• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Found this in r/StarWarsBattlefront.
Hello again! Since EA and DICE have decided to move SWBF2 to a "credits earned based on time played" rather than the old system of awarding you based on score earned in a match, I thought I would do an analysis of my time spent playing the Galactic Assault mode during the EA Access period. Please note that credits earned in challenges are not factored in to these numbers.

While I was playing, I started a timer as soon as the match started and the opening shot pans down to my character. I stopped the timer on the Victory or Defeat screen. This spreadsheet and subsequent stats are based on minutes of actual gameplay, no loading times or time spent fuddling around in menus is factored in because many people are playing on many different machines and platforms.

Here is the spreadsheet for those of you that want to dive right in to what I have so far.

Here are some interesting stats I have found from my Galactic Assault matches so far (keep in mind these are the statistics at the time of writing up this post. I will continue to enter my matches as I play them so the exact values may change a bit):

Average Galactic Assault Match Length: 11:09

In my opinion this needs to increase by at least a factor of two, maybe more.

Average Credits per Match: 275

Far too low, we will get into that in a moment.

Average Credits per Minute of Gameplay: 25.04

At first it sounds reasonable...

Gameplay Minutes Required to Earn a Trooper Crate (4000): 159.73

Almost 3 hours of gameplay required to earn a trooper crate at the current rate. I understand these values don't include what you earn in challenges, but I am mainly doing this to figure out what it's going to be like after the first week and I am done chasing the easy challenges and start playing the way I enjoy. 3 hours is far, far too much of a time requirement.

Gameplay Minutes Required to Unlock One Hero: 2,395.97

You read that correctly. At the current price of 60,000 credits it will take you 40 hours of gameplay time to earn the right to unlock one hero or villain. That means 40 hours of saving each and every credit, no buying any crates at all, so no bonus credits from getting duplicates in crates.

The spreadsheet also includes estimates for the amount of time it will take to earn uncommon and rare cards based on the Gamespot crate opening statistics, but the drop rates have not been tested enough for me to include them there. But I do think it's scary that it could potentially take someone over 20 hours of gameplay to earn enough Crafting Parts to make an Epic tier Star Card.

All I can say is that I hope these numbers are just for EA Access. If these are the final numbers for release DICE is going to have a hard time justifying this to the fanbase.

If you have any questions or if I messed up my math in the spreadsheet somewhere, please let me know. I will continue to add more and more match stats as I play tonight.

Well, EA really wants from you to buy Microtransactions.

Newlove

Oct 28, 2017
England
It sucks that its there in the first place but I know DICE are listening and making changes. Seems like a bit of an obvious tuning one to get wrong though, so...err...hopefully its adjusted? Probably not.

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
Just git gud at the game and you'll get more credits. It's multiplayer, people will easily put more than 40 hours in.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It's things like this that make the whole "you can just buy it with in game credits" argument weak.

Yeah sure you can, but you're at the mercy of the developer/publisher to not make real money payments more enticing.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
This game is just
4WWuNBp.jpg

ironcreed

Oct 27, 2017
The way it's looking, I will have already dropped this game and moved on before I even get to play as one of my favorite characters. Because if EA thinks I am buying their crystal packs and loot crates then they have another thing coming. Never have and never will touch any of that shit in any game.

FRV

Oct 27, 2017
Credit per game is very low atm. Hopefully it is just because of EA Access.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
40 hours for a single Hero/Villain? Surely that can't be right.

I've heard it said that progression has been gimped for EA Access, so that people don't get to far ahead. But surely the 10-hour limit would prevent that anyway, right?

Kgamer

Oct 27, 2017
Surely they would follow a model like Overwatch where you can earn one box in about an hour. One per three hours is too low and wouldn't keep people playing.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
So that thing that was there in the demo, you want me to spend forty hours just to unlock one of them? Am I reading this right?
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
That's a little nuts. I'm used to the Battlefield games locking certain guns behind medals that take some time to earn but 40 hours for one unlock? Nah son. I'll pass.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
The way it's looking, I will have already dropped this game and moved on before I even get to play as one of my favorite characters. Because if EA thinks I am buying their crystal packs and loot crates then they have another thing coming. Never have and never will touch any of that shit in any game.

Exactly same here.

Was thinking of purchasing this game, but a pass for me now.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that the heroes were free. Isn't that the whole point of the loot box system, that all content (heroes, maps, game modes) are free?

14 heroes in the base game, each taking 40 hours to unlock. I'm not buying this game anymore.

