Oct 27, 2017
Ever since being acquired by Microsoft, this game has gotten a lot of polish. Combat and movement feels so much better. A lot of gameplay tweaks have made this a much more fun experience. Anyone else notice the same?

Last edited:

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Played for first time since launch earlier this year, game is great. One thing to note for potential new players, is that it works great solo as well as co-op, I know a lot of players seem to think it's only a co-op experience. I am expecting great things from the third entry this gen.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Played for first time since launch earlier this year, game is great. One thing to note for potential new players, is that it works great solo as well as co-op, I know a lot of players seem to think it's only a co-op experience. I am expecting great things from the third entry this gen.
Yep! I'm currently playing solo and having a blast

Jan 4, 2018
Yeah, it's a single player game that gives you the option to visit your friends' communities or for them to come visit yours, but its main focus is single player

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Did they ever fix the terrible co-op design where different lootable containers were locked to different co-op players?

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Absolutely. It's a completely different game from what we got at launch and 100% worth checking out if you're a fan of the genre or if you're just looking for something different than the type of game we normally get from big publishers.

There's also a new update for December which adds some QoL features like the map now being more exact with telling you what kind of zombie resistance to expect in a place, has a straight up art/texture revamp for one of the valleys and is adding LIGHTS to bases and outposts to add a sense of "people live here" to places.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I started playing for the first time recently and moved to the Container Fort. It looks like my base is bugged though, I don't have the 8 beds. I had to build my own and take up a large slot. Is there a way to fix this? Maybe move base and move back?

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
The support this game has had is amazing. I've been playing it since release and it's definitely been fine tuned and built upon. The Heartland story, the extra maps, bounties, timed events, clothing… so much. It's one of my favorite games.

Everyone should at least try it.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Op mentions "gameplay tweaks" but doesn't go into detail.

Is there a list of changes I can read somewhere? I played the game about a year ago now? Any reason to return like new content drops?

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
I've tried multiple times to get into it, but it feels clunky to play, and the game dumps so many systems at once it feels overwhelming. I guess it just hasn't clicked for me. I'll be open to trying State of Decay 3 when that comes out though.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
The foundations for a perfect survival game are now fully there. Better gunplay, AI (zombie, companion, and hostile human), animations, melee combat, character models, and better mission design, are still holding the IP back. Hopefully with MS' funding, they should be able to fix all of these in SoD3, then we will have something really special.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Did the starting customization options always exist (tuning difficulty/resources/etc) or were they added in updates? Pretty fun to mess around and tailor it to be more/less stressful.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP, I decided to revisit this game since I last played due to your comments......while there are some cool changes since I last played, Gotta say, this game seems even BUGGIER than when I last played.

Zombies im fighting would just randomly disappear (this actually helps sometimes, when you're fighting a horde), People following me will just get stuck and wont move at all while nothing is impeding their path. you'll move away from them for 100s of yards and they will radio you "wait up" even tho they aren't moving, then either they will run super fast on another side of the map to get to you (which is hilarious) or they will just teleport to you, New recruit, after arriving at base, will just randomly spawn where you are at and then start running to your base again over and over (its like deja vu), zombies disappearing into thin air also has the reverse effect, where they just will appear sometimes, and that doesnt happen often, had a follower in the back of a truck and a zombie jumped on it and the follower jumped out but after jumping out just kept rolling into the ground at the same spot in a loop for about 3 minutes then respawned like 50 feet away fighting zombies. (this was funny and annoying) I don't remember these specific bugs back when I played it before. The one thats the most annoying is when your follower gets stuck and wont move, and that one has happened alot.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
The foundations for a perfect survival game are now fully there. Better gunplay, AI (zombie, companion, and hostile human), animations, melee combat, character models, and better mission design, are still holding the IP back. Hopefully with MS' funding, they should be able to fix all of these in SoD3, then we will have something really special.
Absolutely agree. I played the game last year when I got the series x and liked a lot. I think they are close to hitting it out of the park but still not there.

I would add more meaningful base building as well. I would be nice if it was more free form. Outposts need to be reworked as well. But as it is, it's still a great game.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Absolutely. It's a completely different game from what we got at launch and 100% worth checking out if you're a fan of the genre or if you're just looking for something different than the type of game we normally get from big publishers.

There's also a new update for December which adds some QoL features like the map now being more exact with telling you what kind of zombie resistance to expect in a place, has a straight up art/texture revamp for one of the valleys and is adding LIGHTS to bases and outposts to add a sense of "people live here" to places.
This update's out now btw

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Several months ago I started up playthrough #3 in Trumble Valley after stopping back in 2019 and it really is night and day the quality put into the game post-launch. The amount of QoL fixes and new tools has really transformed SOD2. There's some absolutely insane late game stuff you can unlock that transforms several aspects of your base.

If Undead Labs can keep the current level of quality and have it standard for the launch of State of Decay 3, I imagine I'll be putting dozens of hours into it.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Are you still forced to play 'Paperboy' for the other survivor groups? I could only handle so many requests for yet another bag of food or something and the moment you ignored them (even once sometimes) they threw a fit and left like you didn't save their hides and helped them countless times already. Ingrates. It was not worth the annoyance of maintaining relations with groups that kept pulling you out of what you were doing to deliver something else else you risked losing them.

ps: Is there any more life in base yet? Like visitors or something? (not just lights to make it seem busy)

And did they raise the softcap for survivors?

