Jun 1, 2018
A post on the Star Citizen subreddit has been growing in traction in recent days, putting into perspective an abject lack of substantial progress reports on Squadron 42's development. The post points to a promise written in March 2020's Roadmap Roundup to share more SQ42content in its AMAs, Calling All Devs, and in sprint reports in Inside Star Citizen — all of which were not ultimately kept save for a look at gas clouds and real-time talking heads in May.

The vast majority of the replies read with varying levels of exasperation at CIG's dragging feet and wondering just what is going on with the project. One of the replies seems to sum up part of the problem rather succinctly:

"What is going on is that we constantly signaling that we're okay with how things are. We have a record breaking month in funding every other month. People don't stop buying new ships. No reason for CIG to change anything. They can say and do whatever they want and people keep throwing money at them. I don't think anything will change unless we have some noticeable decline in funding at least for some time period."

This has been going on way too long. First, people blamed it on the Crytek lawsuit, then they blamed it on COVID-19 even though CIG said working from home is going well. Yet since 2017 we have seen NO gameplay whatsoever. The latest monthly report talks about prototyping "BLONDE HAIR TECH" - Im serious. 8 years into development they havent even figured out the hair tech for the game.

CIG promised more updates, then went radio silent. They announced huge video about SQ42 in May. Guess what? It never came out and they dont give any update whatsoever.

Over the weekend, fans are calling CIG out for being radio silent:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/hx1s6v/4_months_ago_cig_promised_more_regular_updates/ - even the mods pinned it.

On their weekly roadmap "roundup", people are getting more and more frustrated with CIG saying they are being transparent about the development while actually not showing any meaningful progress about SQ42:

robertsspaceindustries.com

Spectrum - v6.22.1

RSI’s Spectrum is our integrated community and player interaction service, including chat, forums, game integration, and Player Organization facilities. Player Organizations (“Org”...

Remember when you promised to be more transparent about Squadron 42 four months ago? BTW how is that beta going (according to the roadmap which hasnt been updated since 2019)

I feel betrayed as a longtime fan.

And we all know Crusader will get delayed just right before its supposed to be released next year.
We dont need another shiny new planet. We need gameplay loops, salvaging ,data running and especially MULTICREW GAMEPLAY. Otherwise everybody will just continue to solo an 890 Jump and deliver cargo boxes with it.

What happened today?
Good news! A new ship, the Esperia Talon, has been leaked. What convenient timing! Delays, communication problems, what're you talking about? Look at this shiny new ship over here. Who cares about gameplay loops am I right? Lets not start about SC which is still missing lots of gameplay features.

Yet they have a record funding year, crossing over 300 million. Chris Roberts is NOWHERE to be seen, he appeared in a video in March which was apparently filmed last year. They removed him from the YouTube End Cards (he thanked backers, but is now gone completely).

650+ employees and Squadron 42 is nowhere to be seen or even close so be finished I think.
Usually, CR wrote a letter thanking the fans for crossing big milestones in the past, but CIG choose to IGNORE crossing the 300 million mark because they knew it would generate negative reception.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
To sum up the thread in advance:

Star Citizen "haters":
Wow, this game is a massive scam. Selling ships without finishing their game. Someone should look into some kind of lawsuit!

Star Citizen stans:
You don't know what you're talking about! There's tons of communication and they've been building a game from scratch! There's never been anything like this! You just have this irrational hatred for the game and Chris Roberts.

The people who are interested but not too invested: Glad I only pitched in $40-$60. Kinda sucks that it's not out but no real skin off my back.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This is one of the most insane video game development cycles of all time. I'm glad people are finally asking questions but who are the people buying ships and dlc for a game they can't play??

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Seems a bit late now. As that quoted reply points out: the fanbase has made their bed and now they have to sleep in it.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
I'm sorry, but release the damn game.

How much more time and money do you possibly need?

Either this is some sort of scheme or manic perfectionism gone wrong...

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
c8e.gif

It's a scam, or possibly a scamola.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
You know your life choices went wrong when Derek Smart can clown on you regarding development of a space sim.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I thought this was supposed to release earlier this year, but I'm not having much luck with google right now tracking that down. Did Squadron 42 have a stated release date, or has it always been "when it's done" or similar?

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is a ponzi scheme ya'll.

It's clearly not. I'm not saying it's not questionable but a ponzi scheme is a specific thing and one of its defining elements is early investors getting paid with income from newer investors. None of the "early investors" here are getting paid anything so its clearly not a ponzi scheme.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I cannot believe people still give money to this. I remember reading back in 2015 how much of a scam it all was.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
650 employees at CIG? That's just insane. Nevermind 300 mill. I guess they got their fanbase roped in for years to come.

It's funny to me how they keep dumping money into this project. Or sad. I played one of the free weekends or whatever and what I experienced was a barely functioning tech demo. This stuff convinces people to keep giving CIG even more money?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Seems a bit late now. As that quoted reply points out: the fanbase has made their bed and now they have to sleep in it.
Quite a lot of people pledged in the Kickstarter for (what was at the time) a single player modern take on Wing Commander, with a bonus multiplayer mode. Those people didn't "make their bed"...

