Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn this game looks amazing. I know there's plenty of negativity for it on this forum, but I think it's turning out quite impressively. I haven't donated anything or backed it, but I'm definitely interested in the finished product.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
The next week is the anniversary sales, a bunch of mill more, when the people realized how the game improved in the last years they are gonna accept the fact that the game in alpha is close to a state of "real game" and all the haters are gonna disappear slowly.

Capture in-game of patch 3.3.5, gorgeus 200 m of good development money.
oj7z1q1xacy11.jpg

mHNgWv1.jpg
kwerkiqdvzx11.jpg

viv1fgwza6y11.jpg

No bullshot, all ingame, ofc the game need 2-3 more years of development but right now all the planet tech, the gameplay basics or the brutal details of the game is coming in a good speed with the 3 months patch.

Dithering ruins a couple of those but holy shit it's pretty.

Last edited:

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn this game looks amazing. I know there's plenty of negativity for it on this forum, but I think it's turning out quite impressively. I haven't donated anything or backed it, but I'm definitely interested in the finished product.
They're going to be having a free fly 3 day weekend Starting from the 23rd of this month, where each day you'll be able to fly the ships from each in-universe manufacturer.

All you'll need is to make an account, and download the luncher.

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018

That is about half the amount that Donald Trump has spent playing golf so far in his first two years.

He will reach the Star Citizen threshold by the end of his four years, folks, no worries! He can do it!!!

The next week is the anniversary sales, a bunch of mill more, when the people realized how the game improved in the last years they are gonna accept the fact that the game in alpha is close to a state of "real game" and all the haters are gonna disappear slowly.

Capture in-game of patch 3.3.5, gorgeus 200 m of good development money.
oj7z1q1xacy11.jpg

mHNgWv1.jpg
kwerkiqdvzx11.jpg

viv1fgwza6y11.jpg

No bullshot, all ingame, ofc the game need 2-3 more years of development but right now all the planet tech, the gameplay basics or the brutal details of the game is coming in a good speed with the 3 months patch.

I'm not going to lie, that looks pretty amazing...

Oct 25, 2017
I kickstarted the game back then and I'm ready for it whenever it comes out.
People say you can "play it for free" next week but what can you actually do? Last time I tried playing it was years ago, is there some overview of stuff you can do in the game by now?
I have no idea if it's worth playing or if I should just wait until it's out

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017

That isn't dithering. It is the watermark for PTU. They haven't turned that off despite the wide access.

People say you can "play it for free" next week but what can you actually do? Last time I tried playing it was years ago, is there some overview of stuff you can do in the game by now?

Roughly this

the persistent universe with
- a few moons with outposts
- space stations
- Hurston (first planet)
- 24 mission variants (i think)
- many, many ships
- ingame weapon, clothing and ship dealers
- ai pirates and dogfight
- first person combat
- mining
- star marine mode
- free flight

and more

There are also scramble races. Whether or not it is worth playing, is all up to you. You can also watch streamers play missions if you do not feel like downloading.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
It's a watermark from the PTU (test servers) used by CIG to identify leakers from Evocati (NDA bound first wave testers). Technically it has no use once the PTU build is opened beyond just the Evocati, but it's left in anyhow.

This has already been answered in the thread. If the last time you played was years ago, then the game has massively changed. It's still lacking core gameplay loops that'd keep you coming back every day for weeks on end unless you're a die hard combat guy or own a Prospector and are addicted to mining, but there's enough to do to last the week free fly event at any rate.

Edit: Damnit Static. I knew I should have refreshed before hitting post lol

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
That isn't dithering. It is the watermark for PTU. They haven't turned that off despite the wide access.

It's a watermark from the PTU (test servers) used by CIG to identify leakers from Evocati (NDA bound first wave testers). Technically it has no use once the PTU build is opened beyond just the Evocati, but it's left in anyhow.

Gotcha, thought it looked odd but dithering does lol
Quite remarkable visuals wise.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
This is still absolutely mind blowing to me. I can't wait for the final finished game to release and hope the gameplay will live up to the already impressive visuals and lofty ideas.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Looks incredible, the planet tech has come along really nicely.

Is 3.3.5 available right now? I can only see 3.3.0 on my download page.

ed: ah nvm.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Look at this.

Getting some serious Mass Effect vibes.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Looks incredible, the planet tech has come along really nicely.

Is 3.3.5 available right now? I can only see 3.3.0 on my download page.

ed: ah nvm.
For those that haven't figured it out, 3.3.5 (Hurston/Lorville) is a PTU build which requires going to your account page and copying to the PTU, then downloading the PTU launcher, using the emailed PTU login info to log into the launcher, and then finally downloading the PTU build itself. That said, it's not open to all backers yet AFAIK, just the first 4 waves. If the "Public Test Universe" option is greyed out in your account settings page, you don't have access.

Open PTU should be soon, and Live soon after that since they need it for the sale and free fly event. Given the rapid cadence of these events, I wouldn't recommend going through the PTU song and dance at this point unless you've got a burning desire to see Hurston/Lorville now. It'll be live within a week, and the PTU build still has some rather annoying bugs that'll hopefully be squashed before that.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
3.3.5 expanded to wave 1-4 last night, so check your account to see if the PTU button happens to be lit up.
If it is, you have access!

For those that haven't figured it out, 3.3.5 (Hurston/Lorville) is a PTU build which requires going to your account page and copying to the PTU, then downloading the PTU launcher, using the emailed PTU login info to log into the launcher, and then finally downloading the PTU build itself. That said, it's not open to all backers yet AFAIK, just the first 4 waves. If the "Public Test Universe" option is greyed out in your account settings page, you don't have access.

