• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rivi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tell me haters how is it pay to win when you can own the biggest ship in the game and you can't even come down to the surface of a planet while I'm walking around with an assault rifle killing ai and players earning money. Tell me how are they winning when I'm still getting money and they can't touch me on the ground. I'll wait..

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Tell me haters how is it pay to win when you can own the biggest ship in the game and you can't even come down to the surface of a planet while I'm walking around with an assault rifle killing ai and players earning money. Tell me how are they winning when I'm still getting money and they can't touch me on the ground. I'll wait..
This has to be sarcasm

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Chris Roberts was highly respected as a developer.

Is he as bad as Derek Smart?

You madman. What have you done?

Have fun getting off planet.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arn't Derek Smart's games ambitious

who has a better resume between Derek and Chris?

Definitely Chris Roberts. I don't think Derek Smart actually ever made a good game.

But bringing Smart comparisons to a Star Citizen thread is just inviting hell on earth. The hate is strong.

And since apparently Derek Smart has the entire internet on alert for mentions of him, i guess we're both on his list now. Welp.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Arn't Derek Smart's games ambitious

who has a better resume between Derek and Chris?

Chris has an infinitely better resume, but he also came up at Origin, where he had much better guidance, and he had publishers to hold him accountable (and when they eventually couldn't, showed him the door).

Modern day Roberts is also infinitely more comparable to Derek Smart though, because with SC you're seeing him untethered from deadlines and milestones and what has basically amounted to his Battlecruiser.

I imagine if Derek Smart had access to crowd funding among extremely enthusiast niche audiences back then, the similarities would be even more apparent.

CattleCalypto

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Chris has an infinitely better resume, but he also came up at Origin, where he had much better guidance, and he had publishers to hold him accountable (and when they eventually couldn't, showed him the door).

Modern day Roberts is also infinitely more comparable to Derek Smart though, because with SC you're seeing him untethered from deadlines and milestones and what has basically amounted to his Battlecruiser.

I imagine if Derek Smart had access to crowd funding among extremely enthusiast niche audiences back then, the similarities would be even more apparent.
but isn't that Derek's fault...he seems to lack self-discipline that even if he had a great supporting team it wouldn't guarantee success

Tomeru

May 7, 2018
It's a Star Citizen thread on Era with a dubious premise, we've all seen this before.

We know exactly where this conversation started, and we know exactly how this thread will end. With the usual suspects crawling out of the woodwork to shout "SCAM" from the rooftops, downplay the current state of the game and wail about how people could dare support such greed.

Edit: nevermind.

Last edited:

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Derek actually puts in all the systems Roberts wants to put in in his games the problem is none of that shit makes it fun to play.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I mean why dont you respond to one of the several posts explaining how it is pay 2 win? Just seems like your argument against it being pay 2 win is ..."yea its pay 2 win but ill still be able to have fun"...which is great for you...but not the case for many others.

Just because your "win" state for a game like star citizen includes one thing dont assume everyone else has the same desires as yourself. If my goal in star citizen is to be the best most efficent miner in the universe am i at a disadvantage vs those who have already invested 1000s of dollars into mining ships that they will recieve day 1? On day 1 will i have the same capacity to mine as those individuals? Or will they have an advantage over me with their superior mining ships? If one of those individuals has the same desire as myself to be the best miner in the universe, will i ever be able to catch up to them and the 1000s of dollars theyve invested if they play the same amount as me and engage in the same activities? These are the types of questions people in the SC community often avoid answering.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, the game doesn't have orbital strikes?

EDIT: Because what the answer should be is that I used my capital ship's weapons to turn the entire area you are in to glass

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
My win state is to live the ascetic life, therefore I have to actively not spend any money or own anything at all in the game. Therefore this game is not P2W.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sqaudron 42, the only thing I'm interested in. This is the state of development.

lol

I feel really, realllyyy bad for the people who funded this

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Sqaudron 42, the only thing I'm interested in. This is the state of development.

lol

I feel really, realllyyy bad for the people who funded this

That video is a tad overly dramatic.

But it's still true. I had forgotten all about Squadron 42, and how it was supposed to come out much sooner than the MMO game.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, because i don't really care. Who are you trying to convince...i think yourself and not the backers.
Seriously speaking now.

I'm not interesting on us shitting down each other's throat. I can see that you are extremely passionate about this project. Perhaps even invested a good amount of cash into it.

But the fact of the matter is, at the very least and ignoring all signs indicating this is a scam, Roberts is mismanaging this project big time.

Before they settle down on any kind of roadmap for squadron 42, whether that's mission structure or main story (hell they even recently said they haven't settled on a flight module yet)... they shared the fact Mark Hamill, Gary Oldman and Liam Cunningham along with a slew of Hollywood actors are starred in the game, showing a few cutscenes dating back to 2015 with some expensive mocap.

And that's the single player campaign which was supposed to be out years ago. Let alone SC proper which is an insanely bigger project.

How does the fact the vague scope of the project getting bigger with each update make you feel? How does backer money going into expensive hollywood actors instead of finishing up the project make you feel (especially if you're a backer)?