St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
I had to read their statement again because after some comments here I wasn't so sure they explicitly mentioned Nintendo…
They did lol:)

I can't see any problem to free FF from PS exclusivity and have the series on switch 2 going forward, if they manage to make Remake an rebirth run on switch 2, their next game will not me "compromise"lolWhat's going on:)

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Some of it will linger, but I expect most of the downgrade talk to stop once SE puts our FF7R+Re out on all platforms including the Switch 2 and Series S.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Good.

Hope that also means that SE spends more than 5 minutes on their PC port and does more than just the bare minimum.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Big Square games coming back to Nintendo platforms? Yamauchi would be both happy and furious

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
Finally all of those Nintendo exclusive games from square enix are going multiplatform, since 2020 nintendo had 9 square enix exclusives, while playstation only had 6!!!!

ozumas

Born to be Wise and Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 15, 2020
I honestly thing this is the best decision they could possibly make. While I love my Final Fantasy games I can't understand how low they sell and how good games they are, I understand JRPG have a ceiling but FF7 Rebirth selling that low being a fucking great game is disheartening.

Now imagine FF7 part 3 being release worldwide in Switch 2, PS5, PC and Xbox series and Remake and Rebirth already ported to those platform, the final game could be solve...

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly thing this is the best decision they could possibly make. While I love my Final Fantasy games I can't understand how low they sell and how good games they are, I understand JRPG have a ceiling but FF7 Rebirth selling that low being a fucking great game is disheartening.

Now imagine FF7 part 3 being release worldwide in Switch 2, PS5, PC and Xbox series and Remake and Rebirth already ported to those platform, the final game could be solve...
No thanks.

Rebirth's own devs said the scope only managed to be that big because it was developed for one console.

Once it releases though? Port it over to everything that can run it.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

Nah

I am still certain part 3 gets at least 3 months playstation first, then pc and then the trilogy collection will be rolled to xbox a bit later than that.

SlyCoug88

Jan 10, 2018
As someone who doesn't buy every platform each generation, I'm all for more multiplatform titles from any publishers. Hopefully it can help companies to manage the budget issues that they are having with big games.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
No thanks.

Rebirth's own devs said the scope only managed to be that big because it was developed for one console.

Once it releases though? Port it over to everything that can run it.
They specifically talk about capturing users during launch period. They're not gonna base a whole release strategy and have to duplicate marketing resources around PS5 users buying into marketing fluff.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't count on this policy change to affect FF7 Part 3 and Kingdom Hearts 4 releasing exclusively on Playstation like FF16 and Rebirth did.

I absolutely think that the time for new exclusive AAA titles is over but some games will already be under contract by Sony or Nintendo. Sony won't make a exclusive agreement for each entry on its own. They surely bought the timed exclusivity for the whole trilogy. And Kingdom Hearts 4 will also be in development for at least 3-4 years. So the contract for getting it exclusive must've been inked years ago.

But i can totally see them prioritizing PC and Switch 2 Ports releasing asap in the future.

So FF7 PArt 3 could be Day 1 for PS5 and PC. One year later for Switch 2 and Xbox. Same with Kingdom Hearts 4.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I don't really see why there's an expectation that the last part is still going to be exclusive tbh. We have trilogies like Mass Effect where only one title is exclusive, maybe this specific deal is not as flexible as that but there doesn't seem a good reason that it could not be either.

In either case, the exclusivity stuff is not helping and they know that

edit not to mention, FFXIII started off PS exclusive and then they changed it

Ronin | Rin |

Jul 13, 2021
Does this mean Kingdom Hearts will finally be available on Steam?

Found the comment I was looking for because this is precisely what I would like to see. I will buy these games I own on consoles all over again on Steam, at full price. Hope it happens soon. Would also like some news on FF16 PC port.

Also, I hope SE issues some "good" sale prices for their older titles. I don't think I have ever seen FFVII Remake go below $30 USD.

I hope VANILLAWARE joins this strategy. Another company whose games I will joyfully buy all over again on Steam.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
They specifically talk about capturing users during launch period. They're not gonna base a whole release strategy and have to duplicate marketing resources around PS5 users buying into marketing fluff.
Then I'm really fucking worried about part 3.

Valet Jay

Mar 20, 2018
About time. Publishers have no clue at all who is going to lead the video game industry, like everyone else. So, it's just smart to try to make games of that size for every console, every store front imaginable. Epic, Luna, Apple, try to put it on everything and let the market decide where they want to buy your product.

gundalf

May 6, 2022
I think this is bad news for Sony since it shows the PS5 is not a viable option for exclusive third party AAA games anymore.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
As an observer, I'm very curious to see what this means for XVI and Remake/Rebirth regarding Xbox and Switch 2. I hope we get to learn what their plans are sooner than later.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Give me FFVIIR as a Switch 2 launch window game, FFXVI about a year later and DQ XII releasing simultaneously on Switch 2 and the other platforms.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
Give me FFVIIR as a Switch 2 launch window game, FFXVI about a year later and DQ XII releasing simultaneously on Switch 2 and the other platforms.
I can't see them not doing FFVIIR on Switch 2.

I just hope they work their magic and fit everything on the cart just like they did FFXII and Automata.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, maybe it needs it to a degree. They have a lot of assets pre-made now, and they should know how well they can refine the visuals

I know they talked about wanting to open P.3 into being vertical for flying and stuff, but...honestly do they NEED to? I think this is where they should just focus on refining what they already have and expand only where necessary, and that should really be in new areas and boss fights.

Of course this should not be a sacrifice on the story and content in the game. Maybe...keep mini games to being mainly optional? I don't need them worked into story progression.

