Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
lol yknow why it's "a peaceful affair"? Because the jedi have fucking swords and magic powers. Someone showing up and going "I'm going to be taking your child and you'll never see them again" has a very different tone when that party shows up strapped and with a reputation.
Should be known that often times it would be the parents contacting the Jedi. No one but the Jedi know how to raise force sensitives. Like, I'm not sure you get that the Jedi were largely considered to be heroes. And also the protectors of the Republic until the Clone Wars, which they didn't start. You should get into the High Republic stuff to get a much better idea of what the Jedi were like and why they were so revered. They weren't always Senate lap dogs. And that caused dissent before episode 1 even happened because some members noticed that things felt off.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Should be known that often times it would be the parents contacting the Jedi. No one but the Jedi know how to raise force sensitives. Like, I'm not sure you get that the Jedi were largely considered to be heroes. And also the protectors of the Republic until the Clone Wars, which they didn't start.
Palpatine didn't show up and then shit fell apart. They were a corrupt and gross institution for far longer than acouple bad years at the end.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Palpatine didn't show up and then shit fell apart. They were a corrupt and gross institution for far longer than acouple bad years at the end.
They were fine during Dooku's childhood. The politics of the republic and separatist movement was caused by Palpatine and the sith working in the shadows to ensure that shit was going wrong in various places. Palpatine's old as hell and was an influential rich kid who Plagueis used to gain a foothold in the Republic. And during episode 1 Palpatine killed him and said "my plan now."

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
They were fine during Dooku's childhood.
Lol and obviously Dooku turned out great. It's not like there weren't a bunch of Jedi secretly checking out Sith shit, and then telling any nearby younglings "haha we're just gonna keep this between us, okay?" To the point where it's an open secret and as long as there aren't explicit mentions to certain members of the council, they were free to keep doing it.

Or when their whole thing is to have foresight, and when Dooku has horrific nightmares of disaster, they ignore him.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Weird headcannon, but ok...
Lol they aren't coming congratulating parents that their kid got into some prestige school. "Oh they're gonna get into the best colleges and get great connections! They're gonna be able to come back and really be an asset to your community." They show up at an age specifically so that these kids have no memory of their families or connections to their homes. Not even "we're going to help them safely learn to use this power," they're taking them so that they can "serve the Force" which just means the interests of the Republic. The Force aint out here on Ryloth or Onduron or whatever, apparently.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol they aren't coming congratulating parents that their kid got into some prestige school. "Oh they're gonna get into the best colleges and get great connections! They're gonna be able to come back and really be an asset to your community." They show up at an age specifically so that these kids have no memory of their families or connections to their homes. Not even "we're going to help them safely learn to use this power," they're taking them so that they can "serve the Force" which just means the interests of the Republic. The Force aint out here on Ryloth or Onduron or whatever, apparently.
Where are you even getting all of this from? If they were just taking kids, why would Qui Gon have even gone through all the trouble to get Anakin instead of just kidnapping him?

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
There are a LOT of assumptions and headcanon being treated as fact in this thread

I actually think they could do a lot in the Prequel era. But just with different characters. A major drawback of the Clone Wars cartoon is how it pretty much ignored most of the other Jedi. I honestly wish the Ahsoka episodes were about anyone else.

Yea I get that, and mostly agree, it's just that the title is a massive tease to long-time Star Wars fans. They are gonna have to go back in time to justify using it IMO.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Where are you even getting all of this from? If they were just taking kids, why would Qui Gon have even gone through all the trouble to get Anakin instead of just kidnapping him?
Because Anakin has a bomb in his neck. And he doesn't even bring it up with Shmi "hey, I am gonna try and get him out of here." He's just taking him. And like no shit she wants her son out of slavery, but he doesn't even warn her. It's just "congrats, now say bye to your kid."

If Anakin doesn't win that race, is Qui Gon gonna just leave his fucking messiah there?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Lol and obviously Dooku turned out great.
Dooku is all the reasons that're wrong with him.
It's not like there weren't a bunch of Jedi secretly checking out Sith shit, and then telling any nearby younglings "haha we're just gonna keep this between us, okay?" To the point where it's an open secret and as long as there aren't explicit mentions to certain members of the council, they were free to keep doing it.
The jedi very openly had to investigate the remnants of the sith.
Lol they aren't coming congratulating parents that their kid got into some prestige school. "Oh they're gonna get into the best colleges and get great connections! They're gonna be able to come back and really be an asset to your community." They show up at an age specifically so that these kids have no memory of their families or connections to their homes.
Because those very same kids literally have the power to choke people with their minds at the age of 3…parents send their kids to the Jedi. Yes there are Jedi seekers but they don't kidnap the kids. You're thinking about this in a way more grounded way than it is. Also, Jedi are not forbidden from leaving the order. Like you have this weird head canon that this is a super corrupt organization that kidnaps children like the first order did but that's not how it was at all. The galaxy at large celebrated the Jedi, and not out of fear. And it was an era of peace they weren't going around intimidating people with lightsabers. That was a last resort when things got violent. In fact out of the various EU stories I can't recall one wherein the Jedi strong arm someone into giving up their kid.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Qui-Gonn is one of the men the series constantly tells us questions and disagrees with the methods and policies of the Jedi, to the point his career as a Jedi suffered from it.