Even if that time were cut in half or cut down to 10 hours, that's still too much time when there's 14 heroes in the base game.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was hyped when this game was announced. Campaign?! Learning from the mistakes of the first game?! No paid maps?! Then hype deflated with the loot box/star cards thing from the alpha/beta. Then it briefly came back up a bit with that statement a few weeks ago that it won't really be so pay to win, we swear! Now with the stats on all this stuff from people playing through EA Access we're back to rock bottom, maybe buy someday later, bleh.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
60 hours to unlock something you're in no way guaranteed to be able to use in a match? Sounds about right.

DeadOnions

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Without the challenges it's not really an accurate picture. You get quite a few credits from them but heroes shouldn't be locked off in the first place.

Another issue is that you also have the crates to buy and so even with challenges I dread to think how long it'll take to unlock everything.

ironcreed

Oct 27, 2017
Multiplayer is straight up free to play mobile in it's most aggressive form with AAA polish and stuffed into a $60 package. It's hard to ignore all of the analysis that is going on at this point.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm a little confused as well......are you really going to have to buy/unlock every single hero? Even though they were all unlocked by default in Battlefront 1?

What is the point of offering Yoda Lightsaber Mastery Star Card as a pre-order bonus, if using it is going to require 40 hours of gameplay?

Something is probably wrong with the Reddit post.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Without the challenges it's not really an accurate picture. You get quite a few credits from them but heroes shouldn't be locked off in the first place.

Another issue is that you also have the crates to buy and so even with challenges I dread to think how long it'll take to unlock everything.
They referenced the Challenges in the OP. Their testing was based on what it'll be like once the easy ones are done. I assume there's not a ton of them to provide a lot in the long-term?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait until the game's actually out and we know for certain before grabbing my pitchfork. 40hrs of playtime for a hero sounds awful.

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am usually the kind of guy to play games like these online for the first time at a friends house and completely WRECK each and every person with their pathetic micro transaction hero characters. For me it adds value, knowing that people paid in hope of winning a match, only to get destroyed by a true, no-microtransaction nonsense player.
You can't buy greatness, it's best if they learn that quickly.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Why in the hell did EA/Dice think that lowering credits earned for EA Access was a good idea? It's impossible to judge how the game would be after release, so after trying the game, I only feel MORE turned off by the systems.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am usually the kind of guy to play games like these online for the first time at a friends house and completely WRECK each and every person with their pathetic micro transaction hero characters. For me it adds value, knowing that people paid in hope of winning a match, only to get destroyed by a true, no-microtransaction nonsense player.
You can't buy greatness, it's best if they learn that quickly.

Copy Pasta?

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
This 80 dollar game is the most expensive free to play tire fire I've ever seen.

I mean, I'm still buying, so I'm the problem, but fuck, man.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's worth noting that there is heavy rumour going round that this is just for EA access.

Both the amount of credits received and cost of heroes and supposedly getting changed on release date. This was to stop people getting way ahead in the EA Access.

No idea if this true or not but have heard it a few times now

ironcreed

Oct 27, 2017
Why in the hell did EA/Dice think that lowering credits earned for EA Access was a good idea? It's impossible to judge how the game would be after release, so after trying the game, I only feel MORE turned off by the systems.

Did they actually say that everything was tuned up/down for EA access? Because if not, I imagine they surely would have if such was the case in order to prevent this sort of response.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
It's worth noting that there is heavy rumour going round that this is just for EA access.

Both the amount of credits received and cost of heroes and supposedly getting changed on release date. This was to stop people getting way ahead in the EA Access.

Without them surfacing HOW MUCH they reduced it, it does no good as it only shows people playing early that progress is abysmally slow.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just came across this myself on the Battlefront Reddit page. Absolutely crazy if true in the final game.

I hope you're right.

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So far this is really the only issue I have with the game, but I saw it mentioned somewhere that there was speculation that this is only for the trial.

Edit: I see it's been mentioned here as well.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
On second thought, I'll just deal with CoD's shit servers.

This is straight scum. Hope the game flops.

Oct 27, 2017
If this bodes true, I could see the community pushing to get it adjusted, I also see it as a set up to push people to participate in the "community events", etc., with "double/triple xp/credit" events, etc..

If it stays as is, it doesn't take the week long events they are launching in December into account, since we don't know the "reward payouts" during those times.

I would think logically that would be the reasoning. Time will tell come launch.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I'm still a bit confused, is the theory that the Early Access of the game right now is better than it'll be at launch or worse? It feels like I'm reading that people are saying the latter but is there proof that things will change and if so, why did they release it as such? Too late to change it maybe? Bad call either way because this isn't help sell the game.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I feel really sorry for Dice because they have actually made a really fucking good game.

Unfortunately for them the loot box system is going to stop it reaching its full potential