Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Jaavik and his mission was the only dlc I've played where it really did feel like it was meant to in the base game but was cut out to be sold separately. There may be others but that's the only time I've encountered that feeling in a game I've personally played.
Because it genuinely was cut content that got sold as an additional add on. Javik was originally gonna be cut from the game entirely due to time constraints and then at the last minute, and I do mean last minute as they finished it during certification, they completed and sold it separately/part of collector's. If you play Legendary Edition it becomes extremely apparent that he was meant to be part of the game.

Me3 was worse. That content was sold as exclusive to the collectors edition and would not be later sold. You had to buy the collectors edition to see it.

Speaking as one of the chumps that purchased it just for that extra content. Twice. (It was exclusive to Game in the UK, and when they went into administration I had to pre order again elsewhere.)
A good comparison would be the Kasumi dlc for ME2. It is so inconsequential to what's actually relevant to the story and self contained, though still fun you never feel like "Damn they cut this from the game" vs. Javik who was cut content that got finished and sold, with there being a discernible difference between people who have that character and people who don't.

Ubisoft deliberately avoids this sort of situation because they tend to be forward thinking when it comes to

"What do we do post launch and what could get people to buy the season pass?"
They've had it on lock for more than a decade at this point. Like the model is there and they're literally my go to for whenever people imply that a SP focused game can't simultaneously be a GAAS:
EPQTKpy.gif

It would be like saying "The Vlad The Impaler content in Assassin's Creed Revelations, (2011 btw), is crucial to the experience"

Last edited:

I Fall

Dec 31, 2023
Brazil
That uh...not how this works. The poster you quoted was on the mark, this is content created for the sake of the season pass not something that otherwise would've been put in the game and then chopped off.

That's pretty much exactly what they said.

Maybe what the other user meant was that they should have announced the mission after the game launches. This way some gamers couldn't complain about it.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
How much is this session pass on its own lol? It seems like it must be 50 but that seems an insane cost for a season pass. Almost as much as the game itself.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
So we've gone from $60 to $70 but now you need to have the uber edition to get the true day one experience? I don't even mean getting early access, I mean they are locking off content unless you pay them more.

Fuck this garbage.

Some companies have basically started selling their games for more than double what they did last gen.

If you factor in inflation and the increased cost of game development, AAA games should probably cost $100.

Raising the base price even more is not something the market would accept, so we get more DLCs and microtransactions.

The other option is to fire even more people, reduce the labor cost and make smaller less graphicaly complex games.

shacklecat

Nov 14, 2017
So we've gone from $60 to $70 but now you need to have the uber edition to get the true day one experience? I don't even mean getting early access, I mean they are locking off content unless you pay them more.

Fuck this garbage.

Some companies have basically started selling their games for more than double what they did last gen.
People would rather pay more up front than buy a season pass, so developers invest more up front to get what would otherwise be dlc shipped on day 1. I don't see the problem tbh, it's a side mission not the main quest.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
It sucks when any publisher does this, but the thread is about an upcoming Ubisoft game.

Ubisoft are also infamous for the multiple fan made spreadsheets for their game releases detailing what you actually get in each of the 17 versions of a game they sell you at launch.

Oh, so you are saying it's literally because it's Ubi and isn't actually about the issue at hand?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
1. Ubisoft has been doing this for their games for years
2. These exclusive missions are always, without fail, mediocre
3. The price of Outlaws base game, the season pass, and the Gold Edition, will be 50% off by the holidays.
4. I'm not sure this happens every single time, but Ubi usually makes the exclusive mission available to he unlocked via their account point system.

Like, I get not liking this, but just exercise a bit of patience and critical thinking. I can almost promise you that you're not missing out on anything good, and if you're that incensed about it you will have the opportunity to play it at a cheaper cost if you want later on. Star Wars really brings out the weirdest takes.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe what the other user meant was that they should have announced the mission after the game launches. This way some gamers couldn't complain about it.
If they're gonna advertise a Season Pass I'd like to be informed about what I'd be getting. That honestly begs the question does any dev advertise a season pass post launch?

Oct 25, 2017
I think people's compulsive completionism is blinding them to the fact that no one side mission in an open world game is worth paying for a la carte or worth caring about missing out on in the first place.

It's Ubisoft. The base game will have more than enough content. Too much, probably!

I Fall

Dec 31, 2023
Brazil
If they're gonna advertise a Season Pass I'd like to be informed about what I'd be getting. That honestly begs the question does any dev advertise a season pass post launch?

That's a big part why there's no point to compalim about what Ubi is doing. Maybe some users don't like Season Pass model and want that content announced and sold only after the base game launched.

