duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Is it a dying market?
Tales of Arise did well, so does Persona, Yakuza (Like a Dragon) is doing well, etc...

Maybe it is dying in Japan but most companies are chasing the growing global market.
They are only doing well for their publishers because none of those are expected to be AAA games. FF outsells all of those and is making a loss for S-E now.

As far as AAA goes, it is a dying market for sure.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
They are also F2P games that capitalise on low barrier of entry and a business model built around character appeal and gambling. Things that core traditional JRPG fans and developers tend to be against. Nothing sign of an incompatibility between what the traditional JRPG market is, and the market that leads to top tier earners today.

"core traditional rpg fans" also said that FF16 will be a disaster, and ther we have it, probably still selling better than Rebirth. Honestly the term "core rpg fans" every day sounds more like "core star wars fans" for me.

My point is. The term "JRPG" is no longer a term for just rpgs made in japan, even if the definition says so. A developer of any country can make a JRPG in the same level or even better than a japanese developer.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
a change in strategy doesn't seem like a clear indication that existing contracts will be voided because of underperformance. You have to assume that Part 3 will also be exclusive to PS5 because Sony probably has dibs on the whole trilogy. I don't know how SE could overturn that unless they bought the contract out for a multiplatform release which sounds like something that never happens.
No one knows if Sony actually locked it up long term. Based on the changing exclusivity terms and timelines from game to game it sounds like they go from game to game rather than a deal that was set in stone 10 years ago.

Aside from that Square has had no interest or urgency in getting ports out since PC isn't ready when the contract is up. That's the actual part internally that has to change.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
It is bad news because it somewhat degrades the appeal of PlayStation as a lucrative platform for third parties which is the whole point of the entire operation, first party games are nice and all but your main goal is to profit from third party game sale commissions.
It's not Squares Job to make PlayStation a lucrative platform. Thats on Sony.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Is it a dying market?
Tales of Arise did well, so does Persona, Yakuza (Like a Dragon) is doing well, etc...

Maybe it is dying in Japan but most companies are chasing the growing global market.

People aren't buying FF but they are buying other JRPGs and now you have a new generation that hasn't even been raised by the old JRPGs for you to attract and grow.
"Doing well" when it comes to JRPGs may have a different definition than some think. P3R likely hasn't hit 2M sold yet. Same with LAD and Granblue. And there's a lot of overlap between the owners of these games.

People like to point out Persona 5 but forget that it took them six games on multiple platforms and genres to get that series to 10M in sales, not to mention that there's lots of overlap in that series too (if you bought P5S, you probably own either P5 or P5R as well).

The number of humans that actually play these games I think would be shockingly small relative to other genres.

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't that weird when you consider that they are simultaneously the two big cases of Square doing major exclusives and also two big cases of Square having some high profile games underperforming (more 7Re than 16, but even 16's PR has to try and couch things to cover up it not doing great).

Yeah but an entire publisher making such a decision off of two games doesn't sound right. Hasn't square released other games that have also underperformed? Weren't there also studios they gave up? I mean......two blockbuster hits is not the only issue I think is happening with square if this is what they are boldly saying.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I mean Squeenix themselves state that Xbox is a platform going forward, right in the OT text - and in your example of DQ11 the DE did come Day 1, and with this announcement, it'd only make sense to continue doing so considering the dire state that both of these companies are in.

They would be shooting themselves in the foot (heh) if they didn't release their big multiplatform games Day 1 - all the momentum is at release and your odds of success/profitability taper off significantly the more delayed your release is - this entire announcement is to state that basically...BUT it is Squeenix, so I assume it will be implemented terribly.

…As I said

No where does it say that every single game they publish in every single region will be on all that platforms day 1 lol. It's possible obviously, but will every game come to Switch 2 day 1, for instance? That's doubtful unless they plan to never chase high fidelity again. Either way, I said DQ12 was going to be multiplatform and probably was going to be even before this. The rest is just needless obtuseness

All of this because I said DQ11 was already multiplatform so 12 was probably going to be multiplatform already even before this coming to at least PS5 and Switch 2. My god

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Yeah but an entire publisher making such a decision off of two games doesn't sound right. Hasn't square released other games that have also underperformed? Weren't there also studios they gave up? I mean......two blockbuster hits is not the only issue I think is happening with square if this is what they are boldly saying.
They have a new CEO coming off the back of a CEO who got fired. He needs to answer to shareholders and show he's not a lame duck.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
a change in strategy doesn't seem like a clear indication that existing contracts will be voided because of underperformance. You have to assume that Part 3 will also be exclusive to PS5 because Sony probably has dibs on the whole trilogy. I don't know how SE could overturn that unless they bought the contract out for a multiplatform release which sounds like something that never happens.

