Are you believe The Leak or not

• It's true all of it.

Votes: 834 79.4%
  • Noooo! That's not true That's impossible!

Votes: 217 20.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you've participated in your fair share of Star Wars threads... you know fine well the reactions to them.

TFA was incredibly safe; people were largely fine with it but saw the lack of any form of creativity. TLJ was incredibly divisive, anyone who has used the internet can tell this. And you can see fan reactions to episode IX being skeptical, and then the reactions to the plot leaks here being comical.

TLJ performed 300m short of TFA domestically, and what a good 600/700m short globally off the top of my head? That's a massive drop off.

Sure these films have "succeeded" but TLJ, and presumably ROTS could have performed far better on TFA levels if just smaller. And audience reactions have been damning for the franchise and its brand at large.

Star Wars is practically too big to fail, but that doesn't mean it's too big to not entirely succeed and please everyone.

If you're loving TFA/TLJ that's fine, and I'm happy for you enjoying the films. But that isn't representative of everyone.
TLJs drop was near identical to the drop ESB had off ANH.

TLJ performed exactly in line with how each prior trilogy has gone so far.

Also audience reactions have been damning for the brand? Audience reactions to both TFA and TLJ were both very positive based on every piece of information we have.

Don't mistake really loud nostalgic nerds online for the actual general public.

Last edited:

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019

Also audience redactions have been damning for the brand? Audience reactions to both TFA and TLJ were both very positive based on every piece of information we have.

This is what denial looks like.

TLJ had the most divisive fan reaction to a film since probably Man Of Steel. And youd have to be living under a rock not to see it. Or just in strong denial.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TLJ had the most divisive fan reaction to a film since probably Man Of Steel. And youd have to be living under a rock not to see it. Or just in strong denial.
Man of Steels reception was mostly bad, mixed if you want to be forgiving. TLJ was pretty highly acclaimed. Not even close to comparable.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand

It's annoying how this keeps getting repeated.

Read it. More than half of the online vitriol came from trolls.

It was certainly devisive, but not on the scale you're suggesting and certainly not in a way that crippled the franchise.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah so thats why it was the top grossing movie of 2017 and best selling Blu-ray of 2018 and got great audience ratings from the actual audience rating trackers?

Man of Steels reception was mostly bad, mixed at best. TLJ was pretty highly acclaimed. Not even close to comparable.

Using results to prove your own personal anecdotal point is a fallacy. Not sure if you knew that.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude... if it wasn't divisive you wouldnt have like 3000 posts in the past year defending it.
Resetera or places like Reddit and the like is not even close to representive of the general audience. In the slightest. Just recently The Lion King and Aladdin got mostly VERY negative reception here. And not even that the discussion on both were very minimal and their trailers got little attention. The little attention either got being heavily negative.

And both were movies that were gigantic hits that audiences embraced.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
read this yesterday. ppl are gonna be bitching about it till the ends of time lol

as i said, it was sheev's story all along lol

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
The film dropped 67.5% its second weekend for a reason.

Sorry, I've experienced the mixed reception across pretty much every social platform on the interne and real life and you cant just blame trolls and politics.

I went with a sold out audience that straight mocked how stupid the leia Poppins scene was.

You cant have a discussion about the film anywhere without it turning into a huge shit show. Just like Man Of Steel.

Which is cool. I love polarizing movies. It means a film didnt aim to please everyone and made bold choices. I happen to fall on the side of people that hated it.

But the outright denial people have that the film got at best mixed reception is strange to me because it's so very clear.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
It's annoying how this keeps getting repeated.

Read it. More than half of the online vitriol came from trolls.

It was certainly devisive, but not on the scale you're suggesting and certainly not in a way that crippled the franchise.

I mean the study is Twitter users who directly tweeted @ Rian, which is a small sample size in terms of actual discourse around a film.

I don't think I've ever felt the need to go directly to Rian, or any director, on Twitter. I take issue with a lot of his decisions in the film, but I can at least admire his risk taking and direction of the franchise being bold.

I don't understand why people are so afraid to accept that people genuinely take issue with TFA/TLJ who aren't politically motivated/Alt-Right. And that always feels like such a lazy response.

I'll use the example of Rose since that usually appears as a sticking point for people and is a common criticism for the film from people. I don't like the character of Rose, her plot or the relationship she was thrust into. Is Kelly Tran to blame for any of that? Absolutely not, she worked with what she was given. Was the hate directed at her disgusting and abhorrent? Absolutely. Rose was badly wrote, and we can talk about the failings of the character; and this expands to Rey and Finn. People can dislike the films not because of "representation", but because we want more from the characters which fails from the writing and direction.

The hate at Kelly on Twitter was vastly alt-right and politically motivated, and should be called that and recognised. But that doesn't mean there isn't a genuine conversation about the films that isn't tied to the seedy underbelly of online misogyny and racism.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Social media interactions with the recent special look and the first teaser are reaching Avengers level interactions. The brand is so tarnished and damaged because of TLJ all right.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Are Anthony Daniels, Ian McDiarmid and Warwick Davis the only 3 actors to appear in at least one movie of each trilogy?

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
It would be so easy to make a joke about how it would be unsurprising since he certainly doesn't give any.

I was more referring to the rampant toxic masculinity and pro fascist imagery

Isn't the fascist imagery all for the First Order? Like... they're meant to space fascists and are implicitly the villains and reprehensible as an organisation?

And what's the rampant toxic masculinity, Rian pushed for a lot of female representation in the film. And you had the likes of Holdo's cool sensible head proving right above Poe's hot headed arrogance.

Dec 12, 2017
Luke, and ultimately Lucas, accomplished this in Return of the Jedi already.

