• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Quite possibly the only badass moment Luke will have had in this entire trilogy and it kills him to do it. Still ticks me off that they actually thought "yup, this is a good place for Luke Skywalker to die".

It's the most Jedi way to go out and his story lives on to spark hope across the galaxy. If this is truly his only "badass" moment in the trilogy then I say it's worth it.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quite possibly the only badass moment Luke will have had in this entire trilogy and it kills him to do it. Still ticks me off that they actually thought "yup, this is a good place for Luke Skywalker to die".
It was the most badass thing anyone in the entire franchise has done. He went with the most Jedi act possible and inspired an entire galaxy.

It was the pitch perfect way for Luke to end his story.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
TFA was the Star Wars that finally got me hooked. My best friend was a huge SW nerd but it just didn't do anything for me at the time (was more into HP/LOTR). I was so excited after watching TFA but then TLJ happened. Hopefully IX can wrap things up and do these characters some justice but I doubt it...

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
DWfgg3gXkAABOeM.jpg
I was absolutely amazed and floored by this scene in the theater

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
The fact that Luke has become a person without hope and without courage does not coincide with the development of his character established in "A New Hope".

Besides that Luke is convinced by Yoda after so many years. Why? Why at this time and not before ?. The timeline does not make any sense.

Luke became a hermit who preferred to let the galaxy fall into the hands of "The New Order" instead of going and fighting. WHY? There is no proper answer. It's just a bad script.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the way Luke ended. I think people are right that there's a lot there that kind of makes it an ultimate 'jedi' way of going out.

I wish I had got to see more Luke Jedi Knight that existed in between RotJ and his end in TLJ outside of expanded universe type stuff.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It was quite literally the most Luke Skywalker thing he's ever done.

The fact that Luke has become a person without hope and without courage does not coincide with the development of his character established in "A New Hope". Besides that Luke is convinced by Yoda after so many years. Why? Why at this time and not before ?.
Star-Wars-8-The-Last-Jedi.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And he had to do it because fenn couldn't sacrifice himself to destroy the giant laser because rose crashed her speeder into his because "love would save us". And this was literally minutes after love couldn't save us from the imperial fleet so holdo had to sacrifice herself.

the movie is the biggest mess ever and if we're caught up on individual actions of luke skywalker we're kind of missing the point. This movie is a fucking clusterfuck and people don't seem to notice because it's pretty to look at

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
And he had to do it because fenn couldn't sacrifice himself to destroy the giant laser because rose crashed her speeder into his because "love would save us". And this was literally minutes after love couldn't save us from the imperial fleet so holdo had to sacrifice herself.
So you missed the messages of the movie. Got it.

Nov 11, 2017
The fact that Luke has become a person without hope and without courage does not coincide with the development of his character established in "A New Hope".

Besides that Luke is convinced by Yoda after so many years. Why? Why at this time and not before ?. The timeline does not make any sense.

Luke became a hermit who preferred to let the galaxy fall into the hands of "The New Order" instead of going and fighting. WHY? There is no proper answer. It's just a bad script.
Maybe you should watch again and pay attention this time.

He thought that because of the balance of the Force that more light would only create more powerful darkside. Snuffing out the light (including his own) would lead to the end of the dark. Snoke himself said he was wise for thinking this.

But he was wrong.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

the movie is the biggest mess ever and if we're caught up on individual actions of luke skywalker we're kind of missing the point. This movie is a fucking clusterfuck and people don't seem to notice because it's pretty to look at
giphy.gif

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
How do people still not understand that Finn sacrificing himself wouldn't have done shit? His ship was disintegrating and wouldn't have made a dent in that thing.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The best thing about Star Wars discussions these days is folks like this, who pretend to understand the franchise in ways "haters" don't. Has it never occurred to people like him that this "misreading" of the original trilogy isn't actually wrong and decades worth of movies, books and games were born from these commonly accepted themes and concepts?

Is it a bad thing that Disney is redefining what Star Wars means? Not at all. In fact it's only a good thing for the franchise to evolve and establish itself as more distinct from the many other franchises that have popped up since Star Wars popularised science fiction in ways no other franchise ever had.

