m9lVoA9.jpg

7ngnbEr.jpg

sizrYcn.jpg

qercF2g.jpg

ncEmxcR.png

CLICK HERE FOR TV SPOTS AND OTHER VIDEOS

5JEMxk2.png

Previously on Star Wars ERA

The Rise of Skywalker has dawned upon this galaxy and the reaction has been... mixed. For some viewers, the ending was a satisfying conclusion to three trilogies of movies with spectacular space battles and superb action from the cast in general as Rey struggles with the latest bombshell dropped at her lap. For others... it was a mess of a movie with an overstuffed plot, haphazard pacing and narrative directions that deviated from The Last Jedi. Needless to say, for those who hoped this movie would bring balance to the Star Wars fanbase, it only further fractured the factions as arguments from logistics to whether it threatened the integrity of the franchise continue to this day. As for the critics, they have made their voices heard... and handed this film the worst score in franchise history. All while twitter users (and the OP) have found new ways to eviscerate the movie.

Not helping things in the matter have been attempts from JJ Abrams, Chris Terrio and the cast to do damage control from clarifying what Finn wanted to tell Rey in that sinkhole to the reason for sidelining Rose Tico. All of this has only deepened the divide. Worse yet, the script to Colin Trevorrow's ill-fated Duel of the Fates have released... and fans are decrying that to be the superior product. Yes, people think the guy who made Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom created a better baseline of a movie than JJ Abrams. And that doesn't even get to the speculation about what exactly went down post-production with some sketchy figures theorizing last-minute editing going into the film. This truly is the worst timeline.

All this and more will be discussed in this thread. All spoilers and theorycrafting are still allowed in the open. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. Now if you excuse me, I'll go back to thinking about the next plot hole this movie has.

The early draft of Duel of the Fates: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLe...bert_meyer_burnett_reviews_an_early_draft_of/

Rotten Tomatoes: 52 Metacritic: 54

First OT (and true creator of the OT, the late MMarston): Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker |OT| Revenge of a Sith (SPOILERS NOW OPEN)

And as always: May The Force Be With You

giphy.gif

Last edited:

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Hope these guys get a long running super high quality animated show... love most of the cast.

enjoyed the movie although it's not very satisfying since it just makes me want more

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
How did TLJ garner more discussion than the finale of the skywalker saga.

TLJ top 2 dead or alive.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Congrats to all the people who complained and caused Disney to course correct. Fuck this stupid " turn off your brain! Why can't you just Have 'fun' !" mess of a film.

Now I can ignore this thread too and continue to forget this absolute nonsense film exists.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people hate the jet pack storm troopers anyway? Never really understood that, they've been canon for years
No one hates them I don't think, it's just the absurdity that JJ/the trailers/the movie expected the audience to have it's mind blown by jetpack stormtroopers. Hence the comedic bit of the characters doing the "THEY FLY NOW!" "THEY FLY NOW?!" "THEY FLY NOW!" bit that did not deliver the intended effect and became a meme for not delivering.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I think I resent JJ fucking up the Knights of Ren more than anything else.

They're a miniboss squad of supervillains. You don't really have to develop them in a meaningful way, you just need to give them some basic personalities for Kylo Ren to bounce off of, and that's it. And they're YOUR characters, JJ. Rian didn't touch them specifically so you could do your own thing with them.

And....they're just regular mooks. Not even significantly stronger than the trash mob that is Stormtroopers.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I knew the Jobbers were really fucked when Rian didn't do anything with them, he had a nice enough reason for not using them but now we got two movies of them being kicked down the road and the last one was always going to have a lot on its plate.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Hey guys, what's up? Ready for another 400 pages of quality discussion?

I'm sure I'll find something new to complain about.

How did TLJ garner more discussion than the finale of the skywalker saga.

TLJ top 2 dead or alive.
Damn, you're right. TLJ was already on its third OT. Though I do remember the debate was fierce between those who loved and hated that film. In this case. it's a mix of those burned from TLJ and those burned by this movie.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I knew the Jobbers were really fucked when Rian didn't do anything with them, he had a nice enough reason for not using them but now we got two movies of them being kicked down the road and the last one was always going to have a lot on its plate.
Like, if I had it my way, I'd just take TLJ's queue of Hux hating the living shit out of Kylo Ren, so he tries to take him out of power politically within the FO. And he'd succeed since the rest of the FO hates him. So Kylo Ren calls in the knights of Ren and they act as his top guys so that he has some allies to keep the FO in line. And like 4 of them are don't have much to say and they're kind of like how they are in TRoS and silent or just uninvested in the FO, but you have one or two of them that have a lot of personality. Like, idk, one of them could be constantly trying to challenge Kylo Ren or the other one could go the opposite and actually be friendly with Ren, and those two knights of Ren get the most screentime in the movie. And you have one of them and one of the silent knights of Ren die to show theat there are steaks, but the other 4 knights of Ren survive the movie and are just left for the EU to do something cool with. You can have Finn or Poe have some rapport with the talky ones or something