Qui-Gonn even tried to get Anakin's mother out

In the same way we see happened with Dooku.

Oct 27, 2017
Because those very same kids literally have the power to choke people with their minds at the age of 3…parents send their kids to the Jedi. Yes there are Jedi seekers but they don't kidnap the kids. You're thinking about this in a way more grounded way than it is. Also, Jedi are not forbidden from leaving the order. Like you have this weird head canon that this is a super corrupt organization that kidnaps children like the first order did but that's not how it was at all. The galaxy at large celebrated the Jedi, and not out of fear. And it was an era of peace they weren't going around intimidating people with lightsabers. That was a last resort when things got violent. In fact out of the various EU stories I can't recall one wherein the Jedi strong arm someone into giving up their kid.
This was always my understanding as well. It's like saying Hogwarts kidnaps kids who display magical abilities. Or Professor X kidnaps kids who display mutant powers. Like where tf would anyone get that idea from??

Qui-Gonn is one of the men the series constantly tells us questions and disagrees with the methods and policies of the Jedi, to the point his career as a Jedi suffered from it.

Qui-Gonn even tried to get Anakin's mother out

In the same way we see happened with Dooku.
Which, as far as we know, manifested in his interest in Anakin despite him being way older than when they start Jedi training. There was no implication that his methods of getting Anakin to join were drastically different from other Jedi aka in that he didn't kidnap him while other Jedi would. That sounds like edgy EU type fanfiction

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
Because Anakin has a bomb in his neck. And he doesn't even bring it up with Shmi "hey, I am gonna try and get him out of here." He's just taking him. And like no shit she wants her son out of slavery, but he doesn't even warn her. It's just "congrats, now say bye to your kid."

If Anakin doesn't win that race, is Qui Gon gonna just leave his fucking messiah there?
Honestly, at this point I feel like you watched a completely different movie to me.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
They're an order that has the authority to kidnap your force sensitive kids so they can be a weirdo cult of cops with no oversight.

Windu is just another detached asshole with a nice chair.

This was brought up on AMCA recently. Not canon anymore, but still:

starwars.fandom.com

"Baby Ludi" custody case

After a destructive groundquake destroyed the planet Ord Thoden's capital city of Domitree in 23 BBY, a crew of Jedi rescue workers found an infant Force-sensitive girl named Ludi Billane alive in the wreckage and took her to Coruscant for training. When the girl's mother, Jonava Billane, was...

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
This was always my understanding as well. It's like saying Hogwarts kidnaps kids who display magical abilities. Or Professor X kidnaps kids who display mutant powers. Like where tf would anyone get that idea from?

Both of those examples let the children spend time with their families and their culture.

None of those examples are a religion.

None of those examples has a power dynamic over the parents.

Oct 27, 2017
Both of those examples let the children spend time with their families and their culture.

None of those examples are a religion.

None of those examples has a power dynamic over the parents.

Hogwarts/The Xmen don't have a power dynamic over parents? In what world?? The former even got Harry to go to Hogwarts against the Dursley's wishes and harassed them until they got what they wanted. Also children can leave the Jedi order. They're not being held there against their will. They're presumably staying because they're being trained to harness cool powers and use light sabers

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I need to wrap up Andor before I jump onto this. That said, I'm excited as hell!
The episodes in this are extremely short. Like 15 minutes each.

I feel like people letting the real world mistrust of the police bleed into their Star Wars.
It definitely comes off that way. Even though SW has an actual police system in place lol which aren't the jedi. The jedi are meant to help prevent major wars from happening. And are generally powerless to stop the major corruption in the Republic. And as soon as they were ABOUT to do something about it Order 66 happened.

