• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
For me, part of their charm is how much they lean into the writing type. A lot of it isn't clever-funny. A lot of it isn't even funny. What makes it actually funny to me is the insistence on the humor. It's like a comedian bombing on purpose for me. And I like that. It's silly fun and I think I like my video games to be silly fun. It only rarely takes itself seriously and those moments are earned imo.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
For 2009 standards on console the game was amazing. I would imagine the first game today wouldn't be as entertaining.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I like it personally. Always have liked the whole series.

The games get better with more enemy variety, better writing, level design, visuals and core gameplay too. But fundamentally it's the same loop as in the first game. I do however think the 2nd, 3rd and pre-sequel are much more narrative driven. So that's appreciable if you like the story and tone of the games (even if they are hit and miss depending on the game and questline). So today the first game does come across as quite simplistic I suppose, but I still like what it's doing and comparing it to other shooters from its era I think it's a very interesting game.

The gameplay I think it works more when you have people to play with, because you tend to decide on a build and weapon preferences and you're sort of helping each other as you go through. Maybe one of you is a sniper and one of you is more of a tank and you're playing off each others strengths and weaknesses, also trying to see who can go further with their build faster, and break the game the most. I think that's very entertaining. Looting and exploring with a friend is a lot of fun as the games are littered with secret chests to find and lots of optional routes and objectives.

I know the series gets a lot of flack, but I like it a lot personally. There's also a lot of good representation in the series for groups that tend to be underrepresented in the industry, such as LQBTQ+. The game missteps sometimes, for instance it has some enemies called 'midgets' and it calls others 'psychos' and things like that. But on the other hand it does have characters with disabilities too and characters with lots of different body types, I think for a product of the games industry where games are generally really not very diverse at all, the Borderlands series actually gets a lot more right than it does wrong.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Borderlands 2 was the only one to hook me out of the main series, and I played it solo. Tales from the Borderlands is also great.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Unlike Diablo it is nowhere near fun single player.

I literally play BL3 or Tiny Tina's every weekend with my brother and his wife and sometimes I got the urge to get better loot or try a new build to surprise them and each and every time I played that on my own I was disappointed.

Diablo 2 might be a better game solo to be honest. I do love D1's co-op though a lot.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, that's it. I played it solo when I was in school and loved wandering around alone doing missions. It was peaceful as heck.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Borderlands released in 2009; the hard expectation for a satisfying FPS experience wasn't nearly as defined as we have it now, and it was enormously carried by the novelty of basically being Diablo in a genre that didn't have leveling up, loot, variable skills/perks/traits on everything, etc. Now everything that made Borderlands feel fresh is brutally worn out. It hasn't aged well but it was very very exciting on its release.

Borderlands 1 legitimately had me thinking "every game should be like this!" God, I guess I got what I wanted.

This is it right here. It was the first loot shooter if I remember correctly and it was great for what it did at the time.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I'm over 40 so the age of the game doesn't bother me (I play Doom at least once a year!) but shooting desert rats and collecting food for some space hillbilly and walking back to him is just a bit… meh.

The original is basically a proof of concept. Play Borderlands 2 for a more fleshed out game. They are primarily co-op games, though.

If you want to take it back to 1993, the original would be like Virtua Fighter 1 (but of course not nearly as good as that game). Impressive at the time, but everyone would recommend Virtua Fighter 2 instead.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
I'm over 40 so the age of the game doesn't bother me (I play Doom at least once a year!) but shooting desert rats and collecting food for some space hillbilly and walking back to him is just a bit… meh.
Eventually you shoot more things, like bandits, cars, weird elephant things, aliens and tentacles.

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
The humours really the only thing that separates it from other games especially for the first I would say 2 is the one I actually enjoy solo help alot by a great villain but if u don't like the style of humour either then yeah not worth it

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
borderlands 1 is boring

borderlands 2 is boring with bad comedy writing

Oct 26, 2017
Right so the consensus seems to be that the game is better in co-op and 2 is better. Hrmm… in any case I got the game for like 8€ in a bargain bin at Carrefour so I'm not too miffed.
I'd say jump into the series with the 3rd game. If you're after strong narrative and meaningful character interactions then the BL series won't be for you, it's not what the hook is. The hook is randomized loot and character builds, they take what made Diablo popular and put it into an fps game.

The 3rd game has the best gunplay, they did make significant improvements this go-around but it's still not close to Halo or Doom 2016, but it's not really trying to be. The randomized gun stats and matching them to your character build is where it's at.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Crazy to think they essentially just took the Halo gameplay loop and dropped it into a Diablo shell. The controls aren't as good as Halo for the time (or today) but I can't help but think about what could have been if they did allow Gearbox to make Halo 4 like originally planned.

I would have loved to see a Gearbox Halo spinoff. I would STILL love to see that. It would be a peanut butter and jelly sammich thing for my tastes.

Oct 26, 2017
Ryan Davis was the best lol

(for context, BL2 was written by Anthony Burch)

iu
I've always found this annoying as it's when everybody started saying "lol, Borderlands 2 is a meme game!!" when there really isn't all that much referential humor in the game and most of it you have to search for as it's in easter egg form.
It just seemed weirdly defensive from Ryan, I really like FC3 but it fumbles the bag hugely with it's writing and Burch's tweet is totally on point, it had no place being nominated for a freaking Bafta.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands 1 is very bland by today's standards. It was fun when it came out but every BL game since is way more interesting and fun to play. I couldn't really recommend BL1 to anyone nowadays unless they're just really adamant about playing the whole series.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Coincidentally, I just loaded it on my Steam Deck yesterday because I was craving a satisfying FPS on there.

basically was exactly how I remember it from 2010 - you shoot stuff, get critical hits, numbers go up, guns get bigger numbers, etc. It's satisfying enough for that itch. Dunno if I'll finish it, but can't argue with why people like it.

I never played 2 or 3 - if all I want is satisfying gunplay, cool guns, etc, should I just play Borderlands 3?

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
BL3 is peak in the genre still 5 years later. There is nothing as good as it out there. And the DLC is really great imo. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is a really awesome spin on the same formula built on the bones of the BL3 engine but you can tell they had to cut down on budget. It's still fantastic. I would not recommend the DLC for it but absolutely would recommend the BL3 DLC.

This is all assuming you enjoy looter shooters.

Artadius

Avenger
Jan 15, 2018
For Borderlands 1, play as Lilith and keep going until you get a Hellfire SMG and then bask in the chaos you rain down on the enemies.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Coincidentally, I just loaded it on my Steam Deck yesterday because I was craving a satisfying FPS on there.

basically was exactly how I remember it from 2010 - you shoot stuff, get critical hits, numbers go up, guns get bigger numbers, etc. It's satisfying enough for that itch. Dunno if I'll finish it, but can't argue with why people like it.

I never played 2 or 3 - if all I want is satisfying gunplay, cool guns, etc, should I just play Borderlands 3?

Borderlands 3 is my favorite of the bunch by far. Based on what you said you want, I think 3 is probably the way to go. That game feels good to play.

El_Dabrah

Feb 18, 2024
I want another game like Borderlands 1 with 3's movement/gunplay. I felt the vibe and structure of the first game was fantastic. I didn't feel like someone was constantly talking in my ear. It told me to do something and I went and did it and I shot things. And I felt like if could find a weapon that would last me a very long time, whereas a lot of the newer ones I feel like I'm constantly switching my weapons out. Borderlands 1 and Diablo 2 are my comfort food.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
It was only bearable for me in coop (on 360 when it released). The gameplay loop is just not fun playing alone, imo. We dropped Borderlands 2 at some point because we felt it was too samey. Never played Borderlands 3, probably never will tbh.

Oct 26, 2017

100% Both the loot and gunplay are the best in the series. I would argue it had the best playable characters too (purely in terms of abilities and builds)
The downsides to 3 are the narrative is a bit more.... invasive, I want to say. You'll still spend 99% of the time shooting and looting but the narrative bits are more in your face. I also felt 2 maybe had overall better enemies.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I personally like Borderlands 1 more than most people because it heavily leans into the desolate post-apocalyptic wasteland style in a very Mad Max fashion and I found that atmospheric. But Borderlands 2 is generally much better than Borderlands 1. Moreover the gunplay and gameplay loop of guns/loot/skills is much better still in Borderlands 3 although the writing is worse than Borderlands 2.

Oct 26, 2017
Is BL1 on Switch most recommended for newcomers or should I start with BL2 as it's supposedly much better? I played a few minutes of BL1 but not too much of it yet.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
100% play BL3 for some of the best gunplay in videogames

100000% play tiny tina's wonderland as well
Borderlands 3 is my favorite of the bunch by far. Based on what you said you want, I think 3 is probably the way to go. That game feels good to play.
100% Both the loot and gunplay are the best in the series. I would argue it had the best playable characters too (purely in terms of abilities and builds)
The downsides to 3 are the narrative is a bit more.... invasive, I want to say. You'll still spend 99% of the time shooting and looting but the narrative bits are more in your face. I also felt 2 maybe had overall better enemies.

Say no more. Already 60% downloaded on my deck. Plus it was on sale!

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
100% play BL3 for some of the best gunplay in videogames

100000% play tiny tina's wonderland as well

Yep. The only thing holding back Tiny Tina's is that it ends very quickly for a BL game.

Especially compared to 3.

3 has an even worse story than 2 or 1, but also beats them with a stick in terms of game play.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
It may a bit of a you-had-to-be-there thing. It didn't exactly invent the 'Looter shooter', but it gave it definition, and the humor and style at the time was a lot fresher than it probably feels these days

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It was only bearable for me in coop (on 360 when it released). The gameplay loop is just not fun playing alone, imo. We dropped Borderlands 2 at some point because we felt it was too samey. Never played Borderlands 3, probably never will tbh.

This basically mirrors my first impression from 2010. I did not find Borderlands engaging until several years later when I began a co-op session with a friend. The conversations we had filled the game's mostly silent void.

That was my reaction too lol. Borderlands 2 feels a lot better but is somehow even more of a lifeless boring world than B1

Woah, really? I thought that Borderlands 2 was closer to resembling a bustling, lived-in world typical of an RPG. Even Sanctuary was far more immersive than the nearly unpopulated Arid Badlands.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Save 93% on Borderlands Collection: Pandora's Box on Steam

Get the complete Borderlands experience with this all-in-one collection, featuring all six games and all their add-on content in one giant bundle!

store.steampowered.com

Save 75% on Tiny Tina's Wonderlands on Steam

Embark on an epic adventure full of whimsy, wonder, and high-powered weaponry! Roll your own multiclass hero then shoot, loot, slash, and cast on a quest to stop the Dragon Lord.

Welp thanks to this thread and the big FPS sale this week over on Steam I topped off my all my Borderlands content.

The Pandora's Box collection is an absolutely insane value that includes everything across the board from B1, B2, B3 and the 2 Tales From adventures.

As per usual the cool hook is that it auto-discounts everything you already own so I only ended up paying $17 bucks for all the B3 DLC, Pre-Sequel Season Pass, and the second Tales game.

Nabbed Tina's Wonderland as well.

Now I can't decide which to fire up first between B3 & Wonderlands, lol. Prob go Wonderlands for the D&D novelty factor.