• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
8TWJACw.jpg

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....

8djYxv8.jpg
DEVELOPER: Raven Software
Vicarious Visions (Xbox)
PUBLISHER: LucasArts
RELEASE: November 18, 2003 (Original); April 26, 2018 (Xbox One Backwards Compatibility)
LANGUAGE: English, French, German, Spanish
GENRE: First-Person Shooter, Third-Person Shooter, Hack and Slash
MODE: Single-player and Multiplayer
PRICE: $9.99

Now you may be wondering where Ben Solo is or when you are going to see Rey or if Maz will make an exclusive appearance to see your player character. The thing is, they don't exist here! That's right! We are going to enter a strange world known as:

Ol1Yrdy.jpg
"After Star Wars was released, it became apparent that my story—however many films it took to tell—was only one of thousands that could be told about the characters who inhabit its galaxy. But these were not stories that I was destined to tell. Instead, they would spring from the imagination of other writers, inspired by the glimpse of a galaxy that Star Wars provided. Today, it is an amazing, if unexpected, legacy of Star Wars that so many gifted writers are contributing new stories to the Saga."
- George Lucas

Now known as Star Wars Legends, the Expanded Universe (or EU for short) compassed ever single book, video game, published work, etc outside of the then six movies and the Clone Wars series all into one. Basically everything made until April 25, 2014 when the House of Mouse took the reins. The content in the EU explores and continues the stories told in the films, taking place anywhere from over 36,000 years before The Phantom Menace to 136 years after Return of the Jedi! In this magical place, Luke Skywalker made his Jedi Academy and was pretty darn successful for a while! He married a girl named Mara Jade and had a kid named Ben (not that Ben!) Skywalker. Han Solo and Leia also got together and gave birth to three kids: Jaina, Jacen (the Ben Solo of the EU), and Anakin. There were some crazy aliens named the Yuuzahn Vong, and it seemed like the cycle of Jedi vs Sith would never end.

According to Wookiepedia: The Expanded Universe had a continuity with few wrinkles. The general rule was that nothing in the Expanded Universe was allowed to contradict any other part of the Expanded Universe or the films. The films, however, do slightly contradict the Expanded Universe on occasion, and retcons were created in the Expanded Universe to fix these contradictions. In the absence of such ad hoc solutions, the EU is considered incorrect only on the particular points of contradiction.

Sounds fun right? It was pretty fun to be honest! But the problem was that there was so much going on that it was hard to determine what was really canon and what wasn't! Many fans took sides in forming what they believed was the "true" Star Wars canon by sifting through all of the content. Looking back on all of this, it makes sense as to why Disney retconned all of it to form their own canon storyline.

All right there's your history lesson! Now back to the game!

8EHz8t7.jpg

Ten years after the Battle
of Endor, the IMPERIAL
REMNANT continues to
be driven back by the
NEW REPUBLIC, forcing
the Imperials to adopt
increasingly desperate
tactics in the ongoing
struggle.

Meanwhile, Jedi Master
LUKE SKYWALKER
moves to restore the
JEDI to their formal place
as peacekeepers of the
galaxy at his JEDI
ACADEMY on Yavin 4.

JADEN KORR, a
promising student from
Coruscant, is en route to
the Academy after
achieving the impossible:
creating a lightsaber
without any formal Jedi
training…

2 years after the events of Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, a new student named Jaden Korr along with some other hopefuls are heading to Yavin 4 where they will begin their training to become Jedi Knights. Along the way, they are attacked by a mysterious organization known as the Disciples of Ragnos, a Sith cult. Jaden, and his new friend Rosh Penin, must work their way to get to the Jedi Temple where Master Luke Skywalker awaits. There, Jaden meets his new Jedi Master named Kyle Katarn. The rest is up to you....oh, and, there are two endings. You'll find out more about them as you play on.

Ud6XDwH.jpg

Jaden Korr:

jadenkorr3_zps22eb7091.png

"Are these even the right Jawas?"
A thirteen year old child prodigy from Coruscant, Jaden Korr is one of the newest students attending the Jedi Academy. He (or she. Actually you can choose to be a male and female human, male Kel-Dor, male Rodian, female Twi-lek or a female Zabrak) is full of raw talent and is ready to learn the ways of the force from Master Katarn. Don't make him mad please.

Some of y'all complain about Rey being a Mary Sue? This dude is THE Mary Sue lol! I still think he's amazing though so don't @ me!

Rosh Penin:
rosh_penin.jpg

"Jaden hey! I'm stuck! Can you help?"
He's Rosh. He's annoying and he's pretty selfish at times too. You'll get mad at him plenty of times. But please be forgiving when it really counts. Any of you played "Tony Hawk's Underground"? Remember Eric Sparrow? Rosh is basically his Star Wars equivalent.

