• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Ima be bummed if the reveal happens while I'm at work, I wanna see that shizzle livizzle.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Hope they live stream all of the panels like the last two celebrations. I can pretty much sit at my computer and have free star wars entertainment all weekend. Make an event out of it.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
My theory is that C-3PO orchestrated the whole saga from the sidelines. He helped push Anakin to the Dark Side. He's been spying on the Rebels the whole time. And now is the moment for Rey to finish the true Emperor.

Star Wars: Revenge of the Droids

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Hope they live stream all of the panels like the last two celebrations. I can pretty much sit at my computer and have free star wars entertainment all weekend. Make an event out of it.
Didn't they not live stream a handful of panels like time? I remember being annoyed that some of them weren't being shown.

I also remember the art panel having a terrible set up so no one watching it could see the art. lol

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Didn't they not live stream a handful of panels like time? I remember being annoyed that some of them weren't being shown.

I also remember the art panel having a terrible set up so no one watching it could see the art. lol
Oh of course, they don't stream everything, and not all of the panels stream equally well. But most of the bigger panels on the main stage work really well. You can find tons of archives on YT from the previous years. I've been surprised that they do it all for free. They could probably charge for it like Blizzcon does for online access and SW fans would eat it up (I shouldn't give them any ideas)

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My theory is that C-3PO orchestrated the whole saga from the sidelines. He helped push Anakin to the Dark Side. He's been spying on the Rebels the whole time. And now is the moment for Rey to finish the true Emperor.

Star Wars: Revenge of the Droids

(time stamp 15:30)

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Watching A New Hope on TNT. Shoutout to Luke Skywalker's aunt Beru for being the only person in Star Wars rocking the blue jean jacket look. #icon

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I still maintain that that's not a costume but just the jacket the actress had on that day.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah, I had the same exacts thoughts leading to the movie. I love Mark but he's not really the greatest actor ever, you know. His performance surprised me by just how goddamn good it was, he was able to go toe to toe with great actors like Daisy and Adam and not seem out of place.

I've probably said this a billion times now but his performance is fantastic when he's telling Rey what really happened in the hut.

Daisy's not that great of an actress. She's serviceable but she's not Adam, that's for sure.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how everyone on Tatooine in ANH just kind of dresses like regular hippy youth from the 70s. It really emphasizes how it was supposed to be basically small-town America.

RavenGear

Oct 27, 2017
The season finale for Resistance was really good, the series have been consistently more enjoyable for me than Rebels early seasons. Resistance really benefits from focusing on its own story and character in a less explored time frame, movie characters side adventures and Dave Filonis weird force lore have never interested me as much.

OP
OP
WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I finally got around to finishing Thrawn Alliances this week. It turns out being bedridden with flu is handy for getting through old books.

My feelings echo most of the others I've read in older iterations of this thread . A definite downgrade after Thrawn. The structure is quite repetitive with Anakin and Thrawn turning up at Batuu, then Padme, then Vader and Thrawn. I was intrigued by the main mystery the book sets up, but ultimately it felt quite underwhelming. I'd be up for seeing more of the Grysks again though.

The squabbling between Vader and Thrawn was definitely the highlight of the book. I'm hoping for more from Treason though.

RavenGear

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got around to finishing Thrawn Alliances this week. It turns out being bedridden with flu is handy for getting through old books.

My feelings echo most of the others I've read in older iterations of this thread . A definite downgrade after Thrawn. The structure is quite repetitive with Anakin and Thrawn turning up at Batuu, then Padme, then Vader and Thrawn. I was intrigued by the main mystery the book sets up, but ultimately it felt quite underwhelming. I'd be up for seeing more of the Grysks again though.

The squabbling between Vader and Thrawn was definitely the highlight of the book. I'm hoping for more from Treason though.
I wish the author weren't so hesitant to portray Thrawn and the Empire in a bad light, non of the other canon books shys away from showing how amoral the Empire is at its core. Rebels handeld it better and straight up called out Thrawns warmongering and colonialism.

Oct 27, 2017

I'm finally almost done myself. It finally started getting me interested and page turning when the mysteries were revealed. Like okay there's a point to this finally. But man getting there (at least 2/3s of the book) was tough.

Speaking of which...

Chiss force sensitivity restrictions are kinda stupid and conflict with my entire concept of the force being this universal energy and not just a generic term for magic that comes in different forms. I mean there's light and dark but I guess chiss are like the "techno side" or something? Idk... Maybe I need to finish the book to understand it better. Or maybe Thrawn is lying. Hopefully it's that.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yo we got people saying Ridley ain't as good as Driver? That she's not that good of an actress and that she's.. serviceable?

Fuck all that.

