Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So I have about 10 hours into the game now. Here are my first impressions.

- The game so far is fantastic overall. It runs smooth as silk 60fps on my new rig and looks great. They have you go to New Atlantis which feels like the typical very idealized future city and then you go to Mars that's a shit hole. You see the wasteland that Earth has become. That happening just after you see New Atlantis did a great job of introducing me to the setting. Humanity has succeeded and spread out amongst the stars, but it was not a smooth journey. It was nearly a disaster. I really like that. It gives everything a bit of weight.

- The gunplay is alright. It's Bethesda so I was never expecting it to be perfect. I'm using a pistol build and it feels pretty light. The guns don't have the punchy recoil that I enjoy. The AI is also not that great. I've had enemies take cover with their back to me while I'm 3ft away so I just popped him in the head with my shotgun. But overall it's fine. I don't need it to feel like a competitive shooter.

- Exploration feels good. I have played No Man's Sky where exploration is amazing and I've played Elite Dangerous where the exploration kinda sucked. This definitely feels in the middle. Although so far most of my exploration has been empty buildings, ecological sites, and caves. So my opinion on this might change.

- Ship building is absolutely fantastic. I love that I can just build my dream machine once I get the money and parts I need. A+ grade there.

- Ship piloting on the other hand feels terrible. Maybe it's because I'm new or because I'm playing with a controller. Maybe it's because I suck or because my ship isn't upgraded, but in ship fights I feel like I am always on the brink of catastrophe.

- Dialogue and story feels like a Bethesda game so far. It's fine. I'm not a fan of the zoom in but I hear that's changing with the May update. The dialogue feels like bog standard Bethesda fare. You meet people. You help them. They thank you. You get to toss around some snazzy quips here and there. "Character liked that". All the usual. All fine.

- Facial animations aren't the best, but not every game can be BG3 or some other fully Mocapped project. I also keep getting a strange animation on Sarah where her eyes are only half open. It's only on her. I haven't had it happen anywhere else. It's weird.

- Character creators feels....off. I can't quite put my finger on it, but my character just looks like an empty shell. Vacant stare. No emotion. Which isn't a big deal though because I play in First Person. I just thought I'd mention it.

- Companions are so far fine. Vasco and Sarah both have their charms. But I will say that the pathing for them is just as bad as the pathing in Skyrim and Fallout. On more than one occasion I have been walking through a space station or New Atlantis only to turn around and not have Sarah there. She is just gone. Stuck on something somewhere. She then teleports to me out of nowhere. I don't understand why Bethesda can't make companions actually follow you properly lol

I think that's about it for my first impressions. All in all I'm having a blast. I'm here at work actively thinking about playing it when I get home. That on its own should tell you how much fun I'm having.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Coyote Starrk
Make sure you get the ship perk that let's you use thrusters. Really helps.

There is a practice mission in MAST for ship combat which helps get the hang of things too.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I've found ship combat feels better when controlling from third person view tbh

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Yeah, use thrusters to turn. Also keep your speed bar central for faster turns, not maxed out. Start combat by boosting towards your opponents, then control your speed for a fast turn once you get to them so you end up behind them, and STAY behind them. They can't shoot you if you're behind them. Focus on the highest level ship first.

Also, if you get a warning about enemy missile lock on, boost to break the lock.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Coyote Starrk
Make sure you get the ship perk that let's you use thrusters. Really helps.

There is a practice mission in MAST for ship combat which helps get the hang of things too.
Yeah, use thrusters to turn. Also keep your speed bar central for faster turns, not maxed out. Start combat by boosting towards your opponents, then control your speed for a fast turn once you get to them so you end up behind them, and STAY behind them. They can't shoot you if you're behind them. Focus on the highest level ship first.

Also, if you get a warning about enemy missile lock on, boost to break the lock.
When you guys say thrusters are you talking about the boost? Or am I missing a different control?

