Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
these all look like they are not powered on, like they are just sitting there waiting for something. shipyard seeded by the empire as part of the contingency
Yeah that's probably a good guess. This could be a scary reveal for the characters who discover them, and then put pressure on them going forward as a sort of ticking clock plot.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
A fleet of Star Destroyers that actually aren't manned but are sitting there waiting to be used would be a good way of both selling the danger of a potentially overwhelming threat without also conceding the ridiculousness of the tiny ass Resistance wiping out 100 imperial ships.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
People in the trailer thread are posting their "predictions" that are actually spoilers. Frustrating. I have been trying to avoid as much as possible.
Getting rough out there trying to avoid spoilers. Even the fucking YouTube thumbnails in my recommended feed are potentially alluding to what I think are some of the leaks

D23 footage was great btw. I like my Rey all 'Darkside', even if it is just a false (force?) vision. Regardless, I want that as an action figure!

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the HQ version a few times and, man, oh man, I need to see this thing in a movie theater.

Quite a few good surround sound-y moments, for one.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
A mod needs to sacrifice himself so he ban everyone in that thread doing "predictions".

Or make a shitlist and ban them after the movie is out.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder why there are leaks this time. I feel like with TFA anf TLJ it was pretty easy to avoid spoilers until about a week before release. With this one I am dodging them 4 months out.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
A fleet of dead imperial ships sounds familiar. Wasn't that a plot device in the original thrawn trilogy novels?

The Katana Fleet. Basically a lost fleet from the end days of the Old Republic, sent out on some grandiose expedition that saw it never return. It's not quite the same, but the basic concept of a large fleet hidden somewhere in the farthest reaches of space is a familiar plot device because, well, it's convenient when you want to make an otherwise small faction a suddenly legitimate threat.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The Katana Fleet. Basically a lost fleet from the end days of the Old Republic, sent out on some grandiose expedition that saw it never return. It's not quite the same, but the basic concept of a large fleet hidden somewhere in the farthest reaches of space is a familiar plot device because, well, it's convenient when you want to make an otherwise small faction a suddenly legitimate threat.
Ah yes. It's coming back to me now. Thanks!

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why there are leaks this time. I feel like with TFA anf TLJ it was pretty easy to avoid spoilers until about a week before release. With this one I am dodging them 4 months out.

There were always leaks, though less for TLJ. TFA had a ton, but Internet folks weren't as spiteful towards Star Wars back then.

These days, I'm seeing a lot more "Hey check out this leak I found somewhere *posts screed that is 75% legit MSW leaks, 25% trolling bullshit*" It's insidious.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes. It's coming back to me now. Thanks!

Now, this general idea - of a fleet specifically sent out to be hidden - wouldn't gel so well in this specific instance because... well... it's the origin of the First Order. 'The Emperor sent them to hide out in a remote part of the galaxy to then be called on later' has been done by our main villains. I mean, redundancy is possible, but still...

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now, this general idea - of a fleet specifically sent out to be hidden - wouldn't gel so well in this specific instance because... well... it's the origin of the First Order. 'The Emperor sent them to hide out in a remote part of the galaxy to then be called on later' has been done by our main villains. I mean, redundancy is possible, but still...
It's the Second Order

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
There were always leaks, though less for TLJ. TFA had a ton, but Internet folks weren't as spiteful towards Star Wars back then.

These days, I'm seeing a lot more "Hey check out this leak I found somewhere *posts screed that is 75% legit MSW leaks, 25% trolling bullshit*" It's insidious.
also, while I wasn't seeking out spoilers in the pre-TFA days, I imagine a lot of the TFA leaks were storyboards, concept art, etc. for stuff that never ended up happening or got misinterpreted (e.g. evil Luke). TROS has a shorter production schedule and, being the third in a trilogy, has a lot less room for brainstorming all-over-the-place shit that goes nowhere.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Nice trailer, but yeah, the swiss army lightsaber lol. Looks stupid with it being ignited already as she is flipping it open. XD But hey, can't wait for this movie.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't want to know the details but has the whole movie leaked again, like what happened with the TFA shooting script? TLJ never had many major leaks.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if the selection of OT/PT clips in this trailer is meant to allude to specific people/things that will be revisited in IX? There's a shot of Lando, a shot of the second Death Star, a shot of Palpatine - All returning. A shot of Darth Maul, and we know there's a double-bladed red lightsaber here.

