire franchise on Xbox(plz put it on steam) cuz they such a wildcard.

They not even consistent in their exclusive and ports. Putting the first game here leaving the sequel somewhere else etc. a mess of a third party pub

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022
Nice they will be more multi platform but reading this thread people think a mainline FF will launch on Switch 2….lol. It will probably be like Resident Evil where the titles are on all platforms that can support higher fidelity games.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Finally.

Now they need to have a more planned out schedule for their bigger franchises and stop trying to reinvent the wheel every time they make a new title in an established franchise.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
SE was quick to make and take deals from various platform holders for games aside from FF.

It's just telling that this strategy doesn't work when the fiscal year they released not one but two mainline Final Fantasy games and they're in the red for it.

Contrast this with Capcom's report and it's a stark difference. The market has changed and SE needs to follow suit

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
I always assumed Sony was giving them a big chunk of cash in order to keep getting exclusivity. I guess that finally became not enough.

Hopefully atlas is next

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Nice they will be more multi platform but reading this thread people think a mainline FF will launch on Switch 2….lol. It will probably be like Resident Evil where the titles are on all platforms that can support higher fidelity games.

There's no reason to laugh about it. Odds are quite high that it's happening. Their recent financials seem to indicate they expected more of their recent titles and Switch 2 is going to be right there, following up on the absolutely monstrous (and soon to be record brealing) Switch. They clearly want that money, which means they are gonna have to release their biggest titles there. Repeatedly. Not just spinoffs and late ports after the fact. Nintendo is very clearly labeled as a big part of their plans like every other platform.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
maybe start with putting KH on Steam FOR FUCKS SAKE
Need KH on Switch 2 and Steam proper before KH4. Still boggled my mind they didn't get the literal PS3 collection games on the Switch(cloud version lol)/Steam to begin with.
Do we know where the Switch 2 might stand with DLSS?
No, because DLSS performance can vary per game, but I'm sure it will help the console punch above its weight in certain instances.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this doesn't affect FFVIIR3.

I remember they said that by developing for one console was the reason the scope wasn't lowered.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Need KH on Switch 2 and Steam proper before KH4. Still boggled my mind they didn't get the literal PS3 collection games on the Switch(cloud version lol)/Steam to begin with.

No, because DLSS performance can vary per game, but I'm sure it will help the console punch above its weight in certain instances.

FSR is also platform agnostic so i could see a lot of 3rd parties going that route especially if they already got it working on PC, it all depends on how closely tied to the Switch SDK DLSS is ; it's possible it's baked into all games, in which case, it may well be widely used.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
FSR is also platform agnostic so i could see a lot of 3rd parties going that route especially if they already got it working on PC, it all depends on how closely tied to the Switch SDK DLSS is ; it's possible it's baked into all games, in which case, it may well be widely used.
DLSS is pretty far ahead of FSR in terms of outputting a better final image, so I'd imagine that most Switch 2 devs will use that.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
I am fully on board with SE new strategy if that means quality over quantity and secures the AAA flow of games.

However one thing is concerning me. How the hell are they going to include Switch in the equation? You cant do these latest AAA games on Switch. If that means that every game from now on needs to be running on a last gen hardware then that isnt very good news…

Hopefully by Switch they actually mean "Switch 2" in which case all is good.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. :)

Happy for people on Xbox and PC such as myself even though I own a PS5, just never play it much.

Almost 900 bucks wasted. Great job, Buckle.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
makes a lot of sense, while i have all consoles sometimes i get in a groove playing on only one system and NOT releasing on that specific system makes it just so easy to pass on buying a new game. I haven't bought a switch game in 15? months now because I haven't even turned on my switch in over a year. If a game doesn't release on PC I think about if it'll be way better to just wait for the PC version, and only on steam.

There are a lot of arbitrary reasons to NOT buy a game so the less reasons you give not to do it, seems better. I do honestly miss the days of platform exclusives, it was cool knowing you could ONLY play some games on one platform only (switch games are like that still) but end of the day I'd rather have every game released on every platform at release than weird staggered releases and stuff.

Some day I hope we achieve universal cross buy and save, where buying a license for a game, even at a higher price, grants you the game on all your platforms and also cloud saves so you can effortlessly move between them.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
This is mostly just reinforcing what I said. "You get more framerate for free but get the same visual results", yeah and the decision that that's not enough isn't made by the hardware.

They don't need to support non-RT pathways unless they want to spend the money to make something cross-gen...
RT does not run well enough to do anything other than offer minor enhancements to an existing lighting pipeline on any current console or any PC running much less than an RTX 4080-4090. Which of course requires development budget to add those codepaths, plus a lot of work on the art side to make sure the materials react well to it and it doesn't look like ass on some surfaces, etc

In general, your whole theory just seems to be that this hardware adds this stuff to games "for free" instead of requiring an enormous amount of expensive labor to utilize.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo (NSW 1/2) is the main player in Japan by a humongous gap and arguably has the largest JPRG market. Dragon Quest alone proves that Final Fantasy should be on every single platform moving forward.