I've found ship combat feels better when controlling from third person view tbh
I switched to 3rd person and it helped.

My main problem is that unless I just sit still it feels like jousting more than it does a dogfight.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
When you guys say thrusters are you talking about the boost? Or am I missing a different control?
You need to unlock in the skill tree « thrusters » which allow you to strafe a bit but most importantly « FA off » (as you played Elite 4).

Edit: Dogfighting isn't amazing but 1/ your starter ship is super low-grade, and most importantly 2/ ship battles feel « overtuned », even with end-game ships unless you're using some cheese enemies hit like trucks and in 1v3+ scenarios you'll have a hard time.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
You need to unlock in the skill tree « thrusters » which allow you to strafe a bit but most importantly « FA off » (as you played Elite 4).

Edit: Dogfighting isn't amazing but 1/ your starter ship is super low-grade, and most importantly 2/ ship battles feel « overtuned », even with end-game ships unless you're using some cheese enemies hit like trucks and in 1v3+ scenarios you'll have a hard time.
Okay I'll try to keep that in mind.

Is ship combat going to be one of the adjustable difficulties in that new update that's coming?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017

Is ship combat going to be one of the adjustable difficulties in that new update that's coming?
Of course. It's probably the most requested difficulty option.

Ship combat starts relatively easy but quickly ramps up even if you upgrade your ship.

It's one of those nasty side effects with level scaling (even if this game only uses partial level scaling).

Your ship only improves so much with component upgrades (and perks a bit), whereas enemy ships just get straight out stat boosts.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
also be aware that the sweet spot for your thruster is in that solid white area on the meter/gauge.

Target lock on systems + thrusters or whatever to do space drifting helps a lot. I'm not sure why Bethesda locked those behind skill points instead of behind some kind of spaceship upgrade to get you to actually interact with the ship building system.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Of course. It's probably the most requested difficulty option.

Ship combat starts relatively easy but quickly ramps up even if you upgrade your ship.

It's one of those nasty side effects with level scaling (even if this game only uses partial level scaling).

Your ship only improves so much with component upgrades (and perks a bit), whereas enemy ships just get straight out stat boosts.

Having to manage your engines and shields on controller is also really rough.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Idk why I spent so much time creating this bad boy when you really don't get to use your ship in this game.

T0t8NxE.png

rlqIvfT.png

Jl4Jvan.png

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Idk why I spent so much time creating this bad boy when you really don't get to use your ship in this game.

T0t8NxE.png

rlqIvfT.png

Jl4Jvan.png

I disagree. I spend about half my time doing stuff with my ship. The ship economy is a level above the equipment one so there is a lot of meat there if you are into saving up for stuff. It's also the best way that I've found to level up quickly if that is your goal. Grinding random encounters in the Serpentis system is by far the fastest way that I know of.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to figure out why I prefer 1st person in ED and like you, 3rd in star field
It's because it feels like you're actually moving around. The big problem with space combat, and this is in pretty much every game that does it, is that there's really no frame of reference in terms of your own movement. There's no clouds, there's nothing on the ground to measure your distance against, there's maybe a planet off in the distance and a few asteroids here and there, but that never feels like enough. As a result of the lack of stationary objects to measure your own movement against, it just feels like you're sitting still and just turning a screen until you're facing what you want to shoot.

It also doesn't help Starfield that a TON of the movement options are stuck in the talent tree. One of the biggest weaknesses in this game is the fact that so much stuff that makes it feel awesome to play is just stuck in a talent tree that you need to put points into. Crafting, ship travel and building, all kinds of shit. It's all stuck behind leveling and using talent points when they should be their own systems or locked behind purchases or just plain standard.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
My main problem is that unless I just sit still it feels like jousting more than it does a dogfight.
Yep, that's a sign that you aren't in control of your engine speed and thrusters. I made exactly this mistake at first too.

