Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I think I have one, but it's been a bit since I've played. It has the "Assassin's" tag on it because of the suppressor.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I think Shattered Space will come around August/September sort of near the 1 year mark.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of building my first outpost. I read Leviathan IV is a good place for it. Any other recommendations?

Also this has happened m a few times. My crew will suddenly be angry with me for something and they don''t make it clear what it was. I'll need to persuade them to calm them down, but I'm left unclear what caused it.

Just happened and I hadn' t done anything but kill a bunch of hostile spacers. No stray rounds hit anyone, there weren't even any non hostiles around. I didn't steal anything. Must be something I did a while ago and the conversation just didn't trigger for a while.

Last edited:

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I'm thinking of building my first outpost. I read Leviathan IV is a good place for it. Any other recommendations?
It entirely depends on what you want from outposts. For a cosy home base, just find a scenic view on a planet you love. If you're looking to build a manufacturing enterprise then there are some fantastic guides to follow. This one is ridiculously well put together:
The dude put together the most beautiful manual for it. Just look at these!
massive-xp-farm-schematics-for-making-every-advanced-v0-fdgw3mdqxyic1.png

massive-xp-farm-schematics-for-making-every-advanced-v0-nudmags7yyic1.png

massive-xp-farm-schematics-for-making-every-advanced-v0-m297fx73yyic1.png

I've now clocked over 200 hours played in Starfield, and still coming across the odd POI I've never seen before. I kinda wish they'd tweak the design a bit to limit repetition, because there are some POIs I ignore entirely now because of the repetition. Crashed ships were one of them because for me it was always the same large crashed freighter with nothing of any significant value. But then yesterday I found this crashed ship that I've never seen before. And I'm sure it's the kind of thing most people have seen, it's just odd that it took me 200 hours to draw this from the POI pool, and makes me wonder what else I haven't seen.
803284-1714071216.png

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It entirely depends on what you want from outposts. For a cosy home base, just find a scenic view on a planet you love. If you're looking to build a manufacturing enterprise then there are some fantastic guides to follow. This one is ridiculously well put together:

The dude put together the most beautiful manual for it. Just look at these!

I've now clocked over 200 hours played in Starfield, and still coming across the odd POI I've never seen before. I kinda wish they'd tweak the design a bit to limit repetition, because there are some POIs I ignore entirely now because of the repetition. Crashed ships were one of them because for me it was always the same large crashed freighter with nothing of any significant value. But then yesterday I found this crashed ship that I've never seen before. And I'm sure it's the kind of thing most people have seen, it's just odd that it took me 200 hours to draw this from the POI pool, and makes me wonder what else I haven't seen.
803284-1714071216.png
That's fantastic! I don't really want a guide that in depth though I think, just want to mess around with it for now. But I'll save it for future just in case. Ty for sharing.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I've now clocked over 200 hours played in Starfield, and still coming across the odd POI I've never seen before.
Yeah the whole game design around POIs is weird. There are like 5 or so designs which are repeated ad nauseam, and then you have like 20-something designs which are so rare you'll only encounter a few of then on any normal playthrough.

It's either bad game design (which is definitely a reasonable interpretation), but it also feels like they designed the game to be played a lot like their previous games, but the player base wasn't willing to for various reasons, leading to bad reception about POIs when they actually designed quite a lot of them between the random ones and all the quest specific POIs.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Todd's recent interview has been getting a lot of publicity, mostly for the Fallout talk, but there were some interesting Starfield mentions too.
  1. New patch dropping imminently, that will include something new for ship building.
  2. Shattered Space releasing in the fall.
  3. No release date to announce for the CK yet, but reconfirms some modders already have it in their hands.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Todd's recent interview has been getting a lot of publicity, mostly for the Fallout talk, but there were some interesting Starfield mentions too.
  1. New patch dropping imminently, that will include something new for ship building.
  3. No release date to announce for the CK yet, but reconfirms some modders already have it in their hands.
For #1 hopefully the ability to setup doors and ladders manually šŸ‘€

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Number 3 is interesting and likely means it'll be coming to the general public soon. Odds are they want some big, awesome mods to hit when it comes out as a way to help get the hype train rolling.

Shattered Space needed to be earlier than a year later, but ok.

New shipbuilding stuff sounds good, but I doubt it'll be too interesting.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I basically never touched shipbuilding in my play through. Wonder what this will bring

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Number 3 is interesting and likely means it'll be coming to the general public soon. Odds are they want some big, awesome mods to hit when it comes out as a way to help get the hype train rolling.
Yeah, I've been assuming for a while now that it will be talked up at the Xbox showcase in June, maybe a sizzle reel of what modders have created in it, and a very short time to release (if not shadow drop) of the first wave of Creation Club content alongside public CK release. Because like you suggest, I think a full year until Shattered Space is a bit much and the Creation Club could help fill that gap.