Of course, we also don't know if there's a deal in place for it either. We'll just have to see.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Their two biggest games. From their biggest IP.
When your biggest brand is suffering from 3 successive drop in sales, there is an issue.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
They are only doing well for their publishers because none of those are expected to be AAA games. FF outsells all of those and is making a loss for S-E now.

As far as AAA goes, it is a dying market for sure.
those games are AAA though

if you're talking about sales I get they aren't FF levels but FF is dropping off/shrinking while those are growing

do you not think eventually they will swap or is the market too small for that?

consumers are fickle, something isn't absolute and maybe there is more growth for those franchises in the future

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
FFVII Remake trilogy, FFXVI and FFXVII on Switch 2 let's go!!!!

Also for anyone saying they won't work on that console, they absolutely will. Switch 2 is looking like a beast

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
"Doing well" when it comes to JRPGs may have a different definition than some think. P3R likely hasn't hit 2M sold yet. Same with LAD and Granblue. And there's a lot of overlap between the owners of these games.

People like to point out Persona 5 but forget that it took them six games on multiple platforms and genres to get that series to 10M in sales, not to mention that there's lots of overlap in that series too (if you bought P5S, you probably own either P5 or P5R as well).

The number of humans that actually play these games I think would be shockingly small relative to other genres.
got it,

wonder if they should market these games, especially the more action orientated ones as just games and not niche JRPGs?

for example even FF16 had more newcomers then FF7

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
those games are AAA though

if you're talking about sales I get they aren't FF levels but FF is dropping off/shrinking while those are growing

do you not think eventually they will swap or is the market too small for that?

consumers are fickle, something isn't absolute and maybe there is more growth for those franchises in the future
Dude, Tales Of, Persona, and Yakuza games are absolutely not AAA games. They do not have a fraction of development or marketing budget that classifies an AAA game for a modern publisher.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you it seems very unlikely, I feel like (before today) I had still seen discussion of the possibility. Or if exclusivity ending after the trilogy finished was the "best case" scenario

People are speculating about Part 3, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a clause in whatever contract currently exists that give's SE a way out for the third game. Whether that be a trigger like certain sales targets not being met with Rebirth or simply a condition allowing SE to buy their way out of it.
There's always a way out. When I say no contract is in perpetuity, I meant that literally. Perpetuity contracts aren't allowed under common law systems and is almost always disallowed under civil law systems like Japan. Sony & Square wouldn't have made a contract that would be held up as invalid in a US court.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, Tales Of, Persona, and Yakuza games are absolutely not AAA games. They do not have a fraction of development or marketing budget that classifies an AAA game for a modern publisher.
they are considered AAA, idk what you're talking about lol

Tales of Arise is AAA

the latest Like a Dragon is AAA

even Granblue Relink is AAA

AAA's range/scope is larger then you think, these companies call these games AAA too

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Well, let's see how that plays out. I can't see a single situation in which Square is turning down money from anyone...whether that be Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft.

In the situation where taking money in exchange of lower sales means each time, the compensation is lower, since lower sales means a devaluation of your brand, to the point it's not appealing anymore, neither to the customers or the companies who used to gave you money for that.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
There's always a way out. When I say no contract is in perpetuity, I meant that literally. Perpetuity contracts aren't allowed under common law systems and is almost always disallowed under civil law systems like Japan. Sony & Square wouldn't have made a contract that would be held up as invalid in a US court.
Interesting, didn't know that part about perpetuity contracts!

I'm sure something's been signed for Part 3 already but here's hoping SE dissolves it and launches the game on every major platform. Would be very hype.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Tales of Arise is AAA

AAA's range/scope is larger then you think, these companies call these games AAA too

Have never seen Bandai, Cygames or Atlus call those games AAA and they have dont have that kinda budget otherwise their sales would be rly bad for the publishers behind them.

They are simply well produced games, don't need to be AAA for that.

