• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
It's first person Diablo so yeah that's what you do when you play it. Your abilities get more sophisticated as you level up and fill out the skill tree, but the gameplay loop remains the same. It's immeasurably better in co-op.
My son's and I just finished playing through Pre-Sequel, 1 and 2, and are planning to go through 3 and Tiny Tina soon. The game is a blast in co-op and the world and characters that inhabit it are great.

OP
OP
Blackpuppy

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Worth noting that while 2 and 3 are certainly better mechanically (add the Tiny Tina fantasy themed spinoffs to that list too) they all play functionally the same. So if your primary issue is the core gameplay loop (shoot things for better loot so you can shoot higher level things for even better loot) you probably won't get on with the sequels either.

Well the missions haven't felt very satisfying and the enemies feel like bullet sponges and my character moves a bit slow… maybe these aspects are improved?

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yep that's it. Even playing with friends it should have been a one and done game series for me. We all got 2 thinking it would be better but ended up even more bored where it was more the same but with more shitty internet meme jokes.

That's why we all call it Borederlands lol

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
Borderlands 1 has some great DLC, but overall, it's a very dated game. The sequels are much better, outside of some god awful writing in part 3.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
Still probably my favorite of the series. Something got lost in the sequels for me

Same. I think overall pacing of the first game outshines the sequels.

The sequels are mechanically superior, have better visuals and a better villain, but they're difficult to appreciate when the levels are too big and characters just…don't…stop…talking.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
All the comments in here about Borderlands being FPS Diablo make a ton of sense to me. I haven't seen that comparison before, but I didn't like Borderlands when I tried it and I also kinda bounced off of Diablo IV recently for what I did not realize at the time were similar reasons.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
While I quite enjoyed the original, Borderlands really found its feet with the B2 sequel.

As I remember (it's been a long time) voice acting was very limited in the original and there wasn't a main baddie like Handsome Jack that taunted you throughout the entire game.

They get flack for meme-factor, but I think B2 and B3 are pretty damn awesome both mechanically and on a presentation scale.
I agree. They are fantastic games for when they each released. BL1, BL2, and BL3.

The DLC for each is absolutely incredible DLC. It's top-tier DLC content across the entire industry for quality level imo.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
3 plays soooooooooooo much better than 1.

I don't hate Pandora and the classes in 1 are pretty peak actually so I enjoy it as there's just enough nostalgia there to really hook me in.

New players though? I'd seriously consider trying out Borderlands 3 instead. Everything before 3 feels very stiff, these days.

bloodgate

Dec 18, 2019
Iowa
Yep that's it. Even playing with friends it should have been a one and done game series for me. We all got 2 thinking it would be better but ended up even more bored where it was more the same but with more shitty internet meme jokes.

That's why we all call it Borederlands lol

this is not a serious person

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just solo platinumed it a year or two ago and thought it held up pretty well.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
It was kind of refreshing when BL1 first came out. I gave up on the series after BL2. The series gets very repetitive after a while.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
all of them are quite the acquired taste if you solo. like, you really need to be in it for the loot dopamine rush

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Well the missions haven't felt very satisfying and the enemies feel like bullet sponges and my character moves a bit slow… maybe these aspects are improved?
If you want snappy gameplay, I would argue you should skip to 3. Movement is much better in that game.

For the enemies feeling like bullet-sponges, that is actually kind of part of the fun of it. Because once you pop a great gun it feels SO GOOD to start mowing down enemies.

The missions are mostly very basic in the first one. They get better in the sequels but the bones under them are still exactly as you state. They are "go here and collect this thing and bring it here."

The games really live and die by the looter shooter loop they helped create. I am personally a fan of the humor and story as well, but that is definitely stuff that isn't for everyone. It's about getting better loot and creating a build around your loot so you are wrecking mobs.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
BL1 had boring powers and guns that feels like shooting wet cardboard. Also, the world was pretty drab.
BL2 improved on everything and has arguably the best vilain in any FPS.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Mission design is improved, but only marginally. It will still feel like questing solo in an MMO from 2010. The main improvement is in the characters you interact with and their writing/dialogue, but I need to stress the STRONG caveat there that it's entirely dependent on whether the humour works for you. Some people love it, some absolutely detest it.

Bullet sponges - mostly yes imo, early on. But enemy variety improves too, so it can feel fresher, and like all ARPGs you're aiming for that endgame build where regular enemies start to melt and it's all about the boss grind.

Movement speed - I haven't played BL1 in such a long time, so never considered this and can't recall how it felt. I feel like it's not been a complaint I've ever had, but I played them in order. And I also love fast characters. There's an assassin class in BL2 that has a great movement ability to help him feel fast and reactive.

Ultimately I think if you're the kind of person that can enjoy ARPGs and the loot grind, then BL is a series worth checking out, but I'd jump in at the latest entry, or maaaaybe BL2. You're not missing out on the story. There really isn't much of one. Same way you wouldn't suggest playing Diablo from the first entry so you understand the story in 4.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
That is the loop, though I'd argue that's the loop to most non-linear games with NPCs that give you quests. Can't say I ever really liked the gunplay either and never played in co-op so I've never been the biggest fan, but I do enjoy the art style and world and humor/writing so I tend to keep giving it a chance.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands released in 2009; the hard expectation for a satisfying FPS experience wasn't nearly as defined as we have it now, and it was enormously carried by the novelty of basically being Diablo in a genre that didn't have leveling up, loot, variable skills/perks/traits on everything, etc. Now everything that made Borderlands feel fresh is brutally worn out. It hasn't aged well but it was very very exciting on its release.