I basically never touched shipbuilding in my play through. Wonder what this will bring
It's fantastic if you like having a creative outlet. For me, in Fallout 4, that's what the settlement system provided. But they neutered that in Starfield, only allowing prefab placement rather than individual walls, floors, ceilings etc for custom builds. Whereas the ship builder provides a lot more of that customization detail I feel is missing from the outpost system. And crew members sandbox around all the habs you build to help bring it all together.

So I'm really interested to see what they do to build on it. I'd love some stairs... Weird to think how long we mocked BGS games for their lack of ladders. And now that we have them I'm like "actually, screw ladders. Give me stairs."

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Ok this is one crazy-ass update, surface maps, shop markers, ship decorator, 60fps options on XSX, and LOTS of difficulty options including survival elements.

Edit: Improved browsing interface for shops, more options for NG+ (traits), and land vehicle is confirmed to be added later.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I checked the beta out since it lists the lowered shield bug being fixed, but it does not fix it, at least retroactively, if at all.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth opting into the beta or should we just wait two weeks?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Is it worth opting into the beta or should we just wait two weeks?
They state that this beta is pretty stable and shouldn't change much until release.

It's up to you if you'd prefer to wait to be sure or for whatever other reason.

Latests betas went pretty smoothly.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I'm so glad console players are getting 40 and 60 fps options! And that should help future proof the console version of the game whenever new console hardware launches.

Ship decoration is excellent, but I'd still really like to see manual door and ladder placement added. I'm using a mod for it, and it improves the experience so much. Console players need this too.

Land vehicles... I'm not convinced they're going to improve the game as much as some people think they will. Exploration is mostly dull on planet surfaces not due to the speed of traversal, but due to the lack of emergent encounters and due to the repetitive POIs. Land vehicles will just speed up how quickly we reach the repeating POIs and increase the chances of reaching the invisible map boundaries. Vehicles could help, but only if they fix so many of the other issues. Spacing the fixed POIs out a lot more, so there are fewer of them (for less repetition) but making sure the space between them is more varied and interesting would be the fix imo. And vehicles could make that spacing out viable. But while the landscapes are still fairly wide and open, the fauna is as basic as No Man's Sky's fauna (spawn in, walk around in circles, murder anything that moves if you're flagged as a carnivore), and emergent encounters are incredibly bare bones, then I don't think vehicles will accomplish much of anything for that gameplay loop.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Land vehicles is something people asked for, probably something they've wanted to implement as well (it's kind of a staple of the genre), and I'd be very surprised if they don't play some role (albeit a minor one) in future DLC/expansions/etc.

Plus modding.

Edit: People are totally gonna mod Land Speeders.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Holy shit, friends! If this is legit...

Someone on reddit testing the way worlds load with map boundaries disabled in the latest beta patch. No longer crashing when you go beyond a certain threshold, flora/fauna still spawning and fully scannable unlike before, and the new map system works with all the extra space too.

So everything I just said above about vehicles alone not being the answer... seems like Bethesda understand that too and might well be working towards entire planets loaded into a single cell, with no more map boundaries. Which I have no doubt was their original goal, just never thought they might be working on addressing that themselves post-launch rather than leaving something like that to modders. And that opens up so many more opportunities if entire planets are traversable (atmospheric flight? Can the engine handle that loading speed?).

HBK

Oct 30, 2017

Someone on reddit testing the way worlds load with map boundaries disabled in the latest beta patch. No longer crashing when you go beyond a certain threshold, flora/fauna still spawning and fully scannable unlike before, and the new map system works with all the extra space too.

So everything I just said above about vehicles alone not being the answer... seems like Bethesda understand that too and might well be working towards entire planets loaded into a single cell, with no more map boundaries. Which I have no doubt was their original goal, just never thought they might be working on addressing that themselves post-launch rather than leaving something like that to modders. And that opens up so many more opportunities if entire planets are traversable (atmospheric flight? Can the engine handle that loading speed?).
If this is confirmed, that's gotta be the most impressive engine rework ever in such a short time.

Fingers crossed.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

There'd still be an issue of not enough points of interest, but that'd be really awesome. Probably something they're doing in advance of the land vehicles.

That said, dogfights in atmosphere could be awesome as hell

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah the introduction of land vehicles would mean those invisible boundaries would be hit a lot more often so I hope they found a solution.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
If this is confirmed, that's gotta be the most impressive engine rework ever in such a short time.

