Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I've read IX's script, it opens like this.
kttEuNU.png

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
You keep saying JJ makes it clear but all your examples are simply how you're choosing to interpret things.

You can't even acknowledge that your focus on the word friend is somehow rejection of a romantic relationship the characters haven't even gotten a chance to discuss or explore because they've been busy fighting for their lives trying to save the galaxy

How does a kiss on the forehead and calling him friend show oh so clearly that Rey ONLY likes Finn as a friend? It doesn't

LMAO that is literally classic friend zone. It doesn't get more friend zone than that. Wow, people really enjoy their fan theories eh

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
LMAO that is literally classic friend zone. It doesn't get more friend zone than that. Wow, people really enjoy their fan theories eh
That scene isn't definitive of anything. There's no need to pretend like there's not the possibility of Rey/Finn continuing to show that they've got feelings for each other in some way.

Clearly the films were designed to leave fans theorizing over basic stuff like this. Let's not pretend like "Rey and Finn have a thing" is some ridiculous crazed or baseless interpretation with no merit. We're not talking about "Rey is the reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker, therefore Luke's dad" shit.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Everybody needs to listen to the first 5 minutes or so. RJ explains a common misconception people have with the film.. that it's not at all about letting the past die. Kylo and Luke both make this mistake, but the difference is that Luke recognizes this mistake and learns from it. Rey helps him realize this.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this Rian Johnson interview is good. Right off the bat he dispels the notion that TLJ was about letting go of the past, which is abundantly clear if you saw the last act of the movie and he goes on to talk about what Luke's death meant to Luke himself but also for the whole galaxy.

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everybody needs to listen to the first 5 minutes or so. RJ explains a common misconception people have with the film.. that it's not at all about letting the past die. Kylo and Luke both make this mistake, but the difference is that Luke recognizes this mistake and learns from it. Rey helps him realize this.
This was obvious. Unfortunately irrational haters jumped on the idea that it was about destroying the past at the same time some hyper defenders of the film attempted to argue the film totally re invents and de constructs the legacy of the old films, which they viewed as a good thing.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't think most critics object that TLJ's message is that you should let the past die - it's really not, and it would be hypocritical for a movie that is in large parts a carbon copy of previous entries (with a twist).

I think people who object to RJ's choices is that if you reference the past, you need to honor it. The idea that TLJ didn't do justice to Luke Skywalker's character is something you may agree or disagree with but it has nothing to do with whether you need to let the past go or not.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think most critics object that TLJ's message is that you should let the past die - it's really not, and it would be hypocritical for a movie that is in large parts a carbon copy of previous entries (with a twist).

I think people who object to RJ's choices is that if you reference the past, you need to honor it. The idea that TLJ didn't do justice to Luke Skywalker's character is something you may agree or disagree with but it has nothing to do with whether you need to let the past go or not.
Critical or not of TLJ, it really doesn't matter, it's just an objective fact that many think that the message is to let the past die. How many times has someone said that in this thread? It's countless.

If you like the movie and still think it's about killing the past, then you're still wrong and it's weird to watch the Yoda scene and the ending and come out thinking that the movie was saying this. It's like watching the Sixth Sense and coming out thinking Bruce WIllis was alive the whole time.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Critical or not of TLJ, it really doesn't matter, it's just an objective fact that many think that the message is to let the past die. How many times has someone said that in this thread? It's countless.

If you like the movie and still think it's about killing the past, then you're still wrong and it's weird to watch the Yoda scene and the ending and come out thinking that the movie was saying this. It's like watching the Sixth Sense and coming out thinking Bruce WIllis was alive the whole time.

That's for sure.

However, I do feel that a part of TLJ (not its message, but its structure and the design decisions behind it) is about "killing the past".

Even among people who like it, it's a common opinion that TLJ is a weird movie. In particular, it's a weird Star Wars movie - it goes through a lot of the same tropes and narrative structures, and then it flips around the outcomes and more importantly the pacing. It feels like a movie that tries very hard to break away from Star Wars - not its values but its narrative beats.
And if you think about it, that makes a lot of sense. For Star Wars as a franchise, TLJ is a "coming of age" moment. TFA was this beautiful nostalgia trip that paid perfect omage to so much of the OT - it was a movie that felt that directly referencing Vader and featuring Han Solo and the Falcon and all those things was the best way to honor and revive Star Wars. TLJ is the movie that realizes that if Disney really wants to put out a Star Wars movie every year without dragging the franchise into the mud they can't retell the same story every 10 years with different actors. They need to break away from the formula, from the plucky nobody who awakens to the force and confronts the dark dressed and misunderstood dark lord at the head of a galactic, fascist empire. Tha swapping rebellion with resistance isn't enough to keep things fresh and interesting. For all its failings (and you know I'm not the biggest fan of the movie) TLJ is a movie that has the courage to tell the addicted that their addiction isn't healthy anymore, that it can't work like that, that we need to accept that either we inject new life into the franchise or we're gonna turn it into some sort of periodical reconstruction of a glorious past that can't return. And that's why even if you don't like it you should perceive TLJ as something important for the series, because TLJ is fundamentally a promise: it's Lucasfilm telling you "we're not gonna do the same shit all over again. We may stumble along the way, but we'll be following new roads". And while that may mean that this trilogy will probably be finished as something uneven and with narrative issues and an emotional impact that can't rival the OT, IF the next trilogy will be free from the shackles of doing the same thing over and over again with the impossible goal of doing better than the original, it will be thanks to TLJ. It's a movie that had to happen.