It is however disingenuous to pretend that they're more faithful to the original trilogy than anything that came out between 1983 and 2015 and that to not see that is to misunderstand the franchise entirely.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why didn't love save us from the imperial fleet? Why is it good for holdo to sacrifice herself but not fenn?

And every situation the characters find themselves in is the result of them being incomprehensibly stupid or making decision that literally make no sense. It feels like the movie was written once and never discussed by anyone at any point before shooting and editing.

How do people still not understand that Finn sacrificing himself wouldn't have done shit? His ship was disintegrating and wouldn't have made a dent in that thing.

Why is that any less likely to work than the light speed trick? The light speed trick should never have worked because if that sort of tactic did work space warfare would have already evolved around it since light speed was invented

The movie is a twisted mess and literally everything that happens is a rabbit hole of nonsense we could spend hours on

Oct 28, 2017
The best thing about Star Wars discussions these days is folks like this, who pretend to understand the franchise in ways "haters" don't. Has it never occurred to people like him that this "misreading" of the original trilogy isn't actually wrong and decades worth of movies, books and games were born from these commonly accepted themes and concepts?

Is it a bad thing that Disney is redefining what Star Wars means? Not at all. In fact it's only a good thing for the franchise to evolve and establish itself as more distinct from the many other franchises that have popped up since Star Wars popularised science fiction in ways no other franchise ever had.

It is however disingenuous to pretend that they're more faithful to the original trilogy than anything that came out between 1983 and 2015 and that to not see that is to misunderstand the franchise entirely.

So you appeal to the existence of decades' worth of EU content rather than dealing with the substance of his argument? Gotcha.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And that's a good enough excuse for a whole movie of him doing the least Luke Skywalker things he's ever done only to then promptly dying on us? I do love that scene but it doesn't justify Luke's portrayal and subsequent death in the rest of the movie.

We could've gotten the same scene in a movie where Luke retired from the Jedi Order and opened up a wookie hotdog stand. It's a fantastic scene in spite of the rest of the movie, not because of it. If anything I was just relieved to see Luke do something other than sulk and complain.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Why is that any less likely to work than the light speed trick? The light speed trick should never have worked because if that sort of tactic did work space warfare would have already evolved around it since light speed was invented

The movie is a twisted mess and literally everything that happens is a rabbit hole of nonsense we could spend hours on
Guy going at in-atmosphere speeds on a rickety old mining speeder that is literally falling apart as he drives from a hundred yards away vs a huge ship going lightspeed from miles away. Hmmmmm, HMMMMMM, no difference there at all.

And space warfare didn't evolve around that because it's inefficient. It only slowed the fleet, it didn't nuke it and it cost a probably very expensive ship in the process. It was a one time, last ditch effort to give the Resistance a window to get down planetside.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The characters are so dumb! Like why would kylo tell all his men to focus on the millennium falcon!! It's not like that ship belonged to his dad and he was incensed into making a rash decision because all characters in a movie have to be 100% rational actors at all times or I'm unable to enjoy myself

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you appeal to the existence of decades' worth of EU content rather than dealing with the substance of his argument? Gotcha.

The substance of his argument is that he understands Star Wars and people that disagree with him don't. That's all there is to it, that's all there ever is to it, to which my argument is that you can't actually claim that because we have decades of media that share the same themes and concepts that he claims are a misunderstanding of Star Wars itself.

If millions of Star Wars fans across the globe took from the movies what those books, games and the like represented, for decades, then how can it be a misunderstanding? Clearly that's what Star Wars is to an awful lot of people and the only thing that has changed is what Disney wants Star Wars to mean.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Why didn't love save us from the imperial fleet? Why is it good for holdo to sacrifice herself but not fenn?

And every situation the characters find themselves in is the result of them being incomprehensibly stupid or making decision that literally make no sense. It feels like the movie was written once and never discussed by anyone at any point before shooting and editing.

Your fixation on "love" makes no sense at all (even if she clearly has feelings for him). Rose didn't save Finn because she loves him. She saved him because he was literally going to kill himself for no reason and because they're stronger together, without trying to go out on a suicide run, against the wishes of others, against the command and agreement of the rest of the resistance. Holdo's wasn't defying the resistance, and it wasn't to do a suicide run. She talked to and agreed with Leia that staying behind was the best move so that the FO didn't get suspicious when it seemed like no one was piloting the cruiser.

