• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
Okay, yes the quality of the show's production is amazing, but does anyone else feel like the writing is spinning its wheels a bit?

The past season and a half has proceeded like this: Empire hunts Omega > Omega captured > Omega sent to Mt. Tantis > Bad Batch has to get her out > Empire hunts Omega > Omega escapes > Omega reunites with the Bad Batch > Empire captures Omega > Omega is back on Mt. Tantis > Bad Batch has to get her out > Omega escapes again?

It feels like we're going in circles, similar to the Ashoka arc from S7 of the Clone Wars if you remember that.

Had the exact same thought. The show is well made but the last couple episodes have been snoozers for me because we just did all this.

At least Omega is cool under pressure. "That's okay. I like a challenge." Perfect line delivery.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, yes the quality of the show's production is amazing, but does anyone else feel like the writing is spinning its wheels a bit?

The past season and a half has proceeded like this: Empire hunts Omega > Omega captured > Omega sent to Mt. Tantis > Bad Batch has to get her out > Empire hunts Omega > Omega escapes > Omega reunites with the Bad Batch > Empire captures Omega > Omega is back on Mt. Tantis > Bad Batch has to get her out > Omega escapes again?

It feels like we're going in circles, similar to the Ashoka arc from S7 of the Clone Wars if you remember that.
Yeah, the show has turned into some kind of echo

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the show has turned into some kind of echo
Eyes Narrow GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

I hope we get more Rex and some closure on what happened to Cody before the end.

Last edited:

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
can't believe there's only 1 more episode now...
That penultimate episode doesn't quite feel like a penultimate episode IMO.
I'm still not convinced that we're gonna get a satisfying ending with all this....

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
How is there only 30 minutes left?!? So much has to happen!

So I haven't watched Season 3 yet, but if there's too much to cover in one last episode, I think it's reasonable to suspect that there will be a spiritual Bad Batch season 4, in much the same way Bad Batch was a spiritual TCW season 8.

Especially given that the Tales of the Empire trailer shows they've made the art assets for things like imperial star destroyers in the Clone Wars art style.

Last edited:

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Oh, yes. Keep zapping the captured kaiju. That won't cause problems down the line.

Omega is going to get a new, slightly bigger, animal friend here, isn't she?

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this has been a pretty disappointing season. LionHeart360 nailed it in that it feels like the story has gone in circles multiple times without anything significant changing. Can't see how they are going to wrap it all up in a satisfactory manner with only one episode left.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Idk that sounds perfectly doable to me. This season has been fairly glacial so it's easy to forget how much could be crammed into a single Rebels or CW episode

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen it mentioned from SWE and some others that they thought the season order was for 16 and were caught surprised by the 15 that were scheduled. So if that was the case, an extra long episode is quite plausible.

This also reminds me of the exact same conversations before Rebels finale.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the season was pretty well-paced and engaging until the last two episodes. I didn't think they were bad, really, just perfunctory "they do a thing so they can do the big thing later."

Can't wait to see how they bring it home. I can't imagine it will be a happy ending.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I've seen it mentioned from SWE and some others that they thought the season order was for 16 and were caught surprised by the 15 that were scheduled. So if that was the case, an extra long episode is quite plausible.

This also reminds me of the exact same conversations before Rebels finale.

Rebels largely pulled it off so I'm not too worried

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
can't believe there's only 1 more episode now...
That penultimate episode doesn't quite feel like a penultimate episode IMO.
I'm still not convinced that we're gonna get a satisfying ending with all this....
My personal conspiracy theory is that this isn't the "true" ending and that they'll be setting up a sequel series with a time jump to the New Republic era. Like Rebels, except hopefully not with another 5-year gap lol.

The finale has to be at least an hour long, right?
I have to imagine it will be. The series premiere was feature-length and Rebels had a 48-minute finale. While Clone Wars and Resistance *technically* had normal length final episodes, the finales were multi-parters, with the Siege of Mandalore arc pretty much literally being a feature film arbitrarily cut up into parts (still waiting on an official edit combining them). I doubt this will end with just 30 minutes.

Last edited:

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, next week has to be an hour long.