Deleted member 19213

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the surface, I enjoyed this movie enough, but the more I thought about it, the less I liked it. There were decisions made in this film that really bothered me.

There are many complaints of Rey being OP, and while I agree she seems to have an easy time combatting her enemies without much experience, I also didn't mind since I considered Snoke the main threat in TFA. I figured Kylo was this emotionally unstable guy who couldn't harness his power properly, plus he was injured by Chewie's laser gun.

In this film, Snoke threw Rey around like a rag doll and it was really cool to see. Here was an enemy that was mysterious and powerful. During this scene, I was thinking of the possibilities of Rey training with Luke in order to defeat him. Or maybe Rey could somehow align with Kylo against Snoke. These possibilities were destroyed when they randomly killed Snoke off in an incredibly lame fashion.

At first, this seems like a bold move that would pay off. Kylo and Rey were joining forces. Kylo even says at the end of the skirmish "Let's join forces separate from the republic and the first order" (or something to that effect). THAT would have been interested and daring. But instead, everything was brought back to status quo. Rey good, Kylo bad, Snoke dead (Rey's only threat since she can beat Kylo) and now Luke is dead as well. In retrospect, Rey being able to defeat Kylo in TFA isn't good. How can Kylo be a threat when Rey has defeated him already? Also, Kylo was put in a chokehold by one of Snoke's mercenaries (not sure of the correct term for them) and Kylo wasn't able to free himself until Rey threw him a lightsaber. Kylo is the main villain and he's been proven to be weak throughout this trilogy. He's not menacing and he doesn't feel like a threat. Unless there's some trick up their sleeve for episode 9, killing off Snoke is a terrible decision.

Luke contemplating killing Kylo, before he committed to the dark side, is a questionable decision as well, especially considering what Luke did to save Vader in ROTJ.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Luke contemplating killing Kylo, before he committed to the dark side, is a questionable decision as well, especially considering what Luke did to save Vader in ROTJ.

Uhhhhh......before he reeled in his emotions and started acting rationally instead of impulsively, Luke was straight up trying to murder Vader in the climactic battle. When he got past his rage, he made a gesture of pacifism.

.....Which is exactly what happen with Kylo. For a split second he was overcome with emotion and impulse, but quickly reeled it in and let his brain take over and stood down. An act of pacifism.

It's 100% in character.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere, there is a fanboy fapping furiously to the thought that Luke didn't die, but instead learned how to Force Houdini.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The nature of what? Whether he's dead or alive? The fade-out and falling cloak are unambiguous.
Rian likes the idea that we're not actually sure if Ahch-To actually has 2 suns or if this is something that only Luke is seeing because of his connection to the binary suns.

Listen to the whole interview, it's really good.

Deleted member 19213

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can see it in TFA when Rey closed her eyes and harnessed the force while Kylo was trying to recruit her, Kylo could have killed her then, but I can't recall an instance like that in TLJ.

Fair enough.
In the throne room scene we literally see fighting 3-4 guards at once without getting a scratch on him, it them cuts multiple times to Rey who manages to off one of 2 she's fighting and then gets stabbed/hit multiple times in that 1v1 fight.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I can see it in TFA when Rey closed her eyes and harnessed the force while Kylo was trying to recruit her, Kylo could have killed her then, but I can't recall an instance like that in TLJ.
In the fight with the guards Kylo is taking on 3 guards at the same time while Rey is struggling with just one. In terms of actual fighting skill, Kylo is significantly more experienced than her but in terms of the force, they're equal.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Rian likes the idea that we're not actually sure if Ahch-To actually has 2 suns or if this is something that only Luke is seeing because of his connection to the binary suns.

Listen to the whole interview, it's really good.
Oh, thank fuck. That nonsense in the Visual Dictionary about Ahch-To actually having two suns is wack. Hidalgo needs to amend that shit.

Deleted member 19213

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the throne room scene we literally see fighting 3-4 guards at once without getting a scratch on him, it them cuts multiple times to Rey who manages to off one of 2 she's fighting and then gets stabbed/hit multiple times in that 1v1 fight.

I'll have to watch that scene again on blu ray. In the theater, it seemed like they were both taking on the same amount of enemies and Kylo was eventually put in a chokehold.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to watch that scene again on blu ray. In the theater, it seemed like they were both taking on the same amount of enemies and Kylo was eventually put in a chokehold.
I can 100% guarantee that it's the case that he is literally fighting 3 guards versus Rey's 1 and she gets hot multiple times.

The movie goes out of its way to show this.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere, there is a fanboy fapping furiously to the thought that Luke didn't die, but instead learned how to Force Houdini.
Luke thought about teleporting all the way back in A New Hope. Also he figured it out himself like Rey did.

Luke is the biggest fanboy of them all, retiring to an island of fanboy analogues.