Oct 25, 2017
Their two biggest games. From their biggest IP.
When your biggest brand is suffering from 3 successive drop in sales, there is an issue.

I'm calling BS. Was the Avengers not taking into consideration? Losing Edios and Crystal Dynamics? Epic store? I mean, Octopath Traveler, DQ, Triangle Strategy all being on specific platforms exclusively themselves...etc etc...Long dev times between projects....You're telling me that none of those are also issues? This is all because of a Playstation exclusivity to 2 FF games?...... Yeah, no I'm not buying that.

If you said Forspoken and or Foamstars...that would me a ton more sense. Especially considering, neither, if not all Square games, didn't need to be exclusive anyways.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

Tales of Arise is AAA

I don't know how to respond to this other than to say this is absolutely wrong. Would love to see even a single example of Sega or Bandai Namco as a publisher actually calling those games AAA.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
The devs themselves said so.

Rebirth's quality was only possible thanks to developing for one sku.

That is and always will be, nonsense. We arent talking about developing for cross gen games. If you are to say what they are saying is true, you are basically saying that game lit cant exist on other platforms. And the OG poster I was talking too even said they are ok with later ports..... which lit means the original statement of scope being effected by # of platforms, is nonsense.

# of platforms doesnt matter. What those platforms are matters. The only thing one could argue is that the "polish" of the game may be effected. Even then, not by much

Oct 25, 2017
In the situation where taking money in exchange of lower sales means each time, the compensation is lower, since lower sales means a devaluation of your brand, to the point it's not appealing anymore, neither to the customers or the companies who used to gave you money for that.

I'm gonna bookmark this for future reference. I'm sure we will revisit this when they decide to create yet, another, exclusive.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Tales of Arise is AAA

Can't comment on Granblue but Tales and Yakuza have always been a much lower budget series compared to something like Final Fantasy.

Yakuza especially reuses so many assets to be able to come out nearly annually. That low budget charm is part of why I like the series honestly. Basically prepare yourself for Yagami to somehow be in Hawaii for Judgment 3.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I'm calling BS. Was the Avengers not taking into consideration? Losing Edios and Crystal Dynamics? Epic store? I mean, Octopath Traveler, DQ, Triangle Strategy all being on specific platforms exclusively themselves...etc etc...Long dev times between projects....You're telling me that none of those are also issues? This is all because of a Playstation exclusivity to 2 FF games?...... Yeah, no I'm not buying that.

If you said Forspoken and or Foamstars...that would me a ton more sense. Especially considering, neither, if not all Square games, didn't need to be exclusive anyways.

Have you missed the part where FFVII Rebirth's budget likely is ten times bigger than the one of Octopath and Triangle Strategy altogether ?

Or that, as I said, Final Fantasy is their biggest historic IP and that this IP in particular, combined with the fact that these 2 releases are likely their biggest titles in history, underperformed and keeps performing worse each time ?

I'm gonna bookmark this for future reference. I'm sure we will revisit this when they decide to create yet, another, exclusive.

They might. I mean, they likely still have on-going deals. And if they make new ones, it doesn't mean they'd be right. Then again, it's SE's who's talking about going multiplatform for AAA titles.

Cappy

Feb 5, 2018
Well, part of this seemingly involves a greater strategy shift to lessening the number of overall games they develop, focusing on making fewer, "higher quality" games, and then expanding them to reach to as many people as possible by hitting all the main platforms. What prompted the shift, I mean you could look at how FF16 and FF7 Rebirth have done comparatively, but I believe the new CEO has talked about this before FF7 Rebirth even came out. People aren't wrong about SE already releasing games on multiple platforms, but specifically, they seem to indicate they want their big AAA games to be everywhere so they can reach more people, including and maybe especially Final Fantasy.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
That is and always will be, nonsense. We arent talking about developing for cross gen games. If you are to say what they are saying is true, you are basically saying that game lit cant exist on other platforms. And the OG poster I was talking too even said they are ok with later ports..... which lit means the original statement of scope being effected by # of platforms, is nonsense.

# of platforms doesnt matter. What those platforms are matters. The only thing one could argue is that the "polish" of the game may be effected. Even then, not by much

I mean I also think it is overblown but lets say CBU1/CS has a deadline of 3-4 years to get the game out then porting can definitely result in having to cut back in other areas.

Chippewa Barr