• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Early adopters of new technologies, particularly consoles, often get short changed because of later improvements, but this seems like straight up paying to beta test a product. I don't know why anyone would pay into this now instead of waiting 6-12 months minimum.

That's probably why they've added the "Founder's Edition" branding - to try and get users in early by adding some kind of prestige to it.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
- The achievements system won't have a UI at launch, but it will still capture achievement so you can see them when a UI is available.
- Only the Founder's Edition Chromecast Ultra will support Stadia on launch day. Existing Chromecasts won't
- Family Sharing is not available at launch. Recommended to just buy a second version of a $60 game on your account for a kid or other family member to play with, and then eventually be able to share it
- Stadia on iOS will arrive eventually
- Apparently, you need your phone to buy games for Stadia, implying that there's no web UI currently
- Stadia Buddy Pass will not be available to Founders at launch
PGzX9ru.gif

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Why are they so hard set on launching without all the features that they originally promised lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why they're rushing this to market. Are they worried about someone else swooping in and stealing the entire market? Microsoft? Do they know something about Valve that we don't? Surely this could've waited another six months.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
When your marketing says Product Launch...
But in reality it's Early Access Beta...

They really should have gotten their marketing message in line with what they are delivering, would have limited a lot of the criticism they are getting.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
- The achievements system won't have a UI at launch, but it will still capture achievement so you can see them when a UI is available.
- Only the Founder's Edition Chromecast Ultra will support Stadia on launch day. Existing Chromecasts won't
- Family Sharing is not available at launch. Recommended to just buy a second version of a $60 game on your account for a kid or other family member to play with, and then eventually be able to share it
- Stadia on iOS will arrive eventually
- Apparently, you need your phone to buy games for Stadia, implying that there's no web UI currently
- Stadia Buddy Pass will not be available to Founders at launch

Z2v57sw.gif

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
None of this stuff was expected at launch.. literally all detailed in FAQs for the most part for months.

And the store page describes what you are buying as "Early access" multiple times.

It's an early access launch of a new product, features will roll out in the coming months... nothing about this is shocking or misleading or terrible.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is quite possibly one of the worst platform launches ever, both in terms of lineup and missing features that were promised.

Oct 25, 2017
Google what the fuck. I mean I get it with Early Access and all but is this something that really needed an Early Access to begin with instead of waiting more years to establishes these functions in Betas while developing those games you wanted to make for this.

diablo900t

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
I'm pretty close to cancelling my preorder. There's no games at launch that I have any remote interest in at this point because I've played them all.

I was more interested in testing out the platform, but there isn't a whole lot of positive or exciting news coming out of the Stadia camp.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty close to cancelling my preorder. There's no games at launch that I have any remote interest in at this point because I've played them all.

I was more interested in testing out the platform, but there isn't a whole lot of positive or exciting news coming out of the Stadia camp.

Same boat, especially since no one can even apparently make it clear what the fuck I can play this on at launch when it comes to playing via Chrome.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of this stuff was expected at launch.. literally all detailed in FAQs for the most part for months.

And the store page describes what you are buying as "Early access" multiple times.

It's an early access launch of a new product, features will roll out in the coming months... nothing about this is shocking or misleading or terrible.
No, it is definitely terrible from a consumer value standpoint. Basically all of the unique touted features of Stadia are not available, and the lineup is incredibly small and dissappointing.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you need your phone to purchase games and there's no iOS app available?

giphy.gif

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that doesn't mean people with an iPhone just get all Stadia games for free.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I know that 'Never fail to fail' is one of google's pillars of innovation but they are sure as fuck trying to hard to fail with Stadia.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
No, it is definitely terrible from a consumer value standpoint. Basically all of the unique touted features of Stadia are not available, and the lineup is incredibly small and dissappointing.
I'm simply saying none of this is really new news; pretty much everything asked about was already known.

If people don't find value, don't buy it. I didn't buy it myself.. but anyone buying an early access product is probably paying attention already and just about everything in the AMA was known.

