• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I don't get it, why are people talking about time travel?

Apparently some of the ships in the trailer are from the era of the original trilogy or something nerdy like that. It blows my mind how some people can instantly identify all of the vehicles in these movies. I still get AT AT and AT ST mixed up.

Oct 25, 2017
So these look like Imperial Star Destroyers rather than First Order. Definitely not Resurgent class. That's interesting. Specifically the older Imperial 1 Class destroyers from the R1/ANH era, I'd say. Weeiiiiird.

That plus the "Sith" Troopers (even though the sith are supposedly dead and Snoke/Ren were not sith), makes me think a certain Senate has kept his own forces hidden away for a long while. Perhaps while puppeteering the First Order/Snoke from afar.
4HjmgLl.jpg

But they're not without modifications. On the above picture you can barely perceive a red outline following the edge. The last Star Destroyer to have a sort of red paint job was the prequel era Venator class, though this is on a seemingly OT era destroyer.
More importantly, on the bottom they seem to have new installations. Large indents toward the front with what I'd guess are big ol' lasers. It's probably one of those that's causing the large red beam seen in the trailer.
UwBLMKH.jpg

The folding double bladed saber is neat. I'm guessing this is a fakeout. A vision or something. I'm not buying it. Harder to get a good look at in motion but easier in this still.
I'm a fan of folding double blades, like the temple guards. Moreso than standard double blades. So I'm hoping it does make a legitimate appearance in a fight.
aUVLc4F.jpg

In the forest it looks like Rey is training. See the little training remote dodging her blade?
I wonder if this is self motivated or if she's being guided by someone.
d46raSK.jpg

Also, right before I captured that shot I happened to pause at a funny frame.
DRgVurt.jpg

download.png

"They looked at me as a god once....and they will once more...."
Creepio is canon. Is it any coincidence that this foreboding shot of Creepio is what immediately follows "COMES TO AN END"?
THE SINGULARITY ENGINE WILL RISE AGAIN
PXvXPEV.gif

This is going to be such good fodder for Auralnauts.

Dec 31, 2017
Reading through this thread the negativity is immense. It's just gotten nauseating following online fandom of these movies over the past few years. Jesus ppl it's just a trailer; try to get excited about something.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I was hoping for this scene with Rey when people were describing this:

l8HraEe.gif

I think it would have worked much better if the second lightsaber blade wasn't ignited before the fold as, really, having it fling open already ignited makes it look really dumb. It's also as a high chance of accidents and, frankly, I think Rey should be having a meeting with the galaxy's local Health and Safety Standards authority.

how is that literal objective evidence?
The trailers show "literal objective evidence" that time travel is involved?

Please explain.

There is no objective evidence. None. Zero. RLM are the racist and sexist losers who are responsible for people online thinking this is at all legit and it's beyond frustrating.

There is nothing "objective" so far pointing to time travel
If there was evidence of time travel in that trailer, I clearly missed it. What was in there?

- The Millenium Falcon has the original trilogy's radar dish despite it being destroyed in TFA
- Leia is holding the medal from ANH
- Rey has Luke's lightsaber despite it being destroyed in TLJ
- The Palpatine laugh

Those are all things in the trailer itself, so the speculation is based in objective evidence from actual marketing material. Who knows whether it's right, but to argue that there is literally no evidence that could allow someone to speculate like that is demonstrably wrong. It's like saying the shot of Rey holding a red lightsaber isn't evidence that could be used to speculate on a potential dark-side turn for her character; you're using your own conclusions to shut other people making innocent speculation up.

Also why do none of you ever just take the L and realise that RLM didn't actually create the time travel theory? They added to it, but dismissing it based on "RLM MADE IT!" is an incredibly lazy dismissal and at this point you must be intentionally ignoring that fact.

Oh, and I'd rather not be called crazy in a thread like this so please don't do that.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it would have worked much better if the second lightsaber blade wasn't ignited before the fold as, really, having it fling open already ignited makes it look really dumb. It's also as a high chance of accidents and, frankly, I think Rey should be having a meeting with the galaxy's local Health and Safety Standards authority.

- The Millenium Falcon has the original trilogy's radar dish despite it being destroyed in TFA
- Leia is holding the medal from ANH
- Rey has Luke's lightsaber despite it being destroyed in TLJ
- The Palpatine laugh

Those are all things in the trailer itself, so the speculation is based in objective evidence from actual marketing material. Who knows whether it's right, but to argue that there is literally no evidence that could allow someone to speculate like that is demonstrably wrong. It's like saying the shot of Rey holding a red lightsaber isn't evidence that could be used to speculate on a potential dark-side turn for her character; you're using your own conclusions to shut other people making innocent speculation up.

Also why do none of you ever just take the L and realise that RLM didn't actually create the time travel theory? They added to it, but dismissing it based on "RLM MADE IT!" is an incredibly lazy dismissal and at this point you must be intentionally ignoring that fact.

so old things appear in the new movie and you jump directly to TIME TRAVEL?!

