• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5go...-is-now-available-for-lg-webos-smart-tvs/amp/

As you'd expect, the Stadia app on LG Smart TVs will be able to take advantage of the full suite of Stadia Pro features including 4K resolution, HDR, and 5.1 surround sound. For controls, the WiFi-connected Stadia Controller is fully compatible, as are most common Bluetooth and USB game controllers. To get started with Stadia on your LG TV, simply install the Stadia app via the LG Content Store.

This launch marks the first TV ecosystem to receive an official Stadia app outside of Google's own Chromecast Ultra and Android TV platforms.

For any new people jumping in because of this, if you want 3 free months of Stadia Pro then follow these directions:

https://gaming.lenovo.com/us/earn/b/giveaways-members-only/posts/get-3-months-of-stadia-pro-on-us-2

Step 1-You have to enter your Legion user name and email

Step 2-Re-enter your Legion user name

Step 3-ReCaptcha

Step 4 Right click on the CLAIM button and copy the text code after "invite_code="

Step 5 Open stadia in browser-Click user-Click Stadia settings-Click Redeem Code-Enter the code from step 4 and click Redeem

Last edited:

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
For controls, the WiFi-connected Stadia Controller is fully compatible, as are most common Bluetooth and USB game controllers.

But using the Chromecast Ultra for it is still the best option no? Connects directly to Google's servers?

Or will the Google controller still connect to the servers, when using the LG's OS App?

GlamPrime

Banned
Nov 1, 2021
According to google LG sells 7 million TV sets a year. Personal estimation being the broad customer / instal base don't care or will ever download any gaming app.

This and every other gaming app needs to be installed on every tv moving forward or it's a non factor.

OP
OP

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
But using the Chromecast Ultra for it is still the best option no? Connects directly to Google's servers?

Or will the Google controller still connect to the servers, when using the LG's OS App?
Yep, wifi controller works fine here. It works across really any device that supports Stadia so the experience should be mostly the same.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Great news. Very cool to play games right off the TV, no box required.

OP
OP

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
uhhh i have a bx.... little curious, how you get a controller hooked up?
i suck, in op, ehhhh
Pretty easily :). If you're using a Bluetooth controller then you just connect VIA Bluetooth. If you're using a wired then plug it into one of your USB ports. If you're using the official Stadia controller then you just turn it on (after initial setup) then it automatically connects to your WIFi. If Stadia's running on the last machine you connected to then it'll automatically "pair" to that device. If you need to "pair" it manually then you just go into the Stadia menu and press the 4 button combination it's showing on the screen which will then connect the controller to that instance of Stadia.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Pretty easily :). If you're using a Bluetooth controller then you just connect VIA Bluetooth. If you're using a wired then plug it into one of your USB ports. If you're using the official Stadia controller then you just turn it on (after initial setup) then it automatically connects to your WIFi. If Stadia's running on the last machine you connected to then it'll automatically "pair" to that device. If you need to "pair" it manually then you just go into the Stadia menu and press the 4 button combination it's showing on the screen which will then connect the controller to that instance of Stadia.
can i plug in my old wwired x360 controller? hmmm

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
cool. upgraded my LG to a C1 this year, and just picked up a stadia box 2 weeks ago when they ran the "buy a $30 game, get a stadia pro kit" thing. I should open it up and fiddle with it, i can give the chromecast to a relative too then

it would be really neat to eventually get a gamepass app, even crazier would be if the stadia controller work on an LG TV over the xbox app to play xcloud games lol

Dermee

Dec 16, 2017
If it's like all other LG webOS apps, the quality will not be very great. I have stopped using all LG TV apps as they are more work than they are worth.

OP
OP

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Just tried it out. I just got an LG TV (nothing fancy, it's 86 inch but one of the NANO models). Honestly runs pretty good to me. I think it even looks a tad sharper than when using Stadia on my CCwGTV. Best thing about this though is now I get to free up an HDMI port since I think I'm fine with using all the apps on the LG TV. I think I'll move my PS5 downstairs.

