• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Television Series

TOS_head.png

TAS_title.jpg

image.jpg

image.png

image.png

2000px-_Star_Trek_ENT_logo.svg.png

New-_Logo-_Insert.jpg

Star Trek: Memory Alpha

OP
OP
Jackpot

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I watched Sub Rosa for the first time.

Everyone makes a big deal of the scenes of Crusher writhing around but that's the least of it. The whole setting seems to be a parody of the trashy romance novels they show the stereotypical bored housewife reading in the bath.

87c71a1ec89343acb4ed76fb06873ec2.jpg

The lonely, unfulfilled but in the prime-of-her-life heroine who's thrust into a strange, new location. The craggy old groundskeeper who warns her to leave the past alone. The thunderstorms.

Not to mention the portrayal of this Scottish colony is as bad as the Irish Tinkers from Up the Long Ladder. "We have a caber toss scheduled for tomorrow afternoon"

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It's VERY bodice ripper.

It's also not that bad compared to some other season seven stinkers like the one with Geordi's mom.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to watch older episodes (S1-3) of DS9 that I hadn't watched ever or watched in ages. I really liked Captive Pursuit and Civil Defense.

That guy who gets vaporised by the replicator - oof.

Season seven of TNG is either fantastic or terrible.
Masks is a secret pleasure of mine. It's trash but Brent Spiner carries that episode. Genesis is fun, but Timespace did the episode structure better. Sub Rosa is just the best shit - A colony of Scots? Scotch Mist? Crusher getting orgasms from a non-corporeal entity? Perfect. Interface and the Gambit 2-parter put me to sleep.

Last edited:

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate place, but the best produced Star Trek fan film, Star Trek Continues, released its final episode. It's pretty good, if you're into this sort of thing.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate place, but the best produced Star Trek fan film, Star Trek Continues, released its final episode. It's pretty good, if you're into this sort of thing.

I think I watched part of the first one, the production values are insane but I just can't get over fake kirk/spock and the rest. It just makes me want watch TOS again

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching Trek Continues over the past few days. It's really well done. I've enjoyed it immensely. ^_^

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
I'm going through Star Trek TNG on Netflix right now, I had forgotten how terrible season 2 remade special effects were, some of them are quite hilarious lol

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention the portrayal of this Scottish colony is as bad as the Irish Tinkers from Up the Long Ladder. "We have a caber toss scheduled for tomorrow afternoon"

I dunno, I think the treatment of the Scottish colony is a lot better, actually, because it's basically Scottish enthusiasts. Their leader is an alien who loved the land. Seems a lot more inclusive than the Space Irish of "Up the Long Ladder". To modern eyes I can see the complaints of stereotyping a culture, but I honestly don't see how that'd be an issue removed from our world by hundreds of years. It'll be like how no one is up and arms about distilling the middle ages of Europe into renaissance fairs.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Doom, are you still writing about your rewatch? I like reading your posts on each episode lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I intend to do so, yes, but I am uncertain whether the thread claim is still up or not. I am going to assume it isn't and will continue with them soonish.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about that. I watched Brothers today, along with Suddenly Human, for my trek group rewatch.

Brothers is great. I love Data episodes, but also I love his whole family. Watching Spiner get overworked gives me the warm fuzzies.

Oct 25, 2017
I was surprised the TNG-era Spiner (and Frakes) doubling held up in HD. Ironically the doubled Kirk in "The Enemy Within" is probably better than the series overall in hiding the fact that it's totally not Shatner versus some of the fight scenes in HD.

zooj

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ames, IA
I was surprised the TNG-era Spiner (and Frakes) doubling held up in HD. Ironically the doubled Kirk in "The Enemy Within" is probably better than the series overall in hiding the fact that it's totally not Shatner versus some of the fight scenes in HD.
Just watched this episode for the first time today, I was marvelling at it's cheesy goodness. Also, it's a very different take to the characters than I'm used to seeing, maybe that's just due to it being early on in the series, but it was good fun all the way through.