None of these things were promissed launch features that they suddenly decided to not release.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Counterpoint: A $120 or $180 (if you want to play something other than Destiny) early access beta is, actually, a supremely terrible deal.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is insane. I don't think I've ever seen a launch so botched. No, not even Xbox One or Wii U.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Lol, this is kinda like Bethesda with Fallout 76. Every new piece of information makes it worse. Can't they just wait to implement even the most basic features before launching this?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Counterpoint: A $120 or $180 (if you want to play something other than Destiny) early access beta is, actually, a supremely terrible deal.

You get a Chromecast Ultra and a relatively nice looking USB controller for that price.

Which I personally didn't find worth it; so I didn't buy it. But you aren't paying $130 for 3 months of Destiny.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
OP did an incredible job framing the most "negative" parts of the AMA. Keep in mind this is launching at the end of November to Founders...lol. So yes, Founders will be helping to move this platform along to the entire gaming community at a full scale launch. Anyone thinking that this launch of Stadia was for everyone needs to actually read a book.

On Family Link:

How will family link integrate into stadia? Will you be able to share games with family members in order to play together? Or will I have to buy a separate copy of the game for each child?

ANDREY: Family Link is supported on Day 1 to provide parents the ability to manage their child's experience on Stadia. As a parent you have controls in your Family link app on the phone and the Stadia parental dashboard.
Family Sharing is not supported on day 1, so you'll have to buy games for your child's account. But it's a high priority feature, we're planning to launch early next year.
On Achievements

Will we be able to earn achievements for games retroactively so that we don't have to restart our games to earn the achievements once the achievement patch is added? I'd hate to have completed Red Dead Redemption 2 story but then have to restart it just to unlock achievements.

ANDREY: You will start achieving right away! Because games will be recording your achievements on Stadia on day one! It's just the platform UI for viewing your achievements and achievement notifications will launch shortly after launch. I know, it's something you want. Just imagine the day the UI launches: you'll get a bunch of achievements all at once! MEGA OVER ACHIEVEMENT! :)

Will current Chromecast ultra received the stadia firmware update on the 19th? Or will we need to use the one shipped to us?
ANDREY: On Day 1 you should use the Chromecast Ultra that came in your bundle. It has the latest firmware. We will be updating the existing CC Ultra's over the air soon after launch. So you'll be able to use your Stadia Controller to play on many TVs in your home. BTW, how many Chromecasts do you have?

When will iOS gaming will be supported? Early 2020, Mid 2020, Late 2020?
ANDREY: Oh man, I wish I knew. Truth of the matter is that we want Stadia to run on every screen eventually. Android and iOS and whatnot. We're starting with Pixel this year. Hope to learn a bunch, make it great and start expanding to more devices next year.

Will there be a yearly subscription for Stadia Pro? Possibly with a discount?
ANDREY: We're on the final countdown to launch, so I'm thinking days, hours and minutes at the moment :) But we hear you! We don't have an annual offering yet, but we know it's something a lot of you want, so we're looking into adding it..

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sorry I'm lost... if you need a smartphone app to buy games but there's no iOS app... how do you get any games if they sold you the Founder's Edition and you have iPhone?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
OP did an incredible job framing the most "negative" parts of the AMA. Keep in mind this is launching at the end of November to Founders...lol. So yes, Founders will be helping to move this platform along to the entire gaming community at a full scale launch. Anyone thinking that this launch of Stadia was for everyone needs to actually read a book.

On Family Link:

How will family link integrate into stadia? Will you be able to share games with family members in order to play together? Or will I have to buy a separate copy of the game for each child?

On Achievements

Will we be able to earn achievements for games retroactively so that we don't have to restart our games to earn the achievements once the achievement patch is added? I'd hate to have completed Red Dead Redemption 2 story but then have to restart it just to unlock achievements.

Will current Chromecast ultra received the stadia firmware update on the 19th? Or will we need to use the one shipped to us?

When will iOS gaming will be supported? Early 2020, Mid 2020, Late 2020?

Will there be a yearly subscription for Stadia Pro? Possibly with a discount?
This absolutely does not make the OP info sound wrong or the launch sound better