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
It's clearly not. I'm not saying it's not questionable but a ponzi scheme is a specific thing and one of its defining elements is early investors getting paid with income from newer investors. None of the "early investors" here are getting paid anything so its clearly not a ponzi scheme.

"It's not a ponzi scheme, it's worse!" You're right though, but it's just sad.

Dec 26, 2019
I still don't understand how a) people keep giving them money and b) the community hasn't turned completely sour on them yet. I won't say it's a scam, because they delivered something, but it's def. not what $300+ million AAA budget should produce.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Star Citizen "haters": Wow, this game is a massive scam. Selling ships without finishing their game. Someone should look into some kind of lawsuit!

Star Citizen stans: You don't know what you're talking about! There's tons of communication and they've been building a game from scratch! There's never been anything like this! You just have this irrational hatred for the game and Chris Roberts.

The people who are interested but not too invested: Glad I only pitched in $40-$60. Kinda sucks that it's not out but no real skin off my back.

Hilarious.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as someone with no skin in the game, i genuinely do not know which would provide more entertainment at this point: if they managed to release a great game or if the whole thing was a scam.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
god, I can't wait for a NoClip doc or something about this game, whether it's a success or failure

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is that bit about Chris Roberts not appearing in videos since last year true?

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
It is not at all uncommon for the early investors in Ponzi schemes to end up losing everything and never actually getting paid, or never getting paid in full. Most local papers feature situations like that pretty regularly.

Also, the early star citizen backers are getting paid. It's just in BS digital items instead of cash, but that doesn't really change the structure. That's why so many of the early backers are so active in promoting and defending the game- they're counting on new people to keep the money flowing so they see a return on their investment (ie. a finished game where all their digital goods are usable).

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Quite a lot of people pledged in the Kickstarter for (what was at the time) a single player modern take on Wing Commander, with a bonus multiplayer mode. Those people didn't "make their bed"...
Refunds were able to be gotten up through 2017. If someone didn't request one by then I don't really feel sorry for them.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019

Star Citizen "haters": Wow, this game is a massive scam. Selling ships without finishing their game. Someone should look into some kind of lawsuit!

Star Citizen stans: You don't know what you're talking about! There's tons of communication and they've been building a game from scratch! There's never been anything like this! You just have this irrational hatred for the game and Chris Roberts.

You forgot - oh wait no I'm right there.

Oct 25, 2017
$300 million and no single player campaign as yet jeeeeez. Still when they do release it it's gonna be good isn't it.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Refunds were able to be gotten up through 2017. If someone didn't request one by then I don't really feel sorry for them.
They don't want refunds, they want the game. That's why they pledged for it. When the company split off Squadron 42 from the MMO, the hope was that would really speed up Squadron 42's release, it would no longer be tied to the MMO which requires quite a lot more work. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, can you blame them? You dudes guys are just making it rain on them 24/7, why would they wanna focus on making the game when they can just not do that and still make as much money?

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I get being excited over the prospect of what seems to be a great idea for a game but sheesh that's a lot of money!

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Yup, it's a cool game, I've had enough fun with the game as is that I don't regret purchasing it. Not confident it'll be out of this early access state anytime soon however.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Star Citizen will become a simulation, not a game.
It will simulate the entire universe, in full detail. Big bang, the creation of earth, evolution of animals and plants, everything up till the point where the game called Star Citizen is about to be made. At that point the simulation will crash, cause not even there can this game be completed.

Nov 13, 2017
I thought we were talking about that black and white side-scroller for a minute. Isn't it called like, Squadron 41? Where is that?

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I always wonder how well the devs are being compensated for this thing. It'd be really fucked up if both the devs and backers were getting shafted on this.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Oh yeah isn't this the one with Gary Oldman, Gillian Anderson, Mark Hamill that they filmed years ago

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I always forget about this game until threads like these pop up. That's an absurd amount of money

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Around the same time Star Citizen was announced in fall 2012, i was thinking of going back to school. The year after, I entered university in an update program because I had to do the Quebec's cégep equivalence (had only high school education before) and managed to do all the equivalents to then study in electrical engineering while having a part time job in one of the toughest engineering school in Canada. Finished school and I have been working since 2 years. And Star Citizen is still not even close to release

W
T
F

Oct 25, 2017
You know your life choices went wrong when Derek Smart can clown on you regarding development of a space sim.
I had to look up the name since I am not familiar and oof
In 2015, during the height of the Gamergate controversy, Smart appeared on a Society of Professional Journalists live broadcast panel[11] alongside Milo Yiannopoulos, then-editor of Breitbart News, Christina Sommers of American Enterprise Institute, Lynn Walsh of the Society of Professional Journalists, Asche Schow of the Washington Examiner, and others. In that panel, he decried the actions of media who were branding Gamergate members as a hate group.