Kyle Katarn:
04_kyle_katarn.jpg

"Kyle Katarn, at your service. Welcome to a day in the life of a Jedi."
Originally the star of the Jedi Knight and Dark Forces video games, he is now serving a role as your mentor in the third iteration. Remember the cast of Rogue One? Kyle doesn't. Cause in this timeline, he was the one that originally stole the Death Star plans for Bail and Leia Organa. He's actually a really cool guy who has seen his fair share of happiness and grief. The last thing he did before he became a teacher was bringing down Desann and the Reborn forces.

Luke Skywalker:
luke.jpg

"I sense a disturbance in the Force."
Yep. That's Luke! Since Ben Solo didn't destroy the Jedi Academy (cause he doesn't exist here), Luke was able to form a new Jedi Academy and train many potential Jedi Knights. He is known as the Grand Master of the New Jedi Order. But other than that, it's the same Luke! Just more wiser.

NfQB6MY.jpg
Jedi Academy is a first and third-person shooter game. You as Jaden Korr can wield a variety of weapons such as blasters as well as lightsabers and use Force powers. You can choose a perspective for every weapon except for the lightsaber, which can only be used in third person view. You have a health meter and a shield meter, which are replenished separately but can be quickened by specific force powers. You have access to a variety of Force powers in addition to your lightsaber. Powers include Push, Pull, Jump, Heal, Lightning, and other abilities. Force powers are categorized into core, Light (defensive) and Dark (offensive), and each Force power has three ranks, with the power increasing in effectiveness with each rank. In both single-player and multiplayer, players choose how to rank up their powers, adding a layer of customization. During gameplay, the "Force meter" is what lets you use your powers. It gets depleted when powers are used, and recharges when no powers are in use.

Jedi Academy is mainly focused on saber combat. You can make your own custom lightsaber with a hilt and with one of five blade colors! Later on as your progress, you can choose to wield a single saber, or upgrade to dual sabers, or get a double-bladed lightsaber which also adds a kicking ability unavailable with any other lightsaber. The different sabers each have unique styles and special moves. When using a single saber, Jaden can choose between three stances which affect the speed and power of attacks; if using dual sabers, you can switch off the second saber and use the "Fast"-style single-saber stance, or if using a double-bladed saber, you can switch the staff into a single-bladed saber that uses the "Medium"-style saber stance.

q5FbcbA.jpg
This is where the fun begins! Multiplayer is basically taking your avatar or choosing a variety of already available characters like Luke or Desann, and going to town with other players! Unfortunately since Xbox Live is down you can't really play online but you can still play with system link! There IS a way to play online using something called XLink Kai though.

There are a variety of maps to choose from. You also have multiple playable modes like Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, and Power Duel. You can choose to fight alone or fight in teams! And if you have no one around, then you can play around with bots! Bots can have different difficulty levels and can be any character you want. And just like the single player mode, you can choose to import the Jaden Korr that you use and play with him/her.

pc-44293-41337793033.jpg

903475203.jpg

255372_scr4_a.png

Star_Wars_Jedi_Knight_Jedi_Academy_%2528PC%2529_04.png

Star_Wars_Jedi_Knight_Jedi_Academy_%2528PC%2529_03.png

Screen-Shot-2016-12-11-at-8.27.14-PM-620x388.png

Last edited:

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
What year is it?!

Big fan of those games, played a lot of multiplayer of JA and played JO singleplayer for like 2 months straight ;p

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Played a lot of the demo for Academy but never got into it like I did Outcast. A $10 BC purchase seems a perfect way to rectify that.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Nice topic hahahaha. What a trip down memory lane...

Anyway, yes this was a gem that I lost so many hours to, especially on PC when I discovered mods. I can only hope that one day, we'll get a game as awesome as this one was...

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Wow great thread! I might actually play this. But I usually play Outcast and Academy on PC. It'll be weird doing it with a controller.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, this was my JAM back in the day.

I remember I got some special edition or something that came in a tin with a little light up lightsaber.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I put a billion hours into this and Outcast back in the day on PC. Had a controller in my left hand, mouse in my right. One of the games I was so good at, that I was consistently accused of cheating.

Glad to see people are still playing it.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
I'm in as soon as I get home. I only played the PC version so I'm mostly interested in how it feels with a controller.

Stoked that it has split screen multiplayer.

I never got into Outcast. I found the level design to be far too confusing and most of my time was spent wandering around the map desperately trying to find what door was open.

Edit: The game does not have splitscreen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
So I goofed up! I thought that the new batch of Xbox One Original Xbox games were releasing today! It's actually coming out this Thursday! My bad!

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outcast was the best of the four games, but they were all great. Academy the weakest though.

How did the console versions run compared to PC?

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
This is a neat little game that still holds up to this day. Played it on PC not too long ago.