Fingers crossed.
It really would be! And far beyond the kind of improvements and additions they've made to their previous games, so a great sign of commitment.
There'd still be an issue of not enough points of interest, but that'd be really awesome. Probably something they're doing in advance of the land vehicles.

That said, dogfights in atmosphere could be awesome as hell
Yep, but if they can also sort out stream loading / generation of POIs as you travel, then this is fantastic. Ideally, with far more variety in POI type. Especially natural POIs (I'm not a fan of how many man made structures there are at the moment, littering the surface of anywhere you land).

From all the pre-release interviews and tweets though, it really does sound like seamless open planets were the plan until very close to release. I'm glad they still seem like they're trying to get that working.
Yeah the introduction of land vehicles would mean those invisible boundaries would be hit a lot more often so I hope they found a solution.
Exactly. One of my big fears of land vehicles was how they might just highlight the bigger problems with planet-side gameplay. Good to see they might have found a solution to at least one of those problems =)

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I'm curious how well that no black loading screen mod works with the patch, once it's updated for it. If only to see if they're just focusing on in-planet streaming or if they're trying to push how well they can do in-planet to outer space transitions too.

At the very least making it easier for any hypothetical "fully seamless" mods...if they just don't do it themselves.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
You know, I'm curious how well that no black loading screen mod works with the patch, once it's updated for it. If only to see if they're just focusing on in-planet streaming or if they're trying to push how well they can do in-planet to outer space transitions too.

At the very least making it easier for any hypothetical "fully seamless" mods...if they just don't do it themselves.
Yeah I'd love to see them look at that too. Ever since seeing that Star Wars Outlaw gameplay, and seeing how they handle the surface-to-space transition. It works almost identically to Starfield (space and surface being two separate areas, rather than seamless) but while Starfield has a cool cutscene that transitions into a black loading screen, Outlaws uses a cloud layer to keep the cutscene going. I'd love to see Starfield integrate something similar.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2eDtuwGsKQ

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
For those that are playing the game on controller, did anyone else have a steep learning curve when it came to navigating the menus and piloting the ship?

I finally got my rig set up today and took the dive into the game and the majority of my time was spent being infinitely frustrated at the ship controls and the not so intuitive menus.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to hop back into this game for a bit, and besides performance still being butt, it remains completely boring. The amount of load screens just kills exploration.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Hey I have a dumb question.

How much should I sweat over my background and traits during character creation?

Are there any that are "must haves"?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

How much should I sweat over my background and traits during character creation?

new update lets you change them every NG+ so you have plenty of time to experiment with them later if you want. They're not really must haves anywhere, but Adoring Fan and Parents ones are pretty fun for the interactions they grant you which are unique (if you want that). But they aren't super *gameplay* related.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
new update lets you change them every NG+ so you have plenty of time to experiment with them later if you want. They're not really must haves anywhere, but Adoring Fan and Parents ones are pretty fun for the interactions they grant you which are unique (if you want that). But they aren't super *gameplay* related.
I saw the adoring fan, but does it get annoying?

And the parents one sounds fun. I was considering Wanted, extrovert, and needed another one. The parents one may be the ticket.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I saw the adoring fan, but does it get annoying?

And the parents one sounds fun. I was considering Wanted, extrovert, and needed another one. The parents one may be the ticket.
Woudln't know because I didn't pick it because I was afraid it would be lol. But a lot of people seemed to like it. There's a lot of funny lines from him apparently.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Woudln't know because I didn't pick it because I was afraid it would be lol. But a lot of people seemed to like it. There's a lot of funny lines from him apparently.
I had no idea there was stuff like this to choose. So I went to create a character and had no idea what to pick.

I've been looking at lists all day here at work lol

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
How's this been on steam deck with all the updates? Thinking of getting this on steam but wondering if it could run it at 40fps

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

Nothing to sweat over, they all have their selling points, but the O2 boosting traits are really useful long term. You'll spend a lot of time sprinting everywhere across planets to reach POIs.

Alien DNA is a must-have for me (the healing debuff isn't much of a problem given the prevalence of healing items, and the eventual pickup of cellular regen skill), and Serpent's Embrace is also fantastic since the buff is long lasting enough to always be up in my experience. Extrovert/introvert are great for O2 buffs too, but lock you into either having or not having companions forever.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Nothing to sweat over, they all have their selling points, but the O2 boosting traits are really useful long term. You'll spend a lot of time sprinting everywhere across planets to reach POIs.

