vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Wish DF got hands on early and give best modes
Given they had a one day turnaround for fo4 fix they probably will have a video out tomorrow lol.

I noticed the patch notes mention improvements for lighting and shadowing under trees and foliage. Anyone have screenshots on New Atlantis or on some dense planet? I recall that being a common gripe about the shading

Jul 7, 2021
Have we heard anything on when we cna expect the first DLC?

I think the game itself was very light on content. This was the first Bethesda game I actually beat within the first month. Something I've never done before with Beth games. Usually I spend months doing side quests and taking on interesting content and exploring before finallly beating the game sometimes (Oblivion) a year after release.

With this game it was more like visit two main cities, get involved with the pirates, do that one same some boring repetitive quest and the end.

I want more factions, more reqarding exploration, and more meaty quests, cause I like everything else about the game. The ship combat is fun, creating and decorating the ship is more fun than any other building stuff in previous Beth games, and the combat is fun too. But I feel like I played for that one month and saw everything that is worthy of spending the time to see.

I'm hoping the first DLC and maybe mods will get this game up to where it should be.

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023
Given they had a one day turnaround for fo4 fix they probably will have a video out tomorrow lol.

I noticed the patch notes mention improvements for lighting and shadowing under trees and foliage. Anyone have screenshots on New Atlantis or on some dense planet? I recall that being a common gripe about the shading
Now that you mention it I remember noticing forests were a lot darker, trees didn't have as much light leaking, but I thought those were my mods, interested in seeing some comparisons

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

I think the game itself was very light on content. This was the first Bethesda game I actually beat within the first month. Something I've never done before with Beth games. Usually I spend months doing side quests and taking on interesting content and exploring before finallly beating the game sometimes (Oblivion) a year after release.

With this game it was more like visit two main cities, get involved with the pirates, do that one same some boring repetitive quest and the end.

I want more factions and more meaty quests.
This fall. September or October i think was mentioned by tom Warren?

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK

I want more factions, more reqarding exploration, and more meaty quests, cause I like everything else about the game. The ship combat is fun, creating and decorating the ship is more fun than any other building stuff in previous Beth games, and the combat is fun too.
This year is the only thing we have heard so far - see above.

Expect a blowout at the Summer Showcase, where I believe they have confirmed they will talk about the DLC - along with the Creation Kit (which is arguably more exciting in terms of content being added).

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
When selecting 60fps it moves the quality setting to performance. After that you can choose to move it back to visual tho if you want

Jul 7, 2021
This fall. September or October i think was mentioned by tom Warren?

This year is the only thing we have heard so far - see above.

Expect a blowout at the Summer Showcase, which I believe they have confirmed they will talk about - along with the Creation Kit (which is arguably more exciting in terms of content being added).

Thanks guys. Awesome, so Fall is what I'm waiting for, not too bad, I was worried it would be a Elden Ring situation.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I want more factions and more meaty quests.
The expansion, Shattered Space is targeting September, according to Tom Warren.

The update video hinted at a bounty hunting feature, which could be a separate update before Shattered Space. And then there's the land vehicle, which could also be before September.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
When selecting 60fps it moves the quality setting to performance. After that you can choose to move it back to visual tho if you want
Interesting! Good for the casuals, I guess.

I'm eager to hear impressions about Quality + 60fps/uncapped. I generally have a good tolerance with VRR enabled as long as there aren't huge lurches or stutters.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
def some stutters in Visuals-40FPS while running around New Atlantis. not terrible but they exist.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Happy console players can play it at 60fps now. The game the smooth as butter on PC. I wonder if this update will break my console commands though. I have so much shit I won't be able to move if it does!

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023
vixolus

Rescued an old screenshot and went to the same planet on this patch, big difference

jYwpRe8.jpg

Gck9fab.jpeg

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting! Good for the casuals, I guess.

I'm eager to hear impressions about Quality + 60fps/uncapped. I generally have a good tolerance with VRR enabled as long as there aren't huge lurches or stutters.

I just tried Quality/Uncapped and there are huge lurches running/jumping around New Atlantis.

edit: Neon is fine!

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
New Atlantis runs bad on my 4080.

60fps and the new lighting make this game stunning. Yes, there's a lot of copy and paste and definitely too many load screens but there's a good game in there.
No 60 on Series S seems kind of lame considering I can get it there on my Ally. Excited to finish it.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Ok it may be because I have an advanced save but this is nowhere near 60 in performance mode even when in empty space.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to hop back into this but it'll be awhile. I need to give a lot of attention to game pass games I've let sit in my backlog, good thing is once I get back there will be be more improvements.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
New Atlantis runs bad on my 4080.

60fps and the new lighting make this game stunning. Yes, there's a lot of copy and paste and definitely too many load screens but there's a good game in there.
No 60 on Series S seems kind of lame considering I can get it there on my Ally. Excited to finish it.

My 4080 did not put in work here until I upgraded my CPU. Moving to an x3D variant did *wonders* for my New Atlantis frame rate.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
I have totally forgotten how to play this game. First impressions are good on visual mode with 60fps with VRR.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Alright.

Initial impressions are very good. Quality @ 60 FPS seems to work pretty decently in the New Atlantis city areas. It might be dropping frames but VRR is doing a great job smoothing it out on a perception level. There is a V-Sync option but it's greyed out and fixed to On for me, so not sure how that can be changed.

Think I'm gonna stick to the Quality 60hz mode here.

Quick off-screen video (since I can't exactly show VRR benefits in direct captures):

And a quick comparison between 30 FPS Quality and 60 FPS Performance (the two ends). 60 FPS is softer but it's not anywhere close to the FFVII Rebirth Quality vs Performance kind of divide, at least in this one area. Also added a 40hz Quality screen. 30hz and 40hz seem interchangeable.

30hz Quality:

Qbu046n.jpeg

40hz Quality:

qpc9bSv.jpeg

60hz Performance:

EsWDAM4.jpeg

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah there's something fishy even when on barren planets it seems to run at 50 something in Performance mode like what the heck is going on.

Others seem to have a decent experience so maybe it's an issue on my setup but what's the point of consoles now lol

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
That's also how I read it but hoping it's not literally true. Would seem like a strange restriction especially since they offer a v sync option, so they aren't trying to force prevention of screen tearing in all cases or something.
40fps on a 60hz display makes no sense. Might as well aim for 60. You'll get judder even with a perfect 40 on a 60hz display.

Also I don't think the Xbox can sync at other than 60hz outside of VRR shenanigans.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
DF just put a video up about 4 minutes ago as I type this. Going to start watching it right now.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Seems they are pretty happy with it. And call it succesfull. Locked 60fps is off the table. But all options give a smoother starfield experience and people can find the one that works for them

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
DF: 60fps performance mode with vrr the sweet spot
But argument to be made to us the other options

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure if it's because I have an advanced save (it's probably just that), but forget playing at any kind of stable 60 when you've played the game for more than a few hours it seems.

I don't have those near perfect readouts. I have no tool, but I know judder when I see it.

And I see it a lot.

Edit: Technically I do see a perfect 60 on the galaxy map. But that's about it. Maybe in some simple interiors …

Gonna test some more.