idk, just have SOME flicker of characterization here. Goddamn.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I like how Ben kills all the Knights in the end but the minimum development we should have gotten was at least some sense of growing conflict between him and the Knights.

For example, reforming the mask because of the Knights, and hiding his not going alone with the Emperor's plan from the Knights.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I still liked it, despite the incredibly questionable pacing, editing. And story beats lol.

In fact, I liked ALL THREE of the ST. :O Happy as a clam.

I love Rey, and am currently obsessed with Oscar Isaac (and by extension, Poe. Along with his canon Life Partner and Co-General, Finn). Happy day.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
On the subject of the Knights, I think even just a bit more personality to their fight choreography when they all get killed would have gone a long way. The Praetorian Guard left more of an impression, even dressed in near-identical all-red armour, solely because they did some memorable things before they died. There's that one guy who trapped Rey's lightsabre with his whip sword and started reeling her in arm over arm, there's the dude who twirls his little swords and makes Rey scream at him, there's that one who gets his shit all chewed up in the electro-blender, and who can forget the one who actually gets Kylo in a chokehold and takes a lightsabre through the face for his troubles? I couldn't name a single Praetorian Guard or tell you which Friend/Sex and the City character they represented, but those boys and girls definitely left an impression.

When I try to think of any standout thing a Knight of Ren did in this movie... I've got nothing. For all their different armour, signature weapons, supposedly different personalities, they basically just skulk in the background for a few scenes, then at end they pretty much stand there and die. I have no memory of that one with the cricket bat actually using his cricket bat. Cruel scythe guy? Nothing. Apparently one of them had a rifle? Where was that? The only part of their fight I remember is when Ben does that big Superman leap over the top of the last one to stab him in the back.

To be fair, though, I think action scenes and choreography are probably the first thing to suffer when a movie is under a really tight shooting timeline like this. The actors and stuntmen have to drill that choreography for months to get it looking good, the cameraman has to be learning choreography of his own to frame every move perfectly, it's probably a nightmare for the film crew having to reset between every shot when they're actually filming it. In the TLJ fight even the score is sync'd up to the action choreography, and that kind of thing doesn't happen without a whole lot of planning. TROS has a lot of those telltale shots where the actors are running through the steps at like 75% energy, while the camera is just sort of pointed at them, not really framing the action in any interesting way. Lots of shots where Kylo's big blocky ass is obscuring Rey in the frame. The ending fight where Ben kills the Knights and Rey kills... some guys is really just visual noise; between the dark lighting, the strobe effect, the whirlwind editing and everyone but Rey wearing drab colours it ranks like 9/10 on the Can't-See-Shit-o-Meter.

So, like, in hindsight, maybe the Knights should have been the dudes in the TLJ Throne Room fight, but back when TLJ was being shot nobody could have known they were going to end up like this :P

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_inline_o78dakgOVX1s4ubd6_540.gifv

I hope we had a follow up on this moment between Finn and Kylo, it could have been the opposite scenario with Finn sensing the conflict in him.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_inline_o78dakgOVX1s4ubd6_540.gifv

I hope we had a follow up on this moment between Finn and Kylo, it could have been the opposite scenario with Finn sensing the conflict in him.

If Finn, Jannah and the rest of the Millennium Falcon squad had just waited a couple of minutes while Ben was having his moment with Memory Han on the Death Star they could have given him a lift back.

Is it too late to go back for reshoots?

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've come around on enjoying this movie as messy as it is... still nowhere near as great as TLJ though.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
If Finn, Jannah and the rest of the Millennium Falcon squad had just waited a couple of minutes while Ben was having his moment with Memory Han on the Death Star they could have given him a lift back.

Is it too late to go back for reshoots?
I thought of this too, would have been nice to see Ben convincing them to trust them - AND you get a better opportunity for Finn to show his Force sensitivity by sensing that he's turned - and Ben finally on the Falcon. Finding the dice which faded away in his hands in TLJ.

