Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Keep in mind that, at least before the delay, Cyberpunk was planned to arrive on Stadia later in the year, after the console/PC releases had already happened. Maybe that's changed now with the delay but it could still be a late release for Stadia.
I'm fine with that. I didn't get to the Witcher until years after launch as well. I'm still only about 60% through it I think. Oddly I started on local hardware and will probably finish it on Geforce Now.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It hasn't really launched yet, do you really think they are just scrapping all of the money, time and research that was put into this because of a poor launch 3 months in?
They are accepting money and selling a product, it's launched. The only alternative is people paid 130 bucks to alpha test.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
The only alternative is people paid 130 bucks to alpha test.
This is what happened, using the phrase "Early access" instead, hence all of the rage.

Irregardless, the intent is a free tier and Youtube integration which they have not released yet and only then can failure or success be measured as there is nothing to compare this to. The plan is to just pack it up now because they sold 30k units instead of the 40k allotted (I'm making up numbers but i don't think there plan was to have a million customers at this point when it is clearly testing the system)?

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
They are accepting money and selling a product, it's launched. The only alternative is people paid 130 bucks to alpha test.
Whereas Nvidia and Microsoft have had beta tests for months and have managed to do so without charging customers and thus building a cache of bad will because of missing features etc.

In fact as of today Geforce Now especially makes Stadia look like a bag of crap.

When even Nvidia out do you in feature rollout of a new product, you gone fucked up.

Google are a 1tn dollar company and they're acting like one who can't even keep up with their products due to a lack of resources. It's frankly embarrassing.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
This is what happened, using the phrase "Early access" instead, hence all of the rage.

Irregardless, the intent is a free tier and Youtube integration which they have not released yet and only then can failure or success be measured as there is nothing to compare this to. The plan is to just pack it up now because they sold 30k units instead of the 40k allotted (I'm making up numbers but i don't think there plan was to have a million customers at this point when it is clearly testing the system)?
Again, Microsoft and Nvidia managed to test their systems without rinsing customers, so why should we give Google a pass for such scummy practice.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Uh no. Phil Harrison is in charge of Stadia. Jade Raymond only heads up their first party studio and her joining Google was only announced in March of last year (which means having any first party content for launch was unrealistic).

"Jade Raymond (born 28 August 1975) is a Canadian video game producer and executive in charge of Stadia Games and Entertainment, best known as founder of Ubisoft Toronto and Motive Studios."

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Again, Microsoft and Nvidia managed to test their systems without rinsing customers, so why should we give Google a pass for such scummy practice.
I was answering a post about Google closing shop 3 months in. Nothing about their early access deployment. In fact I have posted a nauseatingly amount of times of how it should have been labelled a beta

But on the topic of being "rinsed".

For $180 (Canada) I got
Chromecast Ultra $90
Gamepad $80

now because I don't technically own them, the remaining $10:
2 exclusive games :Gylt, Samurai Shodown (at the time it launched)
6 other titles
for 3 months

Also got to pick up the awesome Darksiders which was exclusive to consoles at the time

They are not exactly twirling their mustaches laughing evilly at how they pulled a fast one...

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

"Jade Raymond (born 28 August 1975) is a Canadian video game producer and executive in charge of Stadia Games and Entertainment, best known as founder of Ubisoft Toronto and Motive Studios."
Exactly. She's in charge of Games. Her responsibilities include heading the first party studio(s) and working with external ones to help bring games to Stadia. Phil Harrison is in charge of Stadia overall. He is effectively her boss.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I was answering a post about Google closing shop 3 months in. Nothing about their early access deployment. In fact I have posted a nauseatingly amount of times of how it should have been labelled a beta

For $180 (Canada) I got
Chromecast Ultra $90
Gamepad $80

6 other titles
for 3 months

Also got to pick up the awesome Darksiders which was exclusive to consoles at the time

They are not exactly twirling their mustaches laughing evilly at how they pulled a fast one...

If you were going to buy a Chromecast and a non-standard controller at full price anyway, you could definitely make this rationale. Otherwise though, the user is buying hardware to use a (potentially) dead platform. It's been a while since people have had to worry about truly failed platforms outside of something like Ouya, but it's a legit concern here.

This is a little outside what you were talking about, but almost more important: Stadia software is being sold at full price, with no possible support/playability if the platform does drop.

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

For $180 (Canada) I got
Chromecast Ultra $90
Gamepad $80

6 other titles
for 3 months

Sure, it works out if the Founders Pack or whatever is all that you've purchased.

Google's out here charging full retail prices for the games during this "beta" period, though.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, it works out if the Founders Pack or whatever is all that you've purchased.

Google's out here charging full retail prices for the games during this "beta" period, though.
If the were to shut the doors now they would deserve all of the outrage and lawsuits that would come. But the assumption is you used Stadia and then decided the experience was good enough to warrant the purchase? I know 99.9% of posters here seemingly have a storage facility with all of their games for the last 40 years based on the outcry of Streaming and digital distribution, but what is the realistic metric for being fleeced? If Google shuts down this down in 2 years, 5, 10?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If the were to shut the doors now they would deserve all of the outrage and lawsuits that would come. But the assumption is you used Stadia and then decided the experience was good enough to warrant the purchase? I know 99.9% of posters here seemingly have a storage facility with all of their games for the last 40 years based on the outcry of Streaming and digital distribution, but what is the realistic metric for being fleeced? If Google shuts down this down in 2 years, 5, 10?