Instead of killing his father as the Emperor, Ben Kenobi and to a certain degree Yoda wanted him to do, Luke casts aside his Jedi weapon and, in a much more subtle way, the desires of his mentors to forge his own path.

He proves that it's not strength, brutality, anger, power or revenge that can conquer hatred and pure evil but rather love. The love a son has for his father, no matter who he is or what he's done and the love a father has for his son, no matter how long it may have taken him to arrive at that point in his life.

Luke then goes on to channel this hopefulness and try and restart a Jedi order, with Han and Leia's son, his nephew, as the star pupil. He is terrified by the conflict that he senses in Ben and for a second, considers destroying him, because he knows that the darkside could be the beginning of the end.

Moreover, the Skywalker blood has been cursed in this regard. In igniting his saber, he fails not only Ben, not only himself but the Jedi order he swore to rebuild.

Plagued with guilt, Rey eventually helps him see the error of his ways. That light v dark isn't the way forward as he was taught. That his hubris made him believe he could do it the old way...but times change. People change. So he calls for the Jedi as we all know it, to end. I thought it was great.

Given this, the territory that's being mined in the sequel films bores me to no end. I know I'm in the minority when I saw this but I will defend it to my dying day: the only person who truly understands Star Wars is George Lucas. Everyone else who takes a crack at telling a story in his universe is just playing with someone else's toys.

You're not wrong.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liked TFA, loved TLJ, but watching the trailer...

and reading the spoilers...

I think I was more hyped up about Rise of the Sith before it was released.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's obviously time travel right? Han appearing but not as a ghost, Luke returning, flashbacks of past movies as they fight on some falling thing, Ben dying but not dying

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Luke then goes on to channel this hopefulness and try and restart a Jedi order, with Han and Leia's son, his nephew, as the star pupil. He is terrified by the conflict that he senses in Ben and for a second, considers destroying him, because he knows that the darkside could be the beginning of the end.

Moreover, the Skywalker blood has been cursed in this regard. In igniting his saber, he fails not only Ben, not only himself but the Jedi order he swore to rebuild.

Plagued with guilt, Rey eventually helps him see the error of his ways. That light v dark isn't the way forward as he was taught. That his hubris made him believe he could do it the old way...but times change. People change. So he calls for the Jedi as we all know it, to end. I thought it was great.

You're not wrong.

Sensing the dark side in his nephew should not have led Luke to try and kill him considering how he saved his father, period. Made no sense.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
Rose is very high up in the Resistance. Her role is comparable to Lando's. She is Finn's love interest.

It's all everyone really wanted
The engineer that noone knew about in the last movie (Not even poe or purple hair) is somehow very high up in the resistance? Those are some crazy good promotions maybe i should join..

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Sensing the dark side in his nephew should not have led Luke to try and kill him considering how he saved his father, period. Made no sense.

Both reactions don't make rational sense, they don't always have to as humans are irrational sometimes but even then they are extreme overreactions here that are explained away in the force-fog of ambiguity with Palpatine meddling in the background. With the Palpatine bodysnatcher rumors in mind, they are maybe going to add that as context to the Luke/Kylo scene (and retroactively to Snokes death, when Kylo didn't kill Rey and the end of RotJ when Luke wasn't cutting Vader down) all in order for Palpatine to get a new hostbody lol. So there was a bit more at play in all of those scenes, but I'm still having trouble connecting every element to that. Let's assume Kylo thought that Luke was about to kill him and he knew that it was in order for Palpatine taking over Luke (so Kylo is a tragic good boy, not sure how he knew but just let's assume he did) his actions after that still wouldn't make much sense or rather Snokes wanting him to kill all his relatives... I guess every doubt can be explained away by using the force as a crutch but it still doesn't come over as a coherent thing. Maybe it's all BS

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017

Also audience reactions have been damning for the brand? Audience reactions to both TFA and TLJ were both very positive based on every piece of information we have.

www.rottentomatoes.com

Star Wars: The Last Jedi | Rotten Tomatoes

Luke Skywalker's peaceful and solitary existence gets upended when he encounters Rey, a young woman who shows strong signs of the Force. Her desire to learn the ways of the Jedi forces Luke to make a decision that changes their lives forever. Meanwhile, Kylo Ren and General Hux lead the First...

+ absolutely every forum that i've read (both in my country and internationally) being mixed if not outright negative about the movie, including Era.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So instead you listen to an angry brat who's looking for reasons to paint someone he hates in the most negative possible light?
I mean the root reason for why he hates him is pretty legitimate. If I woke up to my uncle with a loaded gun cocked and aimed at my head you best believe Im never talking to that fucking guy again.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Rose is very high up in the Resistance. Her role is comparable to Lando's. She is Finn's love interest.

It's all everyone really wanted
Fuuu.... Why can't Finn just have a platonic friendship? The guy still doesn't fully understand himself even after two movies. Well, lets see how they set this up...

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
No Rey is actually Shimi, she travels back in time after Ghost Force Luke and Ghost Force Palpatine battle each other tearing time and space apart. Then she gives birth to Anakin because Sheev impregnated her without her knowing; hence "Rise of Skywalker". Not even joking.
Qui Gon and ObiWan would have sensed her forcepowers tho, unless she loses them before that. So even if not a joke, still doesn't add up.
I guess Palp knew how to hide them.

nilbog

Movie Aficionado
Oct 25, 2017
No Rey is actually Shimi, she travels back in time after Ghost Force Luke and Ghost Force Palpatine battle each other tearing time and space apart. Then she gives birth to Anakin because Sheev impregnated her without her knowing; hence "Rise of Skywalker". Not even joking.

lawlz

Status
Not open for further replies.