• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does not being able to fly seamlessly between planets hamper your hype for Starfield?

• No, my hype levels have not changed.

Votes: 1,741 56.9%
  • Yes, I am now less hype for the game.

Votes: 1,318 43.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Doesn't bother me at all.

Much smaller scope? Lol cmon.
Discourse around this game already sucks. 🤣
Expectations on BGS aren't placed on any other studio.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I didn't really expect it to, even though I'd like it. It makes sense, that's probably super difficult to do on a technical level.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I could tell with the way they kept cutting to the landing cutscenes. I was massively disappointed when it was like this with Destiny and it sucks its a thing here too. There's just something so cool about taking off and seeing the atmosphere change as you reach space or vice versa with re-entry.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize that seamless planet transition is what made NMS good, the more you know

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Well, I can understand why, but it is one of my favorite features of No Man Sky.

And of Starlink actually.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, those of us paying attention were pretty sure it wasn't going to work that way anyway, so yeah.. it doesn't really change anything.

I have Elite Dangerous if I really need that fix.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
So you can't fly around the planet, so? This is a non issue.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Seamless transition makes sense not being included as it would greatly change the game. It not being there is completely ok with me and has zero impact on my interest.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah disappointing. Love landing etc.. In Elite Dangerous. I just hope the flying is more Sim than Arcade. But I suspect it will be more arcade which will be a shame.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
it really isn't *that* important but sure it's going to have animpact on immersion and feel and for some folks it's gonna be a huge disappointment for sure. my question is how long will it take to load in? these next gen systems are supposed to have super fast loads so im imagining itll be fine

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Well that sucks. I was 100% hoping you could manually fly and land on any particular spot. Would have really helped with immersion.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Making a space game emphasizing exploration and not giving you the ability to explore sucks. I would rather look at a planet while flying and then manually go to it. The feeling of discovery in space games is lost without that aspect.

Absolutely huge shocker and a bummer.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
How on earth does a cinematic masking loading transition from on planet gameplay to space flight reflect on the "scope" of the game in any way?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I never felt that Starfield was going to be a space sim or anything like that. I'm okay without that.

Flying Seamlessley to a Main Quest area/zone, seems like it would have been a massive undertaking.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
Jesus christ, people need to bring themselves back down to reality about this game. Reading some of the takes over the last couple of days has been wild. There has to be limitations somewhere. Not everything can be vast and infinite, yet completely handcrafted and without boundaries.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a problem with the way it works; I just think it's a bit of a bad quote? It's important to me!

I mean, I'm still playing this, and I'd buy it if it wasn't free on Game Pass. It's just weird to tell me that this isn't important to me.

Arcoril

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with this. Development time is finite and it was probably better spent elsewhere.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not too disappointed but I am if that means you can't fly your ship in atmosphere. But I guess it might mean that.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Why does this matter other than there being a load screen?

"If you try to really spend a lot of time engineering the in-between, like that segue, you're just spending a lot of time [on something] that's really just not that important to the player," Howard reasoned. "So let's make sure it's awesome when you're on the surface and awesome when you're in space, and those realities look and play as good as they can be."

This is a perfectly reasonable explanation. The transition between space and the surface in No Man's Sky was cool the first couple of times but I pretty much forgot about it almost immediately afterwards

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's not something that absolutely needed to be done. Warframe has been struggling with adding this for years. It's nice if it's there, but that transition is absolutely not needed.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Wait I think people are confused? From my understanding you can fly from one planet to another but you can't seamlessly fly from space and land on a planet.

Can someone confirm?

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
If anything it gives me hope that the planets might be more interesting that some of the boring, 1 biome style planets in Nomansky.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My initial response was "Who cares tbh", but thinking more on it, I guess I get it for those that care. Big budget game and all

But yea, not remotely a dealbreaker

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the disappointed camp since I find it really amazing being able to fly around the entire planet when I do it in Star Citizen. I was hoping for kind of the same thing and being able to explore but I'm still really looking forward to the game.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Some people really want Bethesda to make a functioning Star Citizen on top of Starfield

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I can understand why, but it is one of my favorite features of No Man Sky.

And of Starlink actually.

Where I'm at. I get it, its probably a nightmare to do the seamless travel thing on the level of Starfield's assets without a lot of performance and lod issues (which NMS has) when touching down on a planet.

I don't really need it, but one of the things I love the most in NMS is being able to fly around while on the planet. The takeoff and landing is great but its that ability to scout across a whole planet in the air that's the big draw for me. I hope Starfield at least lets you do that but I get it'd probably break progression for certain areas WRT quests. Maybe a middle ground aerial vehicle that flies only at a certain altitude limit, NMS has a few of those.