Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I really hope they can get it out someday. I've been playing Elite Dangerous casually over the past few months, but it's easy to see the limitations of the game. If SC delivered on its ambition it would be a dream come true.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I don't know why people are mad. Their monthly update about how they've almost nailed down blonde hair for sq 42 always fills me with confidence.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Star Citizen will become a simulation, not a game.
It will simulate the entire universe, in full detail. Big bang, the creation of earth, evolution of animals and plants, everything up till the point where the game called Star Citizen is about to be made. At that point the simulation will crash, cause not even there can this game be completed.
Marry me

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I kinda feel bad for people who backed this game, but at the same, I kinda don't.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I still remember when Chris Roberts announced all chapters and gameplay of the SQ42 campaign were "grey box or better" and getting a final polish.

www.tomshardware.com

'Squadron 42' Nearly Finished, But Not Ready For Release In 2016

Surprise, surprise. It looks like 2016 won't be the year when we'll see a finished version of Cloud Imperium Games' "Squadron 42."

That was 4 years ago.

Is that bit about Chris Roberts not appearing in videos since last year true?

I'd put that down to Corona lockdown rather than anything nefarious.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
I absolutely love the idea of Star Citizen and Squadron 42 but the amount of communication is absurd.

At this point if Hello Games released an update giving ships stats and player cities I'd just be happy with No Man's Sky forever

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Whats gonna come out first, Star Citizen or Winds of Winter?

I'm not gonna out and out call this a scam or a pyramid scheme.

But the backers do have a right to know.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I absolutely love the idea of Star Citizen and Squadron 42 but the amount of communication is absurd.

At this point if Hello Games released an update giving ships stats and player cities I'd just be happy with No Man's Sky forever

I honestly just want better planet generation at this point. And cities. But I recognize that cities is herculean and not at all realistic.

Oct 26, 2017
My only guess is they got spooked by the Star Wars Maverick leaks that were bubbling up since March and are doing a repeat of the 2016 demo vanishing act that coincided with Infinite Warfare launching. I'm probably wrong though.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The real life story of whatever happens to Star Citizen will be better than whatever Star Squadron's campaign is, no matter how many famous celebrities it has.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Where exactly did all the money for this game come from? Is it the same people donating over an dove? Are corporations donating?

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
It's not a 'scam' in the sense of being a scheme to defraud people, Chris Roberts does (or did) want to make a game. The problem seems to be a lack of project management. perhaps an external manager should be brought in. The clips I've seen make it look so beautiful and ambitious in scope that I hope the promised product can be delivered. But if Squadron 42 won't likely drop before 2022, and this is a single player game, what realistic hope is there for the full MMO game?

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
As a freelancer owner, I honestly don't expect this game to ever be finished (with all their over promises) and SQ42 will most likely be shit when/if it's finally finished. Makes me sad honestly.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
It's not a 'scam' in the sense of being a scheme to defraud people, Chris Roberts does (or did) want to make a game. The problem seems to be a lack of project management. perhaps an external manager should be brought in. The clips I've seen make it look so beautiful and ambitious in scope that I hope the promised product can be delivered. But if Squadron 42 won't likely drop before 2022, and this is a single player game, what realistic hope is there for the full MMO game?

I donno. Could still be a scam in certain ways. I worked at 38 studios during the time it went down and only afterwards did we learn there were people up top skimming fucking money away. I wouldn't be surprised whatsoever if that was happening here on a pretty large scale. Certainly looking forward to the documentary, which, at this point, will probably come out before the game as well. I dropped $40 into the kickstarter and I really wish I could get that money back. I don't want any of the shit they keep piling on. I just wanted what was presented in the KS pitch. And the delivery date of years ago lol

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah as a backer whose sole interest was in SQ42 and not Star Citizen I would certainly love to get an honest update on where the hell it is. Delays to SC and how complex online stuff is I can sorta, kinda, maybe understand if I don't think too hard, but SQ42 should have been out years ago.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I donno. Could still be a scam in certain ways. I worked at 38 studios during the time it went down and only afterwards did we learn there were people up top skimming fucking money away. I wouldn't be surprised whatsoever if that was happening here on a pretty large scale. Certainly looking forward to the documentary, which, at this point, will probably come out before the game as well. I dropped $40 into the kickstarter and I really wish I could get that money back. I don't want any of the shit they keep piling on. I just wanted what was presented in the KS pitch. And the delivery date of years ago lol

I feel that. At this point I've just accepted that I'm probably never going to get the game I bought in for.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Star Citizen will become a simulation, not a game.
It will simulate the entire universe, in full detail. Big bang, the creation of earth, evolution of animals and plants, everything up till the point where the game called Star Citizen is about to be made. At that point the simulation will crash, cause not even there can this game be completed.
Tag/promote/make a ceremonial coin for this man, please

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully, I only went in on the KS for the basic 30 USD amount. I got the silly citizen card in the mail way back when, and I've stayed vaguely aware of the game's status. I've seen some CitizenCon videos, etc. A lot of stuff looks super promising, but after all of the early strife and then subsequent moments like this, it's kind of hard to believe this ever really becomes a thing in the way it was always meant to be.

