• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For most plot points, I would agree. However, the backbone of TROS, the relationship between Rey and Kylo (force dyad) was started in TLJ.
Probably even earlier in TFA. The way Rey was able to tune into Kylo's abilities and how evident that connection was from the go lines up well.

Whether or not that was the actual plan back then.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think that Ep. IX under Trevorrow probably would've been worse, but also much more interesting. Trevorrow's films are trash, but in a mostly interesting way (like, how the fuck did that dude even come up with some of the insane stuff in JW2?).

Rise of Skywalker's worst crime isn't that it's bad, it's that it's also incredibly bland and reactionary in a way that Trevorrow's movie probably wouldn't have been.
Not only was deranged Supreme Leader Kylo an obvious set up from TLJ but it would have been so fucking good to watch. This artwork of Kylo on the throne, interrogating Chewie etc is killing me. This is what the movie should have focused on not Sheev and his trinkets. What a waste of a film.
Shame, they should've really leaned into the occult and arcane nature of the Sith. Those concepts are great and actually show the difference between light and dark. Lucas always said the Sith were a perversion of life and the desperation to cling to it. Exogul was the only visually interesting new planet of the ST and we only got a topical treatment with it.

We need more of Star Wars digging into the fantasy, medieval, gothic aesthetic-- the Kentaro Miura'esque stuff that got cut from RotS is great.

We need an "All A plot" type of film. One that doesn't feel the need to include a B plot full of dog fights and space chases and trying to think of stuff for sidekicks to do. The idea of the lightsaber wielding apprentice who's in over his head and seeks to save the princess from Dracula's The Sith Lord's funhouse esque castle.

Daaaaamn, I want all of this

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
For most plot points, I would agree. However, the backbone of TROS, the relationship between Rey and Kylo (force dyad) was started in TLJ.

Sure but even that is treated in such a throwaway manner. Palpatine mentions the dyad once right before he drains their life away. Do most people in the audience even know what a dyad is? We know that the Dyad was originally a much larger part of the story and more properly explained, but like everything else it was hacked away at until almost nothing remained.

The bond between them was probably the only continuation from TLJ that was done well but it's relevance to Sheev was poorly explained.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Idk man, that spider dude on top of the giant goblin baby looks pretty weird and I think most people would've hated it. Feels like there's some "Grass is always greener" going on here.

Although the idea of of some weird gross alien who's extremely powerful in the Dark side of the Force is cool, basically the reverse of Yoda. They could've had something like that in TFA or TLJ, feels a bit late in the last movie

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it, that whenever stuff like the artbook or the colin Trevorrow script come out people automatically think 'they looked great they should have used it in the movie!'.

Concept art is concept art and most of it dates back years. There is a good reason it does not make it to film. The grass is not always greener.

We're talking about the lowest rated SW film in history, in this case the grass can't possibly any more burnt and dried than what we got.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
EOel4ucVUAAOE4a.jpg:large

We coulda had sad kylo memes :(
"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, but lose his soul?"

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
I see those pictures and think of all the awesome directions this trilogy could've gone with Driver's acting range.

But then I look down and see Kylo fall too hard and say 'ow!' for comedic relief.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it, that whenever stuff like the artbook or the colin Trevorrow script come out people automatically think 'they looked great they should have used it in the movie!'.

Concept art is concept art and most of it dates back years. There is a good reason it does not make it to film. The grass is not always greener.
Star Wars fans have a tendency to think that any unused ideas are better.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure Trevorrows end product would be, at best, a different kind of terrible, but damn, if that isn't artwork that sparks your imagination.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
The way Chewbacca's capture is used in the final film is just so stupid. A scene with Kylo and Chewie could have been so cool and something we really haven't seen before, I would have loved to see those two meet.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guarantee that if images from the artbooks of TFA and TLJ were posted in here most would be saying how cool they look etc. It's the very nature of these books that you're seeing artists unhinged ideas. It almost always looks better than the final product. That's when the rubber meets the road.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The way Chewbacca's capture is used in the final film is just so stupid. A scene with Kylo and Chewie could have been so cool and something we really haven't seen before, I would have loved to see those two meet.

Chewie speakes english for the first time "I'm going to rip your arms off and beat you to death with them"

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
ml8N4zC.png

What the hell were they thinking? This shit is way too cool for Star Wars. I haven't seen any of the sequels and the setting in its current form doesn't interest me in the slightest, but this... this I would watch.
yeah i am sure disney would put that nightmare in one of their movies,kinda cool art though

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Idk man, that spider dude on top of the giant goblin baby looks pretty weird and I think most people would've hated it. Feels like there's some "Grass is always greener" going on here.

Although the idea of of some weird gross alien who's extremely powerful in the Dark side of the Force is cool, basically the reverse of Yoda. They could've had something like that in TFA or TLJ, feels a bit late in the last movie
One of the only things i liked in ROS was Babu Frik, so i feel pretty safe in saying if there was another space oddity with a weird vibe & cool design in this nothing of a movie then i would probably enjoy it

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm honestly hoping someone makes an official story release of this stuff, like the old original draft Star Wars comic.
TSW1JanDuursema.jpg

I absolutely would pay for a graphic novel of THIS version of the story because it's grabbing my attention far more than anything I saw in Rise of Skywalker.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
It's like you guys have never made the connection that great art can't save fucked up direction. Look at this!!!!

Doug_Chiang_The_Phantom_Menace.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

C4A.jpg

DC05.jpg

Doug+Chiang+-+The+Phantom+Menace.jpg

THIS SHIT IS BEAUTIFUL

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
As good as Adam Driver is, I feel like the writing of TFA never really sold me on him ever being Han and Leia's son.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part about the Treverrow leak is how suddenly people seem to think everything comes from his script. Most of the art is almost exclusively JJ Script stuff. The amount of prototyping that never gets used to stuff that actually gets cut is massive. Especially in TROS where there is a good hour+ of movie cut

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
This vs. how the movie pictured Hux, the Knights of Ren, Kylo and the First Order. SMH.

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
They probably should have given Kylo the mask from the beginning instead of forging it after the movie begins a year after he's started as Supreme Leader

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's like you guys have never made the connection that great art can't save fucked up direction. Look at this!!!!

Doug_Chiang_The_Phantom_Menace.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

C4A.jpg

DC05.jpg

Doug+Chiang+-+The+Phantom+Menace.jpg

THIS SHIT IS BEAUTIFUL
And Phantom Menace is STILL widely regarded as an artistic triumph, at the very least, and it rightly was nominated and won many awards for its art direction, costumes, visual effects, and more. And some of the art that you posted that was accurately brought to the screen was some of the stuff that was praised as highlights of the film.

Yeah, execution is ultimately what matters most, and I actually think many of the prequels could've been salvaged in the hands of a better director.

But it's not just the art SKILL that we're interested in for the recent batch of concept art; it's the CONCEPTS. Some of those ideas, those themes, those character moments are absolutely arresting and evocative in a way the final film wasn't. Those story beats we're seeing - of the Oracle, of Supreme Leader Kylo Ren, of Chewbacca's interrogation - all have a gravity and imagination to them that was desperately needed.