I'm defending the point here that some people are more sensible to the format, how some publishers deliver content than content itself.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
As always will wait till the game hits bargin sale, Ubisoft games are never worth buying day one, or hell year one of release.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Just wait as others have said, Ubi games go on discount quick and the Ubisoft+ route exists.

Also season passes with extra content have existed for ages, unless the base game is anemic somehow I'm not sure I can bring myself to care too much, especially as you can just wait.

I Fall

Dec 31, 2023
Brazil
I think people's compulsive completionism is blinding them to the fact that no one side mission in an open world game is worth paying for a la carte or worth caring about missing out on in the first place.

It's Ubisoft. The base game will have more than enough content. Too much, probably!

Yes, probably. And next week we will make a thread to complain that those games are bloated with too much content.

Sometimes I fell that we just want to bash companies that have a bad reputation just to be "cool". Company A doing that is BAD. Company B doing that is LOVE.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Aint no way Ubisoft will Survive this year financially. This is another flop in the making

Is this enough to compensate for all the Ubisoft Flops in recent years? Avatar also lost them so much money
haven't followed Ubisoft much at least sales wise in a while

did avatar the game bomb sales wise? not make back it's money?
I think a lot of people know how quick Ubisoft discounts their games and esp every game having a "gold" edition, and those get discounted pretty deep within 2 months

I Fall

Dec 31, 2023
Brazil
Then we just couldn't have known for sure if it was cut from the main game and sold separately. Here it is obvious.

Yes, and then we couldn't fell bad. Anyone here could confirm that any DLC for those triple A big budget games that are darlings of people were not developed alongside with the base game? Or thar they don't cut that portion to sell later? No, nobody can. But we don't have that perception. And that what matters for some people.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Then we just couldn't have known for sure if it was cut from the main game and sold separately. Here it is obvious.
People always make this argument, and it's always stupid. You can't possibly think this came about by Ubisoft looking at a completed, finished game and saying "alright, we need a mission to advertise the season pass, choose one to cut", right? I have to believe people aren't actually thinking that, for my own sanity.

What actually happens is Ubisoft knows exactly what they want to put in the season pass, so during development they'll task some mission designer to make a quick and dirty side quest that they can use as an exclusive quest. This quest was never designed to be critical to the main game, it's purely additive, and almost certainly an afterthought.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I am not so sure anymore after a Far Cry Avatar (yeah its not exactly that, but Far Cry is popular and Avatar as well ... seems like an easy sell but didnt do much) didn't do much in sales. Dunno Ubisoft is having a hard time to find sucess outside AC recently.

Ah, perhaps you are right. But this being Star Wars I don't really think there's cause for concern. I hope things go well because as much as I dislike overpriced editions and other practices that Ubisoft do, I also want to see ambitious single player sci fi games do well because those are pretty much my favourite kind of games.

This is a strawman argument. This thread is going well.

I saw this argument thrown around in another thread just a couple days ago, I'm not inventing strawmen. Also, see the reply just after yours.

Well, to be fair, if the rest of the content is good and there's enough of it - they are not taking away anything, they are adding more to those who are willing to pay for it. This doesn't seem like it's part of the core experience.

They are quite literally taking away content though, when it's already done and present in the files but artifically locked behind a paywall. But that's a discussion that's been had a million times already, I never agreed with the practice and I never will.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
This kind of thing has been going on for a decade or more across countless games and franchises.

Why do people say this all the time like it means anything?

Yeah and I've been sick of it for over a decade, I've gladly voted with my wallet but I'm just one person in a drop of water in an endless sea of people who will pay anything for a grain of sand.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
paid DLC is often budgeted and allocated separately from the base game, meaning it exists under the season pass or the season pass doesn't exist and neither does this mission.

And if the first wave of season pass DLC is locked and loaded I'd rather have access to it on day one than see it delayed internally to avoid the optics you're picking up on

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That's a big part why there's no point to compalim about what Ubi is doing. Maybe some users don't like Season Pass model and want that content announced and sold only after the base game launched.

I'm defending the point here that some people are more sensible to the format, how some publishers deliver content than content itself.
I see your point.

Yes, and then we couldn't fell bad. Anyone here could confirm that any DLC for those triple A big budget games that are darlings of people were not developed alongside with the base game? Or thar they don't cut that portion to sell later? No, nobody can. But we don't have that perception. And that what matters for some people.
We quite literally have an example of that exact thing happening on this page via ME3.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7l0Rq9E8MY

I Fall

Dec 31, 2023
Brazil
People always make this argument, and it's always stupid. You can't possibly think this came about by Ubisoft looking at a completed, finished game and saying "alright, we need a mission to advertise the season pass, choose one to cut", right? I have to believe people aren't actually thinking that, for my own sanity.