Borderlands 1 legitimately had me thinking "every game should be like this!" God, I guess I got what I wanted.

Might be misremembering but I think Borderlands 1 was hit by critics and players for a couple of the issues mentioned in the OP even on release: quests being inconsequential to the point of feeling almost vestigial, enemies feeling more like bullet sponges later in the game. Hell, I remember the meme about Borderlands at the time being that you could get to the final boss, park yourself in front of it, and just shoot at it for a few minutes and wait for it to die.

I enjoyed Borderlands 1 quite a bit and you're totally right that no one had really come up with a game like this before and so it felt novel and fresh. But people did notice the problems, I think, it's just that the rest of the package overshadowed the problems for a lot of people.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Yes, it's how the game is structured throughout. That said, the actual missions you get sent on get a lot better farther in the game.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Found it boring unless I played co-op with friends who talked. Replay value is terrible unless you like finding slightly better guns over and over again.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The first game is fun before you realize that yeah, that's all it is. The second game has more content to kind of hide that from you longer

The big draw on the box is the billion guns, but there's like 14 guns with different stats/skins/buffs/debuffs

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The entire selling point back in the day was

Imagine if Diablo 1 was a shooter with a cool art style

That's what you got

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
That's the loop, yeah.
If you don't particularly like the shooting, I get it. I didn't like it either, at the beginning. But then I got a half decent assault rifle that did decent damage and then had a great time with the game.

The changes to assault rifles in number 2 kinda left me bummed so I never really finished that one, but I loved BL1.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
This is something you don't hear every day.
Ryan Davis was the best lol

(for context, BL2 was written by Anthony Burch)

iu

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
The first game is really fucking hard to get into and its one of those lets play this coop with friends and less of a lets solo this game, cause the grind in the first game IS terrible. It got better in 2 but in 3 its pretty much the best way to play it.

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023
BL1 is pretty bad yeah, BL2 is decent, but gunplay may have aged poorly, it was meh even back then

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
There's a reason people only talk about BL2 as if 1 doesn't exist. 1 is just too basic and has nothing really to it other than basic guns and basic enemies and clunkiness

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Yeah, Borderlands 1 is basic as shit compared to it's sequels. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i'll be honest ... you came late 15 years alone to a party you should bring someone. The game is ok but i can't say it didn't aged.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
same for me with BL2.
the open world felt so life-less and boring.
the shooting wasnt exactly good either on console.

BL3 isnmore of the same but the gunply seems to be improved

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
This is something you don't hear every day.
I wouldn't say the writing in any of the Borderlands is amazing. But what I do appreciate is that it leans 100% into what it's trying to do. I respect that. If you're going to be puerile and silly, go for it.

I'll always enjoy that more than games that in trying to appease all audiences end up a bland, anodyne, overprocessed mush that no one loves.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
What I mean is: is the whole game just going to people, they give you missions and you go off and do the mission… Then come back for money/XP etc?

I don't know why, but I'm not feeling the shooting or anything. I see it was GOTY for a lot of folks, but I quickly got bored. Do I just need to get past an initial hump?
The shooting/character building/looting aspects make it fun. Like you aren't literally walking off to fetch something. You go do FPS gameplay with guns with different properties and stats, with the checklist as your motivation but ultimately the gameplay itself is the reward (plus loot/XP to allow you to improve and see more shooter gameplay).

It's a fairly basic concept, but it was novel in 2009.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Idk tbh playing the zombie dlc while cozy in bed is peaking gaming for me.

You'll probably enjoy part 2 way more OP.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
It was the first of the genre that did the Looter Shooter thing and be successful at it. An offline MMO that revolves around the FPS style of gameplay. Now it may be a dime a dozen, but back then it was refreshing.

A friend and me both played Borderlands and Borderlands 2 and took a dive into Destiny 1 and later Destiny 2 because of how we enjoyed the game mechanics.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
You start getting missions with more of a point as you go, but BL1 went through a serious overhaul mid development and the resulting "plot" is the cobbled together remnants of a larger plan that got carved up and dragged over the finish line. There's some good dry humor here and there, but the series didn't really figure out its tone until Mikey Neumann got to cut loose with the web marketing, and that tone didn't really bleed back into the game until the Knoxx DLC, which is great.

The gunplay can feel good—and guns feeling worse across the board was an incredibly common complaint about BL2 at the time, seeing the opposite here is wild—but it varies wildly by gun. Anything that actually has worthwhile accuracy or recoil reduction will probably last you twenty levels.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
There's a reason people only talk about BL2 as if 1 doesn't exist. 1 is just too basic and has nothing really to it other than basic guns and basic enemies and clunkiness

Yeah, Borderlands 1 is basic as shit compared to it's sequels. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

On the bright side, at least Blackpuppy is getting a taste of Borderlands with the newer Game of the Year Enhanced edition. I could not recommend anyone to delve backwards into the original version, which bizarrely lacked essential features like a minimap.

Gunman

Aug 19, 2020
I wouldn't say the writing in any of the Borderlands is amazing. But what I do appreciate is that it leans 100% into what it's trying to do. I respect that. If you're going to be puerile and silly, go for it.

I'll always enjoy that more than games that in trying to appease all audiences end up a bland, anodyne, overprocessed mush that no one loves.

I feel like Borderlands 1 doesn't lean 100% into it, and that's why it's the only one I'm (just barelly) able to stomach.