Alien DNA is a must-have for me (the healing debuff isn't much of a problem given the prevalence of healing items, and the eventual pickup of cellular regen skill), and Serpent's Embrace is also fantastic since the buff is long lasting enough to always be up in my experience. Extrovert/introvert are great for O2 buffs too, but lock you into either having or not having companions forever.
I ended up going with Wanted, Kid Stuff, and Terra Firma. So far I dig it. The parents are cute and fun. Wanted hasn't really activated yet, but I assume that will be interesting. Terra Firma seemed like a no brainer because apparently most combat and running around takes place planetside.

I went with a scoundrel background. I imagine him as being a bit of a Spike Spiegel kind of guy.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Sprinting?

Skip-packs, baby! Sprint for just a second to set your speed, jump up in the air, then just tap the jetpack every couple of seconds to keep yourself off the ground. You'll maintain the same forward momentum. As long as you're not overencumbered, it won't deplete oxygen at all while you're skipping. It's especially handy coming off of very high places like mountains or tall buildings, you can skip for miles.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Sprinting?

Skip-packs, baby! Sprint for just a second to set your speed, jump up in the air, then just tap the jetpack every couple of seconds to keep yourself off the ground. You'll maintain the same forward momentum. As long as you're not overencumbered, it won't deplete oxygen at all while you're skipping. It's especially handy coming off of very high places like mountains or tall buildings, you can skip for miles.
This is true! I often forget that, because after my first playthrough I panicked about getting addicted to the jet packs, and wondered how well I'd manage in TES6 playing without them again. So I started a kind of challenge run where I never picked up the jet pack skill, and weirdly I loved it so much that I've stuck to that for all subsequent characters. It's quite surprising how much their level design is designed around players that don't have jet packs, but being a skill point I suppose it had to be done that way.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Man I jumped back into my 100 hour save after a few months away and have been playing non-stop again. Finally did the Crimson Fleet quest too, it was pretty interesting overall.

But I've been super intentional about exploring systems, planets, and finding unique POIs. And yesterday I found a pretty cool one that became a huge Eclipse ambush.

I don't remember which system, somewhere center left, but it was like "Neurodyne Biotic Lab". Something akin to that. A huge laboratory that has had planet and insect growth gone wild. Serious horror vibes. Bodies stuck to walls via vines.

Another time a found an abandoned space station that was completely looted, not even a med pack left, and there was Vaarun literature lying around.

Then I spent 5 hours decorating the fuck out of my penthouse. Good times.

crakmaks

Dec 3, 2018
Does anyone know, if the may update adds the ability to decide where to place doorways in the spaceship? I can't find anything about it in the release notes and don't want to download the full game just to see it's still missing.

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023
Does anyone know, if the may update adds the ability to decide where to place doorways in the spaceship? I can't find anything about it in the release notes and don't want to download the full game just to see it's still missing.
Nope, hope they add that in the future cause it's annoying af guessing where the door's going to end up

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Early reports say it's missing. You can redecorate but not place ladders nor doors.

crakmaks

Dec 3, 2018

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023
I've been really eager to play more after the latest patch but I think i'll wait till Shattered Space and start a new game with some mods if the CK is out by then, and hopefully the car is out too.

Also I went through the paid creations that are part of the new system in Skyrim and I was surprised by what they offered, they are a massive step up over the old system, some of them seem to be much much meatier and also quite cheap (most expensive one is like 8 bucks) so I'm really curious to see what we get for Starfield when the CK releases, I'm sure those modders that already have their hands on it are developing content for that shop.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I've been really eager to play more after the latest patch but I think i'll wait till Shattered Space and start a new game with some mods if the CK is out by then, and hopefully the car is out too.

Also I went through the paid creations that are part of the new system in Skyrim and I was surprised by what they offered, they are a massive step up over the old system, some of them seem to be much much meatier and also quite cheap (most expensive one is like 8 bucks) so I'm really curious to see what we get for Starfield when the CK releases, I'm sure those modders that already have their hands on it are developing content for that shop.
Yeah the Creations started off in a pretty weak spot, and had a lot of people questioning why they should pay money for small mods, especially when many of those Creations already had free mod equivalents available. But Bethesda raised the quality bar after that initial wave and they tend to offer far more substantial or unique content now. It will be interesting to see what Starfield offers here. Presumably we'll get an idea of that at the June Xbox showcase.

The upcoming patch looks like a great time to jump in with the new maps, ship decorations, and performance modes for consoles! If you enjoy the base game there's still a lot to do. I tend to start a new character after each patch, ignore Constellation entirely, and go on my merry way exploring planets, taking screenshots, and building ships =)

I'm getting very excited about all the backend improvements they're making to stream-loading, with the prospect of completely open worlds and all the ways modders can build on that (if Bethesda themselves don't). Atmospheric flight on worlds this pretty...

803284-1714490218.png

803284-1714490364.jpg