• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
1500x500

Bethesda's upcoming action role-playing game, Starfield, has been rated M (Mature) by the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) in the United States due to its Violence, Blood, Suggestive Themes, Strong Language, and Use of Drugs. The game is set to be released on September 6th, 2023, for Windows and Xbox Series X/S platforms.

More at Novice Gamer Guides: https://novicegamerguides.com/news/starfield-receives-m-mature-rating-from-esrb-ahead-of-release/

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
incredible news

I never would have thought a Bethesda Softworks title would have Violence, Blood, Suggestive Themes, Strong Language, AND Use of Drugs in it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Another big L for MS. How are they expecting to go up against family friendly Spider-Man with a M-rated game? They should have cut all the M-rated content out of it, what are they doing!

Am I doing it right? Looking forward to the suggestive themes.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's hope for that 60 fps performance mode!

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Another big L for MS. How are they expecting to go up against family friendly Spider-Man with a M-rated game? They should have cut all the M-rated content out of it, what are they doing!

Am I doing it right? Looking forward to the suggestive themes.
How is an obscure, niche franchise like Spider-Man any threat to the widely know, widely beloved franchise that is Janky-Ass Bethesda Games?

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Good catch.

Fallout 4 has "Blood and Gore" and "Intense Violence", this one has "Blood" and "Violence".

it is in space so no one can hear you scream and that lowers the intensity of violence.

also, severed limbs can't fall off in zero gravity in space which means less gore.

i'm just having fun. not actual serious stuff.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Still wish this game had a VATS-like system for that tactical RtWP gameplay. It being pure shooter is ok but I will miss VATS.

FlowingThot

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 1, 2023
Seems like they got rid of the romance / sex from Fallout. We knew this already from the Australian ratings but further confirmation. Maybe Starfield still has romance but lacks the lovers comfort type bonus from Skyrim / Fallout. No random hook ups either I guess unlike Fallout.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
TIL Skyrim is rated M in the US. That's... surreal. And rated 18+ by PEGI as well... WTF?!
It's 16+ in Germany and I think that's already pushing it. Oblivion was 12+ over here. And for good reasons. There's no dismemberment in the games, unlike Fallout, or nothing that screams "excessive violence" in any way. Wild.

FlowingThot

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 1, 2023
TIL Skyrim is rated M in the US. That's... surreal. And rated 18+ by PEGI as well... WTF?!
It's 16+ in Germany and I think that's already pushing it. Oblivion was 12+ over here. And for good reasons. There's no dismemberment in the games, unlike Fallout, or nothing that screams "excessive violence" in any way. Wild.
Skyrim lets you cut people's heads off. A head getting cut off is one of the first things that happens in the game as soon as your make your character.

renoch

Jan 16, 2019
Anyone know at what point ESRB ratings are decided in relation to game development? Thinking about how far along the game will be - could they still be working on new content if the ESRB rating is confirmed, or is it all bug fixes and polish until release now?

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I was excited but you're telling me I can't fuck an alien on the event horizon of a black hole to assist in thrust velocity?

(Cue scene from 2001: A Space Odyssey)
"My God, it's full of cum!"

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Anyone know at what point ESRB ratings are decided in relation to game development? Thinking about how far along the game will be - could they still be working on new content if the ESRB rating is confirmed, or is it all bug fixes and polish until release now?

This is what I want to know, too. Anybody?