Open PTU should be soon, and Live soon after that since they need it for the sale and free fly event. Given the rapid cadence of these events, I wouldn't recommend going through the PTU song and dance at this point unless you've got a burning desire to see Hurston/Lorville now. It'll be live within a week, and the PTU build still has some rather annoying bugs that'll hopefully be squashed before that.

Ah thanks for the tip, makes sense now. Mine is still greyed out at the moment.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Gonna quote a post from a different forum.

My opinion is that with infinite money and infinite time they can build a whole game successfully based off of occasional lightning strike successes in their development.

However my opinion is also that the game is already a failure and can not be reversed. Yes, something great may still eventually come out, however there is nobody who has ever had to go to war over a roadmap and priorities that will claim any of this is even remotely successful.

It's an enormous failure.
smile.gif

The only major difference between this failure and most failures is that the people leading this are using it to milk money for development, rather than anticipate a cash out for sales.

This is an important fact that is talked about, but hast come up in a while, so let me rehash.
smile.gif

The people making Star Citizen have now raked in over $200M for a bunch of pretty art assets and promises, on a platform that is effectively a hacked up CryEngine mod. It's a fantastic mod, but it's busting at the seams.

This is important because it means development is super slow, super buggy, and a lot of things will not run very good. As we are experiencing currently. This isn't like this is a brand new event in software development. Everybody in development has, at some point, had to struggle with "the beast", which is that massive, super critical piece of software so ingrained in everything and so patchwork that extending it and adding functionality is a stress inducing nightmare. Launching a patch has people sitting there sweating and waiting for problem calls or emails to start rolling in, and somebody already has the command to roll the last merge back already typed into the console.

However it has taken decades of programmers to get to this point as well, across many people who aren't even at the company anymore. Questions can't be answered, and everything needs to be figured out.

This mess is Star Citizen now. It's an 8-year long project of super under-skilled programmers. The codebase is fucked up because the people leading it have no idea what modern software development means and how to approach things.

So back to the original point, about being paid to develop the game...
smile.gif

All of this is super critical to understand, and then you will understand why development is slow, graphics are a too priority, and even getting a new ship into the game is a monumental effort; on top of the fact that the game is still not a functional MMO and that development hasn't even begun yet (and at this point probably never will happen).

So with all that understanding, the easiest thing for people to do is to increase the graphic abilities for things they can get working. Turn the dials up to 11, and hope to god nobody notices that when the super pretty forests and cities show up, nobody realizes that there is no game behind it. It's just stuff and fluff; but it's somewhat cool stuff though!

And before I totally lose you, were going to circle back to the original concept of the massive text block: Star Citizen is doing all these things because working on the game itself is where the money comes from.

Duh, right?

Well here's the catch: actually finishing the development of the game is destructive.
smile.gif

If Star Citizen was done tomorrow, and had to rely on new sales, it would quickly dry up. Everybody loves to support it today because they see what it's trying to be, rather than what it is.

And this is a super powerful tool CIG has. That's why it's so hugely important for them to cultivate a social aspect of "them vs us" and immediately destroy any critical thought and negativity on their own groups. The hardcore inner circle people and their controlled forums are the bread and butter. Even Reddit is just an outlier of it all. Keep those people walled in, and develop indefinitely.
smile.gif

So, Star Citizen is always going to be in production, and even CR himself has said this; because it being made is where the money comes from. If it were to actually release it would die. As soon as reviewers can safely review it, it will get smoked. It will be a "very pretty but massively flawed and disappointing experience 1/10". CIG knows this, as they never want to lose the alpha/beta/always in production shield that nets them.

This is why you're moving into 7-8 years of development and you have a hideously pretty, but massively buggy and disappointing experience. The vision of what it may some day become keeps people spending money. The pretty art makes it look like it's legitimate.

So to round it all up!!!

CIG makes money by making a game.

Other companies make money by releasing a game for sale.

CIG has zero motivation to be like other companies when the state of their game is atrocious.

CIG must continue to make progress, and it must look pretty, but it can never be too much progress because they lack the talent.

In most, if not all software development systems, Star Citizen would have been shut down three years ago. As soon as the CEO missed their deadlines, and then went on to not have deadlines, it would have been killed.

If somehow it did manage to make it, it would have been shut down when the CEO bravely absolved himself of all responsibility for everything he said and promised.

What Star Citizen actually is, is the experimental husk of a project that should have been killed but wasn't. It is firing on that whole "what if... it wasn't cancelled?!" concept, and everybody gets to see it happen!

Could it be good: sure!

Could it be great: Absolutely!

Is it a failure: Fucking most assuredly. Nothing can stop it from already having failed. It failed many years ago, and that is unrecoverable. Sorry.
frown.gif

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Hope everyone that is on the sidelines join us on the free-fly. Being able to walk around and fly in a huge ship can change anyone's mind about the game. Also, once they get the persistence to actually stick, having your character live in the ship.

kueijin

Aug 31, 2018
Gonna quote a post from a different forum.

And having just played a bit of 3.3.5, they have talented people. They did poach the best people from crytec :P which crytec is still crying about. No need to quote someone else who knows nothing about star citizen or software development for that matter, just articulate your thoughts by playing 3.35!

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PTU should be open to all backers now if anyone wanted to check out 3.3.5.

Necrocorpse

Nov 17, 2018
London, UK
It's now time to try the game finally as it's free for a while. However I've been on the fence about becoming a cultist for a while already. Unless I'm mistaken it is starting to resemble a playable game now which is something I am excited about actually. While Elite Dangerous is complete it's a mile wide and an inch deep (I have couple of hundred hours on that and would like to play more but I'm out of inspiration).

Status
Not open for further replies.