If you're flying at ships head on (other than at the start of an engagement, where it's unavoidable) you're in a bad position. You want to get behind enemy ships, and stay behind them. So use your boost to close the gap at the start of a fight, then slow your speed down once you start reaching them. If you look at your speed bar/gauge you'll see a white section in the middle. That white section represents your sweet spot where turning speed is really fast. At max speed your turning speed will be horrendous (think driving a car and trying to corner at 100mph). And if you use your thrusters too (space bar on PC, whereas boosting is the shift key, not sure what the console controls are) while turning at a slower speed you'll corner even faster.

So pull off a quick 180 degree turn to end up behind your opponents, pick a target, and now just match their speed to stay close behind them. They can't shoot you, but are a sitting duck for your cannons. Once you figure that out space combat against 3+ opponents even in the base Frontier becomes reliably achievable, and one on ones are easy mode.
giphy.gif

It's because it feels like you're actually moving around. The big problem with space combat, and this is in pretty much every game that does it, is that there's really no frame of reference in terms of your own movement. There's no clouds, there's nothing on the ground to measure your distance against, there's maybe a planet off in the distance and a few asteroids here and there, but that never feels like enough. As a result of the lack of stationary objects to measure your own movement against, it just feels like you're sitting still and just turning a screen until you're facing what you want to shoot.
Yes! This is a big part of why I love asteroid field battles in Starfield =)

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Having to manage your engines and shields on controller is also really rough.
That's because you have no power available in early ships.

Once you get to the better stuff you have enough power for full shield and engines plus half weaponry (which is usually more than enough).

Then bar some weird bugs messing up your pips you just won't have to touch it anymore.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It's part of why I feel like the game needs big capital ships. They'd give us more points of reference to use in space dogfights. The more PoR we have the better the spaceship fights feel. Without them they just feel really bad. Using third person can help alleviate this by allowing us to see more of the field, but it only helps so much.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
So after playing Fallout 4 again I've been wanting to revisit Starfield with all these updates since I haven't really played since launch and things weren't in a great state I thought at the time.

Now that we're months out with multiple patches and modders have had time to do some actual work, what are the best QOL improvements I can add to the game? Is there 1 large UI overhaul for everything or do I have to download each of those individual adds for every aspect of the UI like Ship Building, Inventory, Shops, Companions. I remember there being a few mods that added more xp to various things like crafting or scanning fauna and flora, now with the adjustments in the game after the patch do you still recommend using anything for those, I remember the increases being so negligible that it felt pointless.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
So after playing Fallout 4 again I've been wanting to revisit Starfield with all these updates since I haven't really played since launch and things weren't in a great state I thought at the time.

Now that we're months out with multiple patches and modders have had time to do some actual work, what are the best QOL improvements I can add to the game? Is there 1 large UI overhaul for everything or do I have to download each of those individual adds for every aspect of the UI like Ship Building, Inventory, Shops, Companions. I remember there being a few mods that added more xp to various things like crafting or scanning fauna and flora, now with the adjustments in the game after the patch do you still recommend using anything for those, I remember the increases being so negligible that it felt pointless.
The creation kit isn't out just yet.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yep, that's a sign that you aren't in control of your engine speed and thrusters. I made exactly this mistake at first too.

If you're flying at ships head on (other than at the start of an engagement, where it's unavoidable) you're in a bad position. You want to get behind enemy ships, and stay behind them. So use your boost to close the gap at the start of a fight, then slow your speed down once you start reaching them. If you look at your speed bar/gauge you'll see a white section in the middle. That white section represents your sweet spot where turning speed is really fast. At max speed your turning speed will be horrendous (think driving a car and trying to corner at 100mph). And if you use your thrusters too (space bar on PC, whereas boosting is the shift key, not sure what the console controls are) while turning at a slower speed you'll corner even faster.