Indeed, lots of headcanon coming from some posts 🤔
The force manifests itself at an extremely young age and yes that can have consequences because you know, toddlers aren't exactly known for having self control. For example, even before the age of two Ben Solo once got angry and then used the used the force to violently toss a toy across the room, to Leia's shock. When he got a little older he would destroy things with the force while angry. They even attempted to raise him normally and neither wanted him to become a jedi but they couldn't wrap their head around raising a force sensitive child. Hence sending him to Luke so he could have proper training.

Luke grew up as a Force sensitive and didn't choke anyone
Luke was an extremely sheltered kid who was barely allowed to leave the farm and had extremely loving parents in the form of Aunt Beru and Owen. Also pretty sure his force sensitivity didn't manifest until he was taught by Ben.

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The force manifests itself at an extremely young age and yes that can have consequences because you know, toddlers aren't exactly known for having self control. For example, even before the age of two Ben Solo once got angry and then used the used the force to violently toss a toy across the room, to Leia's shock.

That was because of Snoke's voice influencing him ever since he was a fetus.

Ezra, Luke, Leia, Rey (AKA pretty much everyone else) all grew up as Force sensitives and never choked anyone.

In fact they do Midi-Chlorian tests to detect Force sensitives specifically because their powers don't manifest very clearly otherwise.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Hogwarts/The Xmen don't have a power dynamic over parents? In what world?? The former even got Harry to go to Hogwarts against the Dursley's wishes and harassed them until they got what they wanted. Also children can leave the Jedi order. They're not being held there against their will. They're presumably staying because they're being trained to harness cool powers and use light sabers

Ah yes, the children taken as babies and indoctrinated into a religion can leave at any time!

The jedi even got in conflict with other force sensitive factions of the past for trying to abduct and indoctrinate their children.

starwars.fandom.com

Dagoyan Order

The Dagoyan Order, also referred to as the Dagoyan Masters, were an order of Force-users that focused knowledge and harmony of the universe. Through the Bahk-tov Council, they also served as part of the planetary government of Bardotta—homeworld of the Bardottan species in the the galaxy's...

The relationship between the Dagoyan Order and the Jedi Order was chilly at best, due to an incident early in their history. When the Jedi attempted to induct Bardottan children into their order, the Bahk-tov Council deemed this act as an affront to the sovereignty of Bardotta and demanded the children be returned or risk war. When the Jedi complied, the Dagoyan order ended most contact with the Jedi for the next millennia.

I find funny that for all the comments about how Star Wars should be some deep and profound work, so many of you can't accept the Jedi as anything but the coolest guys

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Whew, great stuff. I didn't expect the tone to be so bleak, but that'll happen when your "tales of the Jedi" focus on two people who left the Order.

The cinematography, score, writing, performances...this animation studio is capable of amazing work. Bad Batch is OK, but they need to do more of these short stories.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I watched these with my son who is home sick today and we both enjoyed them a lot. It's pretty short so you could watch the whole season in a little over an hour.

The only thing I wasn't sure about was (episode 2) Dooku force choking the senator. I thought this was going to be the origin story of his fall and it does seem like he has valid reasons for his fall, but starting out with the choke undermined it a little for me.

Oct 27, 2017
The jedi even got in conflict with other force sensitive factions of the past for trying to abduct and indoctrinate their children.

starwars.fandom.com

Dagoyan Order

The Dagoyan Order, also referred to as the Dagoyan Masters, were an order of Force-users that focused knowledge and harmony of the universe. Through the Bahk-tov Council, they also served as part of the planetary government of Bardotta—homeworld of the Bardottan species in the the galaxy's...

I find funny that for all the comments about how Star Wars should be some deep and profound work, so many of you can't accept the Jedi as anything but the coolest guys

That link says "When the Jedi attempted to induct Bardottan children into their order,". You added the "abduct" part. And of course it was thought of as "indoctrination", they're essentially a different sect/schism of the Jedi religion from the Dagoyan Order. And it literally says they complied and returned the children

Again, you guys are making this way edgier than it actually is

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
That link says "When the Jedi attempted to induct Bardottan children into their order,". You added the "abduct" part. And of course it was thought of as "indoctrination", they're essentially a different sect/schism of the Jedi religion from the Dagoyan Order. And it literally says they complied and returned the children

Again, you guys are making this way edgier than it actually is

You'd think that when you reach the point where you say "Well at least they returned the kids to their homes after threats of war". It would make anyone do a double take.

Alas...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That was because of Snoke's voice influencing him ever since he was a fetus.
It wasn't due to Snoke, it was because he was literally a 1 year old who was having a brief tantrum and unintentionally used the force in anger. Snoke's influence came a bit later and by then he was already giving his parents trouble.