Finn's decision however.. he made the same mistake Poe did in thinking he could be a hero without working together and deciding to defy the command/wishes of his friends and the resistance. It was clear his suicide mission would be fruitless. Poe and Rose were pleading with him to just have patience and learn to follow, especially when it was clear that everybody had made the decision to regroup and come up with another plan.

Holdo didn't stay behind to do a suicide run. Her plan was to stay behind so that everyone else could escape. For all she knew the cruiser would have been boarded and she could have been captured/taken prisoner.

She only attempted the light speed maneuver when it was clear that Poe had fucked up the plan once DJ turned over intel that would have doomed the resistance's escape plan.

So, Holdo's decision was different because it was either:

A. Watch her friends get murdered before she either was killed or boarded
B. Try to do something to save them

Opposed to Finn breaking off on his own, against everyone's wishes and doing something that was going to fail, when he could have easily just listened and retreated with everyone else.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And space warfare didn't evolve around that because it's inefficient. It only slowed the fleet, it didn't nuke it and it cost a probably very expensive ship in the process. It was a one time, last ditch effort to give the Resistance a window to get down planetside.

giphy.gif

If one empty ship with a hyperdrive can destroy several capital ships this would be the only tactic anyone used in any battle and someone would have either devised technology to stop it or capital ships would have stopped being a thing *thousands* of years ago because on invention of hyperdrives weaponizing them would have been one of the first things anyone tried...

I personally hate this movie not because luke skywalker is jaded or whatever but because it plays things so loose with the setting. The hyperdrive moment by itself would have ruined star wars for me, but there's a cascade of things like this in the film

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
nd that's a good enough excuse for a whole movie of him doing the least Luke Skywalker things he's ever done only to then promptly dying on us? I do love that scene but it doesn't justify Luke's portrayal and subsequent death in the rest of the movie.
It absolutely does. If Luke Skywalker was any other way in the film that scene wouldn't have been anywhere near as impactful. People go through shit over the course of 3 decades, and people change as a result. The most devastating thing that ever happened to Luke was losing his aunt, uncle, and then Ben.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
It was the most badass thing anyone in the entire franchise has done. He went with the most Jedi act possible and inspired an entire galaxy.
I woudnt call it a more "Jedi act" than Obi-Wan's sacrifice in ANH. And the scene itself isn't as special as Yoda lifting the X-Wing. [shrug]

Nov 11, 2017
The substance of his argument is that he understands Star Wars and people that disagree with him don't. That's all there is to it, that's all there ever is to it, to which my argument is that you can't actually claim that because we have decades of media that share the same themes and concepts that he claims are a misunderstanding of Star Wars itself.

If millions of Star Wars fans across the globe took from the movies what those books, games and the like represented, for decades, then how can it be a misunderstanding? Clearly that's what Star Wars is to an awful lot of people and the only thing that has changed is what Disney wants Star Wars to mean.
No, that was not the substance of his argument. Maybe read it? It was about one moment, not about some core concept of all of Star wars.

Do you really disagree with that take? It seems quite obviously true.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your fixation on "love" makes no sense at all (even if she clearly has feelings for him). Rose didn't save Finn because she loves him. She saved him because he was literally going to kill himself for no reason and because they're stronger together, without trying to go out on a suicide run, against the wishes of others, against the command and agreement of the rest of the resistance. Holdo's wasn't defying the resistance, and it wasn't to do a suicide run. She talked to and agreed with Leia that staying behind was the best move so that the FO didn't get suspicious when it seemed like no one was piloting the cruiser.

We either respond to what the language of the film is telling us or just hard logic. You're arguing that logically finn's speeder wouldn't have destroyed the laser (even though the movie made it seem like this would work). Okay. Well, I mean, logically Rose should have gotten herself killed with that high speed speeder collision. Both of them should be dead from that. So now what you're telling me is that Rose decided to needlessly kill herself to stop Finn from needlessly killing himself. If a high speed speeder collision doesn't kill anyone because movie logic, driving a speeder into a giant video game laser as it's about to fire should destroy the laser. Have you ever seen independence day? This is what we're made to think. And going back to hard logic for a sec if you start using hard logic on everything in this movie you're just opening a much greater can of worms (see the Holdo lightspeed trick again). You either live by logic or you don't. You can't have both.