OP
OP

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
can i plug in my old wwired x360 controller? hmmm
Hmmmmm, definitely worth a shot! You can even use it "wirelessly" using the Stadia app on your phone. The Stadia app has a bridge mode so that any controller you hook up to your phone (whether wired or wireless) can be turned into a WiFi controller to play Stadia. Your phone sends the commands to Google. You can even turn your phone into a controller (touch buttons) to play Stadia on another device.

OP
OP

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Oh snap! Just noticed that 5.1 shows as "ON" now for me. I've never been able to get 5.1 sound to work with my setup when using the CCwGTV.

ratify

Feb 18, 2021
Stadia is cool, I haven't been this wowed from gaming tech in a long time. Only thing that comes close is how amazing it was to have SEGA Channel as a kid.

OP
OP

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
According to google LG sells 7 million TV sets a year. Personal estimation being the broad customer / instal base don't care or will ever download any gaming app.

This and every other gaming app needs to be installed on every tv moving forward or it's a non factor.
Not quite there yet but it does seem Google is starting to include Stadia advertising/branding on certain TVs. Not sure if it comes preinstalled though:

xnaov8k2wq381.jpg

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Great. Now bring Stadia to Brazil, cowards.

If I change my TV's region will I lose any settings or need to login again on any apps I already have?

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Aaaaw BOO!

my C9 is stuck at webOS 4.9

Missed it by that much. Oh well, I still have my Chromecast.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I was down to try Stadia back when I had a Chromecast but I wasn't able to use a controller I already owned at that point.

It sounds like I can use a Ps4 or Switch Pro controller with the LG Stadia app? If so I'll def look into it.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
I have a compatible TV, too bad the service isn't available in Australia. For now, Xcloud is the only option (and it works really well)

OP
OP

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Are there any must play stadia games I can't get on game pass?
Games part of Stadia Pro right now that I think are worth a shot:
Control Ultimate Edition (if you haven't played the DLCs since Gamepass only includes the base version)
Wavetale
The Darkside Detective
Figment
GRIME
Hello Engineer
Journey to the Savage Planet: Employee of the Month Edition
Trails of Cold Steel III and Ys VIII (if you're into JRPGs)
Little Nightmares II
Orcs Must Die! 3
The Falconeer: Warrior Edition
Foreclosed
PixelJunk Raiders

I was down to try Stadia back when I had a Chromecast but I wasn't able to use a controller I already owned at that point.

It sounds like I can use a Ps4 or Switch Pro controller with the LG Stadia app? If so I'll def look into it.
Yep, you can use any controller with it whether it be Bluetooh or wired. If it's wired you can wire it directly to your TV or you can connect it to your phone and use Bridge mode in the Stadia app. What that basically does is it sends the commands to Google through WiFi from your phone effectively turning your wired controller into a WiFi controller.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
tried it out on my c1 and I have to say im really impressed, heck it felt more responsive then using the Chromecast Ultra. Love that I can play both geforce now and stadia right off my tv.

Apr 21, 2018
LG TVs have a better IQ than CCU according to many gamers.

Is there any AI upscal on recent LG TVs ? (like Nvidia Shield TV Pro)

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great, guess I'll get another popup on my TV about it.

No LG, I don't use your Smart TV features and I don't care you have Apple TV and TikTok

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's great on my 77cx

sux that my 65c9 in bedroom can't have it

i hâte lg policies

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
This is cool. I'll try it on my CX tonight when I get home. I'm assuming I can hook up a Dualshock 4 to it, right? I've never tried before.

Also, why the hate on the tv apps? I use Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Disney+ and they all work great. I can also send YouTube videos from my phone to the tv, and they appear natively via that app. It all works pretty well. What are people having issues with?

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My LG 4K TV is from 2018, so I think I am out.
(No intention to be in though)

Apr 21, 2018
And so it begins. Gamepass/Xcloud can't be far behind.
www.gamesradar.com

Xbox is working with TV manufacturers to bring cloud gaming to your screen

The next stop for Xbox Cloud Gaming

Last summer, there were rumours of Xcloud on Samsung TVs but i guess they didn't find an agreement:
www.engadget.com

Samsung is building a cloud gaming platform for its TVs

Samsung has teased work on a cloud gaming platform that would let you play high-end titles on your smart TV.