On another note, rewatching bits of the prequels and I had the thought that Ben holding Rey's dead body in his arms actually mirrors not just Anakin wanting to save Padme, but Anakin holding Shmi's lifeless body in his arms and not being able to save her.

JWVET00PeZPVEEGhQxVs5uAQhJix22oNMPhkuSKIYxB30YvogGpHFYKPvz5dxccOVGqX7hWhPbl_-NDd6Lz2VSA3UB32L0BjwDfseHLDQf2K23ZsQbe2QdD8GX7Ii4GAzPiSYp04h4ke

EMmmnleXUAElUsY.jpg

I think it's incredibly fitting that the last (biological) Skywalker who wanted to be like his grandfather gives his life to save someone from death.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought of this too, would have been nice to see Ben convincing them to trust them - AND you get a better opportunity for Finn to show his Force sensitivity by sensing that he's turned - and Ben finally on the Falcon. Finding the dice which faded away in his hands in TLJ.

On another note, rewatching bits of the prequels and I had the thought that Ben holding Rey's dead body in his arms actually mirrors not just Anakin wanting to save Padme, but Anakin holding Shmi's lifeless body in his arms and not being able to save her.

JWVET00PeZPVEEGhQxVs5uAQhJix22oNMPhkuSKIYxB30YvogGpHFYKPvz5dxccOVGqX7hWhPbl_-NDd6Lz2VSA3UB32L0BjwDfseHLDQf2K23ZsQbe2QdD8GX7Ii4GAzPiSYp04h4ke

EMmmnleXUAElUsY.jpg

I think it's incredibly fitting that the last (biological) Skywalker who wanted to be like his grandfather gives his life to save someone from death.
I like this detail.

Ayeffen

Jan 27, 2020
London, UK
Overall my takeaway is that as a SW fan I was thrilled that there were more films. The manner in which they've been created through I have trouble with. The lack of real creative control over the story arc caused so much to become half-baked. The return to Palpatine felt cheap along with Rey's connection to him.

If anything I wish George had managed to get another trilogy through 10 years ago so we may have been introduced to Luke and Leia at an earlier stage of establishing the New Republic and the new Jedi Order.

The Rise of Skywalker actually made me realise how much I liked The Last Jedi, after being told to hate it by the internet.... 🤣

I am optimistic about the future of Star Wars - Rogue One and The Mandalorian have set the scene for more contained stories which have all of the best attributes of the other feature films. I'm looking forward to finding out more about Kenobi and the "Old Republic" film(s) which are being planned.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
How did that entire arena of Sith, or was it Imperial, devotees get to Exegol?
Those were Sith cultists who lived on the planet and presumably brought the emperor back. Absolutely none of it is explained in the movie but Exegol is actually an inhabited planet. The Sith troopers and people that built the huge star destroyer fleet were living there, not part of the First Order.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
How bad was the Wedge cameo. Just straight trash and another way to sum up the hollow mess that it is.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This movie wasnt deserving of a second OT. What a heap of trash this was.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
He had on the full gear, why isn't he leading a unit or something interesting with his son.

The whole space battle was absolutely awful anyway.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
"They" fly now, but this trilogy certainly didn't fly anywhere, and that's sad!

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

God, this is still just cool as hell. I have talked a whole lot of shit about this movie, but Rey flip-slicing Kylo's TIE Fighter is just pristine, immaculate, flawless, 100% perfect and I love it.

I will unreservedly present the award for Best Flips in Star Wars to The Rise of Skywalker. Flips have never been as good as they are here. Look at that goddamn flip.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
God, this is still just cool as hell. I have talked a whole lot of shit about this movie, but Rey flip-slicing Kylo's TIE Fighter is just pristine, immaculate, flawless, 100% perfect and I love it.

I will unreservedly present the award for Best Flips in Star Wars to The Rise of Skywalker. Flips have never been as good as they are here. Look at that goddamn flip.
It was flippin' awesome, same with that flip Ben did on the Knight of Ren

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, moment to moments, this movie have some very cool stuff in it. Too bad they weaved them into such a bad script.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
This movie has such good flips that it even pulls off the rare Flip Subversion. When Rey and Kylo are fighting on the Death Star wreckage, they both jump over the first wave, establishing a precedent for wave flips. So when the second wave comes, Rey executes a gorgeous backflip over it, then she looks upward thinking that Kylo's going to come flipping over it right after her... only to realise that Kylo, the absolute mad lad, has only gone and walked through the wave.

giphy.gif

Top 10 Kylo Ren moment