Ezra, Luke, Leia, Rey (AKA pretty much everyone else) all grew up as Force sensitives and never choked anyone.
It depends entirely on the child and how they're. One of the HR novels even has a jedi mention what it's like taking care of a bunch of toddlers who realize that they can use the force and what a hassle it is.

In fact they do Midi-Chlorian tests to detect Force sensitives specifically because their powers don't manifest very clearly otherwise.
It depends on the child. As we just saw in the first episode it can manifest in various ways, and at various times. Luke most likely wasn't capable of calming any of the Tatooine beasts at the age of 1 years old. Luke's honestly a major late bloomer. Meanwhile Rey's force sensitivity made her capable of surviving the dangers on Jakku.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
This is gonna sound dumb but I couldn't wait to be done with the first episode. I guess for me after seeing that Filoni devoted an entire episode to baby Ahsoka, I'm like "all right. I think I've had enough Ahsoka for a while thank you".

But WOW did I love the Dooku episodes! And I loved seeing Qui-Gon Jinn again! Still haven't watched the rest of the episodes cause again, seeing the whole baby Ahsoka thing made sigh a little, but I'll get around to them eventually. I really hope they continue this series with other Jedi and maybe even Sith in the future.

Also seeing a slightly younger Sidious in the third Dooku episode was excellent.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
This is gonna sound dumb but I couldn't wait to be done with the first episode. I guess for me after seeing that Filoni devoted an entire episode to baby Ahsoka, I'm like "all right. I think I've had enough Ahsoka for a while thank you".

But WOW did I love the Dooku episodes! And I loved seeing Qui-Gon Jinn again! Still haven't watched the rest of the episodes cause again, seeing the whole baby Ahsoka thing made sigh a little, but I'll get around to them eventually. I really hope they continue this series with other Jedi and maybe even Sith in the future.

Also seeing a slightly younger Sidious in the third Dooku episode was excellent.
Yea I think we have seen all we need to see of Ahsoka at this point. As much as I love her character, it's all a bit much especially with the show coming.

And while technically that sidious was older than he was in the phantom menace, I will never get enough of him, especially when Ian McDiarmud is voicing him. I really wish he was in more than one scene in AOTC, was criminal to have him missing for almost a third of the prequel trilogy.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Sidious-mode Palpatine has never been this threatening.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man the Ahsoka episodes were boring. The Dooku episodes were so much more interesting. They really should have done episodes focusing on some other jedi besides Ahsoka. We got a bunch of her during the Clone Wars of course, she shows up in Rebels, Mando, and will have her own show. Please focus on some of the other Jedi that we barely get any episodes with. A young Mace, Quinlan, Kit, hell that one tree lookin jedi. I like Ahsoka a lot but goddamn that episode with her as a baby was just dull I skipped over half of it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Which part? Because Anakin mentions the bombs in the slaves' necks, Qui-Gon's interest in taking the kid is entirely because of what he can do (and his blood which he takes without asking), and otherwise he explicitly says "i didn't come here to free slaves."
Qui-gon not being able to free slaves is a failing of the Republic, arguably not even because that territory is outside of their jurisdiction. The Republic dismantled any slave operation that happened within their borders. But when it comes to an equally rich territory they can't impose their will without major war starting.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Frankly I can't wait for the High Republic show because it will very specifically be about portraying the jedi entirely different and showing how the jedi and the republic started to decline.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Finally watched them. Ok, yeah I'm officially Ahsoka'd out I think. But its amazing how far the animation quality has come.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Those were great episodes, but again Yaddle proves the age old problem Windu had in Episode 3 which is why the hell not take this super important information to the people who need it then all go as a group rather than just going it alone and ending up dead.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
That was a nice dose of Star Wars. I'd like more, please. Little glue episodes that stick other moments together.

And of course, more Ahsoka is always good.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Finished episode 4, I finally finally understand all the Dooku/Sifo Dyas/Kamino stuff now that I actually saw it happen. I never took the time to think that Dooku was still in the order during TPM, so seeing a scene set during the time frame was pretty cool, especially with Neeson's voice.

Definite allusion to Anakin's sunset scene during Revenge of the Sith with Dooku at the tree, the music was amazing.

Yaddle proves that Yoda was a crazy madman with the backwards talk, she didnt do half the frenzied flipping Yoda did in his duel, although its funny to think what Dooku must've thought about having to fight another green goblin jedi in Attack of the Clones.

Glad the question was finally answered: "Why was Yaddle in only one scene of the prequels? Because she died the next morning lol."