The Metric is if Google ever shuts this down. If people buy games at any point and they lose access to those games at any point and they are not reimbursed, then I consider that getting fleeced

Unless Google clearly communicates that risk to the consumer before they purchase the product which they haven't

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
The Metric is if Google ever shuts this down. If people buy games at any point and they lose access to those games at any point and they are not reimbursed, then I consider that getting fleeced

Unless Google clearly communicates that risk to the consumer before they purchase the product which they haven't

Honest question, have you looked into the EULA for the service or their game sales? I haven't, but I would very much imagine it contains language covering there being no expectation that the service be run forever nor would the users be entitled to refunds.

It's a full streaming service, without looking I'm pretty positive they've got it covered.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
If people buy games at any point and they lose access to those games at any point and they are not reimbursed , then I consider that getting fleeced
So fantasy then. I trade in a game at EBGames 1 day after buying it and it loses 50% of it's value. A year later it is more valuable as a coaster on my coffee table

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So fantasy then. I trade in a game at EBGames 1 day after buying it and it loses 50% of it's value. A year later it is more valuable as a coaster on my coffee table

You're talking about something completely different than buying a product with the assumption of lifetime access and then suddenly losing that access. You're talking about stuff depreciating in value which is totally not the issue at hand

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Trading a game in to Gamestop voluntarily and Stadia's cloud service going offline are two completely different things.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm talking about the expectation of being owed reparations for loss of access to a game for all eternity

If Google gave a guarantee like Valve that they would allow you to retain access to all your games in the instance of a shutdown then that'd be a fantastic way for them to put their money where their mouth is and assuage concerns. That'd be making a huge statement that they're behind Stadia for the long haul. But buying games on a nascent platform where the company has some degree of notoriety for abandoning projects (even if it's exaggerated in discussions) is absolutely a risk. Stadia isn't like a console where worst case I can download the game to a harddrive to preserve it like people did for P.T. If Stadia shuts down, those games are 100% gone.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm talking about the expectation of being owed reparations for loss of access to a game for all eternity. AKA for some reason the purchase never loses value.

In the example that you gave access was surrendered willingly and not lost unexpectedly. Gamestop didn't violate your trust by selling you a game and then you coming back yourself to trade it in

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that people actually believe this (with the generous assumption that they aren't trolling). Google has invested a lot of years and a shitload of money into this. The "launch" has been rough for sure, but we are less than 90 days into the existence of the platform. It is absolutely not dead.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that people actually believe this (with the generous assumption that they aren't trolling). Google has invested a lot of years and a shitload of money into this. The "launch" has been rough for sure, but we are less than 90 days into the existence of the platform. It is absolutely not dead.

I mean, it could very well be dead but I agree that Google will continue work on it. I'd imagine if a year from now consumers still don't care about Stadia I could see them start to ramp down all production of it.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I think Stadia will be mostly fine. Once they start leveraging YouTube and their search engine and etc. they'll find some sort of audience. It might end up like a Google Play Music situation where it's vastly overshadowed by competitors (in this case XCloud, PSNow, the rumored Amazon one, etc.), but I'd be surprised if Stadia actually ends up being such a flop that they shut it down.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017

Not to mention creating a studio and purchasing another one a freaking month ago....

Whether it changes the world and competes with the main players is another story, but the idea that they are just going to shutdown in the short term is kind of bonkers.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I still can't get over the fact that Phil Harrison seems to be in hiding. Not a single word since launch. Way to lead by example

PS3, Atari, Xbox One, Stadia,
his work is done here, he is searching for new opportunities. Nintendo is certainly working on a Switch successor, many opportunities to make it the best, ever!

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I also have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that a company the size of google would plan for there to be a 40+ day period immediately after launch with no games and no announcements of games. Ordinarily when you launch a platform you have a "plan" for what happens afterwards... and if that plan existed and involved this huge dark period of no games *immediately* after launch.... it becomes easy to believe anything

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I also have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that a company the size of google would plan for there to be a 40+ day period immediately after launch with no games and no announcements of games. Ordinarily when you launch a platform you have a "plan" for what happens afterwards... and if that plan existed and involved this huge dark period of no games *immediately* after launch.... it becomes easy to believe anything
One commonly speculated partial explanation for this is that Google made a last-minute call to release all the games that were ready at launch to pad out the launch numbers. Whatever the reason, games definitely were moved up - the launch lineup originally announced on Nov 11th had 12 games but a week later that was increased to 22, with some games that had been scheduled for early 2020 moved to launch.

If they'd gone with the original plan perhaps there'd have been something like one launch per week to keep a steady flow of "new" stuff hitting the platform.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
My internet disconnected for an entire day last month and I was unable to play Gears 5. It was awful. Stadia is worse because my internet speed can vary a lot throughout the day.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

The question that's been coming to my mind: will Google actually go through with the investment it will take to launch Stadia Free and have something like Youtube integration that could have millions of people at least trying it out at a time?

Or will they do some super limited launch of these features maybe?

Having any number of millions of gamers trying it out means millions of Stadia instances built out in their data centers.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty genuinely surprised at how quickly Stadia has fizzled out. I wasn't expecting Google to stick with it for years and years, but I thought they had more to offer than just the launch titles. Seems like they rushed to market so they could get ahead of the PS5 and XSX.