So pull off a quick 180 degree turn to end up behind your opponents, pick a target, and now just match their speed to stay close behind them. They can't shoot you, but are a sitting duck for your cannons. Once you figure that out space combat against 3+ opponents even in the base Frontier becomes reliably achievable, and one on ones are easy mode.
giphy.gif

Yes! This is a big part of why I love asteroid field battles in Starfield =)
Yeah that is way too much work. I will just do my best until the update and then dial all ship combat down to the lowest level I can.

I just don't have the patience to "get good" at something like this that exists only in a single player game lol

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Yeah that is way too much work. I will just do my best until the update and then dial all ship combat down to the lowest level I can.

I just don't have the patience to "get good" at something like this that exists only in a single player game lol
Yep, difficulty adjustments are going to be great. I'm really glad that's happening. But I might be making it sound more complex than it is. It's literally just flying towards enemies to close the gap, then turning around to be behind them =P

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
After looking at Fallout 4 again, people who say this game isn't a visual leap over FO4 are crazy.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah it's confirmed. I know literally NOTHING about the space combat lol

I chose "Wanted" so when I jumped to Pluto last night I had two cocky bounty hunters show up. They were level 12 I am level 10 and I literally JUST upgraded my ship at the Deimos Staryard so I tell them to kick rocks when they tell me to pay them 2k credits. I got INSTANTANEOUSLY destroyed. I maybe fired 6 laser shots at one of the ships before the other one blew through my shields and destroyed my ship. I tried 4 more time with the same results.

So I guess I'm just a piggy bank for pirates until the update comes out. 🙃

Last edited:

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Yeah it's confirmed. I know literally NOTHING about the space combat lol

I chose "Wanted" so when I jumped to Pluto last night I had two cocky bounty hunters show up. They were level 12 I am level 10 and I literally JUST upgraded my ship at the Deimos Staryard so I tell them to kick rocks when they tell me to pay them 2k credits. I got INSTANTANEOUSLY destroyed. I maybe fired 6 laser shots at one of the ships before the other one blew through my shields and destroyed my ship. I tried 4 more time with the same results.

So I guess I'm just a piggy bank for pirates until the update comes out. 🙃
🤣
You'll have to try a grav drive build! All power to shields and grav drive, captain! Tactical retreats are the name of the game!
After looking at Fallout 4 again, people who say this game isn't a visual leap over FO4 are crazy.
Yeah this has always been a thing! Fallout 4 looked no better than Skyrim apparently 🤪

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. I spend about half my time doing stuff with my ship. The ship economy is a level above the equipment one so there is a lot of meat there if you are into saving up for stuff. It's also the best way that I've found to level up quickly if that is your goal. Grinding random encounters in the Serpentis system is by far the fastest way that I know of.

My point is that your ship is pretty pointless outside of willingly engaging in Starship combat. Travaling to spaces via your ship is not required, you can simply fast travel through the menu. In fact it is more cumbersome and time consuming to travel to a new area with your ship than just using the menu, the amount of loading is too much. And while ship interiors are nice, there is little reason to actually explore your ship interior. Companions can be spoken to outside of the ship or inside of it. And nothing about your ship changes throughout the story.

Compare it to something like KOTR and Mass Effect where your ship acts as a home base where both narrative can be delivered and upgrades obtained. You have a real reason to keep returning to your ship to advance character narratives. And the ship will dynamically change depending on how far into the story you are, shit Mass Effect 3 was particularly amazing with the constant changes to the people and stuff doing on inside the Normandy as the story progressed. You just don't have any such reason to chill out inside your own ship in Starfield.

For practical purposes, ships serve as just portable houses/apartments from previous Bethesda titles. But as with those older titles, I rarely ever visited my player bases, because again, I have no reason to unless I'm playing some Hardcore mode and require a place to sleep for free. Why would I return to my player home when my main motivation in the game is to explore?

