Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
How many games have released that required an SSD so far? I've seen quite a few that recommend it, but I can't think of any offhand that have absolutely required it. (I'm not worried, I've got two)

I really want to see DF or somebody immediately try to play it on a HDD to see what happens.. lol.

As a 'requirement', rather than recommended? Maybe only Star Citizen, that I'm aware of?

It's been a non-factor afaik until now - but now that consoles are getting there, for 'bigger' games I would imagine it'll start happening in the next couple of years.

HDD will, depending on the requirements for loading/unloading assets or accessing more information, likely either have huge loading times, and/or not work at all.

I'm kinda more curious if having an NMVE will help more or not (i.e. if their engine doesn't have a bottleneck on the system side for ssd speeds - IIRC Fallout 4 does have a certain bottleneck that can, or at least could, crash your game if you loaded too quickly)

Trey2Deebo

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2022
I've regretted guiding my PC almost two years ago for a long time. But now it's time to shine baby, let's go! Excited to jump into game spas

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am not literate with PC stuff whatsoever, but my brother built my PC and he says I can run this easy money so sweet.

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
Probably going to play this on cloud since I don't have an Xbox or pc… So I guess we'll see how that goes.

unless it's decent on deck. Which I doubt.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Great. My Ryzen 5 7600, RX 6700XT and 32GB RAM should carry me at 1080p and that's all I ask.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda more curious if having an NMVE will help more or not (i.e. if their engine doesn't have a bottleneck on the system side for ssd speeds - IIRC Fallout 4 does have a certain bottleneck that can, or at least could, crash your game if you loaded too quickly)
On my system, I don't think it'll make much difference. I do have a new Gen4 NVMe drive, but my motherboard's old enough that it doesn't actually support it, so it's running at Gen3 speeds. So it's not really noticeably any faster than my SATA SSD. It does have plenty of room on it, though, so all the new releases later this year (Starfield, Forza) will go on that one.

Donwx

Oct 1, 2018
Texas
My 2070 Super is somewhere around the minimum spec, so we'll see how that goes. A benchmarking tool before launch would be nice

I dunno how this will work on the Series S
A 2070 super is not around the minimum specs,its actually closer to the recommend cards.A 2070 super uses the same chip as the 2080. Its only around 10% slower than a 2080.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
No requirement can be enforced, but the game will crash
I doubt it would even crash, you can do memory mapping and run DirectStorage even from a floppy drive if you wanted. However if what you're doing uses it for low latency random access reads (which is likely the case here) it's going to stall like crazy.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I think this ol' 5800X / RTX 3080 combo will keep me going for a while longer.

On the whole, not terribly demanding specs for this.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Want to build a new PC
Don't want to buy/support these new GPUs or a three-year-old GPU at near enough

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
A very interesting implication - the gameplay they showed off in the xbox conference looks to have been legitimate XSX like hw settings at least given the performance and graphical quality.
It can be worse. Phantom Liberty is putting a 2060 (!) against 6800XT in its RT requirements.
And I fully expect to see more of these in the future.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
Bought the Starfield controller but will most likely play on PC. That's the beauty of Gamepass, I can try both and see which I prefer.

kenshee

Nov 8, 2017
Curious if my old 1070+6700k would be able to do 1080p/30fps at low/medium settings, the hype was making me consider trying it, and then just play it again in full glory when I finally get around to building a new pc (moved to ps5 for a bit until I see prices that seem reasonable... Just a gpu is about a whole month's paycheck for me atm lol), but falling below even minimum is making me reconsider.
I suppose I could do a 1 month gamepass sub to see how/if it works? And then buy the complete edition on steam once I have a new pc or something.

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
I really hope this isn't an AMD sponsored title. Seems like they force devs to not include DLSS tech. It's very annoying.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
So my laptop with a 1660ti / 16gGB RAM/ I7-9750 should be able to run this at 1080p with a respectable framerate?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I have a 6700XT. So just shy of recommended but hopefully I'll be ok?

I'm new to PC gaming, is there an understood quality these are aiming at? Like does the recommended get you 60fps at high settings at 1440p, or something like that?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
For how light those recommended specs are, at least relative to a lot of other current-gen only games, I'm surprised the Xbox versions don't have any kind of 60 FPS mode.

XDDX

Oct 26, 2017
I have a 6700XT. So just shy of recommended but hopefully I'll be ok?

I'm new to PC gaming, is there an understood quality these are aiming at? Like does the recommended get you 60fps at high settings at 1440p, or something like that?
Some games do state the resolution and FPS target for their requirements, but we don't have that info here. The recommended could be 1080p 30 or 1440p 60, we don't know yet. You should be fine with the 6700XT though hopefully.