I, too, would've been happy with the SQ42 stuff plus some basic MMO shard stuff. It's hard to not just kind of go: "Well, I'll wait till it's all out... or until the documentary comes out and shows what a giant boondoggle/scam/sham this was."

It's sort of fascinating, in a morbid sort of way.

stump sock

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's not still bannable to call this thing a scam because I don't know what else you call $300,000,000, 8 years and "we haven't figured out how hair works yet"

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'd put that down to Corona lockdown rather than anything nefarious.

I find it hard to believe Chris Roberts doesn't have access to a webcam. If late night hosts like Conan can put some low budget format together of him and celebs in their pjs at their homes talking over whatever app I think Roberts can manage an appearance or two using similar methods.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I find it hard to believe Chris Roberts doesn't have access to a webcam. If late night hosts like Conan can put some low budget format together of him and celebs in their pjs at their homes talking over whatever app I think Roberts can manage an appearance or two using similar methods.

I'm sure he could but maybe he wants to hold off until they can get back to doing the slicker productions. Maybe he thinks the engineers are better suited to doing those types of streaming broadcasts. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If Star Citizen worked as intended (even in the future), it'd be like one of my favourite games ever. Just going off the premise.

But as it is, I haven't played any of it and have only watched videos. I've waited 8 years so I can go longer.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Whats gonna come out first, Star Citizen or Winds of Winter?
Noah-Second-Coming.jpg

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Geez louise... 8 years already? Their development time is pretty much gonna be longer than the current gen cycle. I sincerely hope the players who backed the game will get what they need in the end. Must've been hard waiting for it for so long.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they can get it out someday. I've been playing Elite Dangerous casually over the past few months, but it's easy to see the limitations of the game. If SC delivered on its ambition it would be a dream come true.
To be fair ED was also made off of a 2 million kickstarter.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I paid $30 8 years ago for Star Citizen, Squadron 42 was just some extra thing in my mind.
Already got my money's worth in gameplay (playing Star Citizen) and excited for future updates

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
For that amount of money they could have funded and completed and shipped multiple full AAA titles. It could have been an entire series with iteration by now. It's absolutely baffling that anyone would defend them. No one's gotten anything worth anything out of it.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
To sum up the thread in advance:

Star Citizen "haters": Wow, this game is a massive scam. Selling ships without finishing their game. Someone should look into some kind of lawsuit!

Star Citizen stans: You don't know what you're talking about! There's tons of communication and they've been building a game from scratch! There's never been anything like this! You just have this irrational hatred for the game and Chris Roberts.

The people who are interested but not too invested: Glad I only pitched in $40-$60. Kinda sucks that it's not out but no real skin off my back.

What if you'd be happy if they actually came out with it cause it sounds cool but haven't invested any money but do think it's most likely a scam and it is scummy how much they are charging for ships for a game that is still not even in beta

JChung55

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Star Citizen "haters": Wow, this game is a massive scam. Selling ships without finishing their game. Someone should look into some kind of lawsuit!

Star Citizen stans: You don't know what you're talking about! There's tons of communication and they've been building a game from scratch! There's never been anything like this! You just have this irrational hatred for the game and Chris Roberts.

The people who are interested but not too invested: Glad I only pitched in $40-$60. Kinda sucks that it's not out but no real skin off my back.
Spot on, bravo.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I'm sure they are still selling ships for silly money $3000+! I enjoyed what I played but it's becoming a bit of a joke at this point.
It makes no sense even if they release a good game. Why the fuck are they letting people buy these stupid ass expensive ships? Isn't the whole point of the game (the mmo part) to start small and earn your way in the galaxy? It's so fucking dumb. It's one thing to contribute to the development of the game and to buy a starter ship but they are selling end games ships. Ships that they put a ton of resources and development time into. It's a disaster from the top down.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
It makes no sense even if they release a good game. Why the fuck are they letting people buy these stupid ass expensive ships? Isn't the whole point of the game (the mmo part) to start small and earn your way in the galaxy? It's so fucking dumb. It's one thing to contribute to the development of the game and to buy a starter ship but they are selling end games ships. Ships that they put a ton of resources and development time into. It's a disaster from the top down.

probably my biggest issue with this whole thing is how comfortable they are making ships solely to sell to whales. Like, I get it, it's working, but holy fuck if that isn't morally dubious

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017

Are you a wizard?

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
probably my biggest issue with this whole thing is how comfortable they are making ships solely to sell to whales. Like, I get it, it's working, but holy fuck if that isn't morally dubious

Is a 600 employee independent developer with no other source of revenue that selling virtual ships to whales. Morally dubious but there's no other way for the company to stay afloat.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
It's pretty disgusting, though I stopped caring about anything to do with Star Citizen about a year after I was part of the initial crowd-funding initiative.

Who keeps buying these new ships? Do they buy them with the intent to actually use them? Because the chances of it really happening look less every day.

amc

Nov 2, 2017
United Kingdom
It's simple. Stop funding the fraudsters. Roberts twigged the longer he could drag this BS on the more money he could grab. Call his bluff (yeah no chance, so deep, so blind, pretty sad) and see if he/they motivate to launch a game or cut and run.

They'll cut and run. That's the end game.