• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
i wanna see google acquire konami's gaming division just for the reactions on ERA

OP
OP
zedox

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah no shit that's not what I mean.

Big Tech investing heavily into gaming is a relatively new thing. Google and Facebook acquiring small "AA" studios didn't happen before Microsoft did the exact same thing. If you've watched how the tech sector eroded by the same companies buying all the startups, it's concerning the same thing is potentially happening to gaming. This isn't a console wars thing, it's bigger than that.
Amazon acquired Double Helix at the beginning of this generation...Microsoft is not the first nor last to make this a "thing" ...These companies were going to do this with or without Microsoft as someone stated earlier. You are making it a consoles wars thing because you acting as if MS made this a thing...it's not.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't happen before cause they wanted to enter the market trough Cloud technology, that wasn't ready before... but of course you know that and are just arguing in bad faith, lmao
What does that have to do with what I just said. Big Tech acquisitions are bad no matter what. It doesn't matter if it's Google, Microsoft, or Sony. End of story.

Amazon acquired Double Helix at the beginning of this generation...Microsoft is not the first nor last to make this a "thing" ...These companies were going to do this with or without Microsoft as someone stated earlier. You are making it a consoles wars thing because you acting as if MS made this a thing...it's not.
Except it isn't a console wars thing and I've explained why.

You guys aren't going to understand, it's always going to be
my favorite company doing something = good
my least favorite company doing something = bad

It doesn't matter how similar they are. I like Xbox, but fuck vertical integration.

Last edited:

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
MS had been the target for many woes lol.

Posting for online, ignoring that they spent billions setting up an infrastructure that never existed for consoles (also making broadband manditory).
Thanks to competition, Sony stepped up it's game in the online arena

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Please only put your games behind the walled garden of the Mega Corp I approve of...

Only one walled garden makes the games completely disappear when the service goes away. If Google wants to commit to publishing their games on other storefronts, then they can snatch up whoever they want.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
What does that have to do with what I just said. Big Tech acquisitions are bad no matter what. It doesn't matter if it's Google, Microsoft, or Sony. End of story.

you know whats worst than that? going bankrupt or having no financial security. no company out there is forcing any developer into their big bad mouths be it Microsoft, Google and Sony, its their choice, or you'd rather see those developers closing and see people go unemployed? so get off your high horse lol, thats what they want

Kerwop

Dec 15, 2017
Stadia acquisitions are worse than others to me because if something is Stadia exclusive nobody will have a local copy and it could easily be lost forever.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be shocked if Stadia is shut down before they ever ship a game for it.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Good to see Google making a more serious move to get some games going, exclusive or not. Deeper pockets means the dev can do things with less restraint, too, I'm sure.

Well, hope it's worth the money.
Have fun in creating games nobody has access to anymore after a few years and games nobody will remember because of it.
Yep, it's a Stadia thread, alright!

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you know whats worst than that? going bankrupt or having no financial security. no company out there is forcing any developer into their big bad mouths be it Microsoft, Google and Sony, its their choice, or you'd rather see those developers closing and see people go unemployed? so get off your high horse lol, thats what they want
Read a book, or watch a youtube video on monopolization and vertical integration and please go on and tell me how it's a good thing.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I was more than happy when Sony acquires Insomniac and definitely enjoyed MSs recent new initiative to bolster their first party, but this... feels lame?

Like, I don't want stadia to acquire anyone lol if anything build your own. Just feels like a waste.

Am I a hypocrite?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They are going to spend all of that money setting up an infrastructure, creating and acquiring studios... But then close down immediately if it is not instantly profitable?
Not instantly, you will see less focus, then finally shit being run by a skeleton crew, then boom shutdown notice.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Big Tech investing heavily into gaming is a relatively new thing. Google and Facebook acquiring small "AA" studios didn't happen before Microsoft did the exact same thing. If you've watched how the tech sector eroded by the same companies buying all the startups, it's concerning the same thing is potentially happening to gaming. This isn't a console wars thing, it's bigger than that.
but MS is not a big tech company just starting to invest into gaming, they've been invested for nearly 2 decades, and even before then had their hand in it with PC gaming and publishing some games. i see your point but relating it to MS is nonsensical.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I was more than happy when Sony acquires Insomniac and definitely enjoyed MSs recent new initiative to bolster their first party, but this... feels lame?