I am concerned we are not going to get any closure on Rex, Cody, or Wolffe here. Also, we haven't seen the assassin in a few episodes have we? They've been buiding up and teasing that he is important so they have to close the loop on that don't they?

OP
OP
egg

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, next week has to be an hour long.

I am concerned we are not going to get any closure on Rex, Cody, or Wolffe here. Also, we haven't seen the assassin in a few episodes have we? They've been buiding up and teasing that he is important so they have to close the loop on that don't they?

Ventress shows up, everyone dies except her and Omega.
Ventress rescues Omega and the kids. Ventress is in contact with Rex. Ventress show announced.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
Going to have to agree with this season being a bit off pacing wise. It started off really good but then there were abit too many wasted episodes imo

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Ventress shows up, everyone dies except her and Omega.
Ventress rescues Omega and the kids. Ventress is in contact with Rex. Ventress show announced.
Damn, think this could happen. I wouldn't mind that.

Have to agree that this season has been really strange. I think it has some of the strongest episodes of all three seasons, but the overall plotting is very sloppy, repetitive, and wheel spinny. Hoping for a solid send off and that it's at least an hour long.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
BB series finale:
Ended well enough overall thank god. Ending felt a bit rushed but still good enough.
I do wish the series explained the shadow agents a bit more. They honestly feel like another 1 dimensional cool looking bad guy that Star Wars keep putting out....

It's pretty funny that The posts On social media that the crew posted sent the fandom into frenzy amounted to nothing. In all seriousness, this emotionally satisfying, but safe ending confirms to me the emerging pattern that has been obvious for like ever: Disney is petrified to kill more than one big character &/or let stories end... hell! Ventress had an ending & It was completely rewritten! And look I get it? Disney needs more characters outside of the skywalkers...and i know this isn't game of thrones, but it's becoming a bit distracting that only that one designated character & the villains are dropping dead... oh well I guess? at least I know my favs from Star Wars are safe!

Feb 24, 2018
So weird that the Rex subplot besides a single mention of Senator Chuchi was left completely unresolved. I guess that means he gets disillusioned later on (which kind of means Echos fate isn't so bright, especially since Omega didn't mention him in the coda).

Overall I liked it but it did feel rushed and need 5 more minutes to pace it better at least.

Feb 24, 2018
Out of curiosity how have old EU fans been feeling about the treatment of Scorcher? Can't imagine they'll be happy with him killed off after being fully complicit and not showing a touch of guilt (wonder why the Commando clones are even extra loyal to the Empire outside of "defective" cases?

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was expecting things to be abit more...tense. It ended waaay too safely imo. I thought for sure Wrecker was dead for one. Considering the amount of time given though they wouldn't have much time to mourn him which would have been necessary.

But yeah there are quite a few loose ends especially pertaining the clones. I imagine something is getting announced, they can't have dropped "Project Stardust" just like that when we know in fact Project Necromancer is still well and alive post OT.

Adult Omega joining the rebellion is a nice touch but shouldn't Hunter look waaaaay older, accelerated aging and all?

Out of curiosity how have old EU fans been feeling about the treatment of Scorcher? Can't imagine they'll be happy with him killed off after being fully complicit and not showing a touch of guilt (wonder why the Commando clones are even extra loyal to the Empire outside of "defective" cases?
Was he ever name dropped? If not they could always just say it's someone else. If he was well it kinda sucks.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
That was quite beautiful,
despite not having any revelations, which isn't really bad tbh. I still have no idea on what is this necromancer project lol, or at least what was Hemlock plan. Also, the final scene definitely teases that we're seeing more of Omega in the future.

Also, it seems tech is dead for sure, well, for now.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Great finale. Also is the bad batch the only piece of entertainment in the history of human communication where falling into an "abyss"
actually means you're dead?!

lol

Hooray, restraint?

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
Unpopular opinion but I thought the ending was extremely safe and pretty mediocre, especially compared to TCW finale. I really feel like they don't know how to write the clones anymore. Also annoying how the staff got everyone in frenzy every week for literally nothing lol.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
That was quite beautiful,
despite not having any revelations, which isn't really bad tbh. I still have no idea on what is this necromancer project lol, or at least what was Hemlock plan. Also, the final scene definitely teases that we're seeing more of Omega in the future.

