Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this gonna get delisted soon?
You're probaby mistaking it for the limited edition, which includes wallpapers (and I think some songs?). That's only available for a limited time, but the game itself is staying up. Would be silly if it weren't considering it was just released not too long ago.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Really hope this is a sign of things to come with post-release support for Square, so many of their rereleases (or even newer ones) are botched out of the gate with usually no hope of improvement. Breaks my heart to see the state FF5 and 6 are in on Steam...

But if they do truly fix the visual + UI issues of this I'll put my money down, would love to play through CT again as well as support pro customer moves like this

JRoth

Oct 26, 2017
Will probably purchase this, but only after I see what the game looks like after the patch. Baffling why this wasn't in the original release...

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is embarrassing. Like, why are you discovering this during an interview? Guy should be on top of what their fan base wants. This is part of the reason why Square Enix is in the situation they're in.

You mean FF5, I'm guessing. FF4 received excellent remakes (yes, that's right, two good ones!).
Oh yeah FF5.

It's unfortunate the PSP remake of FF4 remained exclusive to that console. Truly fantastic and the standard all of these games should hold on to. Instead we get what we get. :|

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
PSP versions of 1,2 and 4 are some much better then everything else they have done
ff1-psp1.0.jpg

Last edited:

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
PSP versions of 1,2 and 4 are some much better then everything else they have done

I know the visual style of these tends to divide people but I honestly really liked it, thought it was a remarkably successful take on the older sprites at a higher resolution. They struck a nice balance between preserving the original art (or at least the Origins aesthetic for 1-2) while adding detail.

Also helps they didn't have a hideous smear filter on them D: And admittedly the font choice isn't great but still leagues ahead of the later FF5-6 re-releases.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Now do this with FF5 and FF6 on mobile and PC and release them on PS4 while you're at it.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You're probaby mistaking it for the limited edition, which includes wallpapers (and I think some songs?). That's only available for a limited time, but the game itself is staying up. Would be silly if it weren't considering it was just released not too long ago.

Ah okay. Gotcha. That was indeed what I confused it with.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand why FF4 could get two excellent remakes (one in 3D, one in 2D) and FF5 and 6 can't get one decent PC port without them looking like shit. I played FF4 for the first time with that amazing PSP 2D HD remake. Just do that for 5 and 6, Square!

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be tough for them to recover from that 41% they're sitting at. Shouldn't have released it in its current state in the first place.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The iOS version has an issue where the music restarts after anything interrupts it, like in the FFX ports for PS4 pre-patch. Is this issue in the Steam version as well?
Wait, what? What? What??

So not only does this happen with FF7's and 9's PS4 ports, but also with CT iOS? This has got to be on purpose on their part. :|

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
1 Step in the right direction after they got lost in the woods doing ... "stuff"

Graphics patch and Ui patch are must haves ... for me to even look at this release.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Well, I will buy the game if they fix the tile issues, fonts, remove the crap mobile UI (which is ok for mobile but not PC) and remove that smear filter. That is in addition to having the old graphics as an option.

BobZhn

Nov 17, 2017
SE Asia
Hasn't the unfiltered sprites fan mod been released ? Will this be a case of SE waiting and then "officiating" some of the fan mod content ?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Holy crap, they actually plan to update this. Thought for sure this was another NieR Automata situation where they promise they're "investigating the issues" before falling off the face of the earth.

Hasn't the unfiltered sprites fan mod been released ? Will this be a case of SE waiting and then "officiating" some of the fan mod content ?
That mod just unfilters some of the sprites - things like world map tiles, static foreground art, characters, etc. remain smudgy and badly-seamed. This graphics update will apparently return everything to classic-style graphics, which will (hopefully) eliminate tile seams at long last. We'll see though...

Oct 28, 2017
Why is it so difficult to just release the original ROM in the first place? Just curious here. I mean, they should have the file somewhere right?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it so difficult to just release the original ROM in the first place? Just curious here. I mean, they should have the file somewhere right?
Because they actually believed what they did to the game made it better.

Square is embarrassed of their old sprite games.
It's insane but apparently true.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
now they get to reset the steam reviews too, since the LE is going away

which i still say was the point of it the whole time

release a minimum effort mobile port, see how it's received, then reset review score with the regular version

Mar 4, 2018
I'll never understand why FF4 could get two excellent remakes (one in 3D, one in 2D) and FF5 and 6 can't get one decent PC port without them looking like shit. I played FF4 for the first time with that amazing PSP 2D HD remake. Just do that for 5 and 6, Square!

I think i can understand about this . FF4 was made by chrono ,parasite eve director so he go all way out to remake one of his game while get stuck on molbie department . He was not invole with FF5 and 6 in the past so he is not working on those new remake and neither old director like Ito or Kitase work on those games. Moreover , 2 different era , FF4 remake was made under Yoichi wada as CEO while FF5,6 was made under Yosuke Matsuda as CEO .if you can look at all the game release under their era, we get much more news game and high budget title under Wada than Matsuda .

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they get rid of the mobile UI as well. Is that something that can be modded at least?

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the FFV and FFVI iOS/Steam ports, remember this interview from last year, lol:

"I am actually curious to know — I believe the port version, the one you can get right now, does use the more brushed up artwork that's a little bit more refined," Kitase said. "Do fans want to see the older version that's not as refined? Is that the sentiment?"

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
The community mods have already been pretty great, so even if they don't touch the UI (which it desperately needs), there are mods that improve the text and take out some of the annoying mobile holdovers. Here's hoping SE follows through and does it right.

Before:

rWWKFp7.png

I93h1OQ.jpg

After:

NfsdYn8.png

Kd3rThi.png

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I figured the fans would fix it but glad to see Square listened. Now we wait and see how well they follow through.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they do the same for FFVI iOS/Android.
Wish SE would fix Final Fantasy Tactics on iOS.
Wait, what's wrong with Tactics on iOS outside of the animation/sound desync problem that every single WotL release has (and the lack of battle quotes)? The higher-res sprites look great and extremely faithful on that port.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they patch FFVI after that... I wanna buy chrono, never played it >_<

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

why don't they just keep making em look like that???
How did they manage to get worse at this???
THAT'S NOT HOW PROGRESS WORKS D:

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think the PSP releases are based off the Gameboy Advance remakes which Tokita was actually involved in iirc. Probably a general lack of interest/caring in putting together good 2D remakes of some of these more recent ports.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
FF6 got robbed. GBA has the updated content but the sound quality is horrible. Mobile has the content but the visuals are jank. Hope this is good after the patches. Doesnt this have native widescreen?