Like, I don't want stadia to acquire anyone lol if anything build your own. Just feels like a waste.

Am I a hypocrite?
Yes, yes you are. and so is everyone else in this thread saying it when they were just lauding the acquisitions you mentioned among others.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
People shouting about studio acquisitions and game preservation, ignoring the fact that this might be a good and potentially necessary way for a small studio to keep operating...

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They are going to spend all of that money setting up an infrastructure, creating and acquiring studios... But then close down immediately if it is not instantly profitable?

https://mashable.com/2017/05/11/google-acquires-owlchemy/
In case you needed more proof that Google is serious about virtual reality, here's a bit of news for you: The Mountain View company has acquired Owlchemy, as announced by both companies on their respective blogs.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/10/15/google-discontinues-daydream-vr/
Google's Daydream, Android's built-in virtual reality platform, is as good as dead.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
This was a team that allegedly turned down a Microsoft acquisition and instead goes to Google?

Uh, alright guys. Best of luck to you, I guess.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Exactly the sort of move Stadia should have made, oh, 3 years ago? maybe 5.

Getting into the studio game after you launch your platform is just outrageously dumb.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
A year ago, many of us thought they were destined for Microsoft. Now they're with Google.
Wonder what happened.
Was Microsoft never interested? Did Microsoft lose interest? Did Google offer more money? Was Google somehow a 'better fit' ?

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
thats because they dont care about it, they are mad cause their preferred platform will receive one less game

Feel free to go through my post history and figure out what my preferred platform is. I would love to know.

I care far more about game preservation, and it honestly makes me kind of sad that the die-hard Stadia defenders would rather pretend it's console wars than care about that too.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I don't need my internet to be up 100% and not have someone else in the house sucking down internet to play local games. So yeah I'd rather just have the local option over cloud. I am even the type of person who downloads my Itunes movies before watching them because I don't want it pausing to buffer in the middle of a scene.
Right. You're probably not using 4K Netflix or Disney+ either. Definitely not for you. But it is for many folks.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Well with Microsoft and Sony, gaming is part of the long-term business plan. Google could shut Stadia down next year if it doesn't take off, and then what happens to the studios?
Yeah no. Google wants to compete with MS and its cloud infrastructure and against AWS. They are in this for the long haul.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games developed for streaming-only aren't worth being developed at all. They essentially don't exist.

It's a nightmare scenario. Best case, these games come to an actual PC storefront after a period of time, otherwise they will end up as lost media.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand, this seems to be primarily an acquihire, given Jade Raymond's history with Typhoon's large cheddars. On the other hand, I can't believe Human Head's time between "releasing an EGS exclusive" and "company getting dissolved through acquisition" is getting obliterated this quickly.

OP
OP
zedox

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Games developed for streaming-only aren't worth being developed at all. They essentially don't exist.

It's a nightmare scenario. Best case, these games come to an actual PC storefront after a period of time, otherwise they will end up as lost media.
I disagree.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
They are doing exactly what the industry usually does. It's in line with everything. Stop making this out to be a Google centric hate thing.
For God sake lol i don't care about Google hate even I'm interested in the platform but I'm trolling a bit because people hear about stadia and get scared and begin hating it with passion , it was sarcasm.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
i wanna see google acquire konami's gaming division just for the reactions on ERA
Lol. I'm curious to what ERA's demographics are as it concerns their daily lives and the ecosystems they are with. Such as Apple /Samsung/Google/MS/Sony.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
For God sake lol i don't care about Google hate even I'm interested in the platform but I'm trolling a bit because people hear about stadia and get scared and begin hating it with passion , it was sarcasm.
gotcha. that makes a lot more sense now that i've reread it.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I'm really interested in buying streaming-only games but good to see the studio get financial support. I'm looking forward to, hopefully, reading more about it in Alex Hutchinson's next Edge column.