So any angle i approach this from it's just dumb, and we're only in this situation because the characters are incredibly dumb to begin with. It's a long series of dumb decisions that got us here. And I don't care if a character in a movie is dumb, but the movie itself doesn't treat them as though they're dumb. Finn never seems to acknowledge that his incredibly bad judgement is what directly resulted in the deaths of most of the rebels. He should be wracked with guilt and everyone should be wanting to strangle him, but instead everyone's hugging. I hate this movie.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
i laughed at this lame ass goku shit when it came on screen

but thats just me, people are ofc free to feel however they wish
It's not a coincidence that the imagery is almost an exact recreation of one of the first comics that came out after ROTJ.

We either respond to what the language of the film is telling us or just hard logic. You're arguing that logically finn's speeder wouldn't have destroyed the laser (even though the movie made it seem like this would work).
Film literally has several shots showing Finn's speeder getting destroyed as he gets closer and closer. The only character who thought it would work was Finn.

Have you ever seen independence day? This is what we're made to think.
The existence of other movies has no bearing on the logic presented in TLJ. Especially since it goes out of it's way to directly talk about things we're conditioned to expect from action adventure films. Such as, literally a suicide run that in this instance wouldn't have worked.

So any angle i approach this from it's just dumb, and we're only in this situation because the characters are incredibly dumb to begin with. It's a long series of dumb decisions that got us here. And I don't care if a character in a movie is dumb, but the movie itself doesn't treat them as though they're dumb. Finn never seems to acknowledge that his incredibly bad judgement is what directly resulted in the deaths of most of the rebels.
The typical SW infiltration plan literally gets almost everyone killed and you think the movie doesn't present said plan as dumb compared to the one Holdo came up with which would've have worked had the younger characters just humbly accepted the orders they were given?

Last edited:

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is actually the most bad ass moment a character ever had in any Star Wars movie till today tbh. And Luke didn't just die, Luke saved the galaxy again and had the most incredible ending a character ever had in this franchise.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Hottake but the new trilogy is the best the series has ever been. I'm excited for the Finale. But something in my gut tells me there is no way Kylo Ren has a satisfying conclusion.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
We either respond to what the language of the film is telling us or just hard logic. You're arguing that logically finn's speeder wouldn't have destroyed the laser (even though the movie made it seem like this would work). Okay. Well, I mean, logically Rose should have gotten herself killed with that high speed speeder collision. Both of them should be dead from that. So now what you're telling me is that Rose decided to needlessly kill herself to stop Finn from needlessly killing himself. If a high speed speeder collision doesn't kill anyone because movie logic, driving a speeder into a giant video game laser as it's about to fire should destroy the laser. Have you ever seen independence day? This is what we're made to think.

So any angle i approach this from it's just dumb, and we're only in this situation because the characters are incredibly dumb to begin with. It's a long series of dumb decisions that got us here. And I don't care if a character in a movie is dumb, but the movie itself doesn't treat them as though they're dumb. Finn never seems to acknowledge that his incredibly bad judgement is what directly resulted in the deaths of most of the rebels. He should be wracked with guilt and everyone should be wanting to strangle him, but instead everyone's hugging. I hate this movie.
No, this is false. The film is showing you, through visual storytelling, that Finn's plan will not work. There is a deliberate shot that shows his speeder crunching like a tin can. All of Finn's friends are telling him it's over, to retreat. Poe called him back.. after learning that selfishly being a hero isn't the right way to lead.

I mean, Rey, Luke, Finn, Poe, Rose all fucked up majorly in one way or another in this film. That makes them human, not stupid. I'm not really sure why you think everyone is dumb.

I'm not a huge fan of the way the Rose save was written, it's pretty clunky, but it's weird to extrapolate that into a generalization of all the characters in the film.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, this is false. The film is showing you, through visual storytelling, that Finn's plan will not work. There is a deliberate shot that shows his speeder crunching like a tin can. All of Finn's friends are telling him it's over, to retreat. Poe called him back.. after learning that selfishly being a hero isn't the right way to lead.