But besides genre/userbase, you also cannot compare the two because Resident Evil has successfully shown growth catering to western audiences/higher fidelity when Final Fantasy has only gone backwards in sales with that focus.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot_2024-05-13-08-53-09-433_com.google.android.apps.docs-edit.jpg
lord please let Square bring their games to GOG.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Yes, lol. Why wouldn't it?

The current Playstation and Xbox are so damn similar that porting wont take THAT much work. If more niche franchises like Persona and Like a Dragon are worth porting surely Final Fantasy games are.

I mean, I'm not privy to why SE has done it this way for years, but I assume someone in there has run numbers and those numbers have been saying "not worth porting these to Xbox" given the exclusivity on Remake at least is definitely over and there's never been any sign of it happening on Xbox.

If I had to guess, the number of people who are interested in FF games (especially 7) and haven't bought into the last 2 generations of Sony consoles isn't all that large.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but given MS' recent troubles, I can also see SE worrying that the Xbox as a platform will be less and less relevant in the coming years.

Squall93

Oct 29, 2017
Paris
I love how everyone here is assuming that the Switch 2 is going to be a success. In reality we know nothing, we will perhaps wait to see how this machine behaves before establishing strategies

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I just hope the lesson they learned from Rebirth is "dang, we made a super awesome game but it really should have been on PC" and not... something else. It's the best game they've made in ages, easily.

They did promote Rebirth's Director, so at least that's a good sign.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Curious how much SE will pursue emulating Capcom's approach. Rather not see SE go down the rabbit hole of internal engine dev Hell. Also this flies under the radar but most of Capcom's big IPs went through a bit of a soft reboot since MH world. Makes sense that SE want FF to follow a similar path to Resident evil 2 pronged approach but I wonder if SE would have the guts to actually "reboot" FF. Perhaps at least drop the numbers or be cheeky and hide the numbering like RE has.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
What will happen with ffvii remake part 3?

Will that translate to a downgrade?

Maybe it's better to see SE navigate getting to more players for business health over pushing the envelope on graphics? The latter is clearly not translating to attracting more players how it used to.

It's wild to me that in a FY where two flagship games, FFXVI and Rebirth, launched that they had a bad year. When do you reprioritize for business health and longevity if not now?

Last edited:

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What will happen with ffvii remake part 3?

Will that translate to a downgrade?
I mean, maybe it needs it to a degree. They have a lot of assets pre-made now, and they should know how well they can refine the visuals

I know they talked about wanting to open P.3 into being vertical for flying and stuff, but...honestly do they NEED to? I think this is where they should just focus on refining what they already have and expand only where necessary, and that should really be in new areas and boss fights.

Of course this should not be a sacrifice on the story and content in the game. Maybe...keep mini games to being mainly optional? I don't need them worked into story progression.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
I mean, I'm not privy to why SE has done it this way for years, but I assume someone in there has run numbers and those numbers have been saying "not worth porting these to Xbox" given the exclusivity on Remake at least is definitely over and there's never been any sign of it happening on Xbox.

If I had to guess, the number of people who are interested in FF games (especially 7) and haven't bought into the last 2 generations of Sony consoles isn't all that large.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but given MS' recent troubles, I can also see SE worrying that the Xbox as a platform will be less and less relevant in the coming years.
I'm sure people SE have run numbers and tried a strategy, and the end result was them losing money so now they're trying something different. I assume losing money after releasing FFXVI and Rebirth in the same fiscal year, unrelated to abandonment losses, was not what they had in mind.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They probably did the math and figured out that they can't just let their IP wither for much longer

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, maybe it needs it to a degree. They have a lot of assets pre-made now, and they should know how well they can refine the visuals

I know they talked about wanting to open P.3 into being vertical for flying and stuff, but...honestly do they NEED to? I think this is where they should just focus on refining what they already have and expand only where necessary, and that should really be in new areas and boss fights.

Of course this should not be a sacrifice on the story and content in the game. Maybe...keep mini games to being mainly optional? I don't need them worked into story progression.
Yes, it is needed.

I don't want any impact on the quality of part 3. Keep it exclusive for a few months and then start porting.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I am fully on board with SE new strategy if that means quality over quantity and secures the AAA flow of games.

However one thing is concerning me. How the hell are they going to include Switch in the equation? You cant do these latest AAA games on Switch. If that means that every game from now on needs to be running on a last gen hardware then that isnt very good news…

Hopefully by Switch they actually mean "Switch 2" in which case all is good.
The thing that confuses me about how people talk about Switch and Square is that Square already puts tons of games on the switch. Even with exclusives Switch probably got more square games than PS5. We already had rumors that they had FF7 remake running on Switch 2. I wouldn't think it'd have too much trouble running Rebirth and the third game if it uses similar graphics.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
I think they're definitely going to want to put their AAA games on the Switch 2 somehow. Hopefully it's less strenuous to be ported to.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

Square assumed exclusivity was a good idea and they ran the numbers on that too.

Just because they run numbers doesn't mean the Interpretation is correct. Sales predictions aren't an exact science.

Even if Xbox and PC are only 15% of sales each that's a third more copies Sold. That easily covers any porting cost.

Laur

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, can't believe how long it took.
No doubt in the short term exclusivity deals make bank, but I imagine you lose out on actually growing your customer base.