Also watched Tapestry for the first time today as well, that was really good fun, probably my favorite Q episode now.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tapestry IS amazing, the other-life possibilities and speculation say a lot about who a person can be.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Just watched this episode for the first time today, I was marvelling at it's cheesy goodness. Also, it's a very different take to the characters than I'm used to seeing, maybe that's just due to it being early on in the series, but it was good fun all the way through.

Also watched Tapestry for the first time today as well, that was really good fun, probably my favorite Q episode now.

Tapestry is one of my favorites, not only because it's a great Picard & Q story, but for the unforeseen impact it had on my life. I had a moment, years after this episode aired, where I was at a crossroads and had the choice to make a risky decision with unknown consequences, or play it safe. After several days of wrestling with it, the image of Picard in the blue uniform popped into my head and Q saying something to the effect of, "His life never came into focus and he never seized the opportunities that presented themselves," so I went with the risky decision and luckily everything went well.

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate that "Tapestry" isn't really about a single choice totally changing Picard's life, but the idea that it was the lessons he learned (or didn't) that just colored everything he did after that fact.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Whilst I have enjoyed Discovery I maintain that a series that carries on post Voyager would have amazing especially with the number of Trek actors available to do cameos.

Oct 25, 2017
still can't get over the third nacelle on the future enterprise lol

yeah it would have been fun to revisit all of these characters or to at least hear about their adventures after Voyager

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
still can't get over the third nacelle on the future enterprise lol

yeah it would have been fun to revisit all of these characters or to at least hear about their adventures after Voyager

Not only that but it would have been a jumping in point for a new generation of fans. 'Oh that Major Kira seemed interesting; wonder what her story is? Oh there is a whole series about her ? etc.'

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Been watching a decent amount of DS9 lately, and making my first forays into Voyager ever.

I watched one episode of Voyager - a Harry Kim episode where he and Chakotay come back from the future to dig up a frozen Voy - actually I think the episode was just called 'Frozen'. Pretty good! I liked the version of Harry Kim from the future, wish that was the character actually on the show. I watched a couple other Voyager episodes, too. I know most of the show is boring junk so I doubt I'll ever watch it all the way through, just picking out the episodes that sound interesting or are considered good. Saw one with the Doctor where he is brought back online in the far future on some planet Voyager allegedly attacked. Seems like the good Voyager episodes involve some time screwiness so far.

As for DS9, well I saw most of ityears ago, but I never really revisited the earlier seasons until recently and there are several episodes in each season I either seen or don't remember at all, so I've been watching a whole bunch of that. Earlier seasons can truly be boring at times but there are quite a few good episodes in there.

I've got an opinion that's kind of unpopular though - I can barely watch Kira in any storyline that doesn't involve her military experience or the Cardassians. Anything about her personal life is just terrible to me, and I think it's Nana Visitor's acting. She's so corny and awkward when she's being anything other than a tough military lady or a pissed off rebel type. This fits Kira's character - she shouldn't be comfortable getting personal or showing a softer side - but there's just something about Visitor's performance that makes it so clear she's trying to give off that effect that it crosses into awkward and embarrassing for me. Maybe her smile is just too pure, I don't know...

I'm appreciating Dax more than I used to, though. The other characters I pretty much always liked. I think I like Odo a little less now - not the performance or character, but as a person. He's kind of a selfish asshole sometimes.

Oct 25, 2017
Been watching a decent amount of DS9 lately, and making my first forays into Voyager ever.

I watched one episode of Voyager - a Harry Kim episode where he and Chakotay come back from the future to dig up a frozen Voy - actually I think the episode was just called 'Frozen'. Pretty good! I liked the version of Harry Kim from the future, wish that was the character actually on the show. I watched a couple other Voyager episodes, too. I know most of the show is boring junk so I doubt I'll ever watch it all the way through, just picking out the episodes that sound interesting or are considered good. Saw one with the Doctor where he is brought back online in the far future on some planet Voyager allegedly attacked. Seems like the good Voyager episodes involve some time screwiness so far.