I mean, Rey, Luke, Finn, Poe, Rose all fucked up majorly in one way or another in this film. That makes them human, not stupid. I'm not really sure why you think everyone is dumb.

They're human and stupid. Trusting a guy you met in prison who sounds like a snake makes you stupid. But stupid is fine. I don't think characters being dumb means the movie is bad. It's the reaction to it that's wrong. No one seems at all affected by their bad decisions and failures leading to the death of their friends. No one cares. It's bizarre. To compare this movie to a competent one for a sec -- In Empire Strikes Back, when Luke and Leia fail to save Han they're sad about it. They're not cheering and having a great time. Finn didn't only fail, he exercised terrible judgement and directly caused the deaths of hundreds of rebels and he doesn't seem to care. Everyone's having a blast!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Except here Luke does the exact opposite of what he did in that comic, instead of being action hero badass cool man who does all the things he resolved the conflict without killing a single soul.

They're human and stupid. Trusting a guy you met in prison who sounds like a snake makes you stupid. But stupid is fine. I don't think characters being dumb means the movie is bad. It's the reaction to it that's wrong. No one seems at all affected by their bad decisions and failures leading to the death of their friends. No one cares. It's bizarre.
They react by making different decisions that they wouldn't have made at the film's start. Poe for example wouldn't have called a retreat. You're literally berating characters expressing relief that they're alive.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
This is actually the most bad ass moment a character ever had in any Star Wars movie till today tbh. And Luke didn't just die, Luke saved the galaxy again and had the most incredible ending a character ever had in this franchise.
It would've worked better if we had 90 mins of Luke being a badass proceeding it much like Han had in TFA. Not a TLJ hater but I see why a lot of people didn't enjoy and how it could've been less divisive.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
They're human and stupid. Trusting a guy you met in prison who sounds like a snake makes you stupid. But stupid is fine. I don't think characters being dumb means the movie is bad. It's the reaction to it that's wrong. No one seems at all affected by their bad decisions and failures leading to the death of their friends. No one cares. It's bizarre.
..I'm not really sure how you can say that no one has been impacted by their decisions. You'd have to try hard not to pay attention to any of the plot/characterizations to get there.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would've worked better if we had 90 mins of Luke being a badass proceeding it much like Han had in TFA. Not a TLJ hater but I see why a lot of people didn't enjoy and how it could've been less divisive.

You could double those 90 mins of Han being a bad ass in TFA and it still doesn't come close to Luke's final 10 minutes. It's about impact, not screen time.

Oct 28, 2017
They're human and stupid. Trusting a guy you met in prison who sounds like a snake makes you stupid. But stupid is fine. I don't think characters being dumb means the movie is bad. It's the reaction to it that's wrong. No one seems at all affected by their bad decisions and failures leading to the death of their friends. No one cares. It's bizarre. To compare this movie to a competent one for a sec -- In Empire Strikes Back, when Luke and Leia fail to save Han they're sad about it. They're not cheering and having a great time. Finn didn't only fail, he exercised terrible judgement and directly caused the deaths of hundreds of rebels and he doesn't seem to care. Everyone's having a blast!

They... didn't leave jail with him. They went their separate ways and DJ shows up with BB8 to save them after they were out of options.. their ship was destroyed. They were kinda stuck and the fleet was fast running out of fuel.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
..I'm not really sure how you can say that no one has been impacted by their decisions. You'd have to try hard not to pay attention to any of the plot/characterizations to get there.

The movie is just tonally wrong. If your characters got most of their friends killed directly through their bad decisions, the language of the movie should be very sad. We should have somber music and scenes of characters sitting around in stunned silence. Not adventurous upbeat music, people wooing and having a blast, hugging, laughing, and cheering. Am I the only one who thinks this? Isn't this just obvious shit?

Let's compare to another competent movie, but this time a contemporary one. In Infinity War, when half the world dies, the remaining characters aren't wooing and cheering and hugging because they're relieved to be alive. They're sitting around in stunned silence and the movie ends on a somber note. If Tony Stark and Captain America were hugging, smiling, and cheering at the end of Infinity War everyone would be shocked at how tonally wrong the film is. That's how I feel about TLJ, yet it has a bunch of defenders. I can't.