Also, it seems tech is dead for sure, well, for now.
Project Necromancer is the project Palpatine stood up to grow him a spare body.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Good finale, good series, too.
Tarkin may be a horrible space Nazi, but his sense of dramatic timing is on point. The instant something goes wrong, he's on the holophone. And then he arrives so close to the heroes escaping that it's in the same shot.

It does help that he cannot turn it off, what with "Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!" being his final words in Episode IV.
I'm looking forward to what Lucasfilm Animation does next. So far the Clone Wars, Rebels, Clone Wars Again, Bad Batch run has been near perfect.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Good finale, good series, too.
Tarkin may be a horrible space Nazi, but his sense of dramatic timing is on point. The instant something goes wrong, he's on the holophone. And then he arrives so close to the heroes escaping that it's in the same shot.

It does help that he cannot turn it off, what with "Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!" being his final words in Episode IV.
I'm looking forward to what Lucasfilm Animation does next. So far the Clone Wars, Rebels, Clone Wars Again, Bad Batch run has been near perfect.
Don't they have a new "show" starting in 3 days?!

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good stuff!

I don't need a sequel series or any more with these characters. Everything resolved, and not every single living character from the Filoni stuff needs to be on Endor lol.

OP
OP
egg

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone interested in doing the ot for Tales of the Empire? If not I'll make it!
Gonna need a good OT name, was thinking of something like
Tales of the Empire |OT| Sister, Sister (cus Morgan is a Nightsister, and female Inqs are referred to as Sister lol) or Revenge of the Sis, idk lol.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
I'm going to be real, I found this whole show a real snoozefest. It's well made, I guess I could just couldn't get invested in the clones. I found each of the main characters super uninteresting. Excited to move on.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to be real, I found this whole show a real snoozefest. It's well made, I guess I could just couldn't get invested in the clones. I found each of the main characters super uninteresting. Excited to move on.

A lot of episodes for me were kinda dull, but the good ones were great for me. Loved all the characters too.

I would still rank it below Rebels (peak SW animation), but imo is leagues better than Clone Wars (and Bobba for live action)

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
I really liked the finale. Sure, it wasn't as big and bold as the finale for The Clone Wars, but it was exiting enough, and it felt like it pretty much wrapped everything up that it needed to.

In a lot of ways, the show felt like a coda to The Clone Wars itself. It seemed mostly interesting into delving into a few unanswered questions from its predecessor (What happened to the Zillow Beast?) while also focusing on the larger unanswered questions about what happens to a clone army when the war that's named after them has ended.

I don't think it ever quite reached the highest highs of The Clone Wars, but I do think it was more consistent throughout as well. Even the worst episode of TBB are more inoffensive than anything truly atrocious.

As for the ending itself. I did expect many times for Wrecker, Crosshair or even Hunter to die. I was thus pleasantly surprised that everyone made it out more or less okay in the end - withstanding a few lost limbs, of course.

But despite what might come across as an all-too happy and sugary ending, I think it works well within the context of the show and the larger storyline of The Clone Wars in general. The clones have been through so much, the members of the Batch included. It's nice to finally see some clones who are able to actually retire happily and aren't homeless on the streets, or outcast to a backwater planet to live in their old car tank.

The last scene of an older Omega was cute too. If this the last time we see any of these characters, I would be very satisfied.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Solid finale that doesn't take too many big swings or risks. The animation work is absolutely splendid, as is the score once again. The bridge sequence is the highlight of the episode and one of the strongest moments of tension in the entire series.

Overall, I think Bad Batch was a success, but the overarching story across the show isn't as felt or fully realized as it was in Clone Wars and Rebels. With a focused group of characters I would have hoped for more of a forward moving character-centered narrative, but the show too often felt like mission of the week type writing. That can be fun week to week, but it doesn't make it something I think I'll return to.

That being said, I'm very much looking forward to whatever is next and would like to see where this show ends followed up on.