Plum

May 31, 2018

No, old things appearing isn't the evidence, it's that those old things are ones that have been shown to either be lost or destroyed (execpt the medal which is definitely flimsy). Intentionally reducing it down like that is being intentionally disingenuous.

But, as I said, this is speculation. What is so harmful about speculation that you feel the need to call people "crazy" for doing it?

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Just so you know RLM is not even close to being the first ones to report about time travel in this movie. There is "some" credence to the theory. I know I know, TIME TRAVEL IN STAR WARS IS SUPER DUPER WACKY!!!!!!!111 But let's just wait until the movie comes out before dismissing it

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just so you know RLM is not even close to being the first ones to report about time travel in this movie. There is "some" credence to the theory. I know I know, TIME TRAVEL IN STAR WARS IS SUPER DUPER WACKY!!!!!!!111 But let's just wait until the movie comes out before dismissing it

I've pointed this out multiple times and it's been ignored at every instance.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Rather than time travel, could the ships just have been stashed away? Occam's Razor and all that.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
the whole "paning" shot of rey's face looks like something created for the trailer. her face is off, the hood doesnt match head. and in the wide shot, it doesnt even look like rey, more like a de-aged keri russel.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's kinda funny how, really, Ben and Rey are both foils of Anakin. On one hand, you've got Ben who is the polar opposite of Anakin in every way. On the other, you've got Rey who is identical to Anakin in all but one way - the Jedi and the Sith didn't exist, so they couldn't sink their teeth into her.

Maybe Rey is who Anakin would've grown up to be if the Jedi never found him.

They're not even close to the same. Anakin had a loving mommy. Not that it matters, because these new movies entirely ignore character backgrounds unless they can conveniently move the plot forward.

Oct 25, 2017
Rather than time travel, could the ships just have been stashed away? Occam's Razor and all that.

That's my assumption at this point. A secret stash that's been in hiding for decades. Or a secret stash that's been built during those decades.
I grow increasingly worried about the potential for time travel shenanigans but until proven otherwise I'm assuming no time travel.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is the folding meant to make lightsaber easier to fit into your carry-on luggage?
on your hips

That's my assumption at this point. A secret stash that's been in hiding for decades. Or a secret stash that's been built during those decades.
I grow increasingly worried about the potential for time travel shenanigans but until proven otherwise I'm assuming no time travel.

i mean, we know from battlefront 2 that the emperor had backup plans

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Tbh a stash sounds more plausible than time travel. Like the Empire were probably like "lol" to the New Republic's demilitarization demands and just hid them somewhere.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yeah just to clarify I don't really subscribe to the time travel theory right now, but I think it's still a possibility. I'm just trying to call out people trying to crush all discussion of it as if it wasn't just harmless speculation.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So these look like Imperial Star Destroyers rather than First Order. Definitely not Resurgent class. That's interesting. Specifically the older Imperial 1 Class destroyers from the R1/ANH era, I'd say. Weeiiiiird.

That plus the "Sith" Troopers (even though the sith are supposedly dead and Snoke/Ren were not sith), makes me think a certain Senate has kept his own forces hidden away for a long while. Perhaps while puppeteering the First Order/Snoke from afar.
4HjmgLl.jpg

But they're not without modifications. On the above picture you can barely perceive a red outline following the edge. The last Star Destroyer to have a sort of red paint job was the prequel era Venator class, though this is on a seemingly OT era destroyer.
More importantly, on the bottom they seem to have new installations. Large indents toward the front with what I'd guess are big ol' lasers. It's probably one of those that's causing the large red beam seen in the trailer.
UwBLMKH.jpg

The folding double bladed saber is neat. I'm guessing this is a fakeout. A vision or something. I'm not buying it. Harder to get a good look at in motion but easier in this still.
I'm a fan of folding double blades, like the temple guards. Moreso than standard double blades. So I'm hoping it does make a legitimate appearance in a fight.
aUVLc4F.jpg

In the forest it looks like Rey is training. See the little training remote dodging her blade?
I wonder if this is self motivated or if she's being guided by someone.
d46raSK.jpg

Also, right before I captured that shot I happened to pause at a funny frame.
DRgVurt.jpg

Creepio is canon. Is it any coincidence that this foreboding shot of Creepio is what immediately follows "COMES TO AN END"?
THE SINGULARITY ENGINE WILL RISE AGAIN
PXvXPEV.gif

This is going to be such good fodder for Auralnauts.
My bet on why it's only that class of Star Destroyer is that because ILM already built a model for them for Rogue One.

Possibly story reason... idk maybe when Palpatine had them commissioned originally he had them designed to be compatible with a potential super laser installation that isn't present on the Class II SDs. So all of the Class IIs were used in the construction of the Resurgent class SD while the Class Is were used for development of that super laser battery and stashed away for Palpatine's use when he returned.

I wonder if the Eclipse will show up?

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
The first 45 second of this trailer are hype. Tough to feel anything measures up to the OT