Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
www.empireonline.com

Star Trek III: The Search For Spock Returning To Cinemas For 40th Anniversary – New Poster Exclusive

Leonard Nimoy's film is heading back to the big screen this June. Read more at Empire.

June 14th. Man Matt Ferguson's getting all the 40th anniversary posters these days.

i0bG0MBl.jpeg

I mean it's not the best movie obviously but if you want to see the old 1701 one last time now's your chance.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it is the weakest of the Trek trilogy, I still really love this movie. It also gave us all time classics like Excelsior, the Oberth (Grissom), the Bird of Prey, and our first listen to modern Klingon. It's a super special movie in my book and I might cave on my no theaters thing for this.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
It's a dip from 2. The casting change on Saavik is a big downgrade.

But it's not the worst Trek movie by a mile, and it has a particular incident which plays a big part in 6.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
"The doors Mr. Scott." "Aye sir I'm working on it!"

Kirk: 😰

🫂
It's iconic (to nerds at least lol).

It's a dip from 2. The casting change on Saavik is a big downgrade.

But it's not the worst Trek movie by a mile, and it has a particular incident which plays a big part in 6.
It's probably the first time I got a true "family" vibe from a fictional story. The crew deciding to stick with Kirk and McCoy even when he says they don't need to come is still one of those "gets me in the feels" moments.

JediMasterMatt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great time and serves as a bridge between the movie where they voyage home to space after being in San Francisco for the previous movie.

Christopher Lloyd made for a great Klingon and so did John Laroquette.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I have mixed feelings on The Search for Spock. As a Trekkie, I love it, but it's definitely one of the weaker films.

Zerozerozero

Oct 11, 2022
Got my tickets the other day. I'd just started a film rewatch and had watched TWOK before getting tickets. Now I have to wait.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Honestly. I look forward to ALL of the star trek movie theatre re-releases, this one included.

Perfect afternoon theatre to yourself and maybe a few other hardcore trek nerds eat some popcorn and candy movie.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
It's iconic (to nerds at least lol).

It's probably the first time I got a true "family" vibe from a fictional story. The crew deciding to stick with Kirk and McCoy even when he says they don't need to come is still one of those "gets me in the feels" moments.

Yeah, it's like half a good movie. The parts with the crew are great, the stuff on the planet not so much.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of this film despite my extreme love of Spock…but I must go see this.

May 22, 2023
Florida
Still UK only so far?
I have crazy nostalgia love for WoK and this one because it was just a crazy special time and movies and going to the theater felt like a real event. I remember going to the theater I remember. I think the glasses from this one were Taco Bell.
Will always be special movies for me

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Count me among those who feel this movie is flawed but underrated. Yeah, recasting Saavik wasn't ideal and there are some pacing issues, but any Trek movie coming after Wrath of Khan was going to pale in comparison.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, always thought this one was a bit unfairly maligned, forced a little too artificially to make the odd-even curse work. I might legitimately try to get tickets for this. Movies 2-4 hang together as a wonderful scifi trilogy.

Poster is a little off-putting though. Spock's already dead, do we really need to beat him the eye with the Enterprise too?!?

Hardest disagree ever. Kirstie is the lesser Saavik and I'll die on this hill, even if I'm alone on it.
You have my phaser...on stun.
Wow, I have literally never heard anyone ever with this opinion. I don't agree, but more power to you for sticking to your phasers!
There's twos of us. Twos!

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this movie was very good. I'm not super big on Wrath of Khan anyway (1 and 6 are my favorites) but I thought this was a huge step down from that.

Was there backlash at the time from audiences about immediately undoing Spock's death? Or were people just happy to have him back and didn't care?

May 22, 2023
Florida
I don't think this movie was very good. I'm not super big on Wrath of Khan anyway (1 and 6 are my favorites) but I thought this was a huge step down from that.

Was there backlash at the time from audiences about immediately undoing Spock's death? Or were people just happy to have him back and didn't care?
Not at all. People enjoyed movies , they did not sit around on the internet picking everything apart and looking for reasons to hate on them. (Statement on the general state of things, not the question asked)
It was really nice.

Edit: Thinking back to make sure my brain did not overlook anything I think Starlog was probably one of the biggest quick source of news and reviews that I remember, there were a couple of other mags. Miss those days too but no , can't remember it ever being a thing that they brought him back and happy to have Spock alive

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain

The opposite to my knowledge, Spock's death screentested very badly and so they added the scene at the end to telegraph his return, as well as heavily promoting that during the runup to 3