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
My point is that your ship is pretty pointless outside of willingly engaging in Starship combat. Travaling to spaces via your ship is not required, you can simply fast travel through the menu. In fact it is more cumbersome and time consuming to travel to a new area with your ship than just using the menu, the amount of loading is too much. And while ship interiors are nice, there is little reason to actually explore your ship interior. Companions can be spoken to outside of the ship or inside of it. And nothing about your ship changes throughout the story.

Compare it to something like KOTR and Mass Effect where your ship acts as a home base where both narrative can be delivered and upgrades obtained. You have a real reason to keep returning to your ship to advance character narratives. And the ship will dynamically change depending on how far into the story you are, shit Mass Effect 3 was particularly amazing with the constant changes to the people and stuff doing on inside the Normandy as the story progressed. You just don't have any such reason to chill out inside your own ship in Starfield.

For practical purposes, ships serve as just portable houses/apartments from previous Bethesda titles. But as with those older titles, I rarely ever visited my player bases, because again, I have no reason to unless I'm playing some Hardcore mode and require a place to sleep for free. Why would I return to my player home when my main motivation in the game is to explore?

You are right.

I guess I just enjoy most of the ship stuff.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Same. I just wish it were actually meaningful. I'll spend a longtime customizing my ship before piloting it for two seconds and realizing what a waste of time that was.

I'm like 30 playthroughs deep. The first 3 or so were spent going through the main quest and faction lines. After that it was pretty much bounty hunting and leveling up every time. When you do that the ship stuff is a bigger part, at least how I play it. You can grind for XP easier and the cash as well as the space bounties are quicker to finish.

I've pretty much got it down to a fine art now. I usually grab a Hymn III from Serpentis and follow that up with a Revelation II. That ship can get you through any space battle.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I think I finally need to try that Outpost mod that makes it more like Fallout 4's settlement system. Nemeria IV-A is too perfect a location to pass up building a home on. Breathable atmosphere, safe water to swim in, no aggressive wildlife, it's a moon orbiting a beautiful pink gas giant, and it's covered in lakes where the swamp and mountain biomes meet.
53707387120_11046d8ce9_o.png

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the dumb question... any ideas when the May patch is hitting the PC Xbox app version? Seems the last update available was from March.
Also... I haven't dipped my toes in mods since the '90s... how can I tell if mods are compatible only with the Steam version or also PC Xbox app? I suspect most are Steam only.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the dumb question... any ideas when the May patch is hitting the PC Xbox app version? Seems the last update available was from March.
Also... I haven't dipped my toes in mods since the '90s... how can I tell if mods are compatible only with the Steam version or also PC Xbox app? I suspect most are Steam only.

Wouldn't it just be the 15th as announced?

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I will never get over how awful this game's loot/gear system works. Why are only 4 out of all of the spacesuits in the game capable of dropping at Superior tier? Why do vendors always sell the highest tier of weapon based on your level, but suit pieces rarely come at Superior tier? Why do weapons stop at Advanced? Why does every piece of gear have a skin slot, when there is only a single skin in the game that can be used on 2 weapons and one suit tops?

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I will never get over how awful this game's loot/gear system works. Why are only 4 out of all of the spacesuits in the game capable of dropping at Superior tier? Why do vendors always sell the highest tier of weapon based on your level, but suit pieces rarely come at Superior tier? Why do weapons stop at Advanced? Why does every piece of gear have a skin slot, when there is only a single skin in the game that can be used on 2 weapons and one suit tops?

I never noticed it, but yeah I've only ever seen superior mercenary, bounty hunter, explorer, and constellation suits. Never noticed that. Huh. edit: i need to pay closer attention to this.

I do see their superior variant, a bunch, at vendors though.

Weapons, apparently, do have a "superior" quality. But they are mis-labelled as "advanced." So sometimes you will see one advanced weapon with better stats than another advance weapon (of the same type). I've read this quite a few times on reddit or other forums. I haven't paid close enough attention to verify it myself, though.