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Are you still forced to play 'Paperboy' for the other survivor groups? I could only handle so many requests for yet another bag of food or something and the moment you ignored them (even once sometimes) they threw a fit and left like you didn't save their hides and helped them countless times already. Ingrates. It was not worth the annoyance of maintaining relations with groups that kept pulling you out of what you were doing to deliver something else else you risked losing them.

ps: Is there any more life in base yet? Like visitors or something? (not just lights to make it seem busy)

And did they raise the softcap for survivors?

This! I loved the first game but could not stand this one due to other survivor groups always asking for help with unreasonable time frames then getting hostile because I didn't jump to immediately. Bounced off this real quick when that started popping up

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I liked how they kept adding harder and harder modes. The first time meeting a pack of blood ferals was a special moment.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
OP, I decided to revisit this game since I last played due to your comments......while there are some cool changes since I last played, Gotta say, this game seems even BUGGIER than when I last played.

Zombies im fighting would just randomly disappear (this actually helps sometimes, when you're fighting a horde), People following me will just get stuck and wont move at all while nothing is impeding their path. you'll move away from them for 100s of yards and they will radio you "wait up" even tho they aren't moving, then either they will run super fast on another side of the map to get to you (which is hilarious) or they will just teleport to you, New recruit, after arriving at base, will just randomly spawn where you are at and then start running to your base again over and over (its like deja vu), zombies disappearing into thin air also has the reverse effect, where they just will appear sometimes, and that doesnt happen often, had a follower in the back of a truck and a zombie jumped on it and the follower jumped out but after jumping out just kept rolling into the ground at the same spot in a loop for about 3 minutes then respawned like 50 feet away fighting zombies. (this was funny and annoying) I don't remember these specific bugs back when I played it before. The one thats the most annoying is when your follower gets stuck and wont move, and that one has happened alot.
I have NONE of these issues...

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I finished 1 solo, currently play 2 solo.

I'm looking forward to the 3rd one too.

Also, this is the first games I tried the Play Anywhere feature with and it worked great. (I play it on PC too.)

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I played it sometime earlier this year for the first time with the new additions and such. I can't imagine the state the game was in before this.

I enjoyed it for what it was, but didn't really have any interest in continuing after finishing one "run". I feel like I've seen the majority of it and there isn't enough to hold my attention, at least in singleplayer.

I guess it felt more like an interesting concept that hadn't been completely realized. I dunno. It felt...incomplete, somehow, or maybe I'm not imaginative enough and need more unique content. I agree with it seemingly like a good foundation.

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
What a shame that, now, I don't have time to re-play it. Great support indeed, make me optimistic about SOD3

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Bought it on a whim a good while ago (maybe around release?). I did enjoy it back then, but there were some issues. If it has improved since then maybe I should give it another shot.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
Don't know the point of this response. but alright? Good for you? Maybe play a little more.
Maybe you need to do a fresh install or contact the devs then? Because I've had a couple of buggy things happen over the past year but never the amount of problems you've experienced in the game.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I wanted to like this game. I tried it for 3 or 4 hours at launch. But it felt like a game full of pre built assets. Just totally lacking in any defining character.

I might give it another go if its been tidied up a bit at least.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since when were you having these issues, and what platform? I've been playing regularly over the last month on Series X and haven't experienced those myself.
literally said I started playing again about a week ago due to OP, so since then. On PC .

These bugs dont seem to happen at all in Heartland mode. But in the normal game....they pop up for sure.

Maybe you need to do a fresh install or contact the devs then? Because I've had a couple of buggy things happen over the past year but never the amount of problems you've experienced in the game.

yea....that aint it, cause I ended up reinstalling the several days back due to thinking Epic was screwed.

I have plenty of hours .

Ok...game still buggy

I mean....here's 2 quick ones of people experiencing the same shit.

Someone posting about the bug where I talk about ur recruit just randomly running by wherever you are instead of being at base.

Example of bug I talked about Zombie just dissappearing and appearing out of nowhere

Last edited:

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017

I think I have 100 hours on Xbox One, Series S, Series X and PC. Never had any of those issues. I did get the crashing cars a lot though when driving with other people. I actually loved that glitch.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Nextlander did a playthrough of State of Decay 2 this year. They ran into tons of bugs during all of those streams.

The game may well be far better than it was at launch, but let's not pretend like it's some sort of bug free, highly polished experience now.

Last edited:

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up SoD2 just this past summer and the thing that struck me immediately was how much of an overall improvement it was against the original game.

The first SoD almost felt like a proof of concept in comparison.

SoD2 is such a fabulous sandbox-survival game. Base and crew management is actually meaningful and I love how much focus was put into these game systems.

Game runs like an absolute dream as well on even mid-tear hardware (GTX 1080) and looks gorgeous to boot.

I'll always enjoy "budget" zombie survival sims like 7 Days to Die and Project Zomboid more for their deeper simulation aspects, but man for a AAA(ish?) sandbox action title, SoD2 is ace af.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Tried it last year but the gameplay loop was pretty repetitive and the combat system left a bit to be desired.

Hopefully the third game has a good story and better combat.