DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Not amazing, but still few times better than I have. T_T

Latency is excellent when compared to the traditional satellite connection.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
That's about what I'd expected/hoped. So does this mean the private beta started already? I was hoping to get in on that, but maybe the address submission was for public beta only.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Saw the satellites at 4am the other night. Pretty cool.

Screenshot-20200814-130729-Video-Player.jpg

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Not official but there are some supposed leaks of speed results from those in the beta:

arstechnica.com

SpaceX Starlink speeds revealed as beta users get downloads of 11 to 60Mbps

Ookla tests aren't showing the gigabit speeds SpaceX teased, but it's early.
Latency is good enough but I really hope that's just working out the kinks and not indicative of over promising. I'd settle for a few hundred shy of a gig, but 60 when it's max? I'd stick with my DSL if that's all it could get to. I'm sure it'll improve though.

That's about what I'd expected/hoped. So does this mean the private beta started already? I was hoping to get in on that, but maybe the address submission was for public beta only.

I don't think the general public was ever going to get in on this one.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully some competition will put pressure on the major ISPs to lower their prices.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
At the low cost of ruining stargazing and backyard astronomy. :(

This is without the special coating that will reduce light reflection even more.

www.teslarati.com

SpaceX talks results of 'DarkSat' coating aimed at reducing brightness of Starlink satellites

SpaceX successfully launched another batch of Starlink satellites into space on March 18, the fourth such launch this year. That brings the total number of internet-beaming satellites to 362, which includes two experimental ones. But ever since the initial batch got off the ground, astronomers...

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping it's going to be at least that good in the South Carolina rural areas!

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
First verified results for Starlink speed tests. Amazing results for Seattle.

Starlink.png

* Tests with upload speeds of '0.00' mean the test ended prematurely and those download speeds could be incorrect.

www.reddit.com

r/Starlink - List of Confirmed Starlink Speed Tests

377 votes and 462 comments so far on Reddit

My current connection is much better. Is this expected to improve?

FYR: I just tested on speedtest and used the Google tool. Ping from 7ms to 6ms, and d/u at 88/88Mbps, respectively on Speedtest and Google.

Edit: Read the OT again and yes, it's expected to improve.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
My current connection is much better. Is this expected to improve?

FYR: I just tested on speedtest and used the Google tool. Ping from 7ms to 6ms, and d/u at 88/88Mbps, respectively on Speedtest and Google.

Edit: Read the OT again and yes, it's expected to improve.

The important comparison here is with the traditional 250ms+ pings from previous satellite internet services. Starlink at first will be aimed at hard to reach areas, for people that pay a lot of money for 250ms+ pings, 10Mbps/5Mbps services. 20ms is a good start and a clue that good online gaming and even cloud gaming will be possible with a satellite internet service.

Last edited:

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
I could see Starlink being successful even at those speeds. So much of North America has shitty internet. Hell, even incomplete, the Starlink network is almost on par with my internet. I get about 80mbps down 5mbps up, and 20ms ping using google's speed test.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I could see Starlink being successful even at those speeds. So much of North America has shitty internet. Hell, even incomplete, the Starlink network is almost on par with my internet. I get about 80mbps up 5mbps down, and 20ms ping using google's speed test.

The aim is to have 100/40 Mbps speeds per user at launch. They are getting close to that goal.

Kodiak33

Oct 30, 2017
My parents really need this. Their only option is a Verizon 4G hotspot and their reception isn't great.

I really hope this is successful as well as Amazon's.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
My parents really need this. Their only option is a Verizon 4G hotspot and their reception isn't great.

I really hope this is successful as well as Amazon's.
I'm all in for the Starlink constellation to be succesfull but Amazon can f*ck off. The way they are slowly dominating the internet with AWS is already concerning enough.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this does what Tesla did and gives the industry a kick up the ass, particularly for the US, to bring it into 2020 re speeds and caps.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
First verified results for Starlink speed tests. Amazing results for Seattle.

Starlink.png

* Tests with upload speeds of '0.00' mean the test ended prematurely and those download speeds could be incorrect.

www.reddit.com

r/Starlink - List of Confirmed Starlink Speed Tests

377 votes and 462 comments so far on Reddit
Since I always get confused by the difference between MB and Mbps, does the download speed here indicate what speed things will actually get downloaded at or is it the overall speed?

Since we moved I cna no longer get fibre broadband and have to rely on phone line broadband and so I get around 65mb which translates usually to around 9mb per second of actuall download speed.

Wanna know so I can compare the difference.

Boy I wish I still have fibre though, would be on about 500mb download now 😢

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
Since I always get confused by the difference between MB and Mbps, does the download speed here indicate what speed things will actually get downloaded at or is it the overall speed?

Since we moved I cna no longer get fibre broadband and have to rely on phone line broadband and so I get around 65mb which translates usually to around 9mb per second of actuall download speed.

Wanna know so I can compare the difference.

