Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of Fincher. There's behind the scenes footage of Zodiac where Jake Gyllenhaal is about to go insane because of Fincher shooting a simple shot of someone throwing a notebook in a car over and over.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
That's completely false. Spielberg and Villeneuve for example.

I also think it's all in context. I'm sure they've reamed out someone once or twice in their careers. But in an actor's world get yelled at for a repeated bad take is probably par for the course so it's like no biggie. But the stuff Kubrick did, by Hollywood standards he was an asshole. By any other standards downright nutjob

Oct 28, 2017
I remember I was watching some of Rob Ager's analysis videos on The Shining and I normally like his videos even though I feel like he reaches with some of his ideas, but in one of them he puts forth this weird thought that Kubrick being a dick to Shelley Duvall was actually some elaborate performance piece or something. I was just like nah g, I think he was probably just a dick you don't need to rationalize it.

Reaching in a Rob Ager video? That dude is totally full of shit.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Kubrick is my favorite director, he was always a major dick hole

You can still enjoy his art while acknowledging he was a terrible person

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
Reminds me of Fincher. There's behind the scenes footage of Zodiac where Jake Gyllenhaal is about to go insane because of Fincher shooting a simple shot of someone throwing a notebook in a car over and over.

Fincher is the type that does a fucking ridiculous amount of takes. Some directors are like that (though Fincher is widely known for it), others only shoot a couple, others insist on the absolute minimum. Some are fine with actors going off script and others lose their shit if they don't stick to the script. Each has their own thing, but they are trying to make something that is a substantial investment (Whether the budget is tens of thousands or many millions, it's still risky), with a lot of moving parts, and needs to get done in a set amount of time. Usually takes a big personality to pull it off, and big personalities tend to come with big quirks.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, you could've stopped the thread title after the word "asshole" and you'd still be right. Kubrick was not a nice guy.

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
Yeah and he was especially cruel to actress Shelley Duval. I think she said that her experience with the Shining made her want to quit acting. It was known in Hollywood that Kubrick was a narcissistic asshole.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course he was, it's well known. I have been told that was his way to push his actors out of their self-made boundaries.
Once the mental wall is broken with anger or other extreme emotions, the acting is freed.
(I don't know if that was really a searched effect or just a byproduct).

Oct 27, 2017
Lol Kubrick being a huge asshole is not a secret. The female actress used to cry on the set almost every day. Jack Nicholson kinda defended Kubrick saying that Kubrick upsetted her on purpose so that she would look more 'desperate'in the movie.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
He did this to all his actors, not just Shelly Duval. Just read up on Malcom McDowell's time filming A Clockwork Orange.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Dude made amazing movies, I'll forgive him being a bit eccentric and obsessed about his directing.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Impatient... He shot it for fifty weeks.

This is a very tough thing. Like during The Exorcist, that director literally assaulted his cast, and like shot guns off on set and stuff. To what degree do we think it's acceptable to upset actors? A director's job is to drive the actor to their greatest performance. Obviously they shouldn't be physically assaulting people, but being a dick? Seems fair game to me.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
It's method directing. You can't get good performances unless your actors are losing hair from stress.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was a known perfectionist asshole. Oldest thing i remember reading about it was that Scatman Crothers almost punched him on The Shining set for filming the same walking scene over a hundred times. There's a lot of stuff with Shelley Duvall and Nicole Kidman that was pretty much abuse.
in the making of for the shining, scatman is seen near tears because of how kindly kubrick treated him ... people are complex creatures, kubrick was demanding as a director but all evidence points to him being a very kind human being outside directing. he paused filming during full metal jacket because one of the trees they brought in for foliage crushed a rabbit hole killing some.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Check out what the cast of the Abyss thinks of James Cameron sometime. Ed Harris almost drowned on set and had a mental breakdown driving home from the set that day. The female lead hated Cameron's fucking guts and vowed to never work with him again.

Oct 27, 2017
You would be an asshole too if you had to carry the secret that you just filmed the fake moon landing footage and fooled the whole planet. Just kidding.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
impatient? kubrick would surely spend an entire month on a single shot if he could

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
He was difficult to work with but I am not sure people should be calling him a terrible person. I can't recall any actors saying they outright hated him and most had complex feelings about working with him. I mean the composer Wendy Carlos is pretty open in her life about people she doesn't like and gave praise to him while admitting it was frustrating at times to work with him because they are both perfectionists and she always wanted different takes then the ones Stanley wanted to use in his films.

He had a very exhausting personality but does not necessarily mean he was mean spirited, Spielberg was a friend of his and said he had phone calls with him about various things but Stanley wanted to keep talking hours on end.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Oh if you really want to criticise him, my biggest objection with him is that he hid his money off shore to avoid paying tax.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Jan 18, 2018
Well obviously... Allen had to get home to read his partner's bedtime stories and make sure they did their home work. Funny and amazing writer but fucked in the brain.
Truu

in the making of for the shining, scatman is seen near tears because of how kindly kubrick treated him ... people are complex creatures, kubrick was demanding as a director but all evidence points to him being a very kind human being outside directing. he paused filming during full metal jacket because one of the trees they brought in for foliage crushed a rabbit hole killing some.

You can be a dickhead and like animals.

But in a Whiplash kind of way, would he be as good and as much of a genius if he wasn't an asshole?
Shit, he'd be more of a genius if he could bring about his vision without hurting others in the process.

Oct 25, 2018
Check out what the cast of the Abyss thinks of James Cameron sometime. Ed Harris almost drowned on set and had a mental breakdown driving home from the set that day. The female lead hated Cameron's fucking guts and vowed to never work with him again.

Didn't Harris actually punch in the Cameron in the face after the near-drowning incident?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just another in a long line of great male directors that got away with all kinds of shit because they were heralded as geniuses. Kubrick, Hitchcock, Jodorowsky... the line goes on and on...

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Fincher is the type that does a fucking ridiculous amount of takes. Some directors are like that (though Fincher is widely known for it), others only shoot a couple, others insist on the absolute minimum. Some are fine with actors going off script and others lose their shit if they don't stick to the script. Each has their own thing, but they are trying to make something that is a substantial investment (Whether the budget is tens of thousands or many millions, it's still risky), with a lot of moving parts, and needs to get done in a set amount of time. Usually takes a big personality to pull it off, and big personalities tend to come with big quirks.

Yes, Fincher has explained that he's often looking for something in particular. For example, in The Social Network where Zuckerberg is throwing down his bookbag after entering his dorm and opening his fridge, he wants it to look like he's done this a hundred times; that there isn't any thought behind it. But, it's one thing to demand a hundred or so takes, it's another to be an asshole on top. I don't know if Fincher is also an asshole.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

I'd you watched the doc Cameron put himself the same shit. It was an awful, demanding shoot.

Other actors have worked with him multiple times.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
There was a book that came out a few years after he died by the screenwriter of EWS, and it was a very interesting take on his personality. From this guy's anecdotes, Kubrick came off as not only an enormous prick, but kind of an intellectual fraud compared to the image he maintained about himself. The book did read like fan fiction a lot of the time, but I chose to believe the gist of it. You might take a lot of this as Kubrick just not wasting any of his intellect or energy on this guy as they worked together, but the stories were really sad to read.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Unless you're purposefully trying to drain actors of all their "acting" for a raw performance, Ive always thought directors who took that many shots just didn't know what they wanted.

Like Lord n Miller in Solo throwing everything against the wall to see what stuck, and Ron Howard coming in and going "you stand there, I want the camera there, and this scene needs to accomplish this" and doing it in two takes.