As for DS9, well I saw most of ityears ago, but I never really revisited the earlier seasons until recently and there are several episodes in each season I either seen or don't remember at all, so I've been watching a whole bunch of that. Earlier seasons can truly be boring at times but there are quite a few good episodes in there.

I've got an opinion that's kind of unpopular though - I can barely watch Kira in any storyline that doesn't involve her military experience or the Cardassians. Anything about her personal life is just terrible to me, and I think it's Nana Visitor's acting. She's so corny and awkward when she's being anything other than a tough military lady or a pissed off rebel type. This fits Kira's character - she shouldn't be comfortable getting personal or showing a softer side - but there's just something about Visitor's performance that makes it so clear she's trying to give off that effect that it crosses into awkward and embarrassing for me. Maybe her smile is just too pure, I don't know...

I'm appreciating Dax more than I used to, though. The other characters I pretty much always liked. I think I like Odo a little less now - not the performance or character, but as a person. He's kind of a selfish asshole sometimes.

The episode was "Timeless", and it's a good one.

I'm of the opinion Voyager has higher highs than DS9 for me, but it's far less a consistent show than TNG or DS9 and has more lows. Given that it's not heavily serialized there's really no reason to watch the bad episodes (which I think is a disappearing strength of TV.)

And yeah, the fact that Odo's total betrayal gets swept under the rug always irks me. Don't have a problem with Kira, although I never really bought her and Odo's relationship.

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm enjoying DS9 season 4 alot right now. It's in this stage where on any given week it could be the dominion, could be the maquis, could be the cardassians or it could just be something totally new. There's a nice element of unpredictability going on, and meanwhile Dax, Bashir and Quark are all being fleshed out into their latter season selves where you can actually like them and root for them because they are actual people.

Every time I do this - by which I mean watch a lot of TNG followed by DS9, I think first - well obviously TNG is the best series, you cannot compete with Picard and his crew of colourful commanding officers. Then I put on DS9 and I think 'i was right, you can't'. Then I watch more of DS9.

Then I think by god I think DS9 might actually be better than TNG.

Then I repeat the cycle. I love both shows a lot.

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
DS9 still my favourite show, the static nature of the Space Station allowed for a greater development of characters, but also the helped develop the races and lores based around that part of space.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It took me years to give DS9 a proper try. The premise never sat well with me when it first launched. I love it now of course. Although it will never beat TNG for me, probably not Voyager either.

Oct 25, 2017
Reading some BTS stuff about Enterprise, it's kind of funny that Brannon Braga and Rick Berman get blamed for killing Star Trek when really all their ideas would have addressed the common criticisms of the show (feeling too much like 24th century Trek, the temporal cold war feeling disjointed.) Really their sin was not wanting to get left behind when they made a new Trek, and miscalculating on the finale.

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Caretaker again, they really should have had the space station explode via the fight with the Kuzon and not because of Janeway, they never really explored any of her guilt in any meaningful way anyways

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished Star Trek: TNG S1. I'm in a weird place as I've seen quiet a few of the movies but never sat down with one of the shows.

And so far I love it! I may post my thoughts more in depth at end of each season, but I dunno if that's helpful to discussion or more hogging it to myself.

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished Star Trek: TNG S1. I'm in a weird place as I've seen quiet a few of the movies but never sat down with one of the shows.

And so far I love it! I may post my thoughts more in depth at end of each season, but I dunno if that's helpful to discussion or more hogging it to myself.
No by all means go ahead, I started with TNG after watching ST 2009 and got hooked and those are considered the weaker seasons of trek lol

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

If you love season 1 on TNG you're really going to love it when the show gets good.

