ForBeers

Oct 27, 2017
Picard the best captain confirmed.

Shatner's tweets are giving off some strong, "I am very smart" energy here.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
someone ask shatner why he thinks the enforcement of national areas and boundaries exist in the first place.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't his twitter account run by some shithead rando?
I think he said that he had no clue what was said on his twitter.
But, in any case it's bad that he let anyone use his name like that.
I have to say I don't remember Shatner saying stupid shit like this in interviews. If he has, I'd like to be corrected, and I'm ready to believe that he's awful but tbh all I've ever seen of him outside twitter isn't close to being as shitty as what that account is saying.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
He's just another rich old white dude with a platform to share his bad takes. I think some other rich old white dude got elected president that way.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't run his own twitter does he? It's ran by Paul Camuso iirc. Not saying that doesn't mean he doesn't endorse this shit.
it's not even him doing his twitter is it?
I have to say I don't remember Shatner saying stupid shit like this in interviews. If he has, I'd like to be corrected, and I'm ready to think that he's awful but tbh all I've ever seen of him outside twitter isn't close to being as shitty as what that account is saying.

Source? The tweets clearly say "I"

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Wasn't he in a whole ass movie about the political ramification of an energy crisis? I always suspected there was a good reason they never called him to do stuff in the newer trek. Yet they got damn near everyone else
555183669058fb273008595a9393d628.jpg

Since he's talking about modern Trek making Gene Roddenberry roll in his grave: He hasn't even stopped rolling in his grave over ST6 yet. Roddenberry hated a lot of what made Trek good with a passion.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to say I don't remember Shatner saying stupid shit like this in interviews. If he has, I'd like to be corrected, and I'm ready to believe that he's awful but tbh all I've ever seen of him outside twitter isn't close to being as shitty as what that account is saying.
Why would anyone believe this? Who would let someone use their name without at least knowing some of what is being said? He absolutely endorses this or else someone else would be running the account.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
William Shatner has been fucking bizarre lately. His panel at SDCC was very questionable. Made several attempts telling people to take off their masks(which was against the rules), made jokes about Covid, complained about San Diego being dirty and homeless everywhere, and said Gene Rodenberry would be rolling in his grave(iirc) about new Star Trek.

Oh and he also shilled NFTs during that panel

You're telling me that Shatner is an arrogant, rich old man? I don't believe it.

Oct 27, 2017
Remember this dumb fucker was despised by the entire cast of the original series. Everybody who has ever worked with him can't stand his self-righteous bullshit.

Pretty sure he also claimed that calling a white person a cracker was just as offensive as calling black people niggers too. Fuck him.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
he's like a hundred years old, give him a break lol.

lets see how lucid and politically correct most Era members are 70-80 years from now.. i'm watching you!

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
There is a very valid argument for "Star Trek isn't political"....but unfortunately that's not the route Shatner's taking.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I just can't think of an example of social commentary without it being in a favorable or negative light. I just have never seen social commentary that is not political like your earlier post suggested.

Ok? You can tackle social issues without doing them for politics even if they line up with politics.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone believe this? Who would let someone use their name without at least knowing some of what is being said? He absolutely endorses this or else someone else would be running the account.
Oh, I'm ready to believe it's really Shatner, it's just, looking at his twitter feed and seeing other tweets being shared is really fucking weird.
Like, 90 years old William Shatner talking about CW teenagers shows on Twitter and getting into arguments about shipping characters
It's just... really weird

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
he's like a hundred years old, give him a break lol.

lets see how lucid and politically correct most Era members are 70-80 years from now.. i'm watching you!
We been covering for our parents/uncles/grand parents for far too long. Shitty opinions should be called out.

Oh, I'm ready to believe it's really Shatner, it's just, looking at his twitter feed and seeing other tweets being shared is really fucking weird.
Like, 90 years old William Shatner talking about CW teenagers shows on Twitter and getting into arguments about shipping characters
It's just... really weird
Yeah I don't believe it's him posting, but he absolutely knows a bit about what goes on with that account. It would literally make no sense to let someone use your name like that and not check in on them.

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't he in a whole ass movie about the political ramification of an energy crisis? I always suspected there was a good reason they never called him to do stuff in the newer trek. Yet they got damn near everyone else
555183669058fb273008595a9393d628.jpg

Might have been bitter because VI was such a success. V was his ego project and it pretty much sank the movie franchise. Nimoy and some of his producer friends put in a TON of work to get Paramount to give them one more film.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We been covering for our parents/uncles/grand parents for far too long. Shitty opinions should be called out.

Yeah I don't believe it's him posting, but he absolutely knows a bit about what goes on with that account. It would literally make no sense to let someone use your name like that and not check in on them.
Yeah with 2.5 millions followers, wether it's directly him writing the tweets or someone else I agree that it doesn't really make a difference, he endorses it

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like another case of having a misguided definition of "political." Saw a lot of this in video game PR over the last several years as well.

Maple-Tech

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure William Shatner has someone run his Twitter account, he probably has no idea what's going

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Basically idiots think politics in entertainment is bad.

So if they like something then it can't be political.

IIRC, Nimoy was quite public about being liberal, progressive, and firmly saw Star Trek as being famously political. Like it was practically one giant socio-political allegory, taken as a whole.

It's no surprise that after decades of actively trying to be Shatner's friend, Nimoy grew to absolutely hate him and refused all communication. I wouldn't be surprised if Shatner's pique about Star Trek and politics actually stems more from basically the ENTIRE REST OF THE CAST recognizing what the show was actually promoting. And that an entitled asshole like Shatner would be one of the villains in Star Trek's world.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I'd probably describe myself as a Trekkie and never cared for him (Spock and the rest of the crew carried TOS (Only really liked the movies)). can agree Chris Pine was better easily and TNG+ was better. And social issues are political they influence each other so what?

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, the original post in the OP was in response to a comment by Ted Cruz trying to use Captain Kirk to boost the Republican Party. He refuted the idea Kirk would be a Republican.

ew.com

William Shatner responds after Ted Cruz says Captain Kirk was likely a Republican

William Shatner responds after Ted Cruz says Captain Kirk was likely a Republican

the first one, yeah. That's 2015. trying to keep it "apolitical". the second tweet is now and also wrong.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the conversation of "is Star Trek political" is even more fucking bizarre than the conversation of "is metal gear political", and metal gear covers the creation of the fucking CIA

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone within the Trek cast has viewed Kirk as a huge joke so this ain't shocking.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Someone: "[thing] isn't political."

Translation: "[thing] is political."

Every time.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I really really need to get into DS9, I know it's a slow burner and one of the best (And Sisko is a great captain), I've never been able to get my head past the first few episodes, I will though. Even the weaker stuff (Other than a couple of films TNG era) is top tier viewing and I've watched all of TNG, Voyager (I was a kid, still like it mind), Discovery, Picard (Best captain, maybe a weaker show) and Strange New Worlds (Many compare it to the OS but it is way better and reminds me a bit of TNG with a actually great crew and great story).

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really really need to get into DS9, I know it's a slow burner and one of the best (And Sisko is a great captain), I've never been able to get my head past the first few episodes, I will though. Even the weaker stuff (Other than a couple of films TNG era) is top tier viewing and I've watched all of TNG, Voyager (I was a kid, still like it mind), Discovery, Picard (Best captain, maybe a weaker show) and Strange New Worlds (Many compare it to the OS but it is way better and reminds me a bit of TNG with a actually great crew and great story).
Definitely push through it doesn't take long to hook you.