She was a little tight in TFA in the beginning portions of the movie with some of her line delivery (her tenseness was noted by herself and other cast members in EP7). But aside from a few scenes she's easily been as good as Driver in the ST. All of the torture sequence.. her confrontation with Kylo at the end of TFA..

She was nothing short of phenomenal throughout TLJ.

You all disappoint me.

Oct 28, 2017
Yo we got people saying Ridley ain't as good as Driver? That she's not that good of an actress and that she's.. serviceable?

Fuck all that.

She was a little tight in TFA in the beginning portions of the movie with some of her line delivery (her tenseness was noted by herself and other cast members in EP7). But aside from a few scenes she's easily been as good as Driver in the ST. All of the torture sequence.. her confrontation with Kylo at the end of TFA..

You all disappoint me.

It's funny even though I loved the chemistry and energy Abrams got from the cast in TFA (which really should NOT be underestimated), I do think RJ got better performances overall from the ensemble.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's funny even though I loved the chemistry and energy Abrams got from the cast in TFA (which really should NOT be underestimated), I do think RJ got better performances overall from the ensemble.
They're both good directors. It's a little unfair to compare IMO because naturally the crew is going to feel more comfortable with the project and with each other. Not to discredit RJ because he did a phenomenal job with the actors.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good finale for Resistance, though it was ridiculous that
neither Kaz nor Jarek told Tam about Hosnian Prime when they were trying to convince her to stay.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Remember. RJ got an amazing performance out of Bruce Willis in Looper.

Which is pretty amazing these days.

OP
OP
WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I wish the author weren't so hesitant to portray Thrawn and the Empire in a bad light, non of the other canon books shys away from showing how amoral the Empire is at its core. Rebels handeld it better and straight up called out Thrawns warmongering and colonialism.
There is a pretty clear difference between the two portrayals. I remember it feeling quite jarring going from Thrawn in Zahn's first canon novel to his appearance in Rebels. At times you almost forget he's supposed to be a villain when reading the books.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fuck all that.

You all disappoint me.

Agreed. I think people tend to notice it a bit more with Driver because his character is more emotionally conflicted. But if Ridley had played Kyla Ren or whatever she would have been just as impressive as Driver.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Driver also has a much different personality than Star Wars has ever had on screen before. Most villains in SW are cold, calculating and cruel. There's only like 30 minutes tops when Anakin lets real hate flow, but the rest of the series is just masterminds. An angry, out of control villain is a new thing for the series and Driver does it so well that it's no wonder he gets most of the attention.

b811b9990a0599b8f66f167f78df11f4.gif
tenor.gif
eb178e28945e4b832f0dcce7aa56eac6.gif

tumblr_inline_pcnfhy1rOm1ta7jh3_500.gif

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I think Daisy does the most she can do with the character, especially in VIII, where she really sold her character's internal struggles. Mark and Adam have the showiest scenes (and honestly some of the better written ones) so they shine through the most. I think everyone is good though. John was probably my favorite actor in VII, actually. At the end of the day, everyone seems to really enjoy themselves and are having fun.

Which is a stark contrast with how obviously miserable some of the actors are in the Prequel trilogy..

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
This is a different type of observation for a typically male-focused franchise, but they really deserve credit for nailing Rey's makeup. My wife and I both commented during the movie that they did an incredible job making her look gorgeous despite being a character who wouldn't wear stereotypical makeup. Super kudos to that team.

tumblr_ozk0q6fabC1t3n54uo1_540.gif

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
While the episode was pretty good, I don't like the ending of Resistance because it puts them away from the Resistance (I understand they had to since we don't see them in TLJ) which means the the part I think is most interesting about this show, exploring the Resistance, will probably be put in the backburner in season 2 again.[/spoiler]

RavenGear

Oct 27, 2017
While the episode was pretty good, I don't like the ending of Resistance because it puts them away from the Resistance (I understand they had to since we don't see them in TLJ) which means the the part I think is most interesting about this show, exploring the Resistance, will probably be put in the backburner in season 2 again.[/spoiler]
Resistance season one was most likely written some time before TLJ released so they had to play it safe.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Resistance thought: Does this mean that they just essentially forced a shit ton of people into the Resistance? 'Cus most of the people in the platform were hiding and had no idea why it went underwater to begin with.

Kaz is a damn menace.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resistance thought: Does this mean that they just essentially forced a shit ton of people into the Resistance? 'Cus most of the people in the platform were hiding and had no idea why it went underwater to begin with.

Kaz is a damn menace.
Very good point!
Also where the hell are they taking the ship?????

And is it just me or is seeing space around the Colossus just feel more....Star Warsy? I am glad to get out of the ocean with the sunny skies.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kaz is a damn menace.

This will be an excerpt from my upcoming book Tam Did Nothing Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.