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw TNG: The Wounded, surprised to see Marc Alaimo playing Gul Macet, almost though it was Dukat until they said his name lol

Also I was watching another episode earlier in the day where Sarek is taking part in negotiations and he's losing his control over his emotions, he had a wife in that one...was she also human? He had a thing for humans didn't he....

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw TNG: The Wounded, surprised to see Marc Alaimo playing Gul Macet, almost though it was Dukat until they said his name lol

Also I was watching another episode earlier in the day where Sarek is taking part in negotiations and he's losing his control over his emotions, he had a wife in that one...was she also human? He had a thing for humans didn't he....
Yep, both his wives were human. Amanda and um.....whatsherface. Peregrin?

Theodoricos

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys. So I'm a huge science fiction fan, yet at the same time I had never bothered trying out Star Trek until several weeks ago. Maybe it's the fact that it's comprised of 5 long series and a whole bunch of movies that was holding me back.

And here I am now, marathoning TNG like nobody's business, already on season 6 after I decided I would just "give it a shot" a month ago or so. Needless to say, I'm hooked. "Just one more episode" quickly became "just one more season". It explores so many interesting sci-fi concepts and the Enterprise has got such a lovable crew that I just can't stop watching. And thing is, even when it's goofy, weird or even straight up bad like many season 1 and 2 episodes were, there's still an ever-present quaint quality to TNG that makes it enjoyable or at the very least fascinating to watch from a historical perspective. It's probably because this is my first Trek show that I'm willing to forgive some of its flaws. I didn't know I wanted a CSI-style series in space with a "mystery of the week" instead of "murder of the week" kind of formula before I watched this.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to exploring more of this universe after I'm done with TNG. I'll probably watch TOS next before giving DS9 a try, as I'd prefer something with a lighter tone like TNG and I've been warned that DS9 is a good deal darker.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys. So I'm a huge science fiction fan, yet at the same time I had never bothered trying out Star Trek until several weeks ago. Maybe it's the fact that it's comprised of 5 long series and a whole bunch of movies that was holding me back.

And here I am now, marathoning TNG like nobody's business, already on season 6 after I decided I would just "give it a shot" a month ago or so. Needless to say, I'm hooked. "Just one more episode" quickly became "just one more season". It explores so many interesting sci-fi concepts and the Enterprise has got such a lovable crew that I just can't stop watching. And thing is, even when it's goofy, weird or even straight up bad like many season 1 and 2 episodes were, there's still an ever-present quaint quality to TNG that makes it enjoyable or at the very least fascinating to watch from a historical perspective. It's probably because this is my first Trek show that I'm willing to forgive some of its flaws. I didn't know I wanted a CSI-style series in space with a "mystery of the week" instead of "murder of the week" kind of formula before I watched this.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to exploring more of this universe after I'm done with TNG. I'll probably watch TOS next before giving DS9 a try, as I'd prefer something with a lighter tone like TNG and I've been warned that DS9 is a good deal darker.

That's awesome! I actually started watching via TNG first, I watched the new movies and they got me hooked. I went from TNG to DS9 but then I skipped VOY to watch TOS/TAS and then ENT and I finally finished with VOY. They all have their very rough spots (some more than others) but I really enjoyed them and now I'm hooked on DISCO

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just having one of my many, many rewatches of the Trek movies. I would love to be able to watch these one day on the big screen. I think I've only seen Generations, ST 09 and Into Darkness at the cinema so none of my favourites (the last being maybe my worst ever cinema experience).

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, finally finished Voyager.

It's kind of hard to believe how much potential this series wasted. There were a few really great episodes, and I don't regret watching it, but it's so inferior to Deep Space Nine in so many ways.

Guess I'll watch a couple more of the TNG films before starting Enterprise.

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting the series for the first time. Just gotten to the half way point of the first season. Shatner is ace in this

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Just came across this:
Gene Roddenberry said:
My first reaction was, 'Jesus Christ, Bob, I don't want a bald man.

We almost got Stephen Macht playing Picard because Gene didn't want a bald captain. Even made him wear a wig for the final audition.