But Qui-Gon, Anakin, Obi-Wan? Could that be alluding to potential Neeson, Hayden, and Ewan cameos? Mace Windu? Shmi and Padme seem less likely but maybe?

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I'm wondering if the selection of OT/PT clips in this trailer is meant to allude to specific people/things that will be revisited in IX? There's a shot of Lando, a shot of the second Death Star, a shot of Palpatine - All returning. A shot of Darth Maul, and we know there's a double-bladed red lightsaber here.

But Qui-Gon, Anakin, Obi-Wan? Could that be alluding to potential Neeson, Hayden, and Ewan cameos? Mace Windu? Shmi and Padme seem less likely but maybe?
I wouldn't count on it but only Hayden, maybeeeeeeee

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Liam Neeson has already reprised his role as Force ghost Qui-Gon in Clone Wars and Ewan just signed on for a show as Obi-Wan so both of them are clearly willing to return to the fold if needed.

I'm hoping Qui-Gon shows up again. Really want to see him teaching Obi-Wan to become one with the force.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017

Nah I don't think so, seems like they contracted out for that part of the reel, anyway:

Won't deny there are some real choice shot pairings in the editing, though. Sheev's raising his arms, then a cut to a closeup of Kylo? :chefskiss:

This little bit, too, was striking as hell:

HQPSOdt.gif

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Every time I watch The Phantom Menace, my heart breaks for poor Shmi Skywalker. Just abandoned by capable people that could have rescued her at any time, doomed to be a slave her entire life, finally finds love, gets tortured and murdered by Tusken Raiders.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Nah I don't think so, seems like they contracted out for that part of the reel, anyway:

Won't deny there are some real choice shot pairings in the editing, though. Sheev's raising his arms, then a cut to a closeup of Kylo? :chefskiss:

This little bit, too, was striking as hell:

HQPSOdt.gif

If not already mentioned that's a new shot of Rey with Leia's hand which is from the same scene as the TFA teaser

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I just posted this in the Off-Topic thread, but I know many of you are avoiding that thread so I thought I'd post it here too:

I have followed up my monstrous teaser breakdown with a fittingly huge breakdown of this footage. Here's a preview:

And this isn't just any Resistance fleet. This is a greatest hits fleet! X-Wings! Y-Wings! A-Wings! A blockade runner! There are even B-Wings! J.J. is taking out all the fun toys and playing with them. It's the end of the saga, no use in letting them collect dust. And on the right side, there appears to be a brand new ship, looking vaguely like the Outrider, Dash Rendar's ship from Shadows of the Empire, the big mid-1990s multimedia event from the old Star Wars EU. Though if that dime store Han Solo knockoff Dash Rendar actually appears I'll eat my fancy Cleveland Indians hat. Also, we saw a ship battle in a hazy sky featuring at least A-Wings in the teaser. This might be the beginning of that.

Finn and newcomer Jannah do not look happy about this. They appear to be in the cockpit of one of the Resistance ships. It looks a little like the Falcon, but I don't think it is. For one, this cockpit looks too big to be the Falcon. The Falcon can only sit two across, this has three. And for another, it has a yoke. The Falcon does not. And it's being piloted by someone wearing some spiffy gloves. Maybe this is that new ship from the Resistance fleet shot. If so, I think my hat is safe: Dash Rendar would never wear those gloves. His style is more "broke 90s frat boy on a ski trip." Anyway, there's a battle going on outside as you can just make out a green laser blast speeding by the fuselage of a B-Wing.

Bonus: I mention in the article that I think the two shots of our heroes on the desert planet Pasaana are flopped and will appear the opposite way in the final film. Well, here's what that would look like:

There's a very rough speculated timeline of the film in there. I promise you I know nothing spoiler-y and only used officially released, widely available information to construct it.

Status
Not open for further replies.