• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the vibe of Undiscovered Country

The Enterprise feels like a giant space hotel

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished episode 2 which really annoys me. Yeah theyre pre warp but theyre still human. Their great grand kids are still on earth. It should be treated as a rescue mission not some general directive.

At least they beamed down to an actual inhabited, uncharted planet. There's precious little of that in this series. (Though I was fine with the application of the prime directive — nobody actually wanted to leave and there wasn't any danger, beyond the one Discovery dealt with.)

I'm catching up as well, but it's episode 5 that really grinds my gears. The Mycelial Network stuff started off awful, and has only gotten worse since. I hate how Trek gibberish has to go into overdrive to avoid simply saying "space wizards did it", more so than the standard "can't use transporters because of glibbertyglobbertygloop, can't use a shuttle pod because of gloopertyglip" that's been part of Trek since TOS.

Honestly, I liked season 1 a whole lot better, even if Ash and the Mirror Universe subplots were a bit drawn out. Season 2 just keeps bringing back characters who should be cameos at most and stringing along the Red Angel MacGuffin (and, in the meta, Spock). And Michael's voice overs are a trash fire, probably because her character is so bland and generic this season.

Saru/Doug Jones is amazing, though. Fingers crossed that his character and race aren't completely ruined by episode 6.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I must have missed something but did Spock or the Star Trek movies ever mentioned Spock having an adopted sister?
No but Spock doesn't talk about his personal life unless he absolutely needs to and even then until it's pulled out of him. That's been the way he's operated for a long time as seen in TOS with his parents and Sybok in Star Trek 5.

Oct 25, 2017
It is funny that Kirk never read his personal file, I would imagine Starfleet would have records of his family, for emergency purposes at least.

Oct 25, 2017
And we are back tonight, here is a thread on the episode the Cage for anyone that wants a quick refresher.

Also it's funny they had gesture controls apparently lol

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
finished season 1 and just caught up with season 2. I'm enjoying the show well enough. Seems to be an improvement over the first in every way. Though, I did like Jason Issacs. However I appreciated how he died and thought it was nifty, tie fighter sound effect and all :p

I also like Michelle Yeoh a lot and hope she's in plenty of more episodes to come. Her character is just plain rad.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
finished season 1 and just caught up with season 2. I'm enjoying the show well enough. Seems to be an improvement over the first in every way. Though, I did like Jason Issacs. However I appreciated how he died and thought it was nifty, tie fighter sound effect and all :p

I also like Michelle Yeoh a lot and hope she's in plenty of more episodes to come. Her character is just plain rad.

She is getting her own "Section 31" Star Trek series which is set to air sometime after Discovery season 3 (which she will also be in).

Oct 25, 2017

I just got caught up with season 2 too. While it has been a definite improvement over 1, I was getting sick of the finding Spock plot. I'm glad he finally showed up.

Also, Anson Mount is killing it as Pike. He's a great addition and what little we've seen of Number One was also a nice surprise. I loved the Cage. Maybe more than all of TOS so it's nice to see those characters brought back and expanded.

One drawback though is that this makes me dislike the Menagerie even more. I wouldn't mind it being ignored though I doubt that'll ever happen. It just sucks that that is the conclusion of Pike's character.

Oct 25, 2017
I just got caught up with season 2 too. While it has been a definite improvement over 1, I was getting sick of the finding Spock plot. I'm glad he finally showed up.

Also, Anson Mount is killing it as Pike. He's a great addition and what little we've seen of Number One was also a nice surprise. I loved the Cage. Maybe more than all of TOS so it's nice to see those characters brought back and expanded.

One drawback though is that this makes me dislike the Menagerie even more. I wouldn't mind it being ignored though I doubt that'll ever happen. It just sucks that that is the conclusion of Pike's character.
They probably won't reach the menagerie on Disco as that takes place like ~9 years from where the show is.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
You're both good people.
I feel like I might watch it again while at work over the next few nights.

Been a good few years since I saw it last.

