Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Better late than never but pretty bad timing with how Xbox has been performing lately. But if their next games can run on Switch 2 and is day one on PC they should be able to get more sales than remaining exclusive.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Well I don't think it will cover all of the costs but more so would give Sony the incentive, hopefully, to instead go back to having first party JPRGs cover their portfolio gap that they used FF for for the last few years.

In a marketing, symbolic, image sense.
Please justify why Sony would give a shit about a worthless genre like JRPGs in the larger scheme of things. They have more or less completely abandoned the Japanese market with their first party titles. Why would they go back?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's clear when they talk multiplatforn it is about their biggest games.

A lot of their smaller games are multiplat but thar also been part of a strategy from the previous CEO to ramp up more mid tier games. The new CEO is refocusing on AAA and those games which previously had been timed or defacto exclusives will now go multiplatform

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
Dear Square Enix,

Release Kingdom Hearts from Epic on PC and put it on Steam.

Congrats on your $100 million in sales, I would like a 5% advice fee.

Thanks!

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Please justify why Sony would give a shit about a worthless genre like JRPGs in the larger scheme of things. They have more or less completely abandoned the Japanese market with their first party titles. Why would they go back?
they're a platform holder so they tend to like having key things fill out their portfolio even if it doesn't set the world on fire

this is from last year in May during their business briefing:
cSiOF0B.png

Usually if they themselves don't make it they have some other third party replace it with a timed deal/exclusivity

here though it says "PS Studios" so these genres will cover the first party bracket

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Well I don't think it will cover all of the costs but more so would give Sony the incentive, hopefully, to instead go back to having first party JPRGs cover their portfolio gap that they used FF for for the last few years.

In a marketing, symbolic, image sense.
I don't know how pedantic people get about the JRPG definition if it's not specifically made in Japan, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the China hero projects turns out to be a JRPG.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about S.E.'s decision which is logical. I'm talking about Resetera users who are already convinced that the Switch 2 will be a cash machine. On this point we know nothing

Why is stating that Switch 2 will most likely be successful such a controversial statement to you?

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not talking about S.E.'s decision which is logical. I'm talking about Resetera users who are already convinced that the Switch 2 will be a cash machine. On this point we know nothing

I mean, it's not a 100% certainty but it's a pretty safe bet? This is one of those cases of Nintendo (presumably) making the right moves to continue their current momentum. There's nothing I can see at this time that suggests they are making any particularly poor business decisions. BC will be there, the price will probably be fine, there probably won't be any naming flops, they probably intend to make it readily available asap, ECT. The console is also going to have several sequels to dozens (!) of multi million selling games for both casual fans and longtime gamers, and many will only be there. No reason to bet against a machine that will be exclusively carrying the latest Mario Kart, Splatoon, Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing and so on.

Last edited:

St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
FF, Xenoblade and persona on a single platform its pretty nuts ngl
Switch 2 will be the definitive JRPG machine, pretty exiting:)
…But they'll have to add a day to the week to be able to play them lol, those games are too long lol

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Some discussions around this are very weird. Feels like lowkey console warrior bs.

This is only a positive thing why does this generate so many pages of back and forth lol

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
they're a platform holder so they tend to like having key things fill out their portfolio even if it doesn't set the world on fire

this is from last year in May during their business briefing:
cSiOF0B.png
Yes those are broad genres. Sony has plenty of RPGs to cover that ground. They just don't need to be FF-like JRPGs. Sony has moved away from Japanese platforms and Japanese actions games. They have abandoned all the quirky Japanese indie/digital games.

Diversity is subjective and Sony is clearly much more of an international/western facing first party now than ever before. Even something very Japanese like Death Stranding is a deal that uses technology from Guerilla Games.

Sony is hardly Japanese anymore and people need to wake up to that and stop pining over ages past.

Squall93

Oct 29, 2017
Paris
Why is stating that Switch 2 will most likely be successful such a controversial statement to you?
The Switch is already selling mainly for Nintendo games. Besides, the S.E. games released on Switch (outside DQ) are not big successes either and apart from Monster Hunter, Minecraft and a few f2p like Fornite what are the big third-party publisher successes on Switch? Look at the top 10 Japan, there are 90% Nintendo games in it

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Do people think it's more or less likely that the Sony contract has the FF7 games as console exclusives in perpetuity?

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
The Switch is already selling mainly for Nintendo games. Besides, the S.E. games released on Switch are not big successes either and apart from Monster Hunter, Minecraft and a few f2p like Fornite what are the big third-party publisher successes on Switch? Look at the top 10 Japan, there are 90% Nintendo games in it

Pretty sure a lot of the Switch games they released have been successful: the Dragon Quest games , Triangle Strategy, and the first Octopath all did well afaik

Do people think it's more or less likely that the Sony contract has the FF7 games as console exclusives in perpetuity?

You mean like forever? There's no chance of that lol

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch is already selling mainly for Nintendo games. Besides, the S.E. games released on Switch are not big successes either and apart from Monster Hunter, Minecraft and a few f2p like Fornite what are the big third-party publisher successes on Switch? Look at the top 10 Japan, there are 90% Nintendo games in it

Monster Hunter Rise is the only major third party title that released on the Nintendo Switch and that was massively successful. What major third party games do you think launched on Switch and failed? Even Falcom has pivoted to develop Switch ports of their games and you're insinuating Square Enix wouldn't find success there? Come on son.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how pedantic people get about the JRPG definition if it's not specifically made in Japan, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the China hero projects turns out to be a JRPG.
I am of the group that singles it as a JRPG due to the genre and how the game is rather then where it was made.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch is already selling mainly for Nintendo games. Besides, the S.E. games released on Switch (outside DQ) are not big successes either and apart from Monster Hunter, Minecraft and a few f2p like Fornite what are the big third-party publisher successes on Switch? Look at the top 10 Japan, there are 90% Nintendo games in it
Mate, half of all games sold on Switch (excluding digital only titles) are 3rd party.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
the thing with FF7R is that possibly the deal was inked during the PS4 gen and could possibly cover the entire costs and exclusivity for the trilogy and not just a single game

instead it is more easier to assume what these statements mean for future FFs or KHs, etc...

