Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
User warned: Trolling
Lol, wtf? What is Bethesda doing? Also not releasing The Elder Scrolls 6 before 2028 and only 10% of the planets in Starfield containing life.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
First Alan Wake II and now this. I really hope these don't become the norm, physical is way better for me.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
Hasn't Phil Spencer talked about game preservation and stuff like that in the past? Glad to know he was just blowing smoke out his ass.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
They said something like this with Redfall and then backpedaled didn't they?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Wut

Can't even use the excuse of "It won't sell" like what happened to Ghostwire Tokyo on Xbox

My guess if i'm being nice is that the the game is going to release hot (Not hot as in bad/broken) but that they're basically going to be updating it up until the release. So having a master disc a month out for printing just wasn't gonna work out as it would basically be a coaster anyway.

With that said, they better release a physical when all the DLC and such is out.

Might as well go digital. Why waste the plastic?

Also this.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
But why?

Seriously, how expensive are printing costs for companies to do this? I am pissed with PlayStation doing this for uber expensive Collector's Edition too, what an absolute joke.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I hate this trend because you know at some point the servers will be shut off and these games just no longer exist outside of pirating it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why even buy games anymore if this is the way the industry wants to trend? Just gross. I'm still pissed about Alan Wake 2.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Ooh nice. Maybe I'll actually pick up a physical version then in the future.
This is nice because the game is Xbox Play Anywhere, so now even buying a physical version you get the game for Xbox and PC at once. Pretty nifty tbh

Definitely better than having a worthless disk stub that doesn't even have the full game on it

miguelfcp

May 6, 2022
Portugal
It will be a matter of time that physical editions on consoles will be like PC. Almost unavailable and when exist is just a code

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
What's the point lol?
Hasn't Phil Spencer talked about game preservation and stuff like that in the past? Glad to know he was just blowing smoke out his ass.
Phil was talking about stuff like emulators for "backwards compatibility". Considering Xbox is the only one that has actually allowed users to play their owned games through "emulators" without having to be subscribed to their service, doesn't seem like he was out of pocket.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
First Alan Wake II and now this. I really hope these don't become the norm, physical is way better for me.
Start coming in terms with it. This is only going to get more common. This is the last generation with discs unfortunately.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to assume someone made a mistake, otherwise I guess I will just be playing on GP instead of dropping $70.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You would think it would make more sense to just sell it as a download card rather than as a big empty plastic box

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wait, so this means you can't trade in the game, or sell it?

That fucking sucks big time.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeh this sucks, at this point they should just make it digital and avoid all that waste.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to assume someone made a mistake, otherwise I guess I will just be playing on GP instead of dropping $70.

Realistically, this is probably what Microsoft wants. To disincentivize buying retail copies as much as possible so people are needled into playing on Game Pass instead to puff their numbers up.

Yogi.

Feb 3, 2023
Ooh nice. Maybe I'll actually pick up a physical version then in the future.
This is nice because the game is Xbox Play Anywhere, so now even buying a physical version you get the game for Xbox and PC at once. Pretty nifty tbh

This is far from nice and nifty. Those who want Play Anywhere could've just gotten digital and now physical buyers are stuck with a code.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't care very much about physical (I'm a PC player first and foremost so that ship has sailed for me) but what frustrates me is that this is just a massive waste of plastic.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I honestly think this might be an error on Bethesda Support's part and they might be confusing the standard edition with the collector's. Guess we'll see soon enough.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
I hate it, but its inevitable. Physical collectors, we are in the endgame now.

PallasKitten

Jul 11, 2022
This is even worse than Alan Wake 2. How many people are going to buy the "physical" version not knowing it's just a code in the box?

Guess I'll be waiting years on Starfield for a deep discount or an actual physical version...

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
At least there is a physical version for spiderman

It's nice but what is the point of shipping an empty steelbook in a $250 Collectors? They did the same with Ragnarok. I bought it and there was a code instead.

Also, how hard it is to make 2 SKUs? One for Digital users, another for physical? This is Sony just being cheap and makes me very upset. Even $250 is not enough for them either!

DinkyBox

Feb 21, 2021
What's the point lol?

Phil was talking about stuff like emulators for "backwards compatibility". Considering Xbox is the only one that has actually allowed users to play their owned games through "emulators" without having to be subscribed to their service, doesn't seem like he was out of pocket.

This is not true. You can buy PS1, PS2 and PSP games on Playstation 5 and play them outside of a service. Some third party companies don't allow their games offerings to be bought, but most can be.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Redfall could probably fit on one disc. Starfield probably can't and they are too cheap to pay for multi disk retail copies.
good point. XSX can read the 100GB Bluray discs right? Given the min space spec it would require at least 2 discs in that case.

But what's curious is if these "physical" copies are just codes why don't they list Xbox Series S on the case too lol