The speculation is that more skins will come when the mod store goes online.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I never noticed it, but yeah I've only ever seen superior mercenary, bounty hunter, explorer, and constellation suits. Never noticed that. Huh. edit: i need to pay closer attention to this.

I do see their superior variant, a bunch, at vendors though.

Weapons, apparently, do have a "superior" quality. But they are mis-labelled as "advanced." So sometimes you will see one advanced weapon with better stats than another advance weapon (of the same type). I've read this quite a few times on reddit or other forums. I haven't paid close enough attention to verify it myself, though.

The speculation is that more skins will come when the mod store goes online.
The entire quality system seems busted to hell and back.

Guns - Mostly drop and are sold at the quality that matches your level, you mostly find the best tier of these at very high levels, good. Superior weapons show up as Advanced, yikes.

Suits - Do show up as superior, but higher tiers don't phase out lower tiers at stores or loot drops like with weapons, and only a select few suits in the game can drop as superior 🤷🏻‍♂️

Melee Weapons - No tiers show up at all, horrible damage, not viable at all

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada

Guns - Mostly drop and are sold at the quality that matches your level, you mostly find the best tier of these at very high levels, good. Superior weapons show up as Advanced, yikes.

Suits - Do show up as superior, but higher tiers don't phase out lower tiers at stores or loot drops like with weapons, and only a select few suits in the game can drop as superior 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah, the thing about melee weapons is pretty disappointing. I use melee weapons in low level systems but never use them in higher level systems. They become pointless at higher levels, its too bad.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know if they fixed this after launch but one of my favorite pistols would not drop at higher tiers.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
Welp, the new atlantis missing floor/vendors/computers after stealing and selling a ship is still there.

I guess I've no choice but to start a new save, sucks but I haven't played for a long time so it might make more sense to just start anew.

ZeeAyKay

Oct 25, 2017
Considering jumping back on with the latest update. Now that it's been a while is there a concensus on rushing the main quest to get to NG+, or is it best to enjoy it like a traditional Bethesda game and deal with NG+ when it happens naturally?

G Status Ray

Oct 31, 2017
Considering jumping back on with the latest update. Now that it's been a while is there a concensus on rushing the main quest to get to NG+, or is it best to enjoy it like a traditional Bethesda game and deal with NG+ when it happens naturally?
I would just enjoy it but it depends on how you play. For instance, I enjoy roleplaying as much as possible. On my first character my head cannon didn't make sense for him to join the cops or the pirates. So I did all I wanted and did NG+, remade him into a different character and am now doing things that make sense for this roleplay.

NG+ is neat and things change but those changes are more meaningful if you have attachment to the game and universe imo.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Rushing NG+ makes no sense IMO.

Also unless you got heavily spoiled, going through NG+ feels much more impactful after a « normal » playthrough than a « rushed » one.

Honestly NG+ is neat and all but I'd say it's better to play the game like any old Bethesda game and then if so inclined jump into NG+.

G Status Ray

Oct 31, 2017
Been playing this all day. I love this game. Many shortcomings but still so much to like.

The new difficulty is awesome. I'm actually playing with intent and using my resources. Had a huge drawn out battle who I thought were the enemies for my quest only to find out those were just the dudes hanging around the entrance to the place I needed to go. Had to nope outta there and that really works for me on a pure engagement level. The game was just so easy before.

Adding the simple but satisfying survival mechanics also adds a welcome layer of depth.

KyleH

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
On the XSX, with the patch, I am getting flickering on my VRR TV. I think it's an issue with my Sony TV.

If I can't use the 40FPS option, what's the recommended display setting now?

Native_Vel

Jun 5, 2022

For some reason several reviewers and gaming "pundits" described NG+ as this black hole you were trapped inside of and couldn't get out.

If the main quest has your attention, go enjoy it. You will not accidently land yourself into NG+. It will be there whenever you're ready.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Just enjoy it. Rushing the main quest is a horrible idea, and I'm baffled people actually suggested that.