I wont mind if they cut the minigames lol, i loathed the insane amounts of it in Rebirth as well as the endgame content with them.

I would mind it though if part 3 received such a downgrade where it would feel different than the rest of the games in the trilogy. I am not sure if I make sense but i want part 3 to be at least consistent in terms of visual style and art.

Hopefully Switch is out of the question for such projects and SE does their thing with Switch 2 in mind. If they do this, then I am fully on board with it and happy about it.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
My question is how much can you shrink these games down? Can you shrink a 150 GB game down to 30-50 GB to fit on a cartridge?

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Oh look they've abandoned the NFT games they sold all most of their largest IPs to fund.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this doesn't affect FFVIIR3.

I remember they said that by developing for one console was the reason the scope wasn't lowered.

Rebirth underperforming would way more likely affect Part 3 than adding one or more SKU.
Developping for multiple similar hardware has nothing to do with scope or game design. That's PR talk.
Ports are inexpensive.

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
There'll probably be debates about whether or not they can get the Remake trilogy on other consoles or not, until one or the other of those things happen:
-An announcement of a port of Remake/Rebirth coming to Xbox/Switch
-An announcement/hint of Part III coming to all platforms day one in its first teaser.

Somewhat, the former happening seems more likely to happen sooner.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024

View: https://x.com/eurogamerPT/status/1789996228450623646

titles-square.jpg

over the last years, square enix already have been multiplatform, out of 50 titles, almost 45 titles have been multiplatform, we have to remember, switch since 2020 have had 9 square enix exclusive games, and some are big ones, I think people is seeing this as NO, SQUARE ENIX WILL NOT HAVE ANY OTHER EXCLUSIVE ON SWITH OR PLAYSTATION, my opinion is that switch big exclusive games from square and playstation exclusive games from square are going to be MP (PC and Switch/PlayStation or as well xbox at the same time), but FF7 remake part 3 maybe will be PS5 exclusive, we dont know what the contract says, so we just cant speculate

Square have been for many years a very multiplatform company, I think people have had another perception of square

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
DQ already was multiplat with 11, it came out on PS4 and DS. Effectively different versions of the games but still released on both day 1. So all they need to do is throw in PC and there already there. Maybe Xbox if MS is willing to write a check
Multi means on all mayor platform on Day 1, not late ports and staggered releases which DQ had even with 11.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Multi means on all mayor platform on Day 1, not late ports and staggered releases which DQ had even with 11.

Multi means multiple platform, as in more than one. And DQ was Day 1 on PS4 and 3DS in Japan. So XII undoubtedly be Day 1 on PS5 and Switch 2 at the very least, maybe PC as well. Zero chance for Xbox

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

titles-square.jpg

over the last years, square enix already have been multiplatform, out of 50 titles, almost 45 titles have been multiplatform, we have to remember, switch since 2020 have had 9 square enix exclusive games, and some are big ones, I think people is seeing this as NO, SQUARE ENIX WILL NOT HAVE ANY OTHER EXCLUSIVE ON SWITH OR PLAYSTATION, my opinion is that switch big exclusive games from square and playstation exclusive games from square are going to be MP (PC and Switch/PlayStation or as well xbox at the same time), but FF7 remake part 3 maybe will be PS5 exclusive, we dont know what the contract says, so we just cant speculate

Square have been for many years a very multiplatform company, I think people have had another perception of square

If that was the case, they wouldn't outline that as a mid-term strategy.
It doesn't matter either that they released 90% of their games on multiple platforms if the budget of the 10% of exclusives is bigger than the 90% of these games.
That's why SE want and need to change their strategy. That's because these Sony exclusives are their biggest titles, those where they put most of their budget.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love how everyone here is assuming that the Switch 2 is going to be a success. In reality we know nothing, we will perhaps wait to see how this machine behaves before establishing strategies

Very few things in this industry are guaranteed successes but that's why companies generally make predictions based on past performances. Nintendo Switch is 140+ million LTD and you'd have to be a fool to ignore that like most third companies did based on the failure of the Wii U.

The most important titles are exclusives though.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Chasing high fidelity is how core gamers vote with their wallets and gaming has never been bigger, but the costs associated with that level of fidelity are ballooning larger than revenue can keep up. Part of this is exclusivity -- Square can't afford to only release their games on PlayStation consoles anymore, and they're going to need as many revenue streams as possible. The era of third party exclusivity deals is probably sunsetting outside of timed exclusives.

I love how everyone here is assuming that the Switch 2 is going to be a success. In reality we know nothing, we will perhaps wait to see how this machine behaves before establishing strategies

That would be the wrong decision!

ternarybanana

Apr 5, 2024
Multi means multiple platform, as in more than one. And DQ was Day 1 on PS4 and 3DS in Japan. So XII undoubtedly be Day 1 on PS5 and Switch 2 at the very least, maybe PC as well. Zero chance for Xbox
Isn't it Square themselves saying they're moving to a multiplatform strategy? Maybe their definition doesn't align with yours.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017

titles-square.jpg

My line of thinking as well; the only real change SE can do is make the mainline entries on all platforms; FF VII remake trilogy will probably be console exclusive to the PS5 until said trilogy is complete. I still think PS and Nintendo systems will still game a smaller scale exclusives every now and then and even a big exclusive if a company is willing to throw them big bucks.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The devs themselves said so.

Rebirth's quality was only possible thanks to developing for one sku.

Kitase said so. It's not crazy to think that he did so because of the deals in place.
Or someone would have to explain how a port (which often requires a small team of 10 to 30 people depending on the scale) would impact the scale of a game where over 3000 people are working on.