A2c2.gif

ExhaustedSourKakarikis-size_restricted.gif

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I might watch it again while at work over the next few nights.

Been a good few years since I saw it last.

It's got it all:
- incredibly obvious cold war allegory
- uncomfortably old cast
- sexy changelings
- klingons quoting Shakespeare and chewing the scenery
- Scotty saves the day
- The best uniforms
- Sulu being on a comm screen for the entire film for some reason
- Mr Tuvok

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
It's got it all:
- incredibly obvious cold war allegory
- uncomfortably old cast
- sexy changelings
- klingons quoting Shakespeare and chewing the scenery
- Scotty saves the day
- The best uniforms
- Sulu being on a comm screen for the entire film for some reason
- Mr Tuvok
Is it actually Tuvok, do we know?

Fucking great film regardless.

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite Star Trek 6 related memory is running into Kurtwood Smith during intermission of a classical music performance after I had very recently watched it and telling him as such. Gave him a good laugh.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope some on twitter haven't over hyped themselves simply because of Talos IV. I kinda got that feeling this week. Guess we'll see.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good
Hot spock is hot
Burnham is a dick
Pike has regrets
Airiam is shady af

Interesting that it shows the admirals are still more or less in war mode, paranoid, untrusting, scared. Business might seem back to normal for the crews but the upper command hasn't moved on from the war.

Mar 5, 2019
Pretty decent episode, but I didn't quite understand the Talosians' motivation to help out. In The Cage they we're much more malevolent, to the point where they wanted a slave race of humans.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone watch it? Impressions?
I'm still trying to process the episode but my initial thoughts is that for me it was super exciting but also emotionally draining in ways I expected but also in unexpected ways. Acting was great. This episode is very dialogue heavy with a lot of relationships progressing. The Michael and Spock side of things is was what I expected it to be but didn't make it any less emotional for me, especially with how it was filmed and acted. The Pike stuff was surprising. Not that they did it but much it landed for me. Then there is the Hugh and Paul scenes and I'm super looking forward to seeing how that plays out.

So for me great episode! I dove right into re-watching it as soon as it was done which is rare. Usually I take a break but I wanted to see it again right away.

I'm not at all surprised how the Admirals were shown. It makes complete sense that they'd be like that I feel.

with a scene with the Discovery and Leland's ship paying Tribute to Into Darkness.

I thought that was the reference as well.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty decent episode, but I didn't quite understand the Talosians' motivation to help out. In The Cage they we're much more malevolent, to the point where they wanted a slave race of humans.
I havent watched TOS in a while but i think after Pike showed the the error of their ways the first time around they realized capturing a bunch of people for slavery or whatever wasn't really the way they wanted to live. They seem to be fine being creepy dudes reading peoples darkest memories now. In Menagerie I think they wanted Pike to return and join their little party.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
It was a pretty good episode. We are finally seeing some pay off with the storyline. Good actor for Spock. I also like what they are doing with the doctor.. I didn't care for him much in the first season but they are giving him some meaty and compelling stuff to work with and he's doing great with it. I liked Stammets in the first season but he's starting to feel like the weak link for me.

Michelle Yeoh being awesome as her quiet but casually evil self, per usual.

MrZaha

Jan 9, 2018
Just started watching, that scene at the beginning where it showed Michael's shuttle and then zoomed in on it looked like it came from an anime

Oct 25, 2017
Ok that was great, loved the intro and the use of the Talosians. The Pike moments were great, the reveal with Micheal and Spock, the fall out between Stamets and Culber, just great character drive episode. I can't wait to watch it again.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is going to be surprised when the Reapers show up.

Nov 8, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
I'd much rather watch 5 than 12
star-trek-into-darkness-alice-eve-underwear.jpg

The new Talosians look alright.
I won't get to watch it for another 9 hours. :(

Is it me, or does Anson Mount look a bit like Christopher Reeve?

It was actually Tim Russ in the role though, so it wasn't that much of a retcon.
Tim Russ was not in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.