Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I assume the title is THE THING we have to be angry about because we're on the internet?

v1.bTsxMTE2ODg5NTtqOzE4MDg0OzEyMDA7ODAwOzEyMDA

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
If Sheev is in this then I hope he brings that prequels levels of ham because we need more memes

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They were never topping Palpatine anyway, so might as well go back to the well. Palpatine made Vader seem like a teddy bear by comparison.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
Star wars: the rise of fanboy wankery.

Rey has a 2 tone skin 😂
Crying for Leia who she has been on screen together for less than 10 minutes 🤣
Lando looks geriatric 😑
Back to Sand 🙄
Palpatine? 🤮🤮🤮

I'm disgusted 🤬

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Trailer gave me strong Force Awakens vibes, which is odd coming from The Last Jedi that felt nothing like that.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they rename jedi 'skywalkers' wouldn't the title need the plural in it too? Or if it was just about 'a' skywalker, wouldn't it need to be called 'Rise of the Skywalker?

Just saying. The Last Jedi made sense as meaning 'the last of the jedi' or as 'the very last individual jedi'. This only makes sense if Skywalker is a character's name.

I'm not really on board with the theory, but it's acceptable in this context to refer to it in the singular if you're discussing a concept.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Doesn't make Ben a Skywalker though. It makes him related to the Skywalkers, yes, but not a Skywalker.

Also, it's still weird to call it 'Rise of Skywalker' when the only Skywalker is the villain who would presumably do the complete opposite of rising this film.

So Luke and Leia aren't Skywalkers either because Padmé isn't a Skywalker.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
This is Rey's story.. she's closing out the Skywalker saga, as it should be. I knew JJ would refocus. Footage looked great, title is.. something. We'll see how it feels down the road. I'm hyped.

Yo is this for real?

He appeared on the stage after the teaser finished playing. He will be in it and not as a flashback at the very least.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
"The Rise of Skywalker"

So that means Luke is coming back or Rey is a Skywalker???

Seems more obvious that it's neither

Luke's heroic last stand becoming legend and inspiring people around the galaxy to stand up together. Skywalker can easily become the new term for Jedi without it meaning everyone's related to him

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Would've loved to see this forum's reaction when 'Attack of the Clones' was announced as a title

Or for that matter 'The Empire Strikes Back'

Theory that bit of Rey jumping the Tie fighter is the last scene of the movie and is friendly play between Kylo & Rey (cousins) who have brought balance to the force, kind of like a training thing.
I cannot think of something more anathema to JJ Abrams' being as a filmmaker than showing *the ending* as the very first bit of footage lol

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I am sure that having one character reprise his role in 1 film will kill an entire billion dollar franchise.

Totally.
Overseas doesn't care nearly as much about Star Wars nostalgia as the US. Solo bombed and China, the second most important market in the world, thinks these movie are shallow nostalgia grabs and don't watch them. It won't die, but just doing the same thing over and over again to the exact same group of people surely won't help it.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of anger, fear and hate Palpatine is inspiring in this thread is approaching true Sith levels.

Oct 27, 2017
Looked solid. The name...not so great, but we'll see how it works with the story. J.J. is cleaning up Rian's mess. He should have just done all 3 movies.

this has literally been JJ's problem.... mofo cant never finish anything... TLJ is JJ's fault a little, also... like 80%(Ruin)- 20%(JJ) lol anything would have been better than Ruin Johnson writing and directing it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm seeing Snoke theories popping up in here and suddenly I remember when the fan theories for the last jedi constantly talked about how he needed a new body and was gonna use Rey because this shot exists.
giphy.gif

Getting a similar feeling that people think SW is way more convoluted than it actually is.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Title is dumb but it looks like a Star Wars movie.

I'm sure it will be fine!

then the saga can end and can we maybe have a whole new saga that isn't so dependant on "HEY REMEMBER THIS GUY! HE'S BAAAACK! YOU LOVE HIM!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks awesome. Have faith it'll be far better than TLJ.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
What I want to know is was this what TPM got back when the title was announced? I wasn't on the internet in 1998 or whenever they revealed that.

I was. A group of us crowded around a University monitor to watch the trailer, and we were all in regardless of the silly title. Because we didn't really know exactly what the prequels would turn out to be. Denial continued through the first viewing too, at least in my group of friends.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
My guess: Rey throws out the Jedi name and its adherence to the light side in favor of starting with a new order using the name "Skywalkers" as a homage, going with a dual dark/light approach a la a WoW Balance Druid (hinted at by the black/white Jedi symbol in E8.)

Yeah, my initial thought is that it's referencing a new organization instead of the specific family. I was thinking more of the Rebellion turning into a galactic policing force called "Skywalker" or something, but you're right, the Jedi make more sense.

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is so incredibly negative that based off of less than 2 minutes of footage people have written off an entire movie.
Worse yet I see so much speculation and theorizing as if people know exactly what will happen and are basing their opinions of this movie off of that.
Seriously the worst.

Yeah and it's really fucking incredibly depressing reading the reactions and ridicule. It happens every cycle though when we get a new Star Wars movie so I'm kind of numb to it at this point.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is so incredibly negative that based off of less than 2 minutes of footage people have written off an entire movie.
Worse yet I see so much speculation and theorizing as if people know exactly what will happen and are basing their opinions of this movie off of that.
Seriously the worst.

What if I told you, the Star Wars community, which includes people who hate and love TLJ, are the worst?

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Letting the past die is not really the theme for Episode 8, although yes, will be pissed off if Episode 9 will regress to pander to the toxic SW fans.
I feel like an idiot. How did I miss this for my entire life?
Most of us learnt it from interviews and articles. I thought it was about the rise of jedis than A jedi at first as well.