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017

The 2 most popular "JRPGs" not called pokemon right now are not final fantasy, persona, or dragon quest. Are Genshin Impact and Honkai Star Rail. Kudos to the japanese developer Hoyoverse for that achievement

/s

reksveks

May 17, 2022
Sony isn't paying them to not put FF16 or Remake/Rebirth on other consoles, are they? If so it's the first I've heard of it. Seemed like Square just said they are focusing on Sony systems for those. Remake was originally supposed to come to Xbox Series
They definitely paid them a certain amount to keep it exclusive for x period of time otherwise we wouldn't have 12month or 6month exclusivity period notes on the ads.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Finally. I want to play Part 3 on my pc at launch!

a change in strategy doesn't seem like a clear indication that existing contracts will be voided because of underperformance. You have to assume that Part 3 will also be exclusive to PS5 because Sony probably has dibs on the whole trilogy. I don't know how SE could overturn that unless they bought the contract out for a multiplatform release which sounds like something that never happens.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait im confused. Isn't practically all Square games Multi-Platform except the 2 most recent Final Fantasy games? They can't just be making this decision off of just those 2 games.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yes those are broad genres. Sony has plenty of RPGs to cover that ground. They just don't need to be FF-like JRPGs. Sony has moved away from Japanese platforms and Japanese actions games. They have abandoned all the quirky Japanese indie/digital games.

Diversity is subjective and Sony is clearly much more of an international/western facing first party now than ever before. Even something very Japanese like Death Stranding is a deal that uses technology from Guerilla Games.

Sony is hardly Japanese anymore and people need to wake up to that and stop pining over ages past.
The industry itself isn't stagnant, companies change plans all the time as much as consumers change games.

Sony could choose to chase after making their own JRPGs again if it makes sense for them and that is something they know and not us.

At the same time you won't see plans truly manifest into the public sphere until years from now due to development time lines being overly bloated.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017

Off the top of my head, at least two Dragonball games (Xenoverse and Fighter Z), Octopath 1, Takio no Tasujin, the Dark Souls remaster, Persona 5 R and SMT V all cleared a million. Dragon Quest 11 did well too. The Pixel remasters sold what were printed. I've also heard some smaller games like Live a Live and Shiren and House in Fata Morgana have done well for themselves. It's hard to tell unless the devs say something since it's hard to keep track of digital sales, but there's plenty of success stories. They don't have to sell more than Nintendo, just sell enough to meet expectations (or exceed them)

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
The 2 most popular "JRPGs" not called pokemon right now are not final fantasy, persona, or dragon quest. Are Genshin Impact and Honkai Star Rail. Kudos to the japanese developer Hoyoverse for that achievement

/s
They are also F2P games that capitalise on low barrier of entry and a business model built around character appeal and gambling. Things that core traditional JRPG fans and developers tend to be against. Nothing sign of an incompatibility between what the traditional JRPG market is, and the market that leads to top tier earners today.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Besides, the S.E. games released on Switch (outside DQ) are not big successes either and apart from Monster Hunter, Minecraft and a few f2p like Fornite what are the big third-party publisher successes on Switch?

What are the other big third party releases that you're referring to? You named em all

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Wait im confused. Isn't practically all Square games Multi-Platform except the 2 most recent Final Fantasy games? They can't just be making this decision off of just those 2 games.
It isn't that weird when you consider that they are simultaneously the two big cases of Square doing major exclusives and also two big cases of Square having some high profile games underperforming (more 7Re than 16, but even 16's PR has to try and couch things to cover up it not doing great).

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Sony isn't paying them to not put FF16 or Remake/Rebirth on other consoles, are they? If so it's the first I've heard of it. Seemed like Square just said they are focusing on Sony systems for those. Remake was originally supposed to come to Xbox Series
They are indeed paying for it, that's why you're seeing this in their trailer:

1ymt6gqkmaob1.png

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
The industry itself isn't stagnant, companies change plans all the time as much as consumers change games.

Sony could choose to chase after making their own JRPGs again if it makes sense for them and that is something they know and not us.

At the same time you won't see plans truly manifest into the public sphere until years from now due to development time lines being overly bloated.
Yeah Sony could choose to chase a dying market that is getting less and less relevant year on year. Sure. More power to them.

I ain't betting on that happening though. Lol.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
You mean like forever? There's no chance of that lol
I agree with you it seems very unlikely, I feel like (before today) I had still seen discussion of the possibility. Or if exclusivity ending after the trilogy finished was the "best case" scenario
No contract is in perpetuity. It's why the royal lives clause is a thing.
People are speculating about Part 3, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a clause in whatever contract currently exists that gives SE a way out for the third game. Whether that be a trigger like certain sales targets not being met with Rebirth or simply a condition allowing SE to buy their way out of it.

Last edited:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Better late than never but pretty bad timing with how Xbox has been performing lately. But if their next games can run on Switch 2 and is day one on PC they should be able to get more sales than remaining exclusive.

Yeah this is probably their main goal they're aiming for with "multiplatform."

And I expect Xbox will miss out on some ports, but will still get the big stuff.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Switch is a good marketplace for 3rd party games despite it being filled almost entirely with modest successes, but it's important to remember that the vast majority of those games also have modest budgets and ambitions.

Can't expect massive success on the Switch if you're not putting your big hitters on the Switch.

Chippewa Barr