The dialog is atrocious, but it's fun to play. They did a good job of making the different levels feel different from one another whether it be from an art standpoint or the gameplay. Recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it yet.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bonus: if your Jaden Korr is female, she'll be voiced by Jennifer Hale. If you squint real hard, you can live your "Commander Shepard meets Luke Skywalker" dreams!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Jaden Korr is black, OP. Get your facts straight! Also, PC mod support for this game is insane and still going to this day.

I love this OT.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
I rarely ever pick the evil option in games because it's typically just pointlessly edgy and dumb, but I've played through Jedi Academy a good half dozen times and I've never gone Light Side. The choice that leads to the Dark Side is just obviously correct.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is basically what I'm hoping at least one of the upcoming EA Star Wars games is. A new version of this formula.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
Academy was alright. I always enjoyed Outcast more for its level design and linearity, but I've got a soft spot for running around as a half naked Twi'lek Jedi badass slaying hordes of Sith fodder with a dual-blade lightsaber.

Multiplayer is another story, though. Jedi Academy with the Movie Battles II mod is absolute bliss.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I rarely ever pick the evil option in games because it's typically just pointlessly edgy and dumb, but I've played through Jedi Academy a good half dozen times and I've never gone Light Side. The choice that leads to the Dark Side is just obviously correct.

Fuck you, Rosh. He's right up there with Eric from THUG. How can you not ice his ass?

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
Loved these games remember them controlling like ass on Xbox though. So I'd definitely recommend the pc. Versions particularly for mods if you can manage the pc version.

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
This is probably a stupid question, but is it 4:3 aspect ratio? No way to get it 16:9? I thought split screen multiplayer did not exist? At least according to this
Shoot I forgot to add that part sorry!

According to Wikipedia, it is indeed possible to choose 16:9. It's one of the games that supports it.

I used to own the Xbox copy long ago and I genuinely thought it did have split screen multiplayer. Oh well. I'll edit that out.

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome OT. I loved this whole series from Dark Forces to JK:DF2 to JK:JO to JK:JA. The naming convention was weird but I didn't care.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shoot I forgot to add that part sorry!

According to Wikipedia, it is indeed possible to choose 16:9. It's one of the games that supports it.

I used to own the Xbox copy long ago and I genuinely thought it did have split screen multiplayer. Oh well. I'll edit that out.
Maybe you're thinking of Battlefront II? Very interested on features for that and this game and will keep an eye out. What's weird is that I did a quick search and I swear someone said Jedi Academy did have split screen multiplayer. We'll know in a few days

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
Academy was alright. I always enjoyed Outcast more for its level design and linearity, but I've got a soft spot for running around as a half naked Twi'lek Jedi badass slaying hordes of Sith fodder with a dual-blade lightsaber.

While I like the complexity of the level design in the way you find yourself in rooms you were in previously in Outcast I constantly found myself having to run to every door trying to find which way I was supposed to go. I usually wasted at least half an hour each level if not more just wasting time. I also remember having a poor experience with the autosave system having poor checkpoint intervals.

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Maybe you're thinking of Battlefront II? Very interested on features for that and this game and will keep an eye out. What's weird is that I did a quick search and I swear someone said Jedi Academy did have split screen multiplayer. We'll know in a few days
Well I'm also working on the Battlefront 1 and 2 OT so you'll see it on this forum soon! I'm combining both so that it would be easier. I just can't think of a good OT title for those games lol.

I was just checking around and apparently Jedi Academy on the Xbox DOES support splitscreen multiplayer! You just can't do Live and splitscreen at the same time. The Xbox 360 BC apparently had a bug where you couldn't play multiplayer at all.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
This game.....

I liked it a lot, but it's a little broken. If you pick force lightning for powers after your first three missions, it kinda breaks the rest of the game.

This and Jedi Outcast were ahead of their times as far as the melee combat goes tho.

furikuri

Oct 28, 2017
I loved Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. I don't think any other SW game embodies the Jedi concept as well as these games did. The lightsaber combat is reminiscent of fighting games, with its varied methods of attack and emphasis on positioning and technique. Force powers are both satisfying to use and flexible in their uses (grip+kick and grip+push, anyone?). The acrobatics are fun to pull off. The multiplayer level design is sublime. I (slightly) prefer Jedi Outcast, but both games are amazing.

This series deserves another chance.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Jedi outcast was much better, this one felt more like an expansion pack. But yea, they should totally make a new one.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd kill for a star wars games with gameplay like this. It's been so long. I remember going with my friend to blockbuster to rent this and having so much fun playing splitscreen.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
I can't remember if I played this back in the day or not. All the praise on here makes me think I might have to check it out. Curious to see what the X enhancements do to it, cuz those trailers sure look rough in the OP. lol

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best Multiplayer experiences I've ever had. Kind of jealous of xbox players if the manage to get a community resurgence going.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I love this game

Bummed we never got a followup

That dark side ending left the perfect opening for a sequel

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
This game was utterly superb. Still the best implementation of lightsabers and force powers in any game. Fight me.