What actually happens is Ubisoft knows exactly what they want to put in the season pass, so during development they'll task some mission designer to make a quick and dirty side quest that they can use as an exclusive quest. This quest was never designed to be critical to the main game, it's purely additive, and almost certainly an afterthought.

I think the hole point is that some people just doesn't want to know. Like, not knowing when something is made, how it was made or why would give the benefit of a doubt.

IonMagus

Banned
Feb 18, 2021
haven't followed Ubisoft much at least sales wise in a while

did avatar the game bomb sales wise? not make back it's money?
I think a lot of people know how quick Ubisoft discounts their games and esp every game having a "gold" edition, and those get discounted pretty deep within 2 months

Avatar and the Pirate Game were massive flops. Prince of Persia didnt do hot either. Far Cry 6 also underperformed

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Why do people say this all the time like it means anything?

Yeah and I've been sick of it for over a decade, I've gladly voted with my wallet but I'm just one person in a drop of water in an endless sea of people who will pay anything for a grain of sand.

I'm sick of the complaints personally especially when they're framed like this is something new or particularly egregious. This has been the norm now for a long time. You're right that you're one person in an endless sea of people like me who are gonna get this bullshit with all the fixings. I'm sorry you don't like it! But it might be time to accept it.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Edit: not worth it, have a nice day
Yeah, gonna mute this thread. It's not worth wasting time disusing this, weekend is short enough. Corporate defenders gonna defend corporate I guess.

It's Ubisoft, so I just gonna wait a month. Can't remember the last game from them that wasn't on sale after that time span.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Well you don't have to buy the game, just let other people enjoy it

/s
Well...you don't. You can sub for a month and play it. You can just get the base game and not this silly mission. You can get it on discount. You can never buy the game at all. Gamers being all "look at what [publisher] is making me do" and being outraged is legit getting tiresome. You have full agency on what you spend money on.

Adjusted for inflation, we paid over 100 USD for games in the 90s. Super Mario 64 was 130 USD in 2024 dollars. Games have never been cheaper and we've never had as many choices as we do now in how we play those games (purchase, subscription, wait and get a deal).

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Yeah, gonna mute this thread. It's not worth wasting time disusing this, weekend is short enough. Corporate defenders gonna defend corporate I guess.

If you want to interprete it as a defence then whatever. Even though I explicitly made clear my stance on the issue.

I've no patience anymore for debating with folks lacking in basic reading comprehension.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I can't think of a single time these extra single missions you get for preordering or with the season pass are actually worth it. These games have dozens of missions.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yes! That's a case that we know. And knowing that made that DLC feel like this season pass. And that's my point. We can't feel anything negaive about DLCs that we don't know why they're made.
In Ubi's case we know why they're made in this day and age. They don't chop off content, (let alone anything even remotely resembling the Javik dlc) to sell as a launch day SP content.

Hilariously, there's actually a time they DID chop off content from a game only to later sell it as a DLC. When AC2 was in development the director played the whole game, knew they were cooking, but realized that there were far too many bugs and such and that they'd be coming in hot for the actual release/did not have enough time for polish. The solution for this, was to chop off two chapters of the game so that the rest could be ready for release. One of the most iconic moments in the game is included in the cut content that they sold as a DLC.

Here's the 2009 Kotaku article about that and the specific quote:

Meanwhile since 2011 they've had a "bonus mission" incentive for pre-purchases. After 13 years of a publisher doing a thing, in this instance that being having a bonus mission, trying to rile up a consumer base to be angry about said bonus content comes off as, well, incredibly short sighted at best, and kind of disingenuous. Like are we doing this in 2024?

"A season pass has exclusive content and here's why you should be angry!"

Like no duh the season pass has launch content. 😅

It's Ubisoft, so I just gonna wait a month. Can't remember the last game from them that wasn't on sale after that time span.
You could just next time try to actually back your points up with something other than the "the vibes." As I demonstrated above with facts entirely separated from my opinions, (AC2 needed more dev time being one of them). We have access to google. It's ok to be objectively wrong sometimes. And on the other end, taking a step back and looking at a situation instead of "We should be angry because person said we should" is the right move.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it's Ubisoft so you'll end up buying all that for a 1/4th of the original asking price a year later. Just don't buy it

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
As much as im obsessed with Star Wars i already knew id be waiting. It's an ubi game. It'll be half off in a month.