Boy I wish I still have fibre though, would be on about 500mb download now 😢
Internet speeds are measured (typically) in bits per seconds. Where file sizes on hard drives and things are measure in Bytes. 8 bits = 1 Byte. A lower case 'b' will be short for bit, and an uppercase 'B' will be short for Byte. Taking the fastest speed test, a download speed (assuming the internet connection is the slowest part in the chain) would be about 7.65 Mega-Bytes per second.

Your current internet is 65 mega bits per second. So converting that into Bytes (by diving by 8) gets you 8.125 Mega Bytes per second, which is close to what you get in real world testing.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Internet speeds are measured (typically) in bits per seconds. Where file sizes on hard drives and things are measure in Bytes. 8 bits = 1 Byte. A lower case 'b' will be short for bit, and an uppercase 'B' will be short for Byte. Taking the fastest speed test, a download speed (assuming the internet connection is the slowest part in the chain) would be about 7.65 Mega-Bytes per second.
Thanksxfor some reason it never sticks and ends up confusing me all the time lol.

Shame then, good for those with slower speeds but won't do much for me then if these speeds are representative of the final speeds.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Thanksxfor some reason it never sticks and ends up confusing me all the time lol.

Shame then, good for those with slower speeds but won't do much for me then if these speeds are representative of the final speeds.

Just focus on the letters, MB = Mega Byte, Mb = Mega bit. 8Mb = 1MB. If someone says they have 61.32 Mbps download, that is = to 7.6MBps.

Last edited:

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
If SpaceX manages to get their Starship working in the next 2-3 years they could potencially deploy up to 240 satellites per launch as opposed to 60 satellites right now with Falcon 9. That would be a game changer.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
If SpaceX manages to get their Starship working in the next 2-3 years they could potencially deploy up to 240 satellites per launch as opposed to 60 satellites right now with Falcon 9. That would be a game changer.

Starship can deliver up to 400 satellites per trip.

"Starship can take 400 satellites at a time," Shotwell said.

www.cnbc.com

SpaceX wants to land Starship on the moon within three years, president says, with people soon after

SpaceX President and COO Gwynne Shotwell outlined plans for its two ambitious development programs at a recent investor conference.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
Starship can deliver up to 400 satellites per trip.

"Starship can take 400 satellites at a time," Shotwell said.

www.cnbc.com

SpaceX wants to land Starship on the moon within three years, president says, with people soon after

SpaceX President and COO Gwynne Shotwell outlined plans for its two ambitious development programs at a recent investor conference.
Oh yeah you're right, I was basing myself in a render that was made rencently with 240 satellites. But there's obviously room for more

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
With COVID-19, people working from home, reports are people are moving to where they can have more space. If there is reliable decent speed internet in rural places I wonder if there will be even more folks moving out to the countryside.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Hopefully they can cover eastern Europe in the next 10 years. A lot of rural middle of nowhere areas with barely a 2G signal and no phone lines there.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they can cover eastern Europe in the next 10 years. A lot of rural middle of nowhere areas with barely a 2G signal and no phone lines there.
They will have worldwide coverage with ~2000 satellites. They will get there before the end of 2021 most likely.

But they will probably have tiered deployment for regular users, country by country. Maybe eastern Europe [where I am also] will have to wait their turn.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
I cant imagine dicators and repressive goverments around the world being thrilled with this.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the only way I might would use this is if my internet connection followed me wherever I went

if it could do that I might replace my ground based internet

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I think it's important to bear in mind that service availability will be contingent upon government approval, so while global coverage is the goal, it's entirely possible red tape will prove to be a roadblock in certain countries.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
The important comparison here is with the traditional 250ms+ pings from previous satellite internet services. Starlink at first will be aimed at hard to reach areas, for people that pay a lot of money for 250ms+ pings, 10Mbps/5Mbps services. 20ms is a good start and a clue that good online gaming and even cloud gaming will be possible with a satellite internet service.

Yeah, I get that. I appreciate the goal here, kinda like what Google was (is?) planning with those high alt balloons.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

My parents in the boonies get ~3 mbps with centurlylink DSL, and I believe it is erratic at that. While netflix streaming is possible, my young brother in law staying with them currently is tearing his hair out because fortnight and COD are unplayable on the connection.

Even 10 mbps would be a godsend for them, forget something like 60 mbps, that would just be utter gravy.

From reading the starlink reddit, many people are even much worse off than my parents.

All that said I do worry that sure, 10-60 sounds OK/good now, but it's a sliding scale and BW demands are always increasing (hell my first cable connection all those years ago was 1.5 mbps I believe, now it's 400). I guess/hope they will keep launching satellites with more throughput and better hardware over time.

This is still a way from reality but seems becoming closer to reality, cautiously optimistic again. The ground stations are still an issue we haven't heard much about.

Decent internet literally able to reach anywhere (even say, remote national forest where there's zero cell signal) could be a bit of a gamechanger for the entire world IMO if it came to fruition.

I do think the price is likely to be higher than we expect. The value is there, again for people like my parents, and many others, it's probably easily worth $100 per month. There are people who spend tens of thousands on paying for cable to be extended a few hundred meters to their homes and things like that.