• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Hell of an OP.

The State Department inspector general provided Congress on Wednesday with documents that included materials President Donald Trump's personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani had given to the department earlier this year containing unproven claims about Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter.

The documents, which were obtained by CNN, include claims against the Bidens that formed the basis of President Donald Trump's accusations in his July call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, as well as accusations against former US Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch, who was recalled earlier this year and whom Trump also criticized in the call. In addition, the packet contains internal State Department emails from officials discussing articles critical of Yovanovitch, calling some of it a "fake narrative."

There is no evidence of wrongdoing by either Joe or Hunter Biden.

Giuliani said that in late March, he had "routed" what he called an "outline" of allegations against Biden, as well as Yovanovitch, to the office of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. He said he also had sent details of his interviews from earlier in the year with the incumbent and former top prosecutors in Ukraine, who helped provide him with the information in his outline.
Giuliani said he received a phone call shortly thereafter from Pompeo, who told Giuliani he would be referring the documents for investigation.
"They told me they were going to investigate it," Giuliani told CNN.
State Department Inspector General Steve Linnick told Congress that the department's office of legal counsel had provided the documents to him in May. A State Department spokesperson confirmed that the materials had been provided to the inspector general "for his review and for such action as the inspector general deemed appropriate."
The inspector general provided them to the FBI, and the FBI did not object to the documents being released to Congress, which could suggest the FBI is not actively investigating the matter.
Rep. Jamie Raskin, a Maryland Democrat, was the lone lawmaker who attended Wednesday's briefing. He told reporters afterward that it felt like a "completely irrelevant distraction."
"It's essentially a packet of propaganda and disinformation spreading conspiracy theories," Raskin said.
New Jersey Sen. Robert Menendez, the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said the documents "appear to contain long-debunked theories and false statements about the former US Ambassador to Ukraine and one of President Trump's political opponents."
House Foreign Affairs Chairman Eliot Engel, Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff and Oversight Chairman Elijah Cummings said in a joint statement that the briefing and documents "raise troubling questions about apparent efforts inside and outside the Trump Administration to target specific officials," including Biden's son and Yovanovitch.
But a Republican source said that Democrats appeared to be frustrated that the inspector general was injecting these accusations of wrongdoing from Biden and his son back into the bloodstream as the Democrats have sought to put the focus on the President's handling of the Ukraine situation.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
So US Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch was removed because of conspiracy theories pushed by the State Dept. while the White House was preparing to pressure Ukraine. A career official who probably wasn't going to play ball and participate in this Biden nonsense. Good job there Pompeo.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So they tried to give bad info (either intentionally or out of idiocy). And the IG basically laughed at it and publicly threw it into a garbage heap. Am I reading that right?

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For context that hasnt really been articulated yet i feel, and it could be wrong but im feeling it, i think this is them taking the Mueller Chris Steele playbook, trying to compile their own internal document dossier that Pompeo would then use down the line into a Biden investigation with Barr. I wonder if Pompeo told the IG to release it and cut his losses or if the IG really did just do it without Pompeo while he was out of country. Basically the 1-2 punch of whistleblower leaking the anti-Biden campaign and then the documents that have been used as the basis for Biden's 'corruption' pre-emptively leaked all of their planning to blow this up during the main campaign and re-elect Trump.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Guiliani's 20 year transition from hero mayor to criminal buffoon henchman has been a fascinating journey.

To be clear, i never thought he was a hero, but that was the perception.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Guiliani's 20 year transition from hero mayor to criminal buffoon henchman has been a fascinating journey.

To be clear, i never thought he was a hero, but that was the perception.
No, that was some person trolling with a thread to make it seem like that's the perception, and will it into existence.

Although, to be fair, it's easier to believe this was a long con, than to realize a person that stupid could possibly exist.

Oct 26, 2017
Stupidist timeline.

If Thanos were in this universe he would double the population in the universe to get more likes on Galaxy book

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Uh...

So Guilliani is making is fake dossier, stamping it as official White House and passing it around to the state dept.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
No, that was some person trolling with a thread to make it seem like that's the perception, and will it into existence.

Although, to be fair, it's easier to believe this was a long con, than to realize a person that stupid could possibly exist.

Are you trying to say that wasn't the perception? I remember it well, it was. Watching him squander that goodwill, then shit on it, then throw the shit at us has been quite a ride.

Oct 27, 2017
So US Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch was removed because of conspiracy theories pushed by the State Dept. while the White House was preparing to pressure Ukraine. A career official who probably wasn't going to play ball and participate in this Biden nonsense. Good job there Pompeo.

It's quite a shit nugget, when you see it in a single paragraph. This is who the GOP and their cult want to emulate. This is who they want to be.

They don't believe in a democracy, theyre just in it to burn shit down and raid the treasury on the way out the door

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the background and completeness of the drop and the alleged context he provided it reads to me like he was doing his job and providing congress with extremely relevant material that's only damaging to Giuliani upward.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The state department IG passed these along as evidence of Rudy and the WH's persecution of career state department employees, with this goofy dossier (and the dismissal of the ambassador as a result) directly relevant to the ongoing investigation of Ukraine. It is also consistent with his public complaint to Congress last month about general buggery from Trump appointees.

That the Dem congressman couldn't or wouldn't convey this to the press is baffling.

Oct 27, 2017
It's fun to dunk on Rudy, he obviously deserves it, but this isn't him having a series of strokes in the media. He's telling an audience of one that he has receipts, and that he won't be left out to twist alone. He's willing to take other henchmen down with him if need be.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
The state department IG passed these along as evidence of Rudy and the WH's persecution of career state department employees, with this goofy dossier (and the dismissal of the ambassador as a result) directly relevant to the ongoing investigation of Ukraine. It is also consistent with his public complaint to Congress last month about general buggery from Trump appointees.

That the Dem congressman couldn't or wouldn't convey this to the press is baffling.

Unfortunately not all members of Congress are...smart.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
So is Giuliani McCain in this story with this dossier he made and dropped off to Pompeo hoping to kick off an investigation into Biden that would then be in the media's attention in 2020 during the election ?

Christian

Oct 25, 2017

They actually said precisely the opposite...

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Rudy being seen as a hero mayor isn't a "person trolling" with a "thread" - are you one of those post-9/11 babies?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So apparently Rudy forged official White House documents and sent them to the state department in Trump hotel logo folders filled with bull shit conspiracy theories?

This is cartoon level of villainy at display. I feel that some of the villains I grew up watching as kids had more subtlety and tact than these clowns.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
This is the White House gas lighting the impeachment process. They can now say they have credible evidence of Biden's wrong doing and it was ignored by Nancy and democrats in Congress for a democratic witch-hunt to impeach him.

Democrats need to stop saying the info is bogus and take the documents as serious. Investigate then clear Biden and his son. Don't give Trump exactly what he wants, a partisan argument that he can use to rile up senate republicans who are looking for any reason to keep him in office.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Rudy being seen as a hero mayor isn't a "person trolling" with a "thread" - are you one of those post-9/11 babies?
For some reason I read that second part of the comment to refer to just the recent time with everything that's been going on.

Also, this is Era, I'm probably older than you are. Calm it down with that stuff. ;)
Are you trying to say that wasn't the perception? I remember it well, it was. Watching him squander that goodwill, then shit on it, then throw the shit at us has been quite a ride.
Nah, just me misreading the context of the second part.

Don't mind me.

Last edited:

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Rudy should be in prison at some point. Just a brazen, unhinged lawbreaker.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't give Trump exactly what he wants, a partisan argument that he can use to rile up senate republicans who are looking for any reason to keep him in office.
This is going to happen no matter what. They will always find something, so there's no point in ever wasting resources and giving them any credence.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to happen no matter what. They will always find something, so there's no point in ever wasting resources and giving them any credence.
The image to the general public that they are being fair will go a long way instead of scoffing at the documents and pushing them aside.

This is about public perception more than anything. We need more people on our side. We do this by looking as bipartisan as possible regardless of what Shirtbag says on Twitter.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh...

So Guilliani is making is fake dossier, stamping it as official White House and passing it around to the state dept.

edc.gif

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
This is the White House gas lighting the impeachment process. They can now say they have credible evidence of Biden's wrong doing and it was ignored by Nancy and democrats in Congress for a democratic witch-hunt to impeach him.

Democrats need to stop saying the info is bogus and take the documents as serious. Investigate then clear Biden and his son. Don't give Trump exactly what he wants, a partisan argument that he can use to rile up senate republicans who are looking for any reason to keep him in office.

Biden is already cleared. He pushed to fire a prosecutor who wasn't investigating corruption at all, increasing the chances his son's company would be targeted.

The opposite insinuation is already a partisan fabrication.

These people are all insane.

Party leadership at least cleared up what happened today.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's' insane that they are doubling down on the Joe/Hunter Ukraine shit. They have zero evidence of any wrongdoing and this just continues to show how obsessed this administration is with trying to find dirt on their political opponents with zero regard to laws and standard procedure.

If the whistleblower were to be found as a fraud tomorrow and it was revealed that Trump didn't offer any quid-pro-quo, Trump should still be impeached immediately. His own administration released a transcript where it clearly shows Donald illegally asking for help from a foreign government in an attempt to damage a political rival. That was a week ago. So how the fuck is he still president, able to continue to have himself and his cronies (including Rudy) influence anything?!?

It's truly baffling. I mean, I understand why; Republicans don't give a shit as long as they are owning the libs and stealing control of